It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Buy 1lb T-Bone Steaks With My Food Stamp Card

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 03:53 AM
link   
someone very close to me was stuck inthe box 3 times. shot, traumatic brain injury and severely scarred lungs from the first gulf that makes him incapable of breathing if he isnt medicated. Mysteriously any chem warfare was denied in the first but ask around concerning the symptoms of the guys who were there. People forget all about Kuwait and that whole mess. Mil didnt care, hearings and evaluations are BS, and he didnt bother waiting around for decisions to be made by people who didnt have the same concern for his family or his future that he does. When his term was up he didnt reup and finished service after serving from 18 yrs old to in his 30's. The mil was his life and only career until that point. He bucked up, got a job and is successful never spending a day on any assistance. In fact, he still works for the gov and makes twice as much as he did. By all rights he should be compensated.. the man cant breathe without prednisone or an inhaler.. sometimes o2 and he WILL die from it. he lost a lot of time recovering and in rehab due to the injuries he got in combat and new things surface all the time related to the anth vaccine that they used in gulf 1 that was banned among many other things.** BUT** just because something is right in compensation doesnt mean youre going to get it. You can let the govt break you and stick you in a box or say screw you and do it without their help.

what Im saying is that when there is a will there is a way. Just because you deserve something doesnt mean that you should sit around having your life on hold waiting for it. make this a stepping stone and dont make it comfortable. Dont think this is as good as it gets because you can get some decent cuts of meat simplistically speaking. More than likely you arent going to get it any real compensation and are being thrown scraps. Ask some older combat vets just what they are still waiting on and the fact that they would be living under a bridge if they waited around and didnt buck up and take care of business themselves. Plenty of them are living under a bridge or worse. There are guys who CANT physically go grocery shopping and arent getting any help. In fact, in my area there are so many homeless vets ( some like living corpses they are so ill and injured) that the one org for homeless vets in St Louis runs it like a mil camp set up like barracks and very similar protocol.. works well. We definitely take care of our own since you cant count on a suit to figure out his ass from his elbow when it comes to combat injuries and trauma.. or expect them to really care.

I cant imagine anyone in their right mind desiring to live on assistance... temporary or not. Its a sucking hole once you get on it and Ive seen many a vet stuck in that whirlpool. I guarantee you, youre going to find it damned difficult to ever get off of it if you have the mentality that they owe you and youre going to win. The "they owe me" mindset of the injured vet is really no different than the "they owe me" mindset of the generationally on welfare. Different reasons but same results. Many get sucked down in that whirlpool and never get out still fighting for pathetic scraps the gov throws their way so it appears they take care of the combat vets to the public that cares to give it a casual glance.. and they piss the little life they have left rather than living it all for the promise of a crap housing apartment, a few bucks to barely feed themselves and inadequate medical care.

I say dont you wait for a decision on your disabillities or all of that BS. Start laying the framework for sustainability by your own hand asap. You better drill it in your head every day that you are the master of your own destiny and work like hell to take care of your own. Take this time on foodstamps and assistance to lay the framework and realize youre going to have to put up with more pain and BS.. but you wil reward yourself and not be waiting on the decision of strangers. I feel there will be a worse time in the near future and you will not have the way to feed your family if you rely solely on foodstamps. You have to already see the rise in grocery prices, but the food stamp amt staying the same. Already its coming up short for many before the end of the month. That 2 weeks before the card gets loaded around here we have kids getting fed at the park with an assistance group because we dont have free breakfast and lunch at school in the summer, pantries totally bare, charities no longer offering utility assistance because he food is GONE and they have to replenish it. Most dont see it but its hitting the poor and those dependent on assistance right now. For some the S has already HTF and they are already experiencing a personal apocalypse. I dont think the general public realizes how many active duty families are living in real poverty... not to mention the medical discharges among combat vets and their families. Its a shameful thing thats been hushed up and swept under the rug.

heads up.. if you think battle is over, think again.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 06:32 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Nothing to be ashamed of, thats what they are for..

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

I would say...a lot of your aliments are due to your service and that if you are already receiving VA disability benefits then they are not giving you what you are supposed to be getting!! I hope you fought that crap because from your list there you should definitely be getting right around 100% or more and if that is the case you most likely wouldn't need those stamps. My fiance is in the process of fighting his decision...It was such a blow to the gut for him to acknowledge we needed help with food when this economy got real bad...i went up and applied for them because i knew how much it has hurt his pride knowing he needed to ask for help to support his family...and it makes it worse when the workers at social services have to act like your dirt on their shoe!!

It makes us mad when our neighbors get all sorts of benefits and help from the government and churches...when they eat out at least twice a day! I have offered to take them shopping with me to help them get things that will last the whole month at better prices and they have never taken us up on that offer. She cant cook! So flippen learn too...Learn to clean your damn house too while your at it (freaken gross and neither of them work)!!! Landlord just told us they lost all their stamps cause they lied....i knew something was very wrong!

