It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I Buy 1lb T-Bone Steaks With My Food Stamp Card

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:47 PM
link   
nice post! Dont listen to the veggies on here, lol! Not every one can sustain themselves on a vegetarian diet. They seem to fail to realize that not every body is the same. I suffer from multiple health issues too, and while I have tried iron pills for deficiency, they produced no results, while two red meat meals a week - cooked medium rare! - makes me feel better. I think it is the IBS, that I dont absorb iron from pills as easily as from real food. Also, as much as i enjoy veggies, they dont always agree with me, raw veggies are hard on my stomach, spinach will near kill me, but i have a few regulars as part of my diet that i east. but who can afford to eat veggies every meal or even everyday? Not I! Even buying them reduced canned and frozen, i still have to portion them out sparingly.
I completely understand your desire to be more understood. I am lucky not to need a cane - yet - but some days i wish that my illnesses had a more outward appearance, as no one understands why i am the way i am. A trip to the grocery store some days can be more than i can handle, and when the toddlers start acting up at the checkout and it is all i can do to not cry from the overwhelmingness of it, i just know people are staring at me and wondering why i am letting my kids cry or act out - after all, i look perfectly normal on the outside. I wish i could go out with a sign on me that says "caution: this mom is ill", lol.
i think you are doing a great job with what you have been dealt, keep it up, and i am happy you shared!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
reply to post by hillynilly

Get all upset and throw a fit why don't you.

This government aid crap is whats destroying this country.
edit on 14-8-2011 by Anoynymoose because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 10:44 PM
link   
You know that cows have faces right? Haha, just kidding. Well, they do, but...ya. Whenever offering my opinion on something similar to what you describe, such as spending on hobbies, etc, I have the same answer: As long as you are not neglecting something more important, I say do whatever you want. But then again, even if someone was doing that, it may be wrong but who is in the position to tell someone else what is right or wrong? So ya, I don't have a problem with this. Also, all I could think to offer to this thread was my opinion.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by ateuprto
reply to post by sbctinfantry

Good, men who have served their country well and are now suffering the consequences of said service DESERVE government assistance and to buy whatever the hell they please with said assistance. Here's to the best recovery possible for you and your wife, brother. The only part about this whole situation that would bother me is if you cook those t-bones anywhere past medium.

Take care man, best of luck to you and yours.
edit on 14-8-2011 by ateuprto because: (no reason given)

This is excellent, true as as a liberal democrat I really wish more people thought like you do. Unfortunately they do not and this man is one of the lucky ones. Others who have walked in his same military issue boots and gone to fight for our country have come back so mentally, damaged they cannot function and provide for themselves. Even he now is at his wits end and what ever we ARE doing to provide for these wounded warriors - it is not enough.

They are in and out of homeless shelters and wandering our streets. Finally recently there is some organized effort to locate these men and women and get them the help they need, to provide the thanks they deserve. There are those who think they are a burden on the system and they want to skimp now on providing for these men and woman but I will make sure I do everything to support their efforts including vote for the party I think will best follow up on and care for our troops both at home and abroad.

I already give this man more than just permission to eat what he wants, when he wants, however he might like to cook it. And I fight so that he will always have it.

I am Constitutionally ready and proud to contribute what ever little I make back to the system so that this man and his wife and children are provided for, educated and always have a health care plan at least as good as the frightened and fat, bloated, elite war mongers serving us in Washington do.

I will even make sure he is helped if he has a brain injury and treated for all his issues and the PTSD that certainly accompanies all these other issues.

Were it up to me he would be healthy and whole and never would have gone to fight a war for other peoples freedom or oil in the first place and I would like to lessen the need, and up the requirements, for any others to follow in his footsteps.

I would NEVER stoop to calling this public assistance COMMUNISM or a NANNY STATE.

edit on 14-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I knew this thread would draw criticism, it's a tough topic these days with the economy. I do want the people who have said I need to get off my behind and get a job to hear the truth, however, even if it doesn't matter that much to them.

