It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The lowest "age of consent". Where ???

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
My view on age of consent? Each to his or her own. Fact is, a lot of our grandmothers were getting married around 14 years old. My grandma got married at 14 and my great grandmother at 13. They married men in their 20's.

Those poor women! Molested by adults!! OMG!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Pedobear, that weird meme that everyone brings up time and time again

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
The age of consent in Arabia is 9 (probably modeled after the age of the Prophet's wife, whose name I forget).

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-9-2011 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)

That would be Aisha.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by 11I11

I suppose so ...

But I suspect something more ... fishy in that "Bear"

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
reply to post by ExPostFacto

Remember this thread of mine ?

ATS THREAD

Sharia in the USA ?

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by SmedleyBurlap
The age of consent in Arabia is 9 (probably modeled after the age of the Prophet's wife, whose name I forget).

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 2-9-2011 by SmedleyBurlap because: (no reason given)
Those disgusting pigs also marry 9 year old girls, they think since their pedophile "prophet" did it, they feel it gives them the green light. Makes me wonder how American muslims feel about this.

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by orkson
Source

I was absolutely astonished when I discovered that the country in which you have the lowest age of consent (that is, age at which people of different sexualities can legally have sex) is not an African or Asiatic or some under-developped country.

No.

It's the VATICAN state !

Not kidding.(Link above)

And this age is ... 12 years old !

WOW !
edit on 2/

9/2011 by orkson because: mistyping

and your surprised ?
everyone one knows what the church gets up to, and the current pope was Hitler Youth soooooooo.............

posted on Sep, 2 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by ExPostFacto
Well in America 2 14 year olds have sex and they are both considered sex offenders for the rest of their lives.

There are some states in the US that will get you sex offender status simply by getting caught urinating on the side of the highway.

reply to post by TallWhiteHuman

Dude, Hank the angry dwarf! Man I miss that drunken little person lol!

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
Here is a nice map. As you can see, the lowest age of consent is in Arabic countries:

Age of consent

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeReK DaRkLy
reply to post by Nobama

You people and your morals....just because where you live something like this may seem sick, does not mean somewhere else in the world will see it the same way you do.

Those pesky morals!
Always crashing the tween sex scene...

So, you think 12 is a good age to settle down? Maybe start a family?

I believe what he meant to say is, contrary to thinking that it may be "disgusting" he can think is wrong, bad and will have repercussions on the life of that child, therefore should not be allowed, but is not "disgusting" as in "with my sister" kind of way.

What makes it 'disgusting', as opposed to 'be wrong' ? age? body? maturity? all those things are what makes it wrong, i child could be even more mature than many young women these days, if you go back a couple hundred years, because of the hard life they had to live, they had to mature quickly to be able to survive, boys turned into man a lot earlier than today, girls turned into woman a lot faster too, but this depended on where and how they used to live.

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Maslo

As this map is not in 3D neither in 4D
it's difficult to render some subtle pecularities ...

For the sake of truth, one has to say this, concerning islamic countries :
- it's indeed possible to mary a girl when she is VERY young. (even a little child)
- BUT a real sexual intercourse will only be possible when she is able to procreate, that is, when she has got his first menstruations (which could be nine, but any age until then)
That is the rule. As any rule, I suppose that it may be broken ...

But this sets a real problem : what is the rational criteria to decide the age of consent ?
Think of it.
And please, don't answer "the Law".
The question is WHY the Law says "12" or "13" or "15" or "14 for the boys, 18 for the girls", etc ...

posted on Sep, 3 2011 @ 08:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nobama
reply to post by mblahnikluver

OP that is disgusting...wow.

You people and your morals....just because where you live something like this may seem sick, does not mean somewhere else in the world will see it the same way you do.

Are you for real?!?!?!

You really think it's ok to have sex with a 12 year old????!?!??!

Wow...just wow again.....

People on here never cease to amaze me!

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Nucleardiver

Thank you, I was far too lazy to check for myself. I kept thinking Fatima, but I know that she was the daughter of Muhammad and wife of 'Ali.

There are so many sexphobic nerds in this thread. Lighten up, people. Didn't you ever pop a boner when you were 12? Most Americans have a very selective memory when it comes to sex. Yup! I didn't hit puberty until I was [the legal age of consent in my jurisdiction]! Or they're the sort of people who suffer grave injustices as children and then, when they become legal adults themselves and are no longer subjected to being imprisoned by their parents or punished for having erotic feelings et cetera, become tyrants in their own right.

Kaifan expresses my sentiments on this subject - that age is a number, and what matters is intellectual or emotional maturity.

I find it deeply unsatisfying that ATS is so loaded with legalists (Pharisees, for your religious nuts).

---THE LAW SAYS 18 THAT MEANS THAT ANYTHING BEFORE 18 IS A CRIME NUUUUUUU
---YOU BROKE THE CONSTITUTION NUUUUU
---BREAK THE LAW, PAY THE PRICE NUUUUUU

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:38 AM
link   
reply to post by SmedleyBurlap

Thank you for the bump ...
First, i would like to apologize : the age of consent in the Vatican is as in Italy (14 years old)

That said, I think that this issue deserves some real and honest discussion.

It's hard to define rational, objective reasons that have lead some countries to fix the age of consent to 13, while others fix it to 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, etc ...

There are cultural, religious, scolar, economical reasons.
But none which is really objective and rational.

