It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Buy 1lb T-Bone Steaks With My Food Stamp Card

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tnewguy
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Forget about what you buy with your food stamps. My question is why the hell did I ETS when I am currently dealing with 8 or 9 of your medical issues. At least you got a medical retirement. I'm stuck dealing with the VA.

9 months, 2 surgeries later I am still waiting on my initial claim to process.

I called VA a couple of days ago and was basically told to shut up and wait. Because their priorities are all the Vietnam soldiers that THEY screwed over with the Agent Orange claims.

Now my family and I have to take the back seat and shut up and wait for my claim to go through.

Sorry to have hijacked your thread with my issues. Everything just kinda spilled over.

Don't fret, you can still file for any service connected disability for up to five years easily, after that it's a much longer process. You can recieve medical help from the VA for any condition related to service for one year without a VA claim. My initial claim is still being processed as well, and it's been about as long as you. I've had to appeal my decision three times, because of beurocracy, and still haven't gotten the ruling I should have. The VA moves slowly, and I had to live off of savings for over six months. I feel your pain brother, and I thank you for serving.

Don't worry, things will work out. I'm still waiting for everything to work out on my end too.

As for the poster playing devil's advocate:

I am currently learning Adobe Illustrator, Corel Draw, Inkscape, Photoshop and GIMP. I am studying for College and plan to major in Accounting and work toward a job in a certain letter agency. I am maintaining my security clearance which will help. I'm tattooing to make ends meet, but until I get shoulder surgery, it's difficult to do as many as I need to get on my feet.

Until I can get my body working properly through surgeries on my shoulder / back / knee, I need to focus on working out my mental muscles so that I am a once again a productive member of society.

I do not plan on being on disability / food stamps for the rest of my life, and probably not more than 3-4 years. If I can support myself by my own means, I will.

Good luck to the man who served, and thankyou for your service. I hope that the country will help you in your time of need as you did for it.

Edit : The best course of action is to contact your Congressman's office. Many have a Veteran's Affairs Liason for whom you sign a Power of Attourney and they will handle your case for you, much quicker than the VA would normally process it. If there is any foul play, they will act on your behalf, and if you don't like what the VA says they will appeal for you. Some states are better than others, and some VA Claims are faster in other states, cities, districts.

If you require assistance I will be glad to discuss it further in a PM. I spend a lot of time helping veterans in need these days, and I have met a lot of distressed soldiers in a weekly PTSD group I help with. If you need anything let me know.
edit on 2011/8/14 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alxandro
You know, a big part of me wants to say "you are freakon' welcome you sorry S.O.B.", but hopefully you are merely teaching yourself to fish.
Just don't get too comfy and complacent because when the SHTF you and many others like you will be totally helpless.
And don't expect the govt to help you at that time because as far I am concerned you've used up your free bingo square.

I went on food stamps after exhausting my six month storable food supply. So for me, the SHTF about four years ago when I was first injured, and it's been nothing short of a wild ride since.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sprtpilot
So you cannot support a family, yet you keep having kids?

You are a great example of the problem this Country faces, to receive any public assistance, the net-moochers should agree to stop producing children. Failure to comply should result in immediate cessation of all assistance.

Don't like that condition? You are free to have as many children as you want, you are not welcome to continue as and increase your net-mooching.

(slightly) tough love.

My wife became pregnant before I was medically retired. I was told that I would remain in the Army due to my experience in MMA and combatives as a liason to our local fight club. Unfortunately, I couldn't get the necessary waivers to teach with my medical conditions.

I was told that if I didn't get the spot at the fight house, that I would be Medically Reclassed to a non-combat MOS until I was made better or ETS'd.

I begged to stay in, but was retired anyway.

Of course, no need to explain to you!

Good luck in your journey!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   

I quickly scanned the posts to your OP. I didn't notice of you have applied to the VA for disability benefits. Have you? Just wondering. I did that upon being released from the army and don't get food stamps, but I guess that's because I get enough disability payments each month.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Darce
Judge judge judge...
He was incapacitated while serving, he deserves to feed his family meat goshdarnit!

Has anyone else noticed how expensive chicken is getting? 6 boneless breasts for $30 here. It's become unaffordable, Whatever happened to "A chicken in every pot", right?

I have been trying to save by buying less desirable cuts of meat. Have you tried cooking pig's tails? They are cheap, like cottage roll and other less desirable cuts of pork. Sausages are always cheap, and you're right the frozen beef is usually a good idea. My problem is the reduced priced beef is always really old and funky and no matter how I cook it it's like green apples through a horse for me. I'm forced to either buy fresh meat or none at all and that's where it gets too expensive to eat what I would like to.

We are going to have to start supplementing what we normally buy in the grocery stores anyway. I have some vegetable and fruit gardens going right now to do just that. The broccoli is ready and I'm making a stir-fry with some pork strips tonight that were like 15 strips for less than $10. So that will make at least 2 meals for three guys, and it's going to cost less than $15 total with some rice and sauce.