I have been a physical workhorse most of my life, and was working three jobs before I joined the military. In the military, my first MOS was 18X, and my last MOS was 11B1P. I never joined to just join, I strived to be the best from the minute I signed up.

I had a lot of struggles in the military, and overcame many obstacles both physical and mental. The bar kept going higher and higher.

I'm still raising the bar every day. I was told I would have difficulty walking for the rest of my life, and that a cane would be the best I could hope for. I just got off that cane a few weeks ago. A trip to the grocery store means I'm icing my body down for a few hours. It's not an easy thing to accept, but I've had to.

I earned an Expert Infantry Badge for completing many physical and mental tasks such as completing a 12-mile tactical foot march with full combat load in under three hours.

If I'm on my feet for three hours nowadays mowing a lawn, cooking, cleaning, I'm probably going to be laid up for a day or more. My knee will swell up to the size of a grapefruit, my back will sieze up, and I may end up in the hospital because due to my liver condition I can't take OTC painkillers or prescription.

I really can't describe what traumatic brain injury is like in it's entirety because it's different for everyone. I forget large portions of my childhood and past now. I can remember a certain place or maybe a person, but not when it was or what I was doing. Everything is fragmented. My reality is a little fragmented. I lose track of days, hours, sometimes weeks. I can't remember where I was going, or what I was doing. My wife has to remind me of small things.

Ask yourself if an employee is worth much when they are losing their train of thought every five minutes.

I write things down a lot more, but it's time consuming and inefficient. It makes me unhirable, and while I was living off of my savings I was actively looking for work. I applied for college but was unable to handle the crowd. I have worked out a plan with my career counselor and I am currently studying my curriculum so that I will be better prepared before I enter the classroom in case I have trouble with the crowds and need to excuse myself.

Disability is hard. It's not just hard to get around and accomplish tasks, it's hard to accept. It's hard to live a happy life. It's not laziness, or a lack of motivation. It's a limitation, and I have real goals for after my body is patched up. As I have already said, I do not plan on being this way forever. I am working toward a better life, and one that doesn't involve food stamps or any assistance for that matter.

I am merely authoring this thread to explain how I have felt about being on food stamps. I did not accept it immediately, I had to swallow my pride after my safety net failed. I had a six month food supply that I exhausted after eight. I had a decent savings for a man of my age and it was exhausted with unexpected expenses leaving the military, awaiting a decision from the Medical Board, and I ended up losing everything including my house. I am very lucky that my car was paid off last year. Even still I am trying to stay motivated even though I have been so distressed I contemplated suicide.

You may not understand it, but there are people like me who are ready to give up. There are people who are ashamed. There are people who are scared and losing everything.

I lost it due to my disability. Some people are getting laid off and can't find work. Others are thrown into horrible situations with family illness and death.

The system needs fixing, but if your safety net fails and you find yourself in this position, stay smart and you will find that all of life is a blessing even if it may be in disguise.

I also want to point out that this internet is an employee gratuity, and I am not blowing my fixed income to tell this story. Just in case anyone tried to play that angle!

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant
This is excellent, true as as a liberal democrat I really wish more people thought like you do. Unfortunately they do not and this man is one of the lucky ones. Others who have walked in his same military issue boots and gone to fight for our country have come back so mentally, damaged they cannot function and provide for themselves. They are in and out of homeless shelters and wandering our streets. Finally recently there is some organized effort to locate these men and women and get them the help they need, to provide the thanks they deserve.

I already give this man more than just permission to eat what he wants, when he wants, however he might like to cook it. And I fight so that he will always have it.

I am Constitutionally ready and proud to contribute what ever little I make back to the system so that this man and his wife and children are provided for, educated and always have a health care plan at least as good as the frightened and fat, bloated, elite war mongers serving us in Washington do.

I will even make sure he is helped if he has a brain injury and treated for all his issues and the PTSD that certainly accompanies all these other issues.

Were it up to me he would be healthy and whole and never would have gone to fight a war for other peoples freedom or oil in the first place and I would like to lessen the need, and up the requirements, for any others to follow in his footsteps.

I would NEVER stoop to calling this public assistance communism or a nanny state.

edit on 14-8-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

Those are very kind words.

