It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Widespread reports of meteor over US Southwest

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Noobastronomer

LOL…. you can rest well…. Looks like it will be changed to Weather Balloon!!!!

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

You are most welcome. If you are interested in collecting meteorites, joining a group like IMCA or the "Meteorite List" will certainly get you started in the right direction. There is a wealth of knowledge in these groups, and they are staffed by some of the best in the business.

On the 'corkscrew' case, the scientists that have a problem with this are those that say that the centrifugal inertia created by an object traveling at over 25km a second, in such a tight spiral, would just rip it apart. They even say it would happen if the object were solid iron... A great mystery.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
Alright, this could very well be a meteor but things on earth just ain't right. Something just ain't right...

Originally posted by NervousNJerky
Point of interest, I live 70 miles north of NYC. on Sept.12th 10:45-11:15 PM I stepped out for a smoke in my back yard. Looking into the night sky as I often do, I am an avid Satlelite hunter and star gazer.

It amazes me how many of us step out for a smoke and a gaze
Don't mind me being chased out of the house if i wanna have a smoke!

Originally posted by Noobastronomer
Somebody wake me up if the meteor report changes to FIRST CONTACT....

Noobastronomer, Love your avatar! RVP is the man!

edit on 9/15/2011 by qonone because: grammar

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Dont think this video has been posted yet, but its the best I've seen so far. 720p too

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Thanks for the reply. Could it also be over exposure by the camera man?

As seen here, with stars:

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by dankojudd
Dont think this video has been posted yet, but its the best I've seen so far. 720p too

Wow, that is some very eerie footage right there. What the heck is going on?! Definitely not a meteorite.

Foreshadowing for a natural disaster? The Big One? I hope not. I live very close to where the estimated epicentre would be located.
edit on 15-9-2011 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
Hello I've been following ATS for a couple of years now just reading never posted anything. Just wanted to thank everyone that contributes to this site and makes it what it is today a great forum.

I had to sign up today just so I can post about this... I live in South Florida and there is a HUGE brownish,grey cloud covering most of the sky and some reports on my facebook feed say that it's there's flakes coming down and when you touch them it's like ashes. I'm pretty confused about this but I have a feeling something is happening I've never seen this before. Maybe someone that knows about this can tell me its nothing to worry about and I can go on with my day.. lol.

EDIT - SOME of the sky is sunny.. and blue the other half theres that huge cloud
edit on 15-9-2011 by Constantine90 because: added something

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Constantine90

Would you be able to post a picture/video of it? That would be much appreciated. Thanks.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by phoenixlights321

Originally posted by dankojudd

Wow, that is some very eerie footage right there. What the heck is going on?! Definitely not a meteorite.

Foreshadowing for a natural disaster? The Big One? I hope not. I live very close to where the estimated epicentre would be located.
edit on 15-9-2011 by phoenixlights321 because: (no reason given)

Amazing how fast the hoaxers and crackpots jump on every Meteor, Fireball or Bolide. Stretching ten seconds of footage into such a long video is proof of deception.

The part at the end is just a grossly out of focus shot. The shape is the shape of the aperture in the camera (cheap camera too from the aperture shape). The object did not change shape. You can point any camera at any bright spot of light and take it out of focus to get that effect. You never know if it intentional or just a person who does not know how to use their equipment. We see people hoaxing using that effect all the time. By now everyone here should know what it is.

Now to sit back and watch the fun as the YouTube Hoaxers weave this into dozens of garbage video's.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Hello, my name is jared. I am in love with meterology and i hope this helps because this is what you are clearly seeing...

Special Weather Statement
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
239 PM EDT THU SEP 15 2011

FLZ067-068-071-072-168-172-152045-
INLAND PALM BEACH-METRO PALM BEACH-INLAND BROWARD-METRO BROWARD-
COASTAL PALM BEACH-COASTAL BROWARD-
INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...PAHOKEE...SOUTH BAY...BELLE GLADE...
WELLINGTON...LION COUNTRY SAFARI...SOUTH COUNTY REGIONAL PARK...
PALM SPRINGS...FLORIDA GARDENS...ABERDEEN...BOCA WEST...
MICCOSUKEE INDIAN RESERVATION...MARKHAM PARK...COCONUT CREEK...
CORAL SPRINGS...TAMARAC...SUNRISE...PLANTATION...DAVIE...
COOPER CITY...HOLLYWOOD...PEMBROKE PINES...MIRAMAR...JUPITER...
WEST PALM BEACH...BOCA RATON...POMPANO BEACH...FORT LAUDERDALE...
FORT LAUDERDALE BEACH...HOLLYWOOD BEACH
239 PM EDT THU SEP 15 2011

...LARGE FIRE IN PALM BEACH COUNTY CONTINUES TO PRODUCE ASH...

