It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Step Towards Total Control, Missouri College Announces Drug Testing For ENTIRE STUDENT BODY

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
gawker.com...

The 1,200 lucky students at Missouri's Linn State will get to tell their grandkids that they attended the first US college to drug test its entire student body. The school's dean of student affairs tells the AP that "We want them to be prepared" for the "drug-free workplace" they'll encounter in the real world. Great logic! Let's ruin college because your post-college life will consist of mechanical drudgery.

School leaders say the tests, which they prefer to call drug screenings, are necessary to ensure student safety at a campus where the coursework includes aircraft maintenance, heavy engine repair, nuclear technology and other dangerous tasks. They surveyed hundreds of local employers, who overwhelmingly supported a requirement those same students will soon encounter in the job market, said Richard Pemberton, associate dean of student affairs.

Read more: www.stltoday.com...

I disagree with blanket drug testing of students. I do not think this is for anyone's safety, it is a draconian step towards collecting a dna database and a violation of a consumer's rights. The students are paying for education, not to have their body fluids collected.

Now when they enter the job market, they are asking to be paid, so if they accept the money/paycheck they accept the conditions the money entails including drug testing.

People need to protest this measure by not attending this college. The reasoning the college bigwigs use to test ALL the students is the SAFETY of a FEW.

All first-year students _ including those pursuing general education degrees while studying accounting, communications, math, and social sciences _ must comply with the requirement, which began Wednesday, two weeks into the fall semester. So must returning students who took a semester or two off and are seeking a degree or academic certificate at the school's campuses in Linn, Jefferson City and Mexico, Mo. Physical therapy students enrolled in cooperative programs between Linn State and two community colleges in northern and southeastern Missouri also must participate.

This is undoubtably about generating revenue for the college as well, drug testing is a lucrative business as evidenced by the recent Florida Welfare Drug Testing threads we have had here on ATS, and about the industry in the general media of late.

The tests cost $50, a fee paid by students.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Good.

Catch the junkies early.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
reply to post by hotbakedtater

This is actually not legal and parents can tell them to take a hike

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I'm more conservative than Limbaugh.

But I will say that I'm glad I ddn't get tested in college.

Bad idea, in my humble.

+5 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:11 AM
link   
reply to post by 547000

yep. great attitude, man. catch the "junkies", and let the others go back to their apartments and drink til they drop.

so hypocritical.

+1 more 
posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by 547000
Good.

Catch the junkies early.

You do not understand.

It is NOT about catching junkies.

It is about Catching Dollars.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
I hope for adverse effects of this. Namely the closure of this school.

Ignorance, absolute and utter ignorance.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
looks like 90% of the student body is being kicked out!
haha!

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by hotbakedtater

Originally posted by 547000
Good.

Catch the junkies early.

You do not understand.

It is NOT about catching junkies.

It is about Catching Dollars.

But in effect it's about catching junkies.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Most great inventions/ideas derive from drug use of some sort.

This school won't be doing groundbreaking research in the near future is my guess... their loss.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
What a waste of money and sources. Shakes my head at the school.

It reminds me of something I saw on ESPN about this football player who broke the team rules by having premartial sex. Why do they care X_X

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by thedeadlyrhythm
reply to post by 547000

yep. great attitude, man. catch the "junkies", and let the others go back to their apartments and drink til they drop.

so hypocritical.

Catch the drunks too.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheWorldSpins
What a waste of money and sources. Shakes my head at the school.

It reminds me of something I saw on ESPN about this football player who broke the team rules by having premartial sex. Why do they care X_X
A waste of the student's money, a cash boon for the college itself.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Meh....

People will just go along with it like they do everything else.

The typical excuse is replayed again, we do not have a choice, baloney. Just too much of a wuss to fight back.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by bluemirage5
reply to post by hotbakedtater

This is actually not legal and parents can tell them to take a hike

Well its not legal to take drugs either. So you have a conflict right there. People/students are not honest enough to skip the drug tests. That is why everyone must be tested. People who have nothing to fear wont be affected by this test, only the drug users.

And why should parents support their kids drug abuse by rejecting this test?

edit on 27.06.08 by spy66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:47 AM
link   
They should start with the Drug Testing at the TV, in Hollywood and in Washington-
i am sure that this will be more efficient and helpful!

On the other Side- it may help also to avoid this Surveillance

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
How is this a reasonable search? Guilty until proven innocent? Don't students have the right to due process? It's a slippery slope, it's unethical, and it' stupid. But hey, what do you expect, college is full of idiots, especially in the faculty...
edit on 8-9-2011 by WoundedByHonesty because: grammar

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I wonder if the staff at this college are being forced to submit to drug testing, as an example to the student body. Most jobs will only drug test once, upon hire, and then only if you are involved in an accident. So In Effect, drug testing is ineffective. Also, drug tests are quite easy to pass, with the purchase of fifty dollar urine from the internet. See? More money being made off this industry.

This drug testing trend has zero to do with catching druggies, and all to do with catching dollars.

Anyway you slice it, it boils down to bucks.

posted on Sep, 8 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by WoundedByHonesty

Nobody is forcing them to attend this college it is their choice and the testing is a condition of them making that choice. If this was a Public school where the students are compelled by law to attend, then I would have an issue with it.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join