I shared an apartment with a soldier who was going through mental issues that I could not even begin to imagine. He was drinking and I didn't find out until it got violent. He would scream for a child that wasn't there, and said that he lost his wife and child in a car wreck. He was never married. It was very sad because he was convinced. He had met a woman and she left him and he found she had a child. He had been to Iraq and Afghanistan a total of six times, and was mentally unfit to go again, as well as reaching the limit for the number of tours he could do. He lost it.

When I initially caught him drinking, he would drink one "211" (The really bad beers that got banned). What I didn't know is that he was pounding two or three before he came home with the beer so as to not allude to a larger abuse problem.

His attitude started to change to laughs about going around the neighborhood and beating up the gangsters. He was never really violent so I thought it was all jokes as I never saw anyone beat up or the cops. He would laugh when I questioned him, like it was a joke.

Then the cops came to the door.

They were looking for him, and like any good American I told them I had no idea where he was when they refused to tell me why they wanted to talk to him. They said it wasn't a big deal so I felt like I should talk to him before he did something stupid and ended up in jail for losing it on a cop because he might have been drunk when I located him.

After he put a hole in my wall one night and nearly killed my friend, something had to change. The reality sunk in when I had his neck in my arms after I had to choke him to unconciousness so he didn't kill my friend. After that we were very cautious about what was said to and around him. My friend was scared for his life and I started making the necessary phone calls.

We thought we were doing the right thing, and we were.

He was comitte to Bremerton Naval Hospital's Psych Ward. If you're been around it, you know that it's for the real wackos. Keep in mind, this is an Army soldier, with the largest Army hospital on the West Coast. They still sent him past another hospital on a USAF base and to a Naval hospital. That's saying a lot.

After all was aid and done, and I repaired the damages he had done out of my own pocket to our apartment. I had pay the damages to the apartment because he was unavailable, out of my own pocket. Thankfully I didn't have to close his lease out due to the Soldier Sailor Relief Act.

He never forgave me for sending him to the hospital. He still won't talk to me even though he's sober. Part of it, I know, is shame. I hope one day he will talk to me, because he is my brother and I will always love him.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I was ready to be mad at this thread for two reasons. The first that I did not know the extent of your ailments, the second that I thought you had another child even though you were not working. And that's why I actually read more than the first page, you cleared those up.

I've got no problem with what you are doing and I truly wish you and your family the best. I'm also impressed that you are learning new skills to get off the food stamps.

Good luck and keep staying positive.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Honor93

oooops, ok, missed that ... so, if you're familiar and want / need some recipes, do ask.

I will try anything, but as far as juice goes. I'm usually just happy to throw whatever looks good into the juicer. I'm not a huge fan of the taste of Kale/Tomato but I'll drink it anyway because it's healthy.

Whatever you suggest I will try, be assured. I'm always open to new things.

posted on Aug, 14 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   
Buying T-Bone steaks with food stamps really isn't issue. Its when you sell your food stamps for cash so you can go buy some dope that I have a problem with.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:11 AM
link   

There are no words adequate to express my sorrow for your friend and what you have already had to endure. In time I am sure he will understand you did the only thing you could and in making that hard decision you probably saved his life. I appreciate your service to our country and hope things turn around for you quickly. Keep strong for your family. I would like to say God Bless you but if you are an atheist this might offend and that is the last thing I wish to do. You get the idea though. Peace bro. You deserve it.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by newcovenant

There are no words adequate to express my sorrow for your friend and what you have already had to endure. In time I am sure he will understand you did the only thing you could and in making that hard decision you probably saved his life. I appreciate your service to our country and hope things turn around for you quickly. Keep strong for your family. I would like to say God Bless you but if you are an atheist this might offend and that is the last thing I wish to do. You get the idea though. Peace bro. You deserve it.

God bless. Even if I were an atheist, I could still appreciate kind words. To be honest, my dogtags were labeled Atheist, but my views have changed since. I didn't find God though, I haven't finished yet.

edit on 2011/8/15 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
Eat well my friend. I have no problem busting my rump so people like you can have a good meal.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:19 AM
link   

thank you and glad to hear it ... some of the recipes don't 'appear' good mixes on paper ... please try it before you deny it.

