It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

‘Your homosexual devil’. God apparently won't tolerate it. Neither will Pastor Damon Thompson

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Partisanity

Originally posted by mademyself1984
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Why would God create murderers, adulterers, pedophiles, rapists, drug dealers....see where I'm going with this?

And which one of those could God have put in as a form of humane, natural population control? How many times has the "Word of God" been warped to suit human interest... even IN the Bible itself? How many times did the word "homosexual" appear in the Bible before the 50s?

How many "Christians" have researched the book themselves instead of clinging to other peoples' "interpretations" of it?
edit on 27-9-2011 by Partisanity because: (no reason given)

How many times are people going to pick and choose what they argue? The only research anybody needs to do in their Bible to answer your first question is read the book of Genesis...you know, that whole do not eat from this tree for the fruit is rotten? And She did? And then God gave me free will. God gave me the ability to feel shame. God gave me the ability to do wrong. You are now doing the exact same thing bigots do. Judging people for their beliefs or way of life. I know what my Bible says. I have a Bible that was given to me by my Great Grandmother, that belonged to her mother...and it doesn't read any differently than the Bible sitting in my church right now. Nice work on " " the word Christians by the way. You sure seem like a pretty level headed person. I'm not clinging to anything. I'm pointing out that it's possible for people of every gender, race, creed, and sexuality to in fact get along. You seem to be the one having an issue with that.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 05:54 AM
link   
If I didn't know better I'd say people are more angry about the fact that kids in church were acknowledging their homosexuality (which is pretty commendable) because they, at least for a moment, wanted to discontinue being homosexuals, and instead become Christians. That is what they chose. Are they intolerant now? Will homosexuals now ridicule them because they decided to follow a path of Christianity? This isn't a two way street, and the amount of contradictions in a short 2 pages of replies is unbelievable.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Here's my solution. People that don't practice religion, just say "Oh that's just silly." People that don't practice homosexuality, just say "Oh that's just silly." If you want to pass judgment because of what I believe, or anybody else believes, you might as well be as nice about it as you can, instead of telling me my beliefs are bull#, and yours are perfect. I think I'm just going to discontinue interjecting any logical non-degrading conversation into any threads regarding homosexuality because as a straight, white, christian, male, who is in the military and pursuing a career as a police officer, I am always the hateful, sexist, intolerant, racist, bible thumping, bigot of a right stealing murderer whose views, beliefs, and lifestyle, should not be considered rationally or respectfully....regardless of how reasonable I am.
edit on 9/27/2011 by mademyself1984 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   

See but you don't add anything to either side by spewing crap like that. I'm not defending the post in question. I'm simply stating YOU think religion is BS. Some people, think homosexuality is BS. I don't think religion is BS, and as a Christian who frequently attends church, I'm not fearful of homosexuals, I'm not hateful of homosexuals, and even though I am enlisted in the United States Army, I'm not exactly a fan of war. Things that will always exist, love, tolerance, acceptance. Things that will also always exist, fear, hate, and war. Nearly 7 billion people on this planet, I might personally know 7 or 800 of them...of that demographic, I might consider 5 or 6 of them VERY good friends. I might love 70 or 80. I might not care for 2 or 300. And I might be impartial to the rest. If everybody (and this includes you) just let everyone be, there would in fact be a lot less fear, hate and war. Religion doesn't spread those things, intolerance, that word people like to throw around like it has no weight, is what spreads those things. Again, a Christian who does not support homosexuality is not intolerant. A homosexual who understands this is not intolerant. A soldier who serves his country (regardless of the reasons he is sent to fight) and genuinely cares about the people whose country he is occupying, is not intolerant. The people of said country that shakes that soldiers hand are not intolerant. An atheist who befriends or loves religious people is not intolerant, and a religious person who befriends or loves atheists are not intolerant. A good example of intolerance is in your post. "Religion is BS..." That's fine. To me it isn't. I'm a pretty tolerant fellow.

No crap was spewed. I responded on topic, to an on topic post in this thread....

Yes, I think religion is BS. But did you not notice that 99% of my post was about the thread topic? Not religion? So why are you focusing in on my quick comment about some one talking about anti-Christian sentiment? What do you have to say about the rest of my post, where I discuss the topic of this thread?

So let me ask you, what does your post add? You are the one going on about religion. Everyone else is talking about Homosexuality and how this man in the video is spreading hatred.

You want to talk about things that will always be here? Homosexuality will always be here. Whether you support it or not. It is something people are born with, just as others are born straight.

