It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Buy 1lb T-Bone Steaks With My Food Stamp Card

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:00 AM
link   
☼ I am currently on $500 Food Stamp assistance.
☼ I have two kids and another about to be born.
☼ I have a wife who is out of work due to pregnancy complications.
☼ I was medically retired from the US Army for

a) Liver Disease
b) Cirrosis ( Early Stages )
c) Torn Rotator Cuff ( Left Shoulder )
d) Torn / Displaced Labral Tissue ( SLAP Lesion - Left Shoulder )
e) Degenerative Joint Disease
f) Spondylilothesis in Lumbar Vertabrae
g) Arthritis Left Shoulder / Spine / Knee / Right Hand
h) Bilateral Pattelleofemoral Knee Condition
i) Traumatic Brain Injury
j) PTSD
k) Major Depression
l) Insomnia
m) Sleep Apnea
o) Tinnitus
p) Recurring Debilitating Headaches

I enjoy purchasing with my Food Stamps

☼ T-Bone Steaks
☼ Angus Hamburger Meat
☼ Sirloin Steaks
☼ Ribeye Steaks
☼ New York Strip Steaks
☼ Brisquette
☼ Baby Back Ribs
☼ Roast

Without an ounce of shame or regret for purchasing these things.

I would like to take some time to inform the readers on ATS that these items are purchased with your tax dollars to feed my family. I am thankful for the support and the support for my family. Without it we would be homeless, though we are already sharing a house with my inlaws because we could no longer afford our house after taking a 66% pay cut medically retiring.

I purchase these items very carefully, and if any other Food Stamp users are looking for the same quality dinner menu, at rock bottom prices, I will be glad to help you figure out the best way to bargain shop.

The real key to eating better than I really ever had before is the desire to save money. It started when I made more price conscious choices after having to request Food Stamp Assistance. I would buy the tube of ground beef, the worst cuts of beef, pork, and poultry. I would buy my vegetables frozen or canned. I would buy the store brand products instead of name brand, and so on.

I crossed a drop freezer with some T-Bone Steaks and did a quick price comparison.

The Average Prices

☼ T-Bone Steak - $6.99 / lb
☼ Ground Beef (Tube) - $2.00 / lb
☼ T-Bone Steak (Reduced) - $3.00 / lb

Sure, it's one dollar more a pound, but I've also purchased a three pack of 1lb T-Bones for as little as $5.00 on rare occasion. I will not buy anything of quality with less than a 50% discount. I figure it will even out, and I really don't even care if it did to be honest.

You might ask why I would even bother with these red cuts of meat so much, and the answer would be that my wife is Anemic, and her medicine costs far less than a reduced price steak. Why take Iron pills when you could just change your diet? Well, it worked. My wife failed to take her pills as I predicted, and still her iron counts were back up after two weeks of eating more red meat.

I feel a little obligated to post something like this when the person checking me out questions my purchases snidely. I also grow tired of having to confront people in line who see my items and then scoff at the Food Stamp card come out of the wallet. I'm sure they're nicer than they would like to be seeing as I'm obviously disabled ( the cane gives it away most of the time ) but that doesn't always stop someone from making a comment or copping an attitude.

Remember, some people who are using the program are in need. It is also possible to buy high quality food at a super low price. Don't hate someone eating well and still spending less.

Be well.

My last visit to the store was

☼ $120 - Cost in Food Stamps
☼ $15 - Cost in Cash
☼ $90 - Savings in Cupons
☼ $45 - Savings in Meat Price
☼ Total - $270
☼ Total Paid - $135
☼ Total Savings - $135

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
dosnt sound too healthy... who cares. sounds like you should be planting some veggies in your yard
edit on 14-8-2011 by gougitousakusha because: manners and decorum

not trying to be overly rude, just a vegetarians POV, sorry if it seems rude. Im on SSDI myself with a few of the same things you where diagnosed with. dosnt stop me from buying a 1.5TB HD for 60$ every now and then though...
edit on 14-8-2011 by gougitousakusha because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:04 AM
link   
Don't hate the man because he knows how to shop.

