It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Step Towards Total Control, Missouri College Announces Drug Testing For ENTIRE STUDENT BODY

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alexander the Great
looks like 90% of the student body is being kicked out!
haha!

Sure as sht the faculty will never let it be equal treatment for them .

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
Maybe I missed this part, but what happens if someone fails the test?

Do they get a refund of their tuition? Or does it get "forfeited?"

I can see a touch of wisdom in this policy, a very small touch, but when money is involved, guaranteed someone is getting a kick-back. If I were a student there, I'd investigate any connections between school officials and the testing company.

I'm definitely smelling a kick-back.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:43 PM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Well its not legal to take drugs either. So you have a conflict right there. People/students are not honest enough to skip the drug tests. That is why everyone must be tested. People who have nothing to fear wont be affected by this test, only the drug users. And why should parents support their kids drug abuse by rejecting this test?

So exactly what kind of drugs are they testing for?

If they want to test everyone at school to ensure a safe environment..will they be testing all the teachers, secretaries and administration as well? If they have nothing to hide.. they should be fine with it as well.

Is a secretary who's blitzed out on oxicotin, any better than a student who smokes a little pot?

I say if you're going to drug test students..you need to drug test everyone...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by gypsychology909

I think in Canada you need to occupy a high spot on the nations ten most wanted in order for mandatory testing of this sort and that's after they catch you.

Many trades drug test in Canada now. ..its been happening for quite a few years actually.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:50 PM
link   
Surely, if we're concerned that drug use is causing impairment, then a bunch of high school kids and sports players fall much farther down the priority list than, say, every elected official and the CEOs of all major corporations...

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by BernardShakey

those who should test positive, it'll only confirm what we already know... they wouldn't graduate from uni anyways. No one has EVER gotten more than 30 credits at college who touched an illegal drug or misused a prescription drug. Thus, anyone who ever had a positive effect on the world (You need a degree to do that.) has ever, ever tried an illicit substance.

You are KIDDING.. I hope? You have to be..cause that last line is so wrong it's hilarious.

Because you couldn't be more wrong. I know of engineers, as well as a doctor, a lawyer, and a nuclear physicist who all smoked pot ,and maybe even did other drugs I wasn't aware of on a recreational basis .. all through their university years, and some into their professional careers.

edit on 8-9-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

Drug testing in college? Soooooooooo many people are going to fail those

They shouldn't agree to take them in the first place, they should mount a full-scale protest where basically everybody refuses to take them (except for the people who are like "Um, I don't have anything to hide.", they can throw eggs at them or something).

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by hotbakedtater

are necessary to ensure student safety at a campus where the coursework includes aircraft maintenance, heavy engine repair, nuclear technology and other dangerous tasks. They surveyed hundreds of local employers, who overwhelmingly supported a requirement those same students will soon encounter in the job market

I was set to jump on board and condemn this action, and talk about how not that many employers actually drug test, and how many of the degrees will be adversely impacted. But, after reading the quoted portion, it makes more sense to drug test. If this is a small school that specializes in this type of heavy industrial careers, then drug testing makes perfect sense.

This could never work on a larger scale, you would wipe out the entire Art, Music, and Business Majors!!

And for the record, I don't see how this can be considered illegal as some are claiming? It is already written into the Student Honor Codes that you will not break any laws, and expulsion is already listed as a penalty, so this follows the code that students agree to when enrolling. Plus, these days, even high schools are drug testing periodically.

my previous vocation was a welder on a powerplant, and for better or worse i'd say around 70% used some form of drug, and 95% drank heavily. i never thought a human could drink so much every night and survive, let alone get three hours of sleep and wake up at 5 am for work. there was a drug test to get hired, and random drug tests every week. very few people ever got caught. accidents? not many. i didn't hear of any that were substance related, mostly stupidity.

i think drug tests should be conducted only on reasonable suspicion. if there's an accident, test everyone involved off the bat.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
...no one is being forced to attend this college... if you dont like their rules, dont go there...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by 547000

Wait until you are not allowed an education because you are deemed to be too fat!

Tired of Control Freaks

Catch the fatties too.