You make no sense. I do not support religion, so I am intolerant? Yet you or others do not support homosexuality and it is not intolerant?

You can't have it both ways, chief. I say religion is BS, you say " homosexuality is BS".

So... are we both tolerant or intolerant? I will let you decide,

edit on 27-9-2011 by gimme_some_truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

See but you don't add anything to either side by spewing crap like that. I'm not defending the post in question. I'm simply stating YOU think religion is BS. Some people, think homosexuality is BS. I don't think religion is BS, and as a Christian who frequently attends church, I'm not fearful of homosexuals, I'm not hateful of homosexuals, and even though I am enlisted in the United States Army, I'm not exactly a fan of war. Things that will always exist, love, tolerance, acceptance. Things that will also always exist, fear, hate, and war. Nearly 7 billion people on this planet, I might personally know 7 or 800 of them...of that demographic, I might consider 5 or 6 of them VERY good friends. I might love 70 or 80. I might not care for 2 or 300. And I might be impartial to the rest. If everybody (and this includes you) just let everyone be, there would in fact be a lot less fear, hate and war. Religion doesn't spread those things, intolerance, that word people like to throw around like it has no weight, is what spreads those things. Again, a Christian who does not support homosexuality is not intolerant. A homosexual who understands this is not intolerant. A soldier who serves his country (regardless of the reasons he is sent to fight) and genuinely cares about the people whose country he is occupying, is not intolerant. The people of said country that shakes that soldiers hand are not intolerant. An atheist who befriends or loves religious people is not intolerant, and a religious person who befriends or loves atheists are not intolerant. A good example of intolerance is in your post. "Religion is BS..." That's fine. To me it isn't. I'm a pretty tolerant fellow.

No crap was spewed. I responded on topic, to an on topic post in this thread....

Yes, I think religion is BS. But did you not notice that 99% of my post was about the thread topic? Not religion? So why are you focusing in on my quick comment about some one talking about anti-Christian sentiment? What do you have to say about the rest of my post, where I discuss the topic of this thread?

So let me ask you, what does your post add? You are the one going on about religion. Everyone else is talking about Homosexuality and how this man in the video is spreading hatred.

You want to talk about things that will always be here? Homosexuality will always be here. Whether you support it or not. It is something people are born with, just as others are born straight.

You make no sense. I do not support religion, so I am intolerant? Yet you or others do not support homosexuality and it is not intolerant?

You can't have it both ways, chief. I say religion is BS, you say " homosexuality is BS".

So... are we both tolerant or intolerant? I will let you decide,

Me thinks you need to re-read all of my posts, and reevaluate the topic of the thread in the first place. This thread is certainly about religion.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Here's my solution. People that don't practice religion, just say "Oh that's just silly." People that don't practice homosexuality, just say "Oh that's just silly." If you want to pass judgment because of what I believe, or anybody else believes, you might as well be as nice about it as you can, instead of telling me my beliefs are bull#, and yours are perfect. I think I'm just going to discontinue interjecting any logical non-degrading conversation into any threads regarding homosexuality because as a straight, white, christian, male, who is in the military and pursuing a career as a police officer, I am always the hateful, sexist, intolerant, racist, bible thumping, bigot of a right stealing murderer whose views, beliefs, and lifestyle, should not be considered rationally or respectfully....regardless of how reasonable I am.

Religion is something you practice... It is something you choose to do.

If you actually believe that homosexuality is a choice that you can practice, then you really should not be in here talking.

Here is the deal, Homosexuality is not a choice. Just like being straight is not a choice. Unless of course you would like to share with us the time in which you were a child, you sat down and started thinking to your self about what sex you were going to be attracted to, how you went about weighing the pro's and con's of each possibility and how you came to your conclusion?

Oh, you didn't do that? Well, Gay people didn't either.

Suggesting that being gay is a practice.... is not logical, sorry.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Me thinks you need to re-read all of my posts, and reevaluate the topic of the thread in the first place. This thread is certainly about religion.

The topic of this thread is " Your homosexual devil. God apparently wont tolerate it. Neither will Pastor Damon Thompson".

The topic is that a man is spreading hatred of gay people within the church and making it seem like it is wrong or shameful....

I have read your posts and responded to them....

I lost you after you said it is intolerant to call religion BS, but it is not intolerant to say homosexuality is BS....

Can't have it both ways....

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   

If I didn't know better I'd say people are more angry about the fact that kids in church were acknowledging their homosexuality (which is pretty commendable) because they, at least for a moment, wanted to discontinue being homosexuals, and instead become Christians. That is what they chose. Are they intolerant now? Will homosexuals now ridicule them because they decided to follow a path of Christianity? This isn't a two way street, and the amount of contradictions in a short 2 pages of replies is unbelievable.

