It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado School Comes Under Fire for Hanging Saudi Flag Higher Than American Flag

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Signals
Political Correctness is killing America!

Political correctness is killing the Western world. I don't care if it's petty or not, but on American soil, the AMERICAN flag flies. In China, the CHINESE flag flies. In Mexico, the MEXICO flag flies. You don't see them raising the American flag over theirs, now do you? That's not how it goes, and people saying it's petty obviously don't know how the world works or how things should be.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbob
Perhaps you should fix your broken country before worrying about a piece of cloth.

NY, one of the richest money centers of the world, also one of the places with the most homeless and poor.

Brushing them under a rug to hide them does not fix it.

Perhaps if you stopped worrying about telling everybody how to live their lives in their own countries, and actually did worry about your "piece of cloth" then people in the world would take you seriously.

Until then, keep living in your dillusional bubble that you are the greatest and all that jazz.

You must remember that I am an individual citizen of the United States and, as such, can only do what an individual can do. BUT, that is IMPORTANT to do.

I feed the homeless.
I try my hardest not to brush them under the rug.
I try my hardest not to tell others how to live their lives in their own countries.
I do not, in any way, think that I am the greatest and all that jazz.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

What could possibly compel you to brush a homeless under your rug?

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Thoughts?

It's a piece of material.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I can't believe they're Americans out there who really think the flag is just a flag.

I'm not even terribly patriotic. But there is one thing i understand. The flag is a symbol for everything that has been gained and lost to get us where we are. And yeah maybe america is not perfect. But hell who is? We should be thankful for what we have. And if you don't like it, you have the power to attempt to change it. At least that is even an option, in many countries it is not.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamatt
Oooh, my nob is bigger than your nob. My car is better than your car. My flag is better than your flag.

Stupid people. But then Americans do worship their flag, swear alegnce to it or something. A flag. Dude! Oh, sorry, paid a little bit too much respect to our wordly neighbours - someone must be hung for this! Try hanging them from your flag pole!

Tollerence is dead, burried, and rotting. The stench should fill the nostrils of all Americans.

Respect is on it's death bed. Hate is outside digging a hole for it.

Seriously? Do not confuse me with my government. Come live with me for a while. BUT, if you do come live with me, then I will expect respect for me and my family. I will also give you that same respect if you prove worthy of it.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by Bobbob

I've let nothing of the sort happen, but I agree with your sentiment about how the Constitution is being shredded.

My flag isn't petty my friend.

So go practice your belief system in your own home, not in public.

No, my friend. See, there is one thing people like you don't understand. In the U.S., you follow the rules, otherwise you get f***** with.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Oooh, my nob is bigger than your nob. My car is better than your car. My flag is better than your flag.

Stupid people. But then Americans do worship their flag, swear alegnce to it or something. A flag. Dude! Oh, sorry, paid a little bit too much respect to our wordly neighbours - someone must be hung for this! Try hanging them from your flag pole!

Tollerence is dead, burried, and rotting. The stench should fill the nostrils of all Americans.

Seriously? Do not confuse me with my government. Come live with me for a while. BUT, if you do come live with me, then I will expect respect for me and my family. I will also give you that same respect if you prove worthy of it.

Emphasis mine.

It isn't your government which is complaining about this flag busines - it is your people. I did not mention your government.

I would love to come and stay. Unfortunately, your attitude stinks. I give all people I meet respect untill they prove to me that they do not deserve it. You expect people to prove themselves to you first. Who are YOU?!

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:02 AM
link   
we can welcome immigrants and be tolerant of their culture, but we shouldnt be forced to fly their friggin flags in our schools should we?

gotta draw the line somewhere, this political correctness is getting out of hand.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by snarfbot
we can welcome immigrants and be tolerant of their culture, but we shouldnt be forced to fly their friggin flags in our schools should we?

gotta draw the line somewhere, this political correctness is getting out of hand.

But that isn't what is happening. They fly flags to represent all the diferent nationalities represented at that school. I think this is a great thing to do. And if the US flag acccidentally got hung a little lower by mistake, hay hows about this for an idea...... GET OVER IT!

