It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America and Americans - What exactly are we good at? What makes us "the best"?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Actually it saddens me that after been the number one nation in the world, the greed of those on the top few are bringing our nation to its knees.

That hurts me more than anything, meanwhile we bicker and fight for silly things while never standing up to tell the nations leader that they have to do what the people wants and not the wants of special interest.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

Actually it saddens me that after been the number one nation in the world, the greed of those on the top few are bringing our nation to its knees.

That hurts me more than anything, meanwhile we bicker and fight for silly things while never standing up to tell the nations leader that they have to do what the people wants and not the wants of special interest.

You realize the general concept of what the people want has also been hijacked.
Most media is in the hands of a few corporatists that are constantly programming people in what they want. Some are screaming they want to be shot in the foot, the others are screaming that its the hand that should be shot...and the media makes daily discussions on why the hand or foot is better for shooting than the other guys...so we have a bunch of people screaming at each other about where we should shoot ourselves.

Its all a bit insane really, so no...I don't even want to give the people the power to decide what we want..not this generation..not until we replace media and free minds once again into thoughtful pondering of vision and future...until then, we will have the same result every time.

Here is a kicker...the politicians =are= doing what the people want...yes, we are that screwed up. I think we need to stop blaming the puppets on the hands and start looking at the hands...you will find our media, and us, are the ones attached to those hands...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
I always thought Americans were the best in spending money, and your government has proven it.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:02 PM
link   
My opinion is America has lacked a truly strong leader for many years ,someone who is just ,and grabs a problem by the scruff of the neck ,like the great presidents of the past.

America been plagued by megalomaniac corrupt corporate businessman/banksters ,who have abused and corrupted the system for self greed and gains.

That's my 2 pence anyway.

edit on 17-8-2011 by TheMaverick because: Because i can

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by BrokenCircles

is that everything has been twisted around

It certainly has been twisted.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheMaverick
My opinion is America has lacked a truly strong leader for many years ,someone who is just ,and grabs a problem by the scruff of the neck ,like the great presidents of the past.

America been plagued by megalomaniac corrupt corporate businessman/banksters ,who have abused and corrupted the system for self greed and gains.

That's my 2 pence anyway.

edit on 17-8-2011 by TheMaverick because: Because i can

Well, yes, we have been sold down the river.

I watched a three part documentary on The Appalachians and what they did to them, still holds true today,

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeWorldOrder
We're good at destroying culture and forcing other parts of the world to act like us. We're also good at going to war, killing off races of people, species of animals, lying, stealing...and forming an army of brain dead people to work all day for a big hunk of nothin...you can keep the change

Who's we? You got a mouse in your pocket?

Do you work?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
1. eating fast food.
2. watching tv
3. endless arguments with complete strangers on the internet

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by curious7
reply to post by SaturnFX

Looks like you're feeling how the Brits did after we conquered the world then began giving everything away and allowing others to start doing things instead of us constantly leading the way.

I can't say what the next thing for the US would be because I honestly wouldn't have the first clue where to start but don't worry, every nation has to go through this feeling once in a while.

Wait...

So, your suggesting Britian and America are different countrys? interesting...tell me more.

(seriously though, pretty much all mega innovation that is considered american is really a back and forth hair splitting innovation between the states and the uk. You lot are sort of half american, half european...depending on the day. Watch a brit and a yank discuss the computer and internet...they will bicker for hours about who lead that one when the actual answer is...yes, you both did. one required the other.

No no, I was suggesting that the Brits hundreds of years ago when the Empire was broken up and we stopped leading the way in science, technology, medicine and the like is how you're feeling as a modern day American. That feeling of being out of control, done everything you could and now it's up to others to take control of some aspects with a powerlessness and a thought of "what do we do now?"

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
...which americans are you talking about, saturn?... central americans?... north americans?... south americans?... oh, silly, me - of course you were referring to usofa americans - most of whom believe they're the only americans on two whole continents and that chunk in the middle...

...o'my... was that TOO sarcastic?... yeah?... well, okay - hold on - lemme fetch a glass of wine and see if it will improve my altitude, errr, uh, attitude...

What are we good at now

...collectively - as george carlin so aptly said, "we're real good at bombing brown people", proving that now isnt all that different from how things were 50 years ago...