THE U.S. FISH AND WILDLIFE SERVICE IS PERFORMING A PRESCRIBED BURN
IN THE LOXAHATCHEE NATIONAL WILDLIFE REFUGE AND LOW LEVEL NORTHERLY
WINDS ACROSS THE REGION ARE BRINGING SMOKE AND ASH INTO PORTIONS OF
PALM BEACH AND BROWARD COUNTIES. ADDITIONAL REPORTS HAVE BEEN
RECEIVED AND ASH IS NOW AS FAR SOUTH AS LAUDERHILL. SO RESIDENTS IN
SOUTHEAST PALM BEACH COUNTY AND NORTHEAST BROWARD COUNTY COULD
EXPERIENCE PERIODS OF ASH OVER THE NEXT COUPLE OF HOURS
edit on 15-9-2011 by TechniXcality because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-9-2011 by TechniXcality because: grammer

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

There you go. The first one was taken by my less than 2 minutes ago.. the second was taken by a friend on facebook that lives about 10-15 miles away. about an hour ago

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Yeah its a shame that the guy whom took the video was zoomed in too much towards the end. Like you said, its not the object changing shape...we all have seen this plenty of times by now. All in all though the video is pretty awesome.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by TechniXcality

Oh! thank you Jared! I really appreciate it. I thought I was being invaded by a giant brown cloud of UFO's

The fire really worries me though. But thanks again!

PS. SORRY I DIDN'T MEAN TO GET YOU GUYS OFF TOPIC!!! go on : D

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   

The sun? thats been there for a long time my friend, what we are talking about here is the suspected meteorite.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Looks pretty cool.
I wish I could go to SoCal.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
The colour of the meteor suggests the presence of metal ores, possibly copper for one. Lots of meteors fall through the atmosphere every year, some appear quite large but this is something of an illusion. They may appear low down, but are still high up in the atmosphere when they burn out. Larger meteors can 'air burst' and shower an area with fragments. If one actually struck the Earth within range of your naked eye, you'd certainly know about it. Some sizeable 'near earth objects' have even struck the Earth in recent years, including one in the Mexican desert that had considerable explosive force. Luckily it wasn't near habitation, so only a few rattlesnakes got roasted.

I love meteor-watching, it gives me a sense of movement and activity out in the universe. Sadly, in the UK the skies are often cloudy when the seasonal showers like the Perseids arrive.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

Although his comment was off topic, he clearly had a question about something strange that was in his sky. and this was answered to be an ash cloud from a nearby controlled burn. The sarcasm is childish at best and a bit condesending, perhaps read more before spouting off at people.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by dankojudd

Yeah, for those of us who are serious about the UFO topic this is becoming tedious. I think that is what has driven so many of the old posters away.

Imagine the idea of helicopters following a Meteor. Before they could get airborne it would be long gone.

When I was a kid I got to see a huge fireball pass over my head in Utah. Hit north of the Great Salt Lake in the desert. It was so big when it passed over me it lit up the sky like daytime. They estimated it as car sized when it hit about 200 miles north of where I saw it. It was maybe the size of a house at first. I'll never forget it. I was maybe ten at the time. I've always wondered if they found it. It was big news the next day and scared lots of people. Looked like a giant fireball in the sky. Scared me too.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

The person who shot that video is clearly yanking our collective chains. Listen to the exaggerated hick 'hot damn' accent. Can we confirm when it was shot? Because the bright light which then leaves behind two smaller lights makes me think of the space shuttle blasting off and then shedding its solid rocket boosters.

posted on Sep, 15 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Constantine90
Hello I've been following ATS for a couple of years now just reading never posted anything. Just wanted to thank everyone that contributes to this site and makes it what it is today a great forum.

I had to sign up today just so I can post about this... I live in South Florida and there is a HUGE brownish,grey cloud covering most of the sky and some reports on my facebook feed say that it's there's flakes coming down and when you touch them it's like ashes. I'm pretty confused about this but I have a feeling something is happening I've never seen this before. Maybe someone that knows about this can tell me its nothing to worry about and I can go on with my day.. lol.

EDIT - SOME of the sky is sunny.. and blue the other half theres that huge cloud

Are there any fires nearby?

Nvm I posted after others said there was! Good to know ! Ash from the sky is scary
edit on 15-9-2011 by Violetshy because: adding stuff

new topics

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join