Dont worry about what others think!! As far as i can see it.....if you need stamps then our country isnt doing enough to pay you back for your loses due to service for our country!! Take care and thank you for your service to our country! Good Luck with the new baby!!

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

☼ I have two kids and another about to be born.
☼ I have a wife who is out of work due to pregnancy complications.
we are already sharing a house with my inlaws because we could no longer afford our house after taking a 66% pay cut medically retiring.

Sounds like you need to invest in some condoms.
2nd line

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   

People have a problem with that?

1. You served your country
2. You have the right to eat good, you deserve it.

I dont see anything wrong with it, what i do see wrong with abuse to social programs is when people trade their food stamps for cash, im the city i live in, it is common for junkies on food stamps to go to corner stored ran by foreigners to buy countless bags of chips, and other junk food, then sell it back to the store for half price cash.

When i worked at circuit city, in philadelphia, i had on numerious occasions people buying car stereos with EBT cards, using the CASH feature. disgusting that is, what you do, not bad at all.

you eat what ever the hell you wish

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by sicksonezer0

You seem to be smart, power to you

Although i think you obsess over red meat as a "healthy" food. Reading the list of your ailments...you might be better off eating healthy and cut down on your meat intake...just my $0.02 I am not a vegetarian either, and yes steak is great...but to me it sounds like you somehow feel responsible for your family (understandable!) and think if they don't eat red meat/steak then the food is supposedly "not that nutritious" or something?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Unlike most people you deserved to live off of uncle Sam! enjoy your retirement! i'm still in and my body is slowly degrading, i'm about to be on permanent profile for my knee (a profile is a form filled out by a doctor to show what you can and can't do physically).

If you ever need anything just U2U me.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   

May I ask how old you are and how long did you pay into the system? Do you receive any help other than food stamps?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:29 AM
link   
Its great to Hear ! Ive Been in Rough Spots Myself S&F Coupons are So Awesome and Saving Money or even Food Stamp Card My Woman and I get Manager Specials or Meats Half price just before the Expiration date ! then We Freeze it !!

I suggest for you to get a Coupon Folder planner my Woman lives by it !
She takes it everywhere! and leaves it in the car just in case !

and Double up Coupons !

Ignore the Guy Above this post ! Being a bit Nosey! asking you how much you paid into the system! and Asking you what other programs your in ! WOW that's very Low!! I wonder if he/she the type of person that roll the eyes behind you at the check out line ! seems the type by just asking those questions !

I understand now ive just saw his post in his profile
edit on 15-8-2011 by Wolfenz because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   
You deserve it. Soldiers deserve alot more....

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tnewguy
reply to post by Thurisaz

You have no idea. Once you're our, you're of no use to them. Hell, even when you're in, you're just a number. What makes you think that you'll mean anything more than a number after you are done with your service. Granted, medically wise, I can't complain for myself. It looks like the VA is really trying on that end.

But as far as going to war for your country to fight for another country's freedom (we all know that we are not fighting for us) but that's a whole other thread. Once you are out, you are out. If you had service connected injuries. The VA will help. If you get out and have nothing wrong with you, you just get your GI Bill (if you paid into it), your VA home loan, and a couple years of Exchange and Commissary privilege.

It was tough to accept this part of the whole process.

Once you are injured, you go from a productive and meaninful contributor to your unit to someone who is extra weight.

You are treated differently, even by your friends. In a combat MOS, you're not wanted for your typing WPM. You're not wanted for your ability to use Microsoft Excel. You're wanted to lift, carry, pull, shoot and communicate.

If you don't have that, you are an outcast even among the best of colleagues.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Originally posted by Tnewguy
reply to post by Thurisaz

You have no idea. Once you're our, you're of no use to them. Hell, even when you're in, you're just a number. What makes you think that you'll mean anything more than a number after you are done with your service. Granted, medically wise, I can't complain for myself. It looks like the VA is really trying on that end.

But as far as going to war for your country to fight for another country's freedom (we all know that we are not fighting for us) but that's a whole other thread. Once you are out, you are out. If you had service connected injuries. The VA will help. If you get out and have nothing wrong with you, you just get your GI Bill (if you paid into it), your VA home loan, and a couple years of Exchange and Commissary privilege.

It was tough to accept this part of the whole process.

Once you are injured, you go from a productive and meaninful contributor to your unit to someone who is extra weight.

You are treated differently, even by your friends. In a combat MOS, you're not wanted for your typing WPM. You're not wanted for your ability to use Microsoft Excel. You're wanted to lift, carry, pull, shoot and communicate.

If you don't have that, you are an outcast even among the best of colleagues.