Back in the city you have to expect to spend $10 per person per meal just to eat! A bottle of orange juice is like $8! It's difficult just to make ends meet when you're paying out the nose every day like that.

Next option.. hunting whatever wanders onto the property that looks tasty. Next spring I'm buying chicks!
edit on 14/8/11 by Darce because: (no reason given)

A good $15 roast I can usually get for around $5 that with a few potatoes/carrots/onion/garlic will feed about 16 large servings (So it lasts a few days). When money is tight, I make a large batch of chilli with any meat that is questionable but still reduced since boiling it in some beef stock I save from other dinners gives it high quality flavor. My chilli lasts all year because I freeze about 5 portions of it in a gallon size bag and it usually yields 5-6 bags. One pot of chilli a year goes a long way and it's super flavorful. I tend to go shopping at the end of the week when the specials are and freeze what needs to be consumed that week and plan my meals.

The price of Orange Juice has skyrocetted, but I juice everything myself. Look for good deals on fruits and veggies and get a juicer, you won't regret it! Fruits and vegetables are the few things I don't mind paying 80% of the actual price for.

As far as funky beef, places like Kroger sell meat at a discount as a public service rather than a quick sell mechanism. It's usually got at least five days before it needs to be frozen, but if you're not eating it that day you should always freeze your meat. If you have the time, it's well worth it to freeze it with a marinade and seasoning. The only suggestion is to not use any seasoning that sucks up the moisture like heavy salt because that is best put on right before it hits the grill/stovetop/oven.

Hope that helps!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Honor93

I hope this will increase for you but i am afraid that it seems you are the one targeted in most of the cuts and budget problems will only get worse. But if it makes you feel better you eat better meat than I do.
Check into aquaponics. Here pretty soon, hopefully, I will be eating much better. Good luck to you mate.

edit on 14-8-2011 by eazyriderl_l because: respect

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by njl51
well enjoy..at 60 I'm not supposed to be eating like that and well honestly I don't have a taste for 'em as I would
have when I was young. you may get more bang for your buck so to speak but in the end you can buy less food.
now if you go organic you will really pay for eating good..i mean really good !!! as in good for you..they say a
person needs meat and i agree..question is what is in what we eat now days..be it expensive or processed food?
is the expensive meat better for you than some other product that provides that kind of protein?

I really think that people are misreading my thread! A single steak that most people would eat themselves serves my whole family of four. The rest of our plate is veggies. So if you take a $25 pack of T-Bone Steaks, buy it for less than $10, divide it by three steaks ($3.33 a steak) and split it between four people ($0.84cents a person).

As far as organic. I can't afford it, but we will make a smoothie before buying ice cream.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by kyred

I quickly scanned the posts to your OP. I didn't notice of you have applied to the VA for disability benefits. Have you? Just wondering. I did that upon being released from the army and don't get food stamps, but I guess that's because I get enough disability payments each month.

Claim is still being processed. It will also change because I am being scheduled for surgeries for ailments that weren't claimed.

For example : I recieved 10% for "Left Shoulder Instability", but I have now been told that I have been dealing with a "Left Shoulder SLAP (Labral Tear / Displaced Tissue) and Rotator Cuff Tear" I did a tour in Iraq with the tear so it is covered under the blanket of Service Connected. I was also finally diagnosed with a specific liver condition as opposed to just an anomalous blood test, which will change my numbers as well.

In all reality, I got a very small percentage for the conditions listed, but I grew tired of fighting and just got out. Since getting out I've been learning more about the system and helping soldiers so I should have a better turn around with the VA, from what I've been discussing with them, I'm optimistic. The irony is that I could have fought tooth and nail and it wouldn't have matterd because once the VA takes over, the original Army claim essentially becomes irrelevant.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
i hope they taste as good as steaks purchased with cold hard cash......a mans worth is not in dollars no matter how many times they tell you it is

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
I think you are doing an awesome job OP. As a mother of 3 who suffered from chronic anemia during her pregnancies, I listened to all that bad advice on how red meat is bad for you, to the point where I developed pica. (cravings for non food items such as dirt and paint chips ) I should have listened to my bodies cravings for eggs and steak. I have learned since then, that much of what we are told about diet is utter bull. Every one has different nutritional needs and what is right for one person may not be right for the next. Some people thrive on vegetarian meals and would suffer if they they ate like I do. However I require a high in meat and dairy, average amount of veggies, but can not tolerate grains and I have to limit my fruit intake or stick to fruits low in sugar.

People need to learn to listen to their bodies instead of the one size fits all b.s. that the FDA spits out with their food pyramid. Especially with your wife being pregnant, she should eat what her body tells her to eat.

