It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

America and Americans - What exactly are we good at? What makes us "the best"?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
you've given the rest of us :
mcdonalds
kentucky fried chicken
pizza hut
hollywood movies
ben and jerry's ice cream
and the most obese nation on the planet. i wonder why?
america is the best country to americans.
russia is the best country to russians
ireland is the best country to the irish
what im saying is the world does'nt see america as the best country
only egotistical american patrons do

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Without doubt we fall behind in education....but at the same time our educating system is preferred over nations that have existed a lot longer than us...so maybe there is something there?

We strive to educate for democracy...we strive to educate for the future of the world...we only accomplish a small part of that...but we are present!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nerbot
Winning, it's habitualy American.

Revolution, a new government, and a country of citizens who show they hold that new government accountable..

I hope there is still some hope for our American system, some necessary redemption we can hold government accountable to as I fear revolution may be the other answer. What rises from those ashes may not be a beautiful phoenix.

Thanks for the reminder American is all about winning. Winning is as American as Mom and apple pie, and da blues. Star for that! I almost forgot that true American virtue.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
Come on folks, America deserves some credit.

Just take a look at these:
* Facebook - Cambridge, Massachusetts
* Twitter - San Franciso, California
* Apple - Cupertino, California (iPod, iPhone, iPad)

I understand the cynicism but these recent American innovations have all taken the world by storm.

These are not just innovative, but totally revolutionary, that alone has got to account for something.

Facebook ripped off things like Friendster that came before it.
Apple ripped of the Eurpoean born Amiga OS.
Twitter? What is innovative about twitter? Being proud of inventing twitter to me like being proud of inventing syphilis.

Not trying to just disparage your post but if America is going to be proud of its innovation, it should not be bragging by using the things that were just blatantly stolen.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
Actually, the United States of America is the only country in this hemisphere to use "America" as part of its proper name. So, Americans are from the USofA. Estados Unidos Mexicanos, or the United States of Mexico is its official name and here we are Mexicans (and a few expats too). United States is not as specific as American. That seems to be the way to settle that name dispute that's muddled by geography.

When you cross the border into Canada and they ask you where you are from, if you say America they tell you wrong answer. Canadians at the border sure do consider Canada part of America. Just ask them.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

Actually, the United States of America is the only country in this hemisphere to use "America" as part of its proper name. So, Americans are from the USofA.

When you cross the border into Canada and they ask you where you are from, if you say America they tell you wrong answer. Canadians at the border sure do consider Canada part of America. Just ask them.

The Canadian Provinces of America?? Does Canada have America as part of its official name? To my knowledge only the United States of America does.

For me I should say the United States. I am both from the United States of America and the United States of Mexico. In my case the US would be most accurate.

edit on 17-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

Come on folks, America deserves some credit.
I understand the cynicism but these recent American innovations have all taken the world by storm.

All MADE IN CHINA.
For sale at your local Wal-Mart....

What isn't anymore?
...but I think you are missing the point.
These were all started in the USofA.

American: What did you guys ever do?
Ferner1: We gave everyone in our country free health care and they live longer.
American: What about you guys, what did you ever do?
Ferner2: We gave everyone a free education so everyone at least has the opportunity to learn.
What exactly have you guys done?
American: We invented Twitter and mastered copyright infringement.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

The Canadian Provinces of America??

Is a title you just made up.

Did you really not understand what I wrote?

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Well, I think I have concluded something.

I think America has fallen because..well, of all of you lot.
Not specifically, what was typed in this thread (myself included) is almost purely pessimism...and you can't be on a winning team if everyone is saturated in self defeat. The problem isn't the government, because we are the government, the problem is our attitude, and we are not helping or adding to it.

Anyone can point at a hole, and rip it a bit...we have lost not only the ability, but even desire to build something...instead just focusing on what is broken.

Thanks for the participation folks..the problem seems much larger than what I initially feared...its one thing to see obstruction holding back greatness, its another to see the obstruction is actually covering up the rampant weakness

We fall.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by David9176

Ahhh,you forgot the cupcakes,twinkies and ding dongs.
Coffee,soda pop and booze.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:27 PM
link   
America is good at being diverse. I would argue they are the best at it, however i have only lived in America.

This county offers the most diverse geography on the planet (mnts, desert, beaches, volcanoes, forests,etc)
This county has the most expertise and control in modern warfare
This county is supremely multi-cultral and accepts more immigration than any other nation.
This county is pretty good at supplying entertainment (theme parks, music,movies, sports -
American footbal, basketball, baseball, nascar, bowling, surfing, skateboarding

America is good at the hip and trendy as well as the simple and reserved. The best at being relevant.

