It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colorado School Comes Under Fire for Hanging Saudi Flag Higher Than American Flag

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
You'd think they'd have better things to do at a school than hoist flags up and down a pole...

Maybe teach them something while their young in hopes that they do not grow up to be average.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Originally posted by Praetorius
While I definitely appreciate your passion on the matter, I'm sadly unable to rouse my own as the current state of the country is in itself a more egregious violation of what the flag stands for, in my eyes, and I would rather see all flags flying upside-down until things are put back on track than be more concerned about it otherwise.

Granted, elevating the Saudi flag above the stars-and-stripes still seems ridiculous - if intentional - since I don't think they have much room to talk otherwise, but at this point I can still only appreciate the flag for the founding ideals it used to represent, and not what the US on the whole does around the world in the current age.

I agree, however, the flag itself is a powerful symbol of what our country is supposed to stand for. I DO fly my flag upside down for this reason - but never will I fly my flag in subservience to another country's flag. I will burn it before that happens.

A flag is like a cats pissing contest to mark their own terratory.

Paramilitaries do it all the time in the UK.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
When did a public institution start displaying a flag of another country. What was not told they were also flying the Mexican flag, I bech ya. We are Americans and that is were our patriotism most be honored. The next thing we will be told is a foreign nation provided the funding to build this school.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by flycatch
When did a public institution start displaying a flag of another country. What was not told they were also flying the Mexican flag, I bech ya. We are Americans and that is were our patriotism most be honored. The next thing we will be told is a foreign nation provided the funding to build this school.

You can fly other countries flags as long as you fly it with the host countries flag in many countries.

More often than not a flag / symbol of something is abused as an ego bashing pissing contest for shallow people.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Iamonlyhuman

I agree, however, the flag itself is a powerful symbol of what our country is supposed to stand for. I DO fly my flag upside down for this reason - but never will I fly my flag in subservience to another country's flag. I will burn it before that happens.

Shame that... Humility is something that is strongly lacking from the world today...and the world would be a better place with a good dose of it...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbob

A flag is like a cats pissing contest to mark their own terratory.

Paramilitaries do it all the time in the UK.

I don't understand what you're getting at.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Its all about psychology.

Americans are indoctrinated an an early age to pledge allegiance to their flag and country. Its a mind game designed to control you. If you dont believe me look at the nazi flag, it was always promient at every nazi rally and home. Its a symbol to bring people together for a common goal.

To me a flag is a flag, I see past its meaning, I see that its a cleaver way of getting everyone to one side and disowning the "others" who do not respect it.

While your crying about a piece of cloth being lower than another piece of cloth, people are being killed under its banner for oil, land and knowledge.

The only flag I semi respect is the rainbow flag. Because it stands for tolerence (im not gay).
edit on 5-9-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
So.. let me get this right..

You are crying a river of tears because... somebody's thing is 1 INCH higher than yours.

Ok...

How about we make your thing HIGHER, but make theirs BIGGER (but lower)

edit on 5-9-2011 by Bobbob because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Bobbob

Lol well put you....

kx

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by michaelmcclen

Americans are indoctrinated an an early age to pledge allegiance to their flag and country. Its a mind game designed to control you. If you dont believe me look at the nazi flag, it was always promient at every nazi rally and home. Its a symbol to bring people together for a common goal.

To me a flag is a flag, I see past its meaning, I see that its a cleaver way of getting everyone to one side and disowning the "others" who do not respect it.

While your crying about a piece of cloth being lower than another piece of cloth, people are being killed under its banner for oil, land and knowledge.

The only flag I semi respect is the rainbow flag. Because it stands for tolerence (im not gay).

Nice how you went directly to comparing this with Nazi's.
All countries do this.

What's wrong with having common goals and bring people together for them? Is that not what happens in almost every relationship? Granted, the state of our country is such that we have gotten far, far away from those goals, but that is why I see the American flag as a strong symbol of what we should stand for. This symbol becomes more and more important to me as our government takes us further and further away from what it stands for.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bobbob
So.. let me get this right..

You are crying a river of tears because... somebody's thing is 1 INCH higher than yours.

Ok...

How about we make your thing HIGHER, but make theirs BIGGER (but lower)

edit on 5-9-2011 by Bobbob because: (no reason given)

Nope that won't do either. Their thing has to be lower AND the same size or smaller.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by purplemer

Originally posted by Signals
reply to post by Bobbob

Spoken like a true Saudi....

and you sir are speaking like a true racist... How exactly does a Saudi speak. Have you ever even been to Saudi Arabia...

I've never heard of the Saudi race.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:39 AM
link   
The dollar symbol means more to American leaders than that flag does.

Just sayin...

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
post removed because the user has no concept of manners

Click here for more information.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Thank op. You know its amazing that The American are now being told what they can or can't regard as important to them by people from other countries. Maybe they dont understand but The Flag means a great deal to me because it's a symbol of what this country was founded upon regardless of the deteriorated standard that has taken place since it's symbolic purpose and to remind Americans what were are supposed to remember and be thankfull for PS This is an issue inside The US and thats what the thread was talking about.. Stay on topic..
Thx op..
edit on 5-9-2011 by CherubBaby because: typo and xtra line

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Originally posted by michaelmcclen

Nice how you went directly to comparing this with Nazi's.
All countries do this.

What's wrong with having common goals and bring people together for them? Is that not what happens in almost every relationship? Granted, the state of our country is such that we have gotten far, far away from those goals, but that is why I see the American flag as a strong symbol of what we should stand for. This symbol becomes more and more important to me as our government takes us further and further away from what it stands for.

I said look not compare..........if you cant understand what Im typing or take the time fully digest the meanings of my words please dont reply to me.

I am talking about the psychology behind the flag and why countries put it first and foremost.

Not all countries as you say DO this, where I live flags are only flown on government buildings but not schools.

Flags are placed up by people to mark territories, nothing more. If that flag could pay my bills or my rent sure I would give it a hell of alot more respect but at the end the day its a symbol and symbols divide people.

Symbols, be it religious or other should be hidden, they are nothing more than personal belifs and parading them around does nothing but entice hatred. Im all for people owning them but they should never be on public display.

Its exactly the same thing with tatoos, ever wonder why bars exclude people with shown tatoos.

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by CherubBaby
Thank op. You know its amazing that The American are now being told what they can or can't regard as important to them by people from other countries. Maybe they dont understand but The Flag means a great deal to me because it's a symbol of what this country was founded upon regardless of the deteriorated standard that has taken place since it's symbolic purpose and to remind Americans what were are supposed to remember and be thankful for.
Thx op..

So keep your flag in YOUR OWN COUNTRY (that you stole from the natives long ago).

Stop putting your flag in Iraq, Vietnam, Afghanistan, Libya, etc etc

posted on Sep, 5 2011 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Alright people. Keep this civil.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join