I have also learned to cook a lot cheaper with the foods that are right for me, than I could have eating the way people seem to think I should eat.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Must be nice to get 500 in EBT...I'm on VA disability, get 1300 a month, and with that, after paying my bills, I MIGHT have about 50.00 for groceries, but guess what? According to social services, I get TOO MUCH to get assistance
Go figure

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:18 PM
link   

You are on food support because you qualify for it. I'm not envious of you and would never want to be in your shoes with all your health issues just to get some free steak. Because in my eyes, it's not "free" as you have earned/paid for it with your disabilities and health issues. Please, eat up!
edit on 14-8-2011 by queenofsheba because: spelling

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
Nothing wrong with that, buddy. Sounds like smart shopping for you and yours, and good use of needed food assistance.

In our house (5 adults), we usually eat about 4-6 ounces of meat each, and it's remarkably affordable because we're not each eating a small mountain of it. Even with sandwiches, we just don't have the taste for huge piles of meat, so we can often spring for even non-sale items. A $10 roast makes a nice dinner, and sandwiches the next day, maybe some hash too, for $2/person (plus other ingredients).

When my hubby and I go out to eat, we love the Texas Roadhouse. Sit at the bar, eat alotta peanuts, split an entree.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
How many retired Army men you know have similar conditions like the ones you describe.? I am worried about the vaccinations effects. Thats some list there. I am in the understanding that you get more shots then a normal human being in the army

a) Liver Disease
b) Cirrosis ( Early Stages )
c) Torn Rotator Cuff ( Left Shoulder )
d) Torn / Displaced Labral Tissue ( SLAP Lesion - Left Shoulder )
e) Degenerative Joint Disease
f) Spondylilothesis in Lumbar Vertabrae
g) Arthritis Left Shoulder / Spine / Knee / Right Hand
h) Bilateral Pattelleofemoral Knee Condition
i) Traumatic Brain Injury
j) PTSD
k) Major Depression
l) Insomnia
m) Sleep Apnea
o) Tinnitus
p) Recurring Debilitating Headaches

Wish you the best. I hope that you can have a life soon without these BS worries like money.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomerinNC
Must be nice to get 500 in EBT...I'm on VA disability, get 1300 a month, and with that, after paying my bills, I MIGHT have about 50.00 for groceries, but guess what? According to social services, I get TOO MUCH to get assistance
Go figure

Let's just say, I feel your pain, but I also recieve about half that. The Army disability doesn't pay like the VA. The Army rates you on things that disqualify you from performing your duties in your MOS or any other MOS, while the VA rates you on what disabilities were incurred in the line of duty that limit your ability to work outside the military.

Needless to say, if it qualifies for the VA, it doesn't always mean it qualifies for the Army or any other branch.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

All I can say is "thank you for your service to our country". I certainly think this is what my hard earned overly tax dollars should go for---Not for people who have given nothing and think they deserve everything handed to them on a platter.

Again Thanks for your sacrifice!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 03:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
How many retired Army men you know have similar conditions like the ones you describe.? I am worried about the vaccinations effects. Thats some list there. I am in the understanding that you get more shots then a normal human being in the army

Well, when I was medically retiring I ran into nothing but people like me. In the grand scheme of things, I'm the minority. I count myself lucky to be alive on multiple occasions. A quick look into my media profile shows you my old headgear wit ha bullet hole through it.

As far as vaccinations go, I've recieved the Anthrax Series, Flu Shots sometimes 5 times in a row due to faulty paperwork practices, and all kinds of other shots I just never bothered to care about or remember. The reality is, once I started asking what was in it, I got scared of the answers.

The military has the authority to test compounds and vaccines on the soldier with his consent. I was never asked for consent. I asked what was in the needle, and the medic (compartmentalization) had no idea. That's your consent. If you don't take it, you can't deploy. If you don't deploy, you're going to get court martialed for missing movement. That's just one way to shut you up. It's not the only way.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Having sacrificed so much for your country, how does it feel to be hated by Republicans and tea party members because of your entitlement program participation?

I salute you sir and your family.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry
My morning conists of juicing :

☼ Kale
☼ Orange
☼ Apple
☼ Plum
☼ Apricot or Peach
☼ Lemon
☼ Pomegranate
☼ Grapes
☼ Kiwi
☼ Strawberry
☼ Pear
☼ Carrot
☼ Pineapple
☼ Tomato

I pick about four or five from that list, and throw it in with kale for my morning juice. The kids drink it with me and love it. No sugar added.

For lunch we usually do something healthy involving some greens.

edit on 2011/8/14 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

Yum, and good on you. I have no problem with smart shoppers....

However, as a 'Kiwi' could you please either call them 'Kiwifruit', 'Chinese gooseberries' or 'Zespri' (lol) as Kiwi are either the flightless native bird of New Zealand, or the Human residentsa....so if you're juicing Kiwi (no 's' in the Maori language hence te kiwi: singular, or nga kiwi: plural) you're getting extra protein!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

If you are on the level you are going to get in trouble. What you are proposing to do is illegal.

ps.... May I advise no more kids after this one. Gonna be expensive enough with the ones you already have.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join