Lots of bad things to mention too, but i think those have already been addressed.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Not all white people are completely of the white race.
I am legally white but I am also part cherokee and blackfeet.
So,some of my ancestors' were here in the U.S.A. before my
white ancestors' came over.

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kitilani

The Canadian Provinces of America??

Is a title you just made up.

Did you really not understand what I wrote?

I understand Canada is on the North American continent. Is America part of Canada's official name?

en.wiktionary.org...
Proper noun

Canada
A country in North America; official name: Canada.
(historical) Lower Canada or Upper Canada, often "the Canadas". Also Canada East or Canada West.

Synonyms
Canuckistan, Soviet Canuckistan
Great White North
neighbor to the north

Canada is in North America. Is it "America"? No, that would be the United States of America.

I understood. You?

edit on 17-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   
...thx for the response, eron...

...my, uh, "which american" (country vs continent) stab is just one of my fav satirical routines - a "gotta my kicks where i can" kind of thang... i use american to describe usofa-ers all the time (but lets just keep that between us, lol)...

Sending the troops in to Mexico to put us in our place is a common theme on ATS.

...yep, i've noticed but its not limited to just ats...

We are a little leery of our neighbors to the north; they hate us for our freedoms here.

...never heard anyone say that... mostly what i hear is supremacist bs, like folks believing that us usofa peons are so much more in control our of government than mexicans are in control of their government, which is just crazy as loon thinking...

multi-culturalism is an American strength, tempered with American nationalism.

...i cant be against diversity - but - as with anything thats forced on people, diversity can be a sharp sword that never stops cutting... the word nationalism has a negative connotation to me, so i fail to see how it can temper anything...

It's all good if kept in perspective.

...not if your perspective is a crappy one - which mine often is...

American doesn't mean it has to be white to be "ours".

...say what?...
...you think i'm white?...
...that purty chickee in my avatar isnt me, just in case thats where you got confused... i've never been anywhere near that pale... even dead i wont be that pale...
...(and, yep, i'm messin with ya)...

An excerpt from my profile page: www.abovetopsecret.com...

...good read... i had to think about that for a while cuz the no prisons part threw me... i agree the system doesnt work (except for the corporations that make money off of it) and its long been a tool of the elite to destroy families... theres no rehab in prison... not so bad people come out really twisted more often than not... so, maybe your idea isnt so far fetched - but - for it to work, you'd still have to have a massive law enforcement presence cuz predators have the tendency to try to blend into nice society in search of victims...

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by mamabeth
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

Not all white people are completely of the white race. I am legally white but I am also part cherokee and blackfeet. So,some of my ancestors' were here in the U.S.A. before my white ancestors' came over.

...and this is being addressed to me for what reason?...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
What are Americans good at? Keeping up the idealsand values in wich the country was founded on. i do not talk of polititians, who already showed they took a poop on them, i talk about the regular citizen.
Sure, with all the Gaga and Hiltons and too much entertainment, these Ideals seem to have been forgotten by at least 2 generations, but i'm sure it'll survive.

Never in my short life, have i felt more respect for a NATION. And all this comes from me and my broken country and identity.

The U.S.A is a place where people from all over the globe have gone to accomplish their dreams, wether it's being a grand entrepeneur, an actor or just live a simple life being a regular guy in a great neiborghood(me).
Yes, americans need to open their eyes, and realize that you've got problems, and that its YOUR TURN at keeping up the Country's engines going.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX
Well, I think I have concluded something. I think America has fallen because..well, of all of you lot.

...thx, always happy to do my share...

Not specifically, what was typed in this thread (myself included) is almost purely pessimism...

...gosh, you say that like its a bad thang...

and you can't be on a winning team if everyone is saturated in self defeat.

...o'my, not another "go team go!" cheerleader... gwb was a cheerleader - look where that got him...
...almost as creepy as making being a clown your goal... look where that got john wayne gacy... shiver...

...and i'm mostly just teasing you...

The problem isn't the government, because we are the government,

...no, thats a fantasy... we, the people, are not the government...

the problem is our attitude and we are not helping or adding to it. Anyone can point at a hole, and rip it a bit...

...yeah, well, look at this way... our federal government is like a huge painful boil and it will not get better until it is lanced and the poison is drained...

we have lost not only the ability, but even desire to build something...instead just focusing on what is broken.

...gimme something to build that the government will not tear down, blow up or tax me into oblivion for...

its one thing to see obstruction holding back greatness, its another to see the obstruction is actually covering up the rampant weakness
We fall.

...i dont think we're weak... i think we're pissed off because we're tired of being lied to and having our rights trampled and, mostly, we're tired of going broke while our federal government spends money our nation's coffers do not have...

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 12:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

multi-culturalism is an American strength, tempered with American nationalism.