I can't speak for everyone else, but I think it is great if some one wants to pursue a religion. I think regardless of anyones beliefs, they should stick to them and practice them fully and proudly.

Here is the deal, you can choose to be Christian or Islamic or Jewish, but you cannot choose to stop being gay. Your sexual orientation is not a choice..... No matter how much you want it to be.

The problem for me is that this man is suggesting that homosexuality is wrong, and it is not....

This is not about the church as a whole despite your seeming to want it to be. its about this particular man. Spreading hatred, making people think it is wrong to be gay.

Do you think it is wrong to be gay? Or do you agree that being gay is not a choice, that it is okay to be gay, and spreading hatred of gay people and trying to convince others that being gay is bad, is wrong and mean?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   
reply to post by gimme_some_truth

Again, quit with this attitude that I am somehow attacking homosexuality. You either a.) jumped into this thread, read one post, and began commenting. Or b.) you read the thread, and everything I have posted has gone over your head. I don't care to dispute if it is a choice or not, and I don't have a problem with people that believe it isn't. I don't have a problem with homosexuality. I don't have a problem with homosexuals wanting to marry, or adopt children, or serve in their military. However, it is not intolerant of a preacher to denounce homosexuality. That is all I'm saying. I'm failing to see how this is complicated in the slightest, and I'm also failing to see how you can accuse anyone who doesn't share your views or beliefs or lifestyle as intolerant or misguided, and proceed to call their religious views bull#. You said it yourself. You can't have it both ways. Which is what I've been saying in every single post. I coexist just fine with homosexuals. Why is it so difficult for you to coexist with Christians? I have acknowledged several times that people are who people are and it is stupid for people to ever debate that. If the kids in the video were attending church, and had made the decision that they wanted to be Christians, and they approached the alter for a prayer of forgiveness for their homosexuality (which I have repeatedly alluded to being something that that does not require forgiveness, but you must have conveniently missed the part about me being proud of my loved one for choosing to live his life as a young gay man in the open, because that is a pretty courageous decision considering the world we live in) then that was in FACT their decision. Whether or not homosexuality is a choice isn't the issue here. They CHOSE to acknowledge it, and they CHOSE to change, whether or not they can, and whether or not they should...is an entirely different topic of discussion. The very first post in this thread was citing a preacher "spewing hate" and "outing teens in church"....he was a little extreme in his message, but he did neither of those things. This thread, again, is certainly about religion.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

I am always the hateful, sexist, intolerant, racist, bible thumping, bigot of a right stealing murderer whose views, beliefs, and lifestyle, should not be considered rationally or respectfully....regardless of how reasonable I am.

Oh and please note I did not once say any of those things about you or to you. If you leave, that is all on you.

Hey, you have your right to your opinion. I have my right to disagree and state my opinion.

No one said we have to agree.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

The topic of this thread is " Your homosexual devil. God apparently wont tolerate it. Neither will Pastor Damon Thompson".

The topic is that a man is spreading hatred of gay people within the church and making it seem like it is wrong or shameful....

I have read your posts and responded to them....

I lost you after you said it is intolerant to call religion BS, but it is not intolerant to say homosexuality is BS....

Can't have it both ways....

See, again. You are missing the point. He refers to the "homosexual devil", because homosexuality, to a practicing Christian, is a sin. Sin is synonymous with the devil. He isn't "spreading hatred". And to the Christian church it IS wrong and shameful. I don't know why this is hard to comprehend...and I would really like you to show me where I ever said it is not intolerant to call homosexuality BS. I'm pretty sure I didn't say that. Actually I've maintained throughout this thread that homosexuality really doesn't bother me. I don't have an issue with anybody being Gay or Lesbian. Really doesn't bother me. If homosexuals can't understand that Christianity has always maintained homosexuality as a deadly sin, then that really isn't my problem. Nobody is being unfair to them. That's the way Christianity is, and that is the way it has been, and people that practice it and practice it hard will never stop believing that. That doesn't make them any more or less intolerant than the homosexual that accuses Christians as being hateful. Kids bullying homosexuals aren't the ones that are attending church on Sunday and serving as youth counselors at Bible Camps...I can tell you that much. Your gripe isn't with Christians, it is with parents that have instilled no sense of compassion or caring or love for your neighbor and brother in their children. Kids that are raised to do nothing but compete and be bigger, and better, and smarter, and stronger, and nothing else matters. Kids raised to love and help others aren't the ones being cruel.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Again, quit with this attitude that I am somehow attacking homosexuality.

