It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A Parallel Earth On The Other Side Of The Sun?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by blocula

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
reply to post by blocula

Imagine random asteroid - say , 2012doomsday v12341345*10exp123. It should follow orbit X ,accordingly to our calculations.
But instead it goes in orbit Y - since there is a whole Earth-size planet that is not included in calculations. Given thousands of asteroids that we notice who are zapping in all directions in Solar systems - this anomaly gravity source would have been spotted long time ago.
i don't think it would if they were precisely,exactly opposite eachother on the same eliptical plane any gravitational annomalies would cancel eachother out and become unnoticeable and keep this in mind..."any object approaching earth from around the area of the sun would be "impossible to detect" from any ground based observations" that is true and it would mean the same thing for this parallel earth/planet...

There are a whole host of reasons why this "counter-Earth" wouldn't stay hidden for long.
Let's start with the geometric one. The Earth's orbit (or, in the case of counter-Earth, the Earths' orbits) isn't a circle, but an ellipse. Between the fact that motion along an elliptical orbit isn't at a constant speed, and the fact that the elliptical orbit is distorted by the gravity of other bodies in the Solar system (Jupiter, I'm looking at you!), your hypothetical counter-Earth is going to wander away from its exact opposition to Earth...and if it wanders very far, it will be visible to our telescopes.

There's also the gravity problem. Other folks have mentioned that an Earth-sized mass on the opposite side of the sun would cause deviations in the flight paths of everything from comets to deep space probes. The gravity from counter-Earth won't 'cancel out' anything at all. Gravity doesn't work that way.

There's the electromagnetic problem. Earth pumps out a huge amount of electromagnetic energy in very unnatural patterns. While a lot of the E-M signature from a counter-Earth would be masked by the sun's own rather massive output, not all of it would be...and if we started picking up signals, particularly structured signals, it wouldn't take long for us to get really serious about finding their source.

I'll toss out one more. Assuming that counter-Earth is, per your theory, just like us other than being 'over there', then where are their space probes? Even if by some miracle the planet stayed 'parked' behind the sun in violation of basic orbital dynamics, and their radio signals stayed masked, and something blocked the gravity of counter-Earth, we on this earth should be picking up the data transmissions from their Pioneer/Voyager/Insert name of program here probes...particularly the ones they send to the outer planets. For that matter, our probes should have a few images of their probes orbiting (as an example, Saturn).

The idea of a hidden Earth is a cool idea, and it got a lot of use in the 1950's and 1960's in science fiction (and then there are the Gor books.
). Unfortunately, the idea just doesn't work in the real world.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blastoff
reply to post by blocula

The hypothesis of another earth-like world exactly opposite the sun? I find that fascinating. Star for that.

Because we humans perceive things differently from one another, I personally find it very difficult to label things as being opposite from each other. For example:
Hot and cold = not opposites, just different temperatures
Slow and fast = not opposites, just different speeds
And so forth and so on...

Matter and anti-matter? Could be opposites.

Sorry for throwing this monkey wrench into the machinery.

Great post, though.
hi and thanx for your comment...if i hit a soft pillow with my hand and then i hit a steel table with my hand, they sure feel different "opposite" to me and life and death are probably very very opposite from eachother...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

Yes! The adventures of Tarl Cabot, I was thinking along your lines when I saw this thread. Beware the Tarn.
Glad I'm not alone.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blastoff
reply to post by blocula

The hypothesis of another earth-like world exactly opposite the sun? I find that fascinating. Star for that.

Because we humans perceive things differently from one another, I personally find it very difficult to label things as being opposite from each other. For example:
Hot and cold = not opposites, just different temperatures
Slow and fast = not opposites, just different speeds
And so forth and so on...

Matter and anti-matter? Could be opposites.

Sorry for throwing this monkey wrench into the machinery.

Great post, though.
hi and thanx for your comment...if i hit a soft pillow with my hand and then i hit a steel table with my hand, they sure feel different "opposite" to me and life and death are probably very very opposite from eachother...

Thanks for you views, too. Mental exercises are enjoyable from time to time.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   
If my waking life here is the dream of a parallel version of me then damn, he must be having some pretty boring, crappy and monotonous dreams.

I'm not dismissing the theory though because I believe in the Multiverse thing but probably not that it's so close and perhaps easy to be able to spot as being on the opposite side of our orbit.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by curious7
If my waking life here is the dream of a parallel version of me then damn, he must be having some pretty boring, crappy and monotonous dreams.

I'm not dismissing the theory though because I believe in the Multiverse thing but probably not that it's so close and perhaps easy to be able to spot as being on the opposite side of our orbit.
heres a quote from the following link below..."it is quite true that an object close to the sun in the sky "cannot" be seen" and so this parallel earth would be exactly opposite us and at the same opposite distance from the sun and it would constantly be lost and unseen within the suns intense, blinding glare, never mind the fact that we could'nt see it "behind" the sun anyways and "if" any space probes were ever or will ever be sent there, the general public "will not know about it" and as to where are the probes from this parallal earth? maybe they dont have any and perhaps they are some of the vast variety of ufo's that are seen in our skies every day...impact.arc.nasa.gov...
edit on 10-9-2011 by blocula because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I am --convinced-- that this parallel earth has my parallel Me on it, who weighs 90lbs, is rich, and constantly busy, because everyone demands my presence all the time.

