It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America and Americans - What exactly are we good at? What makes us "the best"?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
When you really think about it America really is a young country, in terms of the age of a society. America only got their indepence not that long ago. I would say America is just 'testing' their bounderies just like a teenager would while the older societies in the world just put up with you until you start growing up a bit.

America has the potental to be a great country, you just need to learn to respect your 'elders' a bit more

Just my own thoughts.....

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Oh and we are really good at self hatred, while ignoring all the hard work our parents and grandparents accomplished.

WE have fallen, but we come from good stock from all over the planet, that is if you are talking about the average American.

We just need to wake up.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
bring fast food to all americans at a low cost at the expense of your belt size

edit on 17-8-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

You think we can find something good to say?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
Ha ha ha.. What a laugh !!! The USA good at anything ? What a joke ! Screwing the world for everything its got... And now crying like a baby because it did and its broke !! Stop being so pompus american'os and live in your onw country instead of waring and trying to rule in others...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
the OP said :

So...this is actually -not- an america bashing thread...its actually a where do we go, what can we do type thread. I love the global community, but I sit currently in America, and I don't like this sunk ship feeling. What national projects should we unify and push for? or should we simply give up and give the greatness name to some other nation that will step up and lead the new century

I am so sorry to hear mostly negativity. it is your attitude, Americans! change that! tune into being positive also.

i know you mean good, but your expression is like in your movies: sarcastic, black, full of bad visions

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

We just need to wake up.
That may be so, but in order for that to become a true reality, the consensus for the actual meaning of 'waking up,' needs to be altered. Most do not realize what 'waking up' actually is.

Many of the people on this site, and elsewhere, whom frequently repeat the terms 'sheeple' & 'waking up,' are not even remotely close to being awake. Most have just moved into a different fantasized dream, which causes them to think that they are fully aware of everything that is. I prefer to refer to this tactic as being 'brainwashing through the guise of anti-brainwashing.'

Convince people that you are only wanting to help them, and teach them the true reality. It is simplistic reverse psychology. Take a good look around, and you will see that it is very effective. Show a few truths, that causes others to focus so much on the past, and highly motivates them in their quest to pinpoint who was to blame, and they will not even glance at what is directly in front of them. Even after walking right into it, many do not even realize, because they are still looking backwards & searching for someone to point their fingers at.

The single biggest problem with this once beautiful country, is that everything has been twisted around in such a way, so that even those who think they are only looking into, and preparing for the future, are still using most of their brain dwelling on the past.

edit on 8/17/11 by BrokenCircles because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Interfering
Bullying
Causing wars
Starting wars
Losing wars

Only joking your great at all of those, don't lose the faith, and best of all keeping the truth about the ufo's from mankind and for me that's the worst on the dirty list. Wake up and change Ron Paul is no different from the rest. Who's funding him? Where's his birth certificate? Bet he's got royal blood! Is he a freemason?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
Starting wars.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Ask the leaders what their vision for America is. I don't mean the leaders you see out front putting up the facade but the wizards behind the curtain. America is still an innovator but losing her edge somewhat there. There is little discomfort in the home but with all the creature comforts people are realizing something is still wrong. There really is no necessity to mother an invention that we won't have to search for. We're told everything is jim-dandy like it is, just need to buy more of it.

Restore the American spirit, the free-thinkers, the folks that looked beyond and dared to be different. Too much everyone is being shaped from the same mold. That has to stop. At a young age our students should be encouraged, those that show the spark and ability, to go their own directions and seek new frontiers.

There really are new pathways being cut in America all the time, but some leaders who strive for the middle-ground of mediocrity do not acknowledge these. The corporations with vested interests rise up to squash new competitive innovation - new innovation has to make its first appearance stealthily and take the country by storm these days in order to be successful.

