It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Get Pulled Over-Get Your Phones Content Checked!!!! NO WARRANT

page: 1,
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I am almost at a loss for words after reading this article. Apparently, some agencies have already had extracting devices that can download your entire phones contents!! Something has got to give here folks. Now I know they have slowly but surely been taking our privacy and rights away basically since 9/11, but this to me draws the line. This surely cant be a part of the patriot act? I am starting to think they like pushing our buttons if you ask me.

www.theblaze.com...

I just dont understand how this can be done with NO WARRANT!
edit on 4-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-10-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Easy. Under "contacts" put down your state representative, chief of police, mayor, governor, the state AG, and watch the cops. . . . pucker!

Seriously? The term "warrentless search" comes to mind.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
this already happened when travelling (TSA)

they gone thru my contacts and ask me who are those people!

when i asked, the person with strong spanic accent could only say.. said "RANDOM"

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

Easy. Under "contacts" put down your state representative, chief of police, mayor, governor, the state AG, and watch the cops. . . . pucker!

Seriously? The term "warrentless search" comes to mind.

I like it!!!! Maybe throw Barry Sotero in there for good measure good idea

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Based on the information from the Blackberry, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team exercised a search warrant of the Natoli home ten days later. The SWAT team found and confiscated a cache of weapons, marijuana-growing paraphernalia, and $15,000 in cash.

I think there is very good cause to search some peoples phones. Just do it with a warrant. K thanks.

Wanted to add that this is not allowing cops to pull you over and go through your phone. If you break the law and the phone is in your car they can then go through it. I'm actually less worried about this after finishing the article. To me it's pretty much the same as going through a notebook found in a car.
edit on 4-10-2011 by Domo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
this was brought up earlier this year.

california court backs cell phone searches

preeettty scary!
edit on 10/4/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

Based on the information from the Blackberry, the Santa Cruz County Sheriff’s Office SWAT team exercised a search warrant of the Natoli home ten days later. The SWAT team found and confiscated a cache of weapons, marijuana-growing paraphernalia, and $15,000 in cash.

I think there is very good cause to search some peoples phones. Just do it with a warrant. K thanks.

Yeah they took a couple of stoner gun owners off the street, I for one will sleep alot better at night

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Uh, it sounds like they did a little more than remove some stoner gun owners. 15k in cash, marijuana and a cache of guns does not indicate a normal gun owner with an innocent drug habit.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Simple, just dont store anything on your phone. All you need to do is have one image on there with a raised middle finger saying "Screw you Big Brother" or something similar.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Don't put anything important on your phone, problem solved.

+1 more 
posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Uh, it sounds like they did a little more than remove some stoner gun owners. 15k in cash, marijuana and a cache of guns does not indicate a normal gun owner with an innocent drug habit.

I guess we will never know? Last time I checked I have weapons, a safe filled with my money(I dont use banks) oh and I happen to use medical marijuana. I am however FAR from a criminal my friend.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Well all I have to say to this is that I am glad that I live in Canada. Cop's can't just randomly search your phone here for nothing. Especially on a traffic stop, they need something legit before they can go rooting through your phone. And if there is a legit for the police to be snooping through your stuff, well, then either you are doing something bad, or they already know whats going on. Just taking your phone from you during a routine stop would be considered and illegal search and seizure seeing as they had no probable cause to search it before hand, or a warrant none-the-less.

Go Canada ^_^ well... Ontario anyway....

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
MD just passed a similar law like this that they can now pull you over for mere suspicion of texting and driving. My question is, how would they be able to access your phone if it has a password/droid puzzle unlock scheme?? And how would that pan out if I threw it in the glovebox before the officer comes to the window??

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by mileslong54

Don't put anything important on your phone, problem solved.

This. When i did bad stuff i made sure nothing suspicious was in my phone.

Agreed with the cat guy. searching phone is ok with a warrant. What if some momma baby killer had a whole article of how she killed her baby on only her phone? I would be glad the cops looked, i hate baby killers.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

I guess we will never know? Last time I checked I have weapons, a safe filled with my money(I dont use banks) oh and I happen to use medical marijuana. I am however FAR from a criminal my friend.

I never claimed you were a criminal. I am saying that after reading that article it's fairly obvious that this young man was a criminal.

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

So says the arresting LEOs.

Let's try another perspective:
$15 k won't buy a used tacoma.. hardly a drug dealer.
That's nothing in that context.

cache of weapons : 2 hunting rifles and a .22 in a nightstand.... could be called a Cache of weapons..semantics changes everything, yes?

Marijuanna growing equipment: 2 grow lamps and some fox farm fertilized houseplant soil....maybe a bong and some scraps of pot.

( BTW, this isn't even illegal in every state..so hardly a serious crime.)

this justifies warrantless searches of cellphones?
to bust stoned potheads?
THIS is why rights were taken?
Show me the terror cell of mad bombers this exact stupid law has helped catch, or in fact, show me anyone other than simple BS low level infraction this helped "catch".

I'll wait.................

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   

I never claimed you were a criminal. I am saying that after reading that article it's fairly obvious that this young man was a criminal.

Your right and im sorry I just happen to be VERY PASSIONATE about this story and just feel this is unacceptable with no WARRANT. Where will it end if you just let them get away with a little more here and there? Again, sorry to take it out on ya

posted on Oct, 4 2011 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Don't they already know your contacts and read your texts anyways?
I mean facebook already uploads all of your contacts...someone is probably looking at that information.

And we all know the patriot act lets them read your texts.

Don't get me wrong, I don't support any of this and am greatly opposed to it. But you should've been angry a long time ago...you're late to the game.

link   

Originally posted by AllUrChips

Marijuanna is less addictive than caffine and nicotine, so you could make the statement "15k in cash, cigarettes, Dr. Pepper's and a cache of guns does not indicate a normal gun owner with an innocent drug habit."
What indicates normal gun owner's? Starbucks and Skittles with a cache of guns?
edit on 4-10-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68

So says the arresting LEOs.

Let's try another perspective:
$15 k won't buy a used tacoma.. hardly a drug dealer.
That's nothing in that context.

cache of weapons : 2 hunting rifles and a .22 in a nightstand.... could be called a Cache of weapons..semantics changes everything, yes?

Marijuanna growing equipment: 2 grow lamps and some fox farm fertilized houseplant soil....maybe a bong and some scraps of pot.

( BTW, this isn't even illegal in every state..so hardly a serious crime.)

this justifies warrantless searches of cellphones?
to bust stoned potheads?
THIS is why rights were taken?
Show me the terror cell of mad bombers this exact stupid law has helped catch, or in fact, show me anyone other than simple BS low level infraction this helped "catch".

I'll wait.................

Thank you. Very well done. Could not have said it better

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join