S+F .... smart move there with the iron too.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
That was lovely. I am not sure why you felt the need to seek our approval, 'cause the truth is... you don't need anyone's. I don't care what you purchase with your stamps so long as you are not abusing them or the system. There's nothing worse than a welfare queen stealing tax dollars.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:07 AM
link   
My morning conists of juicing :

☼ Kale
☼ Orange
☼ Apple
☼ Plum
☼ Apricot or Peach
☼ Lemon
☼ Pomegranate
☼ Grapes
☼ Kiwi
☼ Strawberry
☼ Pear
☼ Carrot
☼ Pineapple
☼ Tomato

I pick about four or five from that list, and throw it in with kale for my morning juice. The kids drink it with me and love it. No sugar added.

For lunch we usually do something healthy involving some greens.

edit on 2011/8/14 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by gougitousakusha
your gonna die an early death of colon cancer with that diet anyway... who cares. sounds like you should be planting some veggies in your yard

I didn't read anywhere that he doesn't eat vegetables...?

And doesn't everyone die of some type of cancer anyway? Well mostly everyone

Why not eat what you want...could get hit by a car tomorrow anyway and you will sure wish you ate that steak!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:10 AM
link   
Try liver for anemia.
It's better. More iron.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:11 AM
link   

Originally posted by ForeverDusk
That was lovely. I am not sure why you felt the need to seek our approval, 'cause the truth is... you don't need anyone's. I don't care what you purchase with your stamps so long as you are not abusing them or the system. There's nothing worse than a welfare queen stealing tax dollars.

I've run into people who were in the Army on food stamps. They sold them for cigarettes and alcohol. I purchased them on some occasions because I was feeding those parents kids two to three times a week for dinner, and almost every day for lunch. I was wrong for not reporting them, but I also grew to assume that the majority of persons recieving food stamps were scammers at best.

Now that I have seen both perspectives, I thought I would share my experience, I'm not here to be judged,

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:13 AM
link   
reply to post by sbctinfantry

I'd have to say your situation sounds like exactly what the Food Stamp program was originally designed to serve. You describe yourself as a man who has served the nation, although working is just as valid, and now out of all of it through no fault of your own and a family to support.

Yeah, whatever others may say, you sound like the exact type of case the program was made for. Don't feel bad and eat well! At least you care about using your food stamps wisely as if it were your own hard earned cash. You make it clear you do care....and that means a lot in a world where everyone is take take without a second thought.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:16 AM
link   
stupid world we live in

retired from the army.....firstly u should have all medical and benefits paid by the goverment u work for,you should be at the very least living comfortably,you and your family,...............in saying that all that meat cant be doing any good,veggies and fruits(the non gm type)have worked for us humans for many generations...gl bro

peace

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:18 AM
link   

your gonna die an early death of colon cancer with that diet anyway... who cares. sounds like you should be planting some veggies in your yard

not trying to be overly rude, just a vegetarians POV, sorry if it seems rude. Im on SSDI myself with a few of the same things you where diagnosed with. dosnt stop me from buying a 1.5TB HD for 60$ every now and then though...

Beef and Broccoli - Okay? Don't judge the man because he's got great taste in red meat - with that list of aches and pains, he can eat whatever he wants. Not trying to overly rude but...

Bacon beats Tofu - Every Time

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ThinkingCap

i LOOOVE my multivitamins with iron, soo much energy from them its the b-12. i compare fried tofu to chicken more then bacon tofu isnt that great for men..again im sorry its just an auto vegetarian response when seeing a robust list of meats. i always believed one piece of meat a week was recommended for meat eaters.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:23 AM
link   

My son hardly eats the meats. One T-Bone feeds 3-4 people, and we serve at least three vegetables a night.

Steamed

☼ Broccoli
☼ Cauliflower
☼ Asparagus

Grilled

☼ Aparagus
☼ Corn on the Cob
☼ Stuffed Jalapeno

Boiled

☼ Carrots
☼ Green Beans
☼ Cabbage

Baked

☼ Stuffed Bell Pepper
☼ Potato Au Gratin
☼ Baked Potato

To name a few kinds / preparations.