America can be great again, great still, we just have to make sure to beat the greedy bastards down that will try to stifle that innovation. We have to encourage new outlooks regardless how much we're told it flies int the face of what is acceptable. Acceptable for whom?

edit on 17-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
We're good at destroying culture and forcing other parts of the world to act like us. We're also good at going to war, killing off races of people, species of animals, lying, stealing...and forming an army of brain dead people to work all day for a big hunk of nothin...you can keep the change

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   
Our future is rooted in our past. We were pioneers, prospectors, soldiers, and families dedicated to Freedom from Tyrany. Why arent we like that today? We have been decieved, lied to, distracted and convinced that this is as far as we can go. This is not the truth. We can go further. There are many new frontiers in ourselves and in the vast expanse of space. We went to the moon and we can go further. Anything that we can conceptualize, we can do. We wanted to fly so we flew. We wanted to know so we explored and discovered. We wanted power so we created nukes. If we want to expand the reach of humanity then we should just stfu and do it like we always do. Thats what we're good at. Dont let those talking heads on tv and the interweb tell you any different.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

Originally posted by camaro68ss
bring fast food to all americans at a low cost at the expense of your belt size

edit on 17-8-2011 by camaro68ss because: (no reason given)

You think we can find something good to say?

I thought that was a good thing? people arnt starving in the streets when you have the dollar menu

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:54 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

America is great at propaganda, to make its own citizens believe that we are great, at everything, but the truth be known the reast of the world knows more about America that many of the American themselves.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

We are "GREAT" at ASSUMING we know more than our fellow Americans about how they live or what they know and understand and hold our opinions higher than theirs.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well what else can many do, when their own lives suck, they try to, manipulate and make miserable other people's lives.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
America is pretty damn good at blowing s#*t up, like super-duper-mega-good, whether it be by bullets or bombs. And apparently we excel at ruining peoples lives, our own and those abroad.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Looks like you're feeling how the Brits did after we conquered the world then began giving everything away and allowing others to start doing things instead of us constantly leading the way.

I can't say what the next thing for the US would be because I honestly wouldn't have the first clue where to start but don't worry, every nation has to go through this feeling once in a while.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:18 PM
link   
A good point...our psychology
However, this is born out of necessity, so not really a innovation verses a evolution.

Yes, you cannot go to china as a white or black person and become chinese...you will never be a russian president while being black (no time soon anyhow), you will not have a spanish president in france, etc...

But thats because the american culture is a mishmash of world cultures living side by side, so we have to drop the individual pseudo-pride of skintone and simply be americans, regardless of what your neighbor looks like.

Also, yes, our unending poking into various different lifestyles and mixing of ideals...again, evolution, not innovation...cramming soo much diversity together is bound to have all sorts of crossing effects.

I was wondering though...whats our next big space program (so to speak)...do we have plans on being the first nation to build a civilian allowed under ocean city, or be the ones that build the first full immersion virtual reality system? Will our government build the infrustructure for evacuated tube transport? Will we invest heavily on sublight engines and start a martian colony? Why is absolutely nothing big discussed on the national level without it involving bombs...it used to be a healthy competition between us and other parts of the world to be the first into space, or on the moon, or who has the biggest super collider...now the greatest sciences are coming out of europe, the greatest innovations are (arguably piggybacked) coming out of japan and china, the greatest movies are coming out of freaking new zeland (damn hobbits!)

I want a new "space program" moment...a unification by 80% of the population as we do something truely remarkable and huge...(20% will always hate)

Do we call our congressmen and tell them to do something big? Do we decide what few big programs could be done and vote on it, then spread a grassroots movement? How do we drive towards it? Do we really need another USSR to spark our desire and innovation?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by curious7

Looks like you're feeling how the Brits did after we conquered the world then began giving everything away and allowing others to start doing things instead of us constantly leading the way.

I can't say what the next thing for the US would be because I honestly wouldn't have the first clue where to start but don't worry, every nation has to go through this feeling once in a while.

Wait...

So, your suggesting Britian and America are different countrys? interesting...tell me more.

(seriously though, pretty much all mega innovation that is considered american is really a back and forth hair splitting innovation between the states and the uk. You lot are sort of half american, half european...depending on the day. Watch a brit and a yank discuss the computer and internet...they will bicker for hours about who lead that one when the actual answer is...yes, you both did. one required the other.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043
reply to post by SLAYER69

Well what else can many do, when their own lives suck, they try to, manipulate and make miserable other people's lives.

Life sucks better when you're #1 though or so it was thought.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join