Kale/tomato is a rough blend and a bit of lemon & ginger would help, however, one of my favs (a bit strong but effective) is called "better red than dead" and here's the ingredients: 1 beet (including top), 1/2 med sized sweet potato, 3 carrots ... juice the beet first, then the yam followed by the carrots.

BRTD is a good 'fall' blend (most ingredients ripe & available) but also great in the summer sun cause the carotenes are deposited in the skin where they will protect against sunburn.

a favorite daily juice includes: 3 apples, 2/4 carrots, handful of parsley & ginger.
"Iron Plus" recipe: 1 beet (with top), 2 kale leaves, 1/2 cup broccoli florets (w stems), 4 carrots, 1 apple.
*** alternate ingredients while juicing

the best thing i found over years of juicing is the enjoyment of creating something new, every day. the health benefits are undeniable, but the aspect of 'creativity' really keeps my interest.

good luck to ya ... please respond via U2U if you'd like more ... i am skittish about posting recipes by name because they do appear in copyright materials. BUT, i own mine, i should be allowed to share, just not wanting to get ATS in any kind of trouble. be well and have fun

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by sbctinfantry

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours
How many retired Army men you know have similar conditions like the ones you describe.? I am worried about the vaccinations effects. Thats some list there. I am in the understanding that you get more shots then a normal human being in the army

Well, when I was medically retiring I ran into nothing but people like me. In the grand scheme of things, I'm the minority. I count myself lucky to be alive on multiple occasions. A quick look into my media profile shows you my old headgear wit ha bullet hole through it.

As far as vaccinations go, I've recieved the Anthrax Series, Flu Shots sometimes 5 times in a row due to faulty paperwork practices, and all kinds of other shots I just never bothered to care about or remember. The reality is, once I started asking what was in it, I got scared of the answers.

The military has the authority to test compounds and vaccines on the soldier with his consent. I was never asked for consent. I asked what was in the needle, and the medic (compartmentalization) had no idea. That's your consent. If you don't take it, you can't deploy. If you don't deploy, you're going to get court martialed for missing movement. That's just one way to shut you up. It's not the only way.

I feel you man!!!
I had to do the Anthrax Series twice and I don't mean two shots, I mean all twelve. Even though I had already deployed and they knew that I couldn't deploy the first time without it. Almost had small pox twice but I really fought that one. As for flu shots? I never even bother to fight those.

From your list I am currently dealing with the following.

c) Torn Rotator Cuff ( Left Shoulder ) d) Torn / Displaced Labral Tissue ( SLAP Lesion -Left Shoulder ) e) Degenerative Joint Disease, Arthritis Left Shoulder / Knee h) Bilateral Pattelleofemoral Knee Condition i) Traumatic Brain Injury j) PTSD k) Major Depression l) Insomnia m) Sleep Apnea o) Tinnitus p) Recurring Debilitating Headaches.

They already tried to "fix" my shoulder and my knee thru surgeries. Even gave them the xray of the hardware to prove it.

I feel really let down by them. I gave the Army 14 good years, three of them in the sandbox. Now that I'm out, I just feel so worthless. Like those years don't count for anything.

It's all just a race against time for me with these guys (VA)

Good luck!!!
edit on 15-8-2011 by Tnewguy because: (no reason given)

edit on 15-8-2011 by Tnewguy because: Spelling

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by Smurfwicked
Buying T-Bone steaks with food stamps really isn't issue. Its when you sell your food stamps for cash so you can go buy some dope that I have a problem with.

completely agree and would like to add this all too common occurrence ...
not long ago, i was assisting a young lady with a small business start-up ... history: 30something single female with 2 children under age 10 - 1st business adventure - small retail shop.

all began well enough but then little by little the truth emerged ... here's a fuller picture:
business start-up is practically handed to her -- no rent, no utility responsibility, one employee = minimal overhead ... single mom buys home in expensive, gated, HOA community at bargain price ($200,000 - considering the housing failure) ... soooo, what does she do?

