It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wow... England Needs A Revolution...

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   
reply to post by tigermoff

Has housing benefit been cut, or have they just lowered the maximum amount you can claim?
Because I remember the cap being moved, but don't recall discussions about actually cutting it.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
reply to post by christina-66

I am ware of the "lineage", however my point was specifically with regards to the Stewarts being regarded pretty much as a Scottish family, which for all intents and pruposes they were. Go back far enough and all the royal houses all over the shop were inter-related.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

Wow - and you express a desire to go into politics? You need to brush up on your diplomatic skills big time. Now if you'd like to become a bigoted football pundit you seem to have the right attitude.

Yes the west lothian question can be sorted by establishing an english assembly. It would be sensible. The scots mp's helped push thru' some appalling legislation for the last government - legislation that did not impact scotland. It's not fair - but a typical example of the second rate brain power running our country.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
reply to post by tigermoff

It hasn't been cut, it has been capped. A different thing altogether. It is capped at £850 a month, which to be honest is a pretty good deal anyway.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Nope - these people were ALL normans - and they protected their bloodlines - still do. Nought to do with lizards tho'. They were, and remain, Britain's aristocracy. A pretty successful invasion and occupation if you ask me - almost a thousand years - is it a record?
edit on 31-8-2011 by christina-66 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by christina-66
Wow - and you express a desire to go into politics? You need to brush up on your diplomatic skills big time. Now if you'd like to become a bigoted football pundit you seem to have the right attitude.

Huh? How so? I don't see anything it my post that could be called "bigotted", unless of course you're using the age old argument that anything thatconcerns England is fundamentally racist and related to football hooliganism? A problem any proud Englishman faces these days. It's ok to be a proud Scot or Welshman, but god forbid the English have a voice....

Yes the west lothian question can be sorted by establishing an english assembly. It would be sensible. The scots mp's helped push thru' some appalling legislation for the last government - legislation that did not impact scotland. It's not fair - but a typical example of the second rate brain power running our country.

Something that has repeatedly been rejected by those in power. Lord Livingstone, the former Lord Chancellor famously said that the best way to deal with the West Lothian question was "to not ask it."...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Not really. HM QE2 can trace a direct line to Harold himself. Even Harold was related to William though and all the Houses are inter related. Harald Hadrada was also related to both of them too, hence the 3-way they had in 1066.

Calling them all Normans is just glossing over and simplfying the rather complex web of relationships.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by stumason

Huh? How so? I don't see anything it my post that could be called "bigotted", unless of course you're using the age old argument that anything thatconcerns England is fundamentally racist and related to football hooliganism? A problem any proud Englishman faces these days. It's ok to be a proud Scot or Welshman, but god forbid the English have a voice....

Something that has repeatedly been rejected by those in power. Lord Livingstone, the former Lord Chancellor famously said that the best way to deal with the West Lothian question was "to not ask it."...

Ach for goodness sake. My brother's wife is from London. My son's father is from Manchester. My son's girlfriend is from London - she's moved up here. (As has my brother's wife's university lecturer parents)

It used to annoy me that so many of our rural housing was being sold to english buyers - my parents live on a scottish island where the scots are almost outnumbered by english residents. the locals out priced by those selling their over priced london semi's and buying our vioctorian villas in teh country for the same price.

One guy on Skye stopped me and told me how nice it was to hear a scottish accent. lol. the isle of Rum just bought their island - not a scottish accent among them.

Like i said it used to annoy me - now i just think it goes to show how crappy england must really be to live in. Not a slight on the residents of England by any means - but on the land being created for you.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Er, ok?

Not sure how that relates to anything, specifically what I posted...

I'm an Englishman that can't even buy a house in England! I certainly earn enough, but thanks to the piss-poor economic management by Brown, I can not get a mortgage and I am forced to rent at twice the price a mortgage would be because I can't save the required £20k needed for a deposit.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Ok - so the war's been called off then? We all have the same problems - they say the average wage is 25k - not here it isn't. We can't afford our housing either.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   

I'm not up for generlising about entire populations' mind sets. Not everyone in Scotland thinks Alex 'who ate all the pies' Salmond is a national hero. Not all Scots want independence. I wouldn't trust this lot up here to organise a tramline on a main street. (Especially when the Glasgow to Edinburgh train line passes within half a mile of Edinburgh airport and only ever required a train station)

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freeborn
Party allegiance in Parliament should be abolished and the power of recall given to the electorate in addition to an increased use of both national and local referendums would give a fairer representation of the electorates wishes instead of allowing the corrupt elite to persue their agendas against the wishes and well being of the British people.

Freeborn, you know that Parties arem't recognised in Parliament! The "system" that promotes party allegiance is not Parliament, it is the parties themselves and the idots who stick to their party no matter what "because my dad and grandad voted for them"...

As for the discussion about the pits closing and maggie being evil. If she hadn't had stood up the Unions we'd be a third world country now. The price of coal was plummetting in the 80's, yet the miners demanded more and more and more. The refused to negotiate, so in the end they lost out. Bad, yes, but not entirely Maggies fault. The whole "Evil Tories destroyed the North" sounds like typical Left wign propoganda.

Originally posted by EvanB
Live by your means?