...change that to "we're real good at killing non-whites and forcing the survivors into submission", and you can see that now isnt all that different globally from how things were in the americas 500 years ago...

...however some things are different... now, because they believed it couldnt happen to them, middle class and upper class white folks are on the chopping block too... is that karmic justice?... no... its just the natural progression of feeding a monster and being arrogant enough to believe it wont one day turn on you - but - sigh, its not like that awareness is gonna make the monster disappear now - way too late for that...

...so, lemme think of happier things that we usofa-ers are good at...

...da blues... thats ours!... all ours - but - we wouldnt have it if jerks hadnt captured and imported black africans to be slaves... aint that a kick in the pants... must be something good we're known for that doesnt have a negative aspect...

...hours later...
...brain strain from trying to think of something thats entirely ours and entirely good...

What national projects should we unify and push for?

...on a national level - none cuz no matter how good it starts out, once it begins the legislation process it will be ruined by cancerous add-ons...

...the only positive projects i can personally promote focus on my family, loved ones, neighbors and the strangers i encounter when i go out... a sincere smile goes a long way and sometimes thats all i got and its just what someone else needs...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
Oh and we are really good at self hatred, while ignoring all the hard work our parents and grandparents accomplished.

I see that being reflected in many replies thus far.
That goes without saying.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:35 PM
link   
Come on folks, America deserves some credit.

Just take a look at these:
* Facebook - Cambridge, Massachusetts
* Twitter - San Franciso, California
* Apple - Cupertino, California (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

I understand the cynicism but these recent American innovations have all taken the world by storm.

These are not just innovative, but totally revolutionary, that alone has got to account for something.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
I'm sure it's been covered

reality TV
war
baseball
jazz
channeling money from a central bank to a wealthy few

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psychedelica
no one is the best. all country has different good and bad things.

America is not No.1 none is.

+1!

Any form of ranking people as well as nations is pointless.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
I understand the cynicism but these recent American innovations have all taken the world by storm.

All MADE IN CHINA.
For sale at your local Wal-Mart....

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

All MADE IN CHINA.
For sale at your local Wal-Mart....

What isn't anymore?
...but I think you are missing the point.
These were all started in the USofA.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

All MADE IN CHINA.

Absolutely.

edit on 17-8-2011 by David9176 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

What isn't anymore?
...but I think you are missing the point.
These were all started in the USofA.

That's my whole point. We don't manufacture much of anything of a retail nature anymore. Sure, we sell some of the most advanced weapons and a lot of chemicals etc. But not much else as far as everyday usage items which keeps people employed which generates tax revenue which in turn offsets the budget deficit etc etc etc.

Meanwhile the US hemorrhages hundreds of Billions of dollars to OPEC and hundreds of Billions of dollars to China for trinkets every year etc etc. Now if we were self sufficient in our fuel productions we would stop that loss and if we manufactured about 1/2 of what we imported we would cut that loss as well.

Now how would the US economy look if we had that upwards of 800 [or more] Billion being spent here in the US yearly?

That's like having Obamo's stimulus package every year without Debt

Think about it...

edit on 17-8-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Winning, it's habitualy American.

Even if there is a loss, Americans find a way of still being the winner regardless of the outcome by ingoring the loss. Annoying to some who might find it arrogant or delusional or the mark of a bully but Kudos from me if that force can be used for the good of all.

Time to use that skill and win big time against those who got you in the state you're in. Cut the cr*p, no more waiting, no more if's or but's.

Revolution, a new government, and a country of citizens who show they hold that new government accountable. Not by expecting someone else to do it but by acting on mass for the benefit of their own and their family and friend's futures.

Nobody should be immune to responsibility in matters of civilization. You have a duty.

But....I fear sometimes that the spirit of winning I'm talking about will remain just wishful thinking and hot air. I hope not.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks
...which americans are you talking about, saturn?... central americans?... north americans?... south americans?... oh, silly, me - of course you were referring to usofa americans - most of whom believe they're the only americans on two whole continents and that chunk in the middle...

Actually, the United States of America is the only country in this hemisphere to use "America" as part of its proper name. So, Americans are from the USofA. Estados Unidos Mexicanos, or the United States of Mexico is its official name and here we are Mexicans (and a few expats too). United States is not as specific as American. That seems to be the way to settle that name dispute that's muddled by geography.