Don't turn it into a story about being forced into flying someone elses flag. I would also be against such rediculous laws. But that is not this story.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Signals

US Flag Code (wiki here) is part of US law, but isn't really forced and any penalties for violating it have been ruled to be in conflict with the first amendment.

While I definitely appreciate your passion on the matter, I'm sadly unable to rouse my own as the current state of the country is in itself a more egregious violation of what the flag stands for, in my eyes, and I would rather see all flags flying upside-down until things are put back on track than be more concerned about it otherwise.

Granted, elevating the Saudi flag above the stars-and-stripes still seems ridiculous - if intentional - since I don't think they have much room to talk otherwise, but at this point I can still only appreciate the flag for the founding ideals it used to represent, and not what the US on the whole does around the world in the current age.

edit on 9/5/2011 by Praetorius because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
This sort of thing been going on in England for nearly 10 years ,to the point were your looked down upon to fly your flag ,and labeled a racist for displaying the english flag now ,my father before he died was forced to remove his england flag from his front garden by the local council ,this is one of many reason i lost heart and faith in my country.

I suppose in the grand scheme of things ,you can't have a one world government why you have patriots of a certain nation clinging on to their identity ,all part of a mass cultural integration ,it will only get worse and worse for america just like it has in england ,they do it one little step at a time.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Emphasis mine.

It isn't your government which is complaining about this flag busines - it is your people. I did not mention your government.

I would love to come and stay. Unfortunately, your attitude stinks. I give all people I meet respect untill they prove to me that they do not deserve it. You expect people to prove themselves to you first. Who are YOU?!

The fact that you mean this about individuals in the U.S. is even worse. You say respect is on it's deathbed and you illustrate this FACT through your own words: "Stupid people."

How can you complain about tolerance if you show none? My attitude was a result of your insults. I DO respect people until they prove otherwise - unfortunately your own words proved to me that you were not, at this point in time, worthy of it. So, you see, we are the same in this respect... Respect until proven not worthy.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
No big deal but I thought each country
displayed the flag for their country.
American is American - thus we fly
the American Flag. Arabia is another
country they fly their flag. I'm from the
old school for sure. Don't take much credence
in the piece of cloth any longer anyway,
its not what it use to be.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Bobbob

I've let nothing of the sort happen, but I agree with your sentiment about how the Constitution is being shredded.

my friend all flags are petty, your nationalism allows the powers that be fuel wars and control you....

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

reply to post by Bobbob

So go practice your belief system in your own home, not in public.

No, my friend. See, there is one thing people like you don't understand. In the U.S., you follow the rules, otherwise you get f***** with.

I guess people in Iraq, Vietnam and Afghanistan didn't understand the US either.

That is why the US flag is/was flying there.

edit on 5-9-2011 by Bobbob because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

People like you make me literally puke. I can't even believe what I'm reading. Have you seriously been that screwed up your arse by TPTB? Does it feel good?

The poster is right, it is just a peace of cloth... The powers that be use that peace of cloth to control you. Are you so conditioned to thinking you are somehow different from other people or that the boundary of a nation is a real thing...
This is your home all of this beautiful planet. Not just the part your are told you belong too...
How can you be so proud of a peace of cloth that represents the death of millions, anyway would it not be more apt to replace the america flag with a big macdonalds logo or something of the sort. USA has been bought out...
edit on 5-9-2011 by purplemer because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius
While I definitely appreciate your passion on the matter, I'm sadly unable to rouse my own as the current state of the country is in itself a more egregious violation of what the flag stands for, in my eyes, and I would rather see all flags flying upside-down until things are put back on track than be more concerned about it otherwise.

Granted, elevating the Saudi flag above the stars-and-stripes still seems ridiculous - if intentional - since I don't think they have much room to talk otherwise, but at this point I can still only appreciate the flag for the founding ideals it used to represent, and not what the US on the whole does around the world in the current age.

I agree, however, the flag itself is a powerful symbol of what our country is supposed to stand for. I DO fly my flag upside down for this reason - but never will I fly my flag in subservience to another country's flag. I will burn it before that happens.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join