How are you supposed to do that on £60 a week dole, or a £5.80 an hour job which after the tax robber has looted your wages you are left with £180 out of which comes £110 a week rent, £40 a week food (barely buys you much) £25 a week gas and electric, £20 a week just to get to work, then you have council tax. In fact you end up on a weekly deficit. Live in your means?? What a fkin joke!

Hmmm...Most minimum wage people don't pay tax! Not unless you're working 70 hours a week, which is illegal. The tax threshold is pretty high and is set to climb even higher in this Parliament.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   

I have no beef with the Scots, but the majority I meet seem to have bought Salmonds lies hook, line and sinker. The old "oil money" thing crops up more than anything these days. Even my "English" relatives who've lived in Scotland for 20 years have gone Native and bemoan us "bastard English" for all our perceived slights.

I would rather we stick together, our two countries have done so much and petty nationalism for the sake of it gets us no-where.

The irony of this financial crisis is that, had Scotland been independant, they would never had been able to save HBOS or RBS (the combined bailouts were much larger than Scotlands entire GDP), crashing their economy (as a much larger slice of the Scots economy is based on banking than the English) and they'd have to go cap in hand anyway, like the Irish did.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Oh, I earn way above the "average" and still can't get a mortgage... Missed the boat when they gave them out and now can't get together the deposit thanks to everything else costing so much. I spend £1000 a month on rent for a 3 bed terrace, yet if that was on a mortgage I'd have a 5 bed detached with a twin garage and a massive garden...

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:34 PM
link   

Aye so much for the canny scots. Fred the shrewdy Shred - you are a star with the biggest super injunction of all. Do you know they've employed that eejit to help with the Glasgow commonwealth games? uuurgh

I really have problems with, and ongoing direct experience, of the corrupt scottish establishment - particularly the legal and political fraternity - they are one in the same. It's too long, boring and serious to go into - but every aspect of our public/political/social life is tainted. I'm sick to the back teeth of it. We need the protection of the UK to save us from these clowns. If Scotland gains independence - I'm leaving.

Where the English do very little to help themselves the scots do less. BTW - now I AM generalising - I'm talking en masse - they're are obviously some great people here - as with everywhere else in.

We often criticise the US but at least they're pursuing those responsible for the financial debacle - often with criminal charges.

Ps. We've not all fallen for Salmond tho' he's a good orator - i'll give him that.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
reply to post by EvanB

And that's why i emigrated 12 years ago.A bleak future where i could never get beyond the bottom rung of the ladder awaited me in that country,our wealth and power was given away and the working class were thrown under the bus.There are far too many immigrants than there are jobs for them to fulfill.
A weak spineless government pretends to rule but it has over time let itself be dictated to by an outside source that has systematically destroyed the country.I feel bad for the elderly who will die having their hearts broken by the moral decline and grand ineptitude that prevails there.
A great nation it once was.How did it come to this?

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   
To the OP: Oh Hi. Did you expect better things from the legacy of Margaret Thatcher?

To the bright one that compared a revolution to the communist sociopolitical movement, have you read books lately 1-5 years ago?)

This is a human situation, the whole earth needs a solidarity change. Not just one country, nor one continent.
From this sentence, we all are one.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
The system of control in the UK is too good, so good in fact, that THEY know people won’t do anything, not because they can’t, but because they won’t, there won’t be any revolt. The social divide has become so wide that the only people struggling or likely to revolt have already been relocated into special areas. People are continuously being sent to these places where they operate a structure similar to the unofficial but deliberate social structure of a prison. These places can be council estates or even whole areas known as “bad area or rough area” everyone knows about them. The rest of the people have nice cars, flat screen TV’s and shiny things in fact even in the “bad areas” they have all these things that make them feel like they have got everything they ever wanted. The Fuel at £1.37 is a lot but nobody really cares because they know there is nothing they can do about it, about 10 years ago people were protesting about the cost of petrol, blockades, go slow’s etc. nothing happened. The government is not really in power, we only see the puppet government, in most cases it does not matter who you vote for, or if you even vote. The London riots clearly illustrate this “although it was all set up as a test to trial run a potential future scenario linked to the training the police had months ago about dealing with natural disasters and earthquake aftermath” it does show this social divide. The riots got to a point where “they” who have nothing and therefore nothing to lose gave up because they who do have nice things fought back vigilante style “it was the police who stopped it before it escalated further” the amount of control the uk government has is astounding.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   
People have renounced their wisdom. There is absolutely no chance that such people can ever resolve their problem - which is... renouncing their wisdom. It applies both to poor and rich. It is the human condition and it will deteriorate until all sensible articulation is lost (very little is left though). The history is exhausted, the ideas are exhausted, the emotions are exhausted. Technology has fully taken over the Earth.

posted on Aug, 31 2011 @ 07:30 PM
link   

England does not need a revolution... the UK needs a revolution, the sooner people see the UK as one country the better... its self importance that is destroying this world..

The UK is an artificial country created by invasion and conquest. Scotland, England, Wales and (Northern) Ireland and distinct nations and people with their own cultures and history. No great disaster ensued when Ireland finally gained their independence, nor when Canada or Australia or Hong Kong or Singapore or India all went their separate ways. Scottish independence should simply be seen as the next step in the divestiture of an archaic empire. It's something to celebrate, not to fear.

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join