You hit the nail right on its head. That exactly how it is. Once you get a permanent profile it even affects your pride and self esteem as you can't do what you're used to doing and can't anymore.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
One question: how did you develop the liver problems?

I couldn't personally care less how you spend your food stamps. If you want to squander it, that's your business.

/TOA

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
One question: how did you develop the liver problems?

I couldn't personally care less how you spend your food stamps. If you want to squander it, that's your business.

/TOA

Currently unknown. I've never been a heavy drinker. I had a few stints like after returning from Iraq where I spent a week drunk. I blew out my shoulder in Airborne and drank the pain away for a week or two.

Personally I believe it was the Tylenol / Ibuprophen / Anti-Inflammatory's (covered up the problem until I got off of them and it was too late, because "Liver Disease" is really just inflammation and damage to the liver), Psych Meds that were hard on the liver and a slew of other medicines they had me on. They will never admit it even if it was true.

Currently the dianosis is "Non Alcoholic Liver Disease, Cirrhosis Moderate Stage", or something to that effect.
edit on 2011/8/15 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by hadriana I'm not a Christian. I don't want to go to a church for 'food.' I want to take care of my SELF and my OWN.

And a real by the book Christian wants you to do so as well:

I Timothy 5:3-16

1. If you have destitute in your family, you take care of them--don't burden the church.
2. Those who will not provide for their own, are worse than atheists.
studylight.org...:8&t=nsn&st=1&new=1&sr=1&sc=1&l=en

2 Thessalonians 3:6-15

1. Don't be a lazy bum who eats other people's food while not working.
2. He who refuses to work should not be fed.
studylight.org...:10&t=nsn&st=1&new=1&sr=1&sc=1&l=en

In many church-run charity situations, they are willing to give you some voluntary work in exchange for the help that they give. Some pride is healthy, and most men need to feel like they've earned what they've gotten--they need that confidance when looking for work, without the desperation of not knowing where the next meal is coming from. As it is, most churches are only set up to do temporary help, not take care of you for the rest of your life. And some churches volunteer with helping people in their community find jobs, gain education/skills, help you find grants, et. al. Life is never merely about food.

My personal small church gets together Sunday nights for a simple diner, and anyone who comes in off the street can feel free to eat with us. This is not run like a charity, as we don't see it that way. We eat together to socialize, and we want to get to know those who are willing to come in so often.

Don't get me wrong, some groups look down their nose at you, shoving food at you like you're some sort of leper. This is wrong. When society as a whole does this to people who are in need, it is evil.

But as my parents are quick to point out: everyone needs some help, at some time in their lives, even if it's only for a week. They remember what it is like to wonder where the next meal for their children is coming from, and have help drop in their laps out of nowhere--christian sourced or not. They are not going to deny anyone else the same basic help they recieved.

To get a perspective of how some Christian charities are run:
www.examiner.com... new-home-video

*sigh*
/celebrity-charity-events-in-national/extreme-makeover-home-edition-salt-light-ministry-montgomery-family-received-a-new-home-video
comes after examiner's website url.
edit on 15-8-2011 by CynicalDrivel because: Friggen link system

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
At the very least, he should have medical benefits for himself and his family for life. If you're retired from the Army, can"t you go to any v.a. hospital for medical care?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Do you load those groceries into a Bentley or a Escalade?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThinkingCap

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
your gonna die an early death of colon cancer with that diet anyway... who cares. sounds like you should be planting some veggies in your yard
edit on 14-8-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

not trying to be overly rude, just a vegetarians POV, sorry if it seems rude. Im on SSDI myself with a few of the same things you where diagnosed with. dosnt stop me from buying a 1.5TB HD for 60$ every now and then though...
edit on 14-8-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

Beef and Broccoli - Okay? Don't judge the man because he's got great taste in red meat - with that list of aches and pains, he can eat whatever he wants. Not trying to overly rude but...

Bacon beats Tofu - Every Time

I get heartburn from Bacon sometimes but would still rather have that lol

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

Probably a geo metro yo
edit on 15-8-2011 by LightWarrior11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Im too cheap to pay for bones.So my choice cuts are sirloin.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by BIGPoJo

2000 Crysler Cirrus
1985 Honda Accord

Currently I have an elictrical problem in the Cirrus that means my car believes the door is always ajar, so the interior lights flicker on and off when I'm driving. I have to pull the fuse out or it is undrivable. That also kills the radio and the manual interior lights. The wiper fluid pump is broken. I'm pretty sure I have an issue with my driver side front ball join and don't have the money to fix it so I drive it as little as possible. My radiator is about to go kaput as well. In order to put the window down I have to beat the door panel while push the button and the car is undrivable if the headlights aren't on. If they aren't on the car goes crazy and everything starts flashing. Oh yeah, my check engine light is on.

The Honda battery died on me, and I can't afford a new one. The AC is broken, it's needing a paint job, and the windows don't work properly.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7 >>

join