I never once accused you of attacking homosexuality. I am merely responding to your words. If you can't handle that.... tough.

You either a.) jumped into this thread, read one post, and began commenting. Or b.) you read the thread, and everything I have posted has gone over your head.

I disagree with things you have said, so I am either clueless or just plain stupid? God, the world needs another cop like you.

I don't care to dispute if it is a choice or not,

Ok, then don't post about whether or not it is a choice. If you do some one is going to respond and assume you want to discuss it.

and I don't have a problem with people that believe it isn't. I don't have a problem with homosexuality. I don't have a problem with homosexuals wanting to marry, or adopt children, or serve in their military. However, it is not intolerant of a preacher to denounce homosexuality. That is all I'm saying.

Oh, I agreed with you up until that last sentence... Again, how come it is intolerant of me to denounce religion, yet it is not intolerant to denounce homosexuality? You really don't see the hypocrisy in your words?

I'm failing to see how this is complicated in the slightest, and I'm also failing to see how you can accuse anyone who doesn't share your views or beliefs or lifestyle as intolerant or misguided, and proceed to call their religious views bull#. You said it yourself. You can't have it both ways.

Talk about things going over your head....If it is intolerant of me to denounce religion, then what does it make some one who denounces homosexuality?

My point is, it is not intolerant of me to denounce religion and it is not intolerant to denounce homosexuality. But it is wrong and mean to spread hatred of gay people....

If you can support the denunciation of homosexuality, then back off and let me support the denunciation of religion...

Get it now?

Which is what I've been saying in every single post. I coexist just fine with homosexuals. Why is it so difficult for you to coexist with Christians?

Why are you assuming I hate Christians?
Just because I do not practice religion, you assume I hate everyone who practices religion? Hmmm...

You really aren't seeing the double standards you have set up for yourself here are you?

I co-exist with people of all religions, races, sexual orientations, genders, and handicaps just fine....

I have acknowledged several times that people are who people are and it is stupid for people to ever debate that.

Well, I am a person who finds religion to be BS. Still want to debate that?

If the kids in the video were attending church, and had made the decision that they wanted to be Christians, and they approached the alter for a prayer of forgiveness for their homosexuality (which I have repeatedly alluded to being something that that does not require forgiveness, but you must have conveniently missed the part about me being proud of my loved one for choosing to live his life as a young gay man in the open

First of all, of course it does not require forgiveness.There is nothing wrong with being gay!

And you conveniently missed the part where I encourage everyone with a religious belief to practice it fully.

because that is a pretty courageous decision considering the world we live in) then that was in FACT their decision. Whether or not homosexuality is a choice isn't the issue here.

It is an issue when you keep bringing it up and saying that being gay is a choice...because it is not.

They CHOSE to acknowledge it, and they CHOSE to change, whether or not they can, and whether or not they should...is an entirely different topic of discussion.

Oh please, you know damn well that is not the kind of choice you were getting at. Again, if you don't want to discuss choice, quit bringing it up.

The very first post in this thread was citing a preacher "spewing hate" and "outing teens in church"....he was a little extreme in his message, but he did neither of those things. This thread, again, is certainly about religion.

See, you talk and say that no hatred is being spewed. Then in the next breath go on to say that being gay is a sin. You say that to the church it is wrong and shameful.

Yeah... Sounds really.... loving....

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   

And I completely agree with you, so we are clear, that it isn't a choice. That doesn't change the way Christianity is practiced nor should it. Just like I don't necessarily believe it's appropriate for the preacher to go about his sermon the way he did. I stated in the beginning of the thread I would have left his service and never returned. But I disagree with the belief he is preaching hate. He as a preacher most likely really believes he is helping those kids. And if it isn't a choice, he won't ever acknowledge that, because he will always believe that God can "cure" or "forgive" it. I just think people overreact. Denouncing homosexuality in the workplace, or the military, or school, or in your community is certainly intolerant. Believing it is a sin and wanting to help someone stop sinning in the confines of a church is not. Homosexuals with Christian friends or family, that understand that are not intolerant of religious people. It's the ones that accuse me or any other Christian of spreading hate that are missing the point. Religion isn't for everyone. Homosexuality isn't for everyone. I see all sides of this argument and I believe if both sides just acknowledged they can co-exist and be in disagreement people would spend more time focusing on the people that really are hateful and cruel.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

show me where I ever said it is not intolerant to call homosexuality BS. I'm pretty sure I didn't say that.

gladly

a Christian who does not support homosexuality is not intolerant.