It's not fair!!!

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Great story, this could make a perfect movie.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by prevenge

they are 90 degrees apart.. us being 45 degrees between both

To be exact they are 161.546 degrees apart.

STEREO A is 95.333 degrees from earth and B is 103.118 degrees.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

That was the basis of a movie from many years ago. Sorry cannot remember movie's name.

The jist is an astonaut leaves earth to circle the sun taking 1 year. Half way around he reaches another parallel earth. They question him as to why the trip only took 6 months. Turns out another astronaut (himself from the parallel earth) took of on the same mission at exactly the same time.

If anyone remebers the name of the movie please do tell.

reply to post by Blastoff

What about men & women & making love plus pregnancy.

Know I'm scared?
edit on 10-9-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
OP: Your premise is tripping up on the requirement that "Other side of the Sun" be the other currently 3D physical positioning around the sun.

The "other side of the sun" in the way you are pursuing would be found by turning the Sun and our entire universe inside out (which isn't as crazy as it sounds). Akin to the proposals that the singularity within a black hole leads to a white hole in another universe.

Namaste.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by acrux
reply to post by blocula

That was the basis of a movie from many years ago. Sorry cannot remember movie's name.

The jist is an astonaut leaves earth to circle the sun taking 1 year. Half way around he reaches another parallel earth. They question him as to why the trip only took 6 months. Turns out another astronaut (himself from the parallel earth) took of on the same mission at exactly the same time.

If anyone remebers the name of the movie please do tell.

reply to post by Blastoff

What about men & women & making love plus pregnancy.

Know I'm scared?
edit on 10-9-2011 by acrux because: (no reason given)
here it is "journey to the far side of the sun" 1969...although i'm a fan of these kinds of 50s and 60s movies,i've never seen this one,but i'll go out of my way to see it now > www.imdb.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZeroKnowledge
Even if it is so perfectly situated that nobody can see it from Earth - it will still have gravity and thus influence orbits of objects in Solar system. So it is not possible.

I don't support this theory, but it is a great thought experiment.

Having said that, realize that our understanding of physics is based on observations. Observations that would, obviously, include the effects of this unseen planet.

It is well known and obvious that we do not "get it" when it comes to gravity. There is something wrong with our models that prevents the "As above, so below" maxim from finding harmony between quantum theory and general relativity.

Perhaps, to prolong this thought experiment, the reason for this contradiction is because the effects of gravity we are measuring are skewed by this unseen planet, thus causing us to create undue contortions in the theories we use?

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by blocula

i face-palmed so hard i gave myself a headache

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   
truth is stranger than fiction and just imagine actually visiting this parallel world,walking around and seeing all the different people and architecture and technology.if they are there i wonder if they ever think about us? or are they already coming here in flying saucers?...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

truth is stranger than fiction and just imagine actually visiting this parallel world,walking around and seeing all the different people and architecture and technology.if they are there i wonder if they ever think about us? or are they already coming here in flying saucers?...

I'd love to see what's what in a parallel Earth.

Unless I died there or things are crappier than they are here, in that case no thanks.

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Another consideration is that the orbital location directly opposite Earth is the L3 point. This orbital location is unstable, no object could remain in orbit there.

Now, if it was a spaceship....

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
just as i thought,the earth is so tiny compared to the size of the sun,that any effect the earths gravity might have on it is just about imperceptably small,as would this parallel earths effect be the same. so this would not be a valid way of discovering it.go outside and look at the sun,its so bright you cant!...answers.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 12:54 PM
link   
I tend to think that if a parallel Earth exists it would be on the other side of our black hole that centers our universe and there would be an exact duplicate on the other side of it. Sort of like if you think of this unverse as being a hologram kind of displayed from the event horizon of our black hole, on the opposite side of the same black hole on that event horizon the display of the hologram is identical, we can't see it because it is beyond the event horizon of our black hole, but if we could send a probe through it, through the center without it being stretched beyond all recognition, we might actually find another earth with our "doubles" on it. This of course is all conjecture, given that it could never be done and given that the "holographic universe" is just a theory, but I think it would explain the multiverse theory very well. Every galaxy is centered by a black hole far as I know. So there may be duplicates of every single one this way. I think I read somewhere that holograms always produce a mirror image of themselves in order to be seen in 3 dimensions, but I may be wrong. Anyway that really only accounts for one copy of each universe, unless the black holes themselves are also mirrored somewhere far off in space like near the edge of the big bang or something, I don't know but it's fun to think about. Yes, in fact mirrors are needed to make a hologram, so this is true. YAY ME!!! LOL. So if you do buy the holographic universe theory, and knowing holograms when split show as the entire picture, then you can assume we are split, too showing many universes like ours somewhere else!!!!
edit on 10-9-2011 by ldyserenity because: spelling

posted on Sep, 10 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join