The struggle with my kids is to get them to eat the meat, not the veggies!

My children also favor "Fruitables" over any other Juice. It has about 8g of sugar compared to the 28g usually found in childrens juices.

Candy is a once or twice a year treat in our house, and my childrens bodies are so pure of it I can't keep up with them after once piece of chocolate!

They consume zero caffiene, aspartame, canned vegetables or fruit.

What is the best part? They do it happily and will turn their noses up to processed, refined and prepared food product.

My house always smells better than a Hot Pocket or TV Dinner.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
More power to your elbow sir, may I suggest garden peas for iron? sorry to read of your conditions, I have a son with an inoperable cyst on his lower spine, so I know a bit of what you are going through.
Best of luck to you and your family.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   
thanks for sharing and good for you.
your shopping prowess leads me to wonder why you haven't adapted your diet better?

others mentioned liver and 'juicing' and i highly recommend both for you And your wife.
She has many other options over red meat.
You, well, after reading your list of ailments, you need a juice diet like yesterday.

if you are not familiar please ask.
there is no better nutrient source for you than nature's nectar.
a small tweak in your meat stock and you'll be amazed at how much healthier you both are and how much farther that $500 goes.

ps: since you did mention a 'grocery store', i suggest checking with your local butcher.
i did and got much better meats (cuts & quality), more quantity on the dollar and often meat bonuses for spreading the word.
If you are in my area (not likely but), my butcher may even deliver to you.
He does for about a 10mile radius and food stamp holders can now 'sign-off' for the order much like a credit card.

add: sir, the juicing i'm talking about doesn't come in any box or bottle or from any store.
(at least in the US) -- every youngster who juices with me Loves it, the whole process of it.
you acquire the fruit, veges and obtain a mechanical juicer (many to choose from) and i'd be happy to send ya over 700 different recipes. some even specifically targeting your ailments. with all the recipes available, you wouldn't have to drink the same concoction twice in 18 months. (unless you want to)

convincing authority for me was Jay Kordich, known as the "Juiceman" and his brand juicer ... but not so many people know or understand why. He was diagnosed with cancer and accidentally discovered the wonders of nature on his path to recovery. (also added 30+ years and counting to his personal 'clock')
check it out for yourself and feel free to get back to me if you have any questions

JKordich
edit on 14-8-2011 by Honor93 because: add txt

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:31 AM
link   

Way to go. S&F.
Is there a place nearby that you can take your kids fishing?
A good day out, and a extra meal if you are lucky

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:33 AM
link   

reply to post by ThinkingCap

i LOOOVE my multivitamins with iron, soo much energy from them its the b-12. i compare fried tofu to chicken more then bacon tofu isnt that great for men..again im sorry its just an auto vegetarian response when seeing a robust list of meats. i always believed one piece of meat a week was recommended for meat eaters.

I take

☼ Milk Thistle
☼ Vitamin E
☼ Vitamin B12

Vitamin B12 makes my urine strong, orange tinted, and reaks of B12.

It's unpleasant to say the least.

But, in order to put things into perspective, I spend more money on vegetables / fruit than meat. Probably 3x the amount.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93
others mentioned liver and 'juicing' and i highly recommend both for you And your wife.
She has many other options over red meat.
You, well, after reading your list of ailments, you need a juice diet like yesterday.

I am the one who mentioned Juicing, and if I can get her to eat the liver I'll start buying it. Looks like I'll be making liver this week, if it's on sale, that is.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by CitizenNum287119327

Way to go. S&F.
Is there a place nearby that you can take your kids fishing?
A good day out, and a extra meal if you are lucky

I wouldn't feed them aquatic life from the Gulf of Mexico. Too many chemicals. We do fish though, and a friend of mine has a small boat, though we usually just fish on a dock not too far from the house. The kids love it.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   

oooops, ok, missed that ... so, if you're familiar and want / need some recipes, do ask.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join