What are we good at now

...collectively - as george carlin so aptly said, "we're real good at bombing brown people", proving that now isnt all that different from how things were 50 years ago...

Yeah, I have sort of a unique perspective on that - note my location. Sending the troops in to Mexico to put us in our place is a common theme on ATS. We are a little leery of our neighbors to the north; they hate us for our freedoms here. Actually the American govt. is playing games with us all, arming two rival cartels "...in order to protect the Mexican government." Or at least that is the latest development in Fast and Furious arms "scandal" -
www.abovetopsecret.com...

The CIA’s motive is clear enough: The U.S. government is afraid the Los Zetas drug cartel will mount a successful coup d’etat against the government of Felipe Calderon.
So, we'd prefer it instead of the good "goin'over" ATSers would like to give us you'd just back your boys down out of Mexican affairs instead. We might all be happier with that.

...change that to "we're real good at killing non-whites and forcing the survivors into submission", and you can see that now isnt all that different globally from how things were in the americas 500 years ago...

...however some things are different... now, because they believed it couldnt happen to them, middle class and upper class white folks are on the chopping block too... is that karmic justice?... no... its just the natural progression of feeding a monster and being arrogant enough to believe it wont one day turn on you - but - sigh, its not like that awareness is gonna make the monster disappear now - way too late for that...

Yeah, that's sort of why I bailed out of there a few years ago.

...so, lemme think of happier things that we usofa-ers are good at...

...da blues... thats ours!... all ours - but - we wouldnt have it if jerks hadnt captured and imported black africans to be slaves... aint that a kick in the pants... must be something good we're known for that doesnt have a negative aspect...

Excellent. I was thinking along those lines. American innovation, The Blues, and it's a product of our cultural blending. I think multi-culturalism is an American strength, tempered with American nationalism. It's all good if kept in perspective.

...hours later...
...brain strain from trying to think of something thats entirely ours and entirely good...

Good, stay with that, The Blues, very American. American doesn't mean it has to be white to be "ours".

What national projects should we unify and push for?

...on a national level - none cuz no matter how good it starts out, once it begins the legislation process it will be ruined by cancerous add-ons...

...the only positive projects i can personally promote focus on my family, loved ones, neighbors and the strangers i encounter when i go out... a sincere smile goes a long way and sometimes thats all i got and its just what someone else needs...

I think those are admiral ideals. What else is left to make our lives "easier" and more entertaining? I know,we'll think of a few more things and invent them as the need arises. For now it seems you are correct about where to place the focus. A lot can be accomplished on the social and domestic front, and it will require some innovation to make it work.The dynamics of economics are not the only important things in the life of a nation. Surely we can afford some peace even if astronomical prosperity is out of reach.

I hope this will be appropriate here in this topic. I believe our next innovations should really take a good look at the way we conduct "society." I'm still an American and this is my sketchy remake of our world, and hopefully are global goals will allow for divergent cultural norms. An excerpt from my profile page: www.abovetopsecret.com...

I have a lot of ideas about how things ought to be. I expect if I were running the world we would be doing some things very differently. Differently is the operative word, people are different and want different things.

First off, we would do away with the prison system. Justice would be about finding a place for everything and the administration of justice would be about putting things in their place. I respect people's right to be different and follow their own ideals.

Behaviors I might find abhorrent I suggest may be perfectly fine for those that engage in them. I firmly believe birds of a feather should be permitted to flock together. Thieves should live among thieves, murderers with murderers, etc., as an example of the worst examples. Communities should have their own standards. And perhaps our grandest cities would have some of the strictest standards of conduct and could bar those who don't uphold them. Still, those barred individuals would have their place to express their ideals and individualities.

Many times I have been asked who or what I "believe in". First, I don't like the term "believe in", that implies blind faith with perhaps absolutely no indication of proof it is even plausible. I have ideas, thoughts, and perhaps "beliefs" though they are not carved in stone. I may feel strongly about some things but I do change these ideas as logic or new information may suggest. I would say the only thing I actually "believe in" would be the limitless potential of Man.

edit on 17-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join