Yet some how.... It is intolerant of me to say that religion spreads hate, fear and war....

Hmmm....How many wars have been started in the name of religion anyway?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   
Again! How is it intolerant for a preacher to preach what the Bible tells him to preach? I don't hear hate coming from that pastor. I hear a pretty fired up and over the top way of preaching what the Bible says, but in the end he is calling homosexuals to the alter to pray with and for them so they may be forgiven and rejuvenated as Christians. Certainly is not hateful, he obviously has a genuine (whether or not it is warranted) concern for these individuals because of the religion he practices. It isn't intolerance...it's a preacher being a preacher. Intolerance would be telling homosexuals to leave his congregation. Westboro Baptist is intolerant. Your normal church that is found in MOST communities is not. Are their people in communities who put on a Sunday face and live different lives 6 days out of the week? Certainly. But most churches are full of people that will always welcome people from any background into their congregation. That's a fact.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:17 AM
link   

I stated in the beginning of the thread I would have left his service and never returned. But I disagree with the belief he is preaching hate.

yeah, as you said, he is just preaching that being gay is a sin, shameful and wrong....

You really don't see where people get hatred from, sin, shameful and wrong?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Again! How is it intolerant for a preacher to preach what the Bible tells him to preach?

You don't consider it intolerant when some one speaks and says it is wrong and shameful to be gay?

Well, I do.

Hmm... Wonder why he is not preaching about "loving thy neighbor"?

Wait... Which is right?Love thy neighbor or try to change them for being wrong, shameful and a sinner?

Oh don't forget... Being gay is of the devil, so clearly gay people are evil right?

You really don't see how people can take that as a message of hatred against gay people?

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   

It isn't intolerance...it's a preacher being a preacher. Intolerance would be telling homosexuals to leave his congregation. Westboro Baptist is intolerant.

Intolerance is telling some one it is wrong or shameful of them to be who they are.

It is intolerant if some one says it is wrong to be black. it is intolerant if some one says it is wrong to be handicapped. It is intolerant to say it is wrong to be gay.

I do not think it is wrong to be gay and I do not think it is wrong to follow any one religion....

yet the Christian religion ( and others) say it is wrong to be gay..... Intolerance.

Anyway, I really need to get to bed. I have been up all night.

So you take care and good luck on becoming a police officer, where you will help to enforce laws such as this.

Civil Rights Act of 1964

Peace and love.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:31 AM
link   

The CHOICE I was talking about was in fact the choice to pray for the strength to stop practicing homosexuality as it is a deadly sin. If they made the decision to live as Christians, then they made the decision to pray to "be cured" of homosexuality. I'm not saying, nor have I implied or maintained that it can or should be "cured". It isn't intolerant, because it is Christianity! I'm a Christian. I don't hate homosexuals. However, in order to practice Christianity you can't be homosexual...that doesn't make me intolerant. The word denounce is probably the wrong one to use in order to say what I am trying to say...it isn't intolerant for you to denounce religion. It is intolerant for you to generalize Christians as people who spread hate for practicing what they preach. It isn't intolerant for a Christian to think homosexuality is a sin. It is intolerant for a Christian to treat someone differently, or shun them, or belittle them because of their homosexuality. I've never been in a Church where "hate" was being preached. I've been in plenty that teach love and kindness. I'm not a devout Bible thumping Christian. I have my hangups. I've had me some pre-marital sex, I've smoked some mary jane, I like to drink some beer, and at times I curse like a sailor. But I've ALWAYS been accepted at my Church, and if it weren't for Church, I probably wouldn't be as tolerant as I am. Homosexuality is a bigger topic now than it has ever been. I would expect there to be controversy because not everyone in the world was brought up to respect people for who they are. This thread just got under my skin because the preacher was taken entirely out of context (and I'll say again, the dude sounds nuts, I agree), and made to sound hateful.

posted on Sep, 27 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Anyways my friend, it's been a great debate, glad somebody was awake to converse with! You raise several good points regarding religion and homosexuality, however I still don't believe Christianity is spewing hate. Hell, my experience with growing up in a church going family is probably what led me to be so tolerant of people of all shapes, sizes, colors, and sexual preferences. I grew up in a community where that isn't the case with most people. Anyways, I like a good conversation with thought out opinions and do not take personally anything I say. I don't know you (you are a screen name on a computer screen) It's been entertaining and I hope you have a fantastic day. I've gotta get ready for work, cheers!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join