In my opinion, there IS for a girl, an objective limit to childhood : it is when she becomes able to procreate.
This is not a fixed age, it depends upon the country, the race, etc ...

For the boys, it is much more difficult to refer to a physiological "trigger".
A boy doesn't menstruate ...
But there ARE physiological, biological facts that allow to declare that a boy is no more a child.

Another difficulty arouses when one speacks of nubility.
"Nubility" has nothing to do with the ability of procreating.
"Nubility" is the age where one is permitted BY THE LAW to get maried.
Obviously, having a difference between the age of consent and the age of nubility leads to logical contradictions.
The religions are in heavy trouble in that field : can you on one hand accept an age of consent of 14, an age of nubility of 18 on the other, and on the third (:@@
forbid sexual activities before the mariage ???

In some countries, birth control pills are given to girls (by their parents, or local administrations) much sooner than the legal age of consent.This is quite reasonable, but there again, contradictions, hypocrisy ...

This is a problem which concerns everyone. EVERYONE.
There is an enormous gap between the intellectual confort of the givers of moral concepts, the ayatollas of all the religions, and the vital force which lies in EVERYONE.

This should be the subject of an open dicussion, no ?
Or the subject is it too "Hot" and the risk is it to be named "a Bear" when coming into this issue ?

It's maybe usefull to tell that I am the father of a girl and two boys, a Grand father of 2 girls, 2 boys, and the older of my grand-daughter is 18 years old ... So I know what I am speacking of ...

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Versa
strange thing to be googling

Not sure why the Vatican city needs an age of consent at all
aren't they all sworn off sex?

That is something I have wondered as well... I mean, Yes it is a city, but do ordinary citizens live there? I figured it was just the Pope and his cronies.....

Either way... Not surprised about the age of Consent there.... I guess they can molest the alter boys legally there?

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by orkson

Obviously, having a difference between the age of consent and the age of nubility leads to logical contradictions.

Not necessarily. Entering a marriage takes more responsibility than just having sex, it is also something like a legal contract. Thus it makes sense for the limit to be higher, even at adulthood.

In some countries, birth control pills are given to girls (by their parents, or local administrations) much sooner than the legal age of consent.This is quite reasonable, but there again, contradictions, hypocrisy ...

Also not necessarily a legal contradiction, because there often are various near-age exceptions that legalize sex among teens themselves below age of consent.
edit on 4/9/11 by Maslo because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

I first discovered this fact off the British quiz show QI when they asked that very question and revealed the answer to be Vatican City.

Apparently when the rest of Italy put the age of consent as higher than 12, Vatican City just never went along with it and now it's still that age out of laziness.

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by gimme_some_truth

That is something I have wondered as well... I mean, Yes it is a city, but do ordinary citizens live there? I figured it was just the Pope and his cronies.....

Either way... Not surprised about the age of Consent there.... I guess they can molest the alter boys legally there?

Yeah, it's mostly the Pope and those in his close vicinity but it's also strangely not only the biggest bank in the world, it also is the "nation" with the highest recorded crime rate per year than anywhere else (something like 500 people living in Vatican City and 600 crimes reported per year, again, thanks to QI for that information)

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
Another way to look at age of consent is by the average life expectancy of that country. People used to get married at a younger age because people died at a younger age. The 9 year old getting married in Afghanistan sounds bad until you realize the life expectancy for them is 44....for you its 78. Imagine barely being able to see your kids grow up before dying. I'd have no parents, aunts, uncles, or grandparents left. Being 23, I would have already lived more than half my life. I'm not married nor do I have a girl. It would be pretty much impossible for me to get married and raise my children before I died.

Kids grow up a lot faster in other countries, the 12 - 14 year-olds I knew in South America had a better understanding of work, life, and ethics than a lot of 20+ year old Americans I know.

When you look at it like that, maybe you won't be so judgmental of other nation's customs and laws

posted on Sep, 4 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by deadmessiah

Watching Game of Thrones and now The Borgias helps understand your point too.

Lucrezia Borgia was married at the age of 13 to a man in his mid 20s by her father as just one example and others throughout history have been married at that age or even younger to men in their 30s, 40s or even 50s, mostly to form alliances and such whether or not consummation happened between the newlyweds.

As QI said and I repeated on these forums, Vatican City failed to update the age of consent to the higher age that the rest of Rome/Italy increased it to.

Now as far as adults having sex with children and using the age of consent as an excuse, pedophilia is still pedophilia whether there's an age of consent or not. It's still illegal, immoral and utterly and completely wrong and those that particupate should suffer enormously.

Weirdly though, in the UK the age of consent is 16 years old and yet, that means that any child under that age who has sex with another child could be prosecuted for engaging in something that legally they shouldn't be doing until the age of consent (16).

I've even read agony aunt columns where a 15 year old boy or girl has written in about something and the advice includes the line "remember though, what you're doing is technically illegal since neither of you are 16 yet".

Problem with that is, kids will sleep with each other under that age anyway in the UK. Not saying age of consent is a free pass to pedos because it isn't, 18 is the lowest limit possible for any adult male or female because that's when technically, you're a responsible adult in the eyes of the law and can drink alcohol from that age as well as own your own home etc.

The age of consent is basically there to make it illegal for children under the age of whatever country or nation deems it to be to engage in sexual relations with one another.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join