Bu the way, nice slippery slope, but it's a logical fallacy. If you can't tell the difference between drunk or high and being fat...
edit on 9-9-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-9-2011 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
How is this legal?
I can see the college bulls*ting its way through legal loopholes for future students- i.e. applicants/potential students being aware that in order to attend this school, they must submit to drug testing.
But for current students who did not 'sign up for this', surely this a GROSS violation of privacy and rights.
Universities/Colleges/Schools in general, have NO RIGHT to intervene in such issues- and why would they want to?!?! It's bewildering to me!
I hope the students file a class-action lawsuit against these fascist admins- they should be ashamed of themselves!!!

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...no one is being forced to attend this college... if you dont like their rules, dont go there...

Many students may not be able to afford out of town expenses for going to college... it isn't that easy of a choice for everyone.

If every staff member was also drug tested, it would make more sense. If they want to make rules like that..they need to apply them to themselves as well..but then again..they are in the positions to cheat the results of the tests.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011

Many students may not be able to afford out of town expenses for going to college... it isn't that easy of a choice for everyone.

If every staff member was also drug tested, it would make more sense. If they want to make rules like that..they need to apply them to themselves as well..but then again..they are in the positions to cheat the results of the tests.

You could also argue that people cannot afford not to have a job too but drug tests still apply whether you like it or not. Employers don't have to take it either.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:35 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

You could also argue that people cannot afford not to have a job too but drug tests still apply whether you like it or not. Employers don't have to take it either.

The difference is you are NOT paying your employer to work for him.

Like a previous poster said... if they are really concerned about safety ,and people learning their information correctly....why let them drink, and come to school hungover ?

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   

...is the college a charity not-for-profit institution?... no... they are paid to educate, not to placate those who are too immature to stop using drugs...

...unless you're a very generous benefactor, their board of directors doesnt give a damn about what you think they should require of their faculty... thats the way it goes in the real world...

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by BernardShakey
I'm really thankful for this. The kids who would band together with some friends once or twice a week and venture to the outskirts of campus, oh we didn't like them at all. They all looked like they were having a blast, they all seemed as if they were privy to something we didn't know, and it was almost as if they weren't harming anybody else, or even themselves. Smug b**tards. They always appear well rested the next day, it drives me nuts. I'd jump at the chance to spend $50 for nothing, and those who should test positive, it'll only confirm what we already know... they wouldn't graduate from uni anyways. No one has EVER gotten more than 30 credits at college who touched an illegal drug or misused a prescription drug. Thus, anyone who ever had a positive effect on the world (You need a degree to do that.) has ever, ever tried an illicit substance. Ritalin doesn't count, it's a study aid. I didn't like those dreadful potheads looking so joyful and at ease while I'm shredding my brains out, studying... cramming last minute for this exam. I saw them at "late-nite meal hall" just destroying their pogos and their ice cream. The horror. I was way too effing drunk the few nights before, to study ...but that's only 'cause of the cheap drink week (that's every week ;D) at the campus pub... since we're away from our parents, I'm glad someone is policing the recreation of all drug use. BTW if you believe alcohol is a drug, then go join Al Qaeda. Couple of my friends died from asphyxiation in their sleep and "alcohol poisoning" but that's nothing compared to how many people died from marijuana use, and that doesn't even includes the death count from hemp usage. Seriously though, it's becoming a problem. Flocks of kids are applying for universities these days simply and only because they wanna live in "Smack Rez" where the floor crawls are quite literal and opiate attributed.

Next time dont forget the sarcasm sign, its not that obvious, for everyone at least.

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Good.

Catch the junkies early.

Riiiiiiiight
... because college grads are well known to become junkies....

Hot tip, junkies don't make it to college. Hell, most don't make it past high school, since its in high school where they're usually introduced to hard drugs. Guess what drugs the kids today are all on? Prescription drugs, and where I am from, heroine, which is in the same category as most prescription drugs (aka opiates)

I hope this college fails and is forced to close down due to lack of attendance.

edit on 9-9-2011 by Swills because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Yea, damn those "immature" people!

Let's let these "mature" adults excavate them from the business world that they have not reached yet.

That way they can live off of welfare and have sex with strangers in exchange for drugs!

Or maybe trade their children as prostitutes and have sick perverts pour bleach down their throats after anally raping them so that their "parents" can get some meth!

"LETZ TAKEZ AWAY DER JOBZ!"

I'm sorry, but these KIDS are not the ones that have the obligation to grow the hell up, here.

When will the actual ADULTS start using their god damned brains.
edit on 9-9-2011 by Partisanity because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Exactly. This policy in effect shuts down a choice for those who refuse to allow this type of manipulation, or for those who use illicit drugs or entheogens.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join