It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Widespread reports of meteor over US Southwest

page: 10
<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
reply to post by BlastedCaddy

I remember this vaguely. There was also a site. Can't find the thread.

This was posted on youtube minutes ago: www.youtube.com...
edit on 15-9-2011 by BlutAusNord because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
reply to post by tallcool1

I don't think it's invading space monsters. It might be some secret aircraft that got off it's base or some strange weather phenomenon. Just going down the prepared list of how to debunk something unusual in the sky is getting a little tired. Are you sure it wasn't Chinese lanterns or skydivers?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   
I think the question is, how many people saw the first event, the zigzagging light, and over what area. I suppose the right place to look for this information would be the hundreds of comments left on the original news articles posted on this, and see what people saw, when they saw it, and where they were located, then maybe we can begin to sort out this mess.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

I remember seeing footage of the Peekskill meteor as well on TV.
Thanks for bringing it up.

For anyone who missed it.

At the last second of the video it shows the red car that got slammed by the meteor.
Does insurance cover meteor strikes?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by TheWorldSpins

Meteors cannot zigzag. That's pretty impossible I'd think.

However, if the camera was shaken violently during the photograph, than it could explain the zig zag.

But, in the instance that nothing is wrong with the camera and it was not being shaken, than it was not a meteor for sure and it was certainly something else.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel
reply to post by tallcool1

I don't think it's invading space monsters. It might be some secret aircraft that got off it's base or some strange weather phenomenon. Just going down the prepared list of how to debunk something unusual in the sky is getting a little tired. Are you sure it wasn't Chinese lanterns or skydivers?

So, since I think there was two different, rationally explainable events and don't get all giddy - you resort to the highly intellectual name calling. Well played.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

The ABC reporter said he left his camera shutter open to capture the image posted by TheWorldSpins. It does show the movement of the first object.

By the way you can still buy pieces of the original Peekskill meteorite at $13,500 for a 67.5 gram slice.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
It seems no one wanted to pay attention to my other post a few pages back so perhaps this will satisfy peoples need for knowledge? It's a link to the all sky camera network listing all the cameras in the areas and along with the operator names and contact info. This might help in searching for more info and better video than some youtube links?

allsky.ca...
edit on 15-9-2011 by jaynkeel because: Forgot link

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nicolas Flamel

The ABC reporter said he left his camera shutter open to capture the image posted by TheWorldSpins. It does show the movement of the first object.

By the way you can still buy pieces of the original Peekskill meteorite at $13,500 for a 67.5 gram slice.

Wow, 13,500 $ for 67 grams, thats way overpriced!

A whole meteor usually sells for 20,000 to 50,000 $ typically.

But I guess when it hits a car on the bumper, it increases the value by say, 10,000 %?

Makes me want to go out hunting for legit meteorites to sell to the highest bidder! Now that's a job, the modern 49er.

link   
Wow - that CNN video (the second unnecessary half) is so AWFUL - why did they bother -

uh I guess to make everyone tune out and off and move on asap. The only explanation I can think of for editing the first part and not the second part.

ugh - how useless - Main Stream Media

edition.cnn.com...

link   

Originally posted by EvolEric
Could be made up... but I read that someone in The United Kingdom... South UK...
Saw some strange shooting lights... said they were more like Orbs of light shooting...

I was one of those people. I am from the northwest though and I remember having a large orange/white glowing orb above my head for around 30 seconds before it started to move upwards and just disappear into the sky, although it didn't seem to go high enough to go out of vision, just as if someone turned the lights out.

My mum was also with me and saw this same thing too but yes, I would definitely call what I saw a orange/white burning orb, with no sound but an Erie feel.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
reply to post by gift0fpr0phecy

It clearly moves right and then back to the left.

So no back at ya, it is not free falling like a meteorite.

Regards, Skellon.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   

Meteorites that are notorious for hitting something on earth are called "Hammer Stones" and they increase the value of the material sometimes a thousand fold. Another example would be the Claxton stone, which destroyed a mailbox. This meteorite is over $1000 a gram. I am a meteorite collector, and have small samples of Peekskill and Claxton. They turned out to be great investments when held over time.

Pieces of the Forest Park, Illinois meteorite are also super valuable, as it went through the roofs of a few houses. An almost impossible to get meteorite. Then there is the famous Nahkla stone (a piece of Mars) that hit a dog in the head and killed it...... Another impossible to get sample.

One other note, as stated earlier , meteors that "change direction" are considered an impossibility, however, there is one case that has never been adequately explained. It is the famous corkscrew meteor, filmed by an astronomer that was peering into the tail of comet Halley. Link here:

astronomer.proboards.com...

The only known photograph of a meteor trail that is definitevely a corkscrew pattern, like it was tumbling is a tight spiral.
Some astronomers still think this is an impossible scenario for a meteor, but the photo is genuine and the jury will probably always be out.

edit on 15-9-2011 by charlyv because: spelling where caught

edit on 15-9-2011 by charlyv because: replaced meteor with meteorite, a big difference.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:55 PM
link   

I totally agree with you.

The footage that some poster has back on page 2 clearly shows this light moves to the right and then back to the left. You can tell by the truck in the foreground. It moves to the right of it's wheel arch and then back.

This is either a weather event or an intelligently controlled craft, terestial or otherwise.

Regards, Skellon.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by UberL33t

What time was this?

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
Point of interest, I live 70 miles north of NYC. on Sept.12th 10:45-11:15 PM I stepped out for a smoke in my back yard. Looking into the night sky as I often do, I am an avid Satlelite hunter and star gazer. I saw an object to the north north west (at about 340 degrees) low on the horizon (about 50+ degrees above the horizon) It was what looked like a meteor transiting due north away from me. It was all white but pretty big with a tail. It was not a streak or short in duration as most all other sightings of meteors I have had. Lasted about 4-6 seconds. I thought " that was a wierd one." Just thought I would put this out there. Any one else see it? I think we're gonna see more of these.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
I saw these lights last night from Maricopa, AZ. Alot of news stations are now saying it was a weather balloon. I have never seen a weather balloon sit that still then just be gone....

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
Somebody wake me up if the meteor report changes to FIRST CONTACT....

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by charlyv

Wow thank you for the information about the meteorite collectors market. Very interesting.

Thanks also for the photo of the 'corkscrew meteor', I find it fascinating.

I don't see anything wrong with it though, it seems reasonable although admittedly ultra-rare.

But with the way things 'tumble' as they fly through space it is no surprise that eventually one of them may exhibit a 'corkscrew' type of flight trajectory as they enter the atmosphere.

There could be all kinds of factors at play that could result in something like that, I am kind of surprised that some people are baffled by it. It seems very mathematical and I frankly see no problem with the fact.

Very good post Charlyv, you taught me a few things. Keep up the good work!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by JudgeDeath
And so it begins...dun dun dun dun!
2nd

It's about time though right?

no doom and gloom though. We need things like this though. simple things like this bring us together as humans.

new topics

top topics

<< 7  8  9    11  12  13 >>

join