first, she knowing sells an illegal substance right out of the store
(bath salts banned in this state) *** i discovered the truth but until then i was told they were a legal chemical composition.
next, she fudges the sales records (removes sales over a 3 month period) and applies for food stamps ... of course, she gets approved.
when her employee is injured in an auto accident, she fires her.
she does not report her employER status to the state and pays nothing toward tax or employee benefits. payroll is provided in cash so no reporting there either.
yes, she does report sales tax ... for those sales on record (but that's barely 1/2 of total sales)

then, she actually has the nerve to condemn others who receive assistance legitimately ... this chic has got sooooome nerve, no guts and no glory but a lot of nerve. (she's not a Vet either)

well, knowing what i know about this business owner doesn't mean i can 'prove' it.
~~ i might be able to prove she accepted delivery of an illegal substance ~~ but i'm not sure
all store product is made in China and sold to undercut every local competitor.
basically, she is 'ripping off' everyone ... from her customers (dope sales) to the taxman to her employee to the next guy playing by the rules.
So, here's my question to all ... how does one even approach addressing/rectifying the situation ??

sure, i can turn a blind eye and go my merry way but what does that say to the next one and the one after that and so on and so forth ... why should i stand by and allow her to knowingly rape the system?

i have never condemned anyone for needing help -- and if she had been approved legitimately, i wouldn't be discussing it now but that is not the case ... however, i bring it up because the problem lies at the beginning of the chain, much more often, than later when the stamps are traded at the street level.
any advice?

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   

food stamps??

don't you receive a returned service pension or something like that?

what about disability pension?

no money... just food stamps???

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thurisaz

food stamps??

don't you receive a returned service pension or something like that?

what about disability pension?

no money... just food stamps???

As I said before, I'm on Army Medical Retirement. I was rated for the ailments that most make me unfit for duty. What has been rated is my shoulder, incorrectly. It was listed as "Left Shoulder Instability" which is a far cry from a SLAP Lesion and Rotator tear.

My liver disease isn't rated yet, only diagnosed.

My back condition is diagnosed, not rated for disability.

The list goes on and on.

The point being, that while you're waiting for the VA, you can appeal 100 times, but it's a six month process or more each time. It's kind of a moot point because I've already done it three times, which is three too many.

Once the VA makes it's decision, my medical retirement will be on the books only, and I will no longer recieve benefits from the US Army.

The VA will pick up the tab from that point forward until I can get to a point where my mind can do the work my body once did to earn money.

So, all in all, I make very little but am not willing to discuss the amount publicly. Let's just say I couldn't even make my house note.

The other side is, that I don't qualify for unemploment. Go figure

I had to apply for food stamps more than once before being approved.
When I was finally approved, I was just getting ready to move out of my house I could no longer afford.
I applied for TANF, renters assistance, and many other programs specifically designed for my situation but was turned down because there was no funding, also known as "not taking applicants".
edit on 2011/8/15 by sbctinfantry because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:18 AM
link   

FARRRRK... sorry to swear in a politely spelt manner...but that is absolutely appalling.

Your Gov sends you to war and you don't get a pension or there are all these conditions??? omg ... if you get your medical bills paid, you don't get a benefit???

You should be granted a benefit the moment you left the army.

I have to finish work now...but I will come back and make a meaniful contribution to your thread... I am a little shocked by reading how you live and what you have to live on.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Thurisaz

You have no idea. Once you're our, you're of no use to them. Hell, even when you're in, you're just a number. What makes you think that you'll mean anything more than a number after you are done with your service. Granted, medically wise, I can't complain for myself. It looks like the VA is really trying on that end.

But as far as going to war for your country to fight for another country's freedom (we all know that we are not fighting for us) but that's a whole other thread. Once you are out, you are out. If you had service connected injuries. The VA will help. If you get out and have nothing wrong with you, you just get your GI Bill (if you paid into it), your VA home loan, and a couple years of Exchange and Commissary privilege.

posted on Aug, 15 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
Double post

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7 >>

join