...i cant be against diversity - but - as with anything thats forced on people, diversity can be a sharp sword that never stops cutting... the word nationalism has a negative connotation to me, so i fail to see how it can temper anything...

I'm with you there. I am visualizing a society where the way-of-life is not dictated or thrust upon anyone, where there is a choice to live in diversity or to stick to one's own kind. As I hadn't gotten that far yet I was trying to sketch-in some relief form forced diversity as it applies to the US. I agree with "nationalism" ringing some off-timbre bells and perhaps "American pride" might have been more fitting even though that would still be reaching a bit.

I myself have gone through many changes. Just a few days ago I had my passport out and decided to scan the 7 year-old photo to use as an avatar for awhile. If anyone recalls any of my recent avatar photos they could see the changes are drastic. This one is almost hilarious now, my natural white hair tinted and cut conservatively short and everything wlse to blend into my former work environment. Man I sure look like middle America there. Now I am retired and living in diversity and no longer on a military reservation. I am quite the same yet not quite the same anymore. The way people respond to me is quite different also.

An excerpt from my profile page: www.abovetopsecret.com...

...good read... i had to think about that for a while cuz the no prisons part threw me... i agree the system doesnt work (except for the corporations that make money off of it) and its long been a tool of the elite to destroy families... theres no rehab in prison... not so bad people come out really twisted more often than not... so, maybe your idea isnt so far fetched - but - for it to work, you'd still have to have a massive law enforcement presence cuz predators have the tendency to try to blend into nice society in search of victims...

Did I mention it is just a sketch of an idea? It wouldn't put anyone out of work but it would change the focus of law enforcement and the justice system. I am all for trying to give the people what they want and not try to force any type of conformity. Our big cities and commercial centers may have to become the most demanding in terms of the conduct code that would be expected but the rewards would be worth the effort to some. Others not up to those demands would find their place and may not want to travel far from home.

I got rather displeased with the pure white world. I welcome the diversity and welcome conforming to other community standards for the privilege of visiting those places. The idea was just one man's paradise.

Your post seemed to touch all around on those subjects I feel are important. I share some of the same values, I believe. I just look for ways to give everyone the world they want, not all of it to pillage and plunder but their own slice of it. Of course I like pillage and plunder too. I hope some group choose that so I can drop-in on them and join the fun sometime.

I hope you are able to live the life you desire.

edit on 18-8-2011 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:11 AM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

I am constantly hearing this sentiment of, America is the greatest country on earth, e.t.c.
Not even close, allow me to point out a few things.
America has:
More murders/crime then most other developed nations.
Soldiers are payed a pittance compared with most other developed nations.
Serial killers are dime a dozen, they are rare in most other developed nations.

just a few things there as an entree.
America's 2 biggest problems? fanatical patriotism and a severe lack of knowledge of the rest of the world.
Your governing bodies have you believing that your the greatest!
only a few steps above North Korea for social brain washing.
Honestly, think about it.

posted on Aug, 18 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   

I myself have gone through many changes. Just a few days ago I had my passport out and decided to scan the 7 year-old photo. If anyone recalls any of my recent avatar photos they could see the changes are drastic.

...i noticed you changed your pic but i wouldnt say the change was drastic... i recognized ya right off... you didnt give up your guitar, did ya?... hope not... i cant play guitar worth beans (got 3 accousticals)... i think its a mental block cuz i'm purty good on mandolin - got two, one is electric and i LOVE it but my dog hates it and howls at it when i get loud and i often get very LOUD, lol... i got a banjo that i can sorta half-assed play... its a sears and roebuck special made in the late 1890s or right at the turn of the century, parchment face...

Did I mention it is just a sketch of an idea?

...i dont remember - dang that crs syndrome - but i figured as much... i used to write out ideas like that... havent done it in long time... i have a suitcase filled to the brim with stuff i've written over the decades... its kinda fun to go back and read some every once in a while... some of its still purty good... some of it makes me wonder what the hell was wrong me that day?...

I hope you are able to live the life you desire.

...thx... i have before and, hopefully, i will again... currently i'm my mom's only caregiver... she has alzheimers and is fading fast but, with this disease, no one can tell ya what to expect when... so, its a good thing i'm used to flying by the seat of my pants and without a map...

...re: desires... when this run is over, i hope i have the money to go to peru for a few months but i have some problems with my plan... i wont fly cuz they wont let me sit in the cockpit so i can boss the pilot around... i know nothing about how to fly an airplane but logic has nothing to do with it, lol... i wont go by ship cuz i may not get to choose how i die but i can choose not to end up as shark poop and i'm sure thats what would happen if i got on a ship, lol... so, my plan is to drive an RV all the way to the bottom - go down the pacific side, come up the atlantic side - and - thats where the logistical problems come into play...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join