It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of rifle should I buy my wife to help me defend the homefront when shtf?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
For home protection nothing beats a short barreled 12 gauge shotgun, pistol grip optional, just point and shoot, can't miss, also the loud bang and muzzle flash is enough for any intruder to crap his britches and scram. Perfect for a female homeowner. It demands attention and screams authorita.

They are powerful,loud and abusive.
I wouldn'trecommenda pistol grip( they can be painful on a12 ga). Leave the butt stock alone. It's a common claim you just can't miss with a shotgun";don't have to aim it". .But it is possible to"miss" at across the living room distance with buckshot.you do still have to(at least) point it at "the center of mass". The flying shot column (9 .33 cal OO pellets)
needs distance to open up beyond" fist sized"

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Campy61

Originally posted by Ben81
Buy a black BB pistol
that should scare off anyone approaching you

mine really look like a powerfull magnum

but its not lol
edit on 8/12/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Who wants to bring a bb gun to a who know what fight? and besides that she would not be very happy after I just dropped about a grand on a new AR for me and all she got was a bb gun.

Well .. living in Canada
Cant buy real gun just like that

USA civilians have more guns then Canadians

but we do have BB guns
watch out for flying pellet

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
im just curious but under what circumstances will your homes be under threat that you need to arm your wives?

what kind of $hit will hit the fan?

here is a list of my favourites

zombies (boom headshot)
aliens (no gun will help you here)
tax man (go for the nuts)
the government (theirs is bigger than yours)
invading coutry (get them commies!)

or the guy who broke down and mistakenly comes to your home for help at 4AM?

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Buy a black BB pistol
that should scare off anyone approaching you

mine really look like a powerfull magnum

but its not lol
edit on 8/12/2011 by Ben81 because: (no reason given)

Who wants to bring a bb gun to a who know what fight? and besides that she would not be very happy after I just dropped about a grand on a new AR for me and all she got was a bb gun.

Well .. living in Canada
Cant buy real gun just like that

USA civilians have more guns then Canadians

but we do have BB guns
watch out for flying pellet

A well placed pellet could do the job i guess but i would rather have us take our chances with something a little larger

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
I'd consider a 30-06 for distance, accuracy and power. It is nice balance of each and completely manageable for a female. If it's good enough for large game at 500+ yards, then it's good enough for long ranged defense.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   
For home defense you might add a crossbow and a sling.

In the hands of a well trained person a sling is an extremely handy and very effective weapon.

slinging.org...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RoguePhilosopher
AK47 or M!6 wouldnt be enough but you have to do your best!!

If you know how to shoot a 22 is good enough.

To the op. Do you load your own ammo? If not then most of the weapons suggested so far I would forget simply because when you run out of ammo your screwed. Stick with the weapons that are common place here in the states. Here are the calibers I would stick with .22,.223,.247,30/30,30/06 in shotguns 12ga 20ga 410ga. This ammo you can find anywhere in the states.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
Guns are dangerous. The government will protect you.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:35 PM
link   
Simple

Barrett 99a. 2000m + range and a muzzle blast thats better than forplay.

IF shes a girl thats impressed by SIZE then she will love the 99a

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
You have said:

She doesnt like the AR.
You want her to have a similar capability to yours.

The answer is simple. Not an AK47. Get her where she can try out an AK 74.

Recoil is a tiny bit less than yours and the same type of round and capability. (though ammo is far cheaper and so is the rifle)
www.jgsales.com...

edit on 12-8-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

You Americans and your guns ! We're ( U.K ) not allowed a lot of the of guns you are discussing here, and even for the few we are allowed, you have to be in a bona fide gun club.
I recently bought a two handed axe from a national d.i.y. chainstore recently. I told the young ( 18 ish.) lady behind the counter I was doing a remake of " The Shining " she did'nt get it, I must be getting old ! It's actually for splitting logs for my woodburner, but will double up an excellent tool for home defence !
It's quite light, with a plastic shaft and three and a half pound head, so my wife should have no trouble swinging it, when I send her downstairs to investigate, ( I'll be in the wardrobe by then.)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
reply to post by kozmo

We call that the ATT rifle.

You know the "reach out and touch someone'.type of rifle.

If you need to send a message to someone they will be sure to get it.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Thunderheart

I used that weapon extensivley in the Army and it is a perfect rifle when chambered for .308. I would recommend an aftermarket heavy, match grade barrell to minimize heat warping during extended firing periods.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I suggest the M1 Carbine: small and light with medium range, detachable magazine (up to 30 rds), and little recoil. It was designed to replace the pistol as a side arm in rear echelon units during WWII, and ended up serving in various roles all the way through Vietnam.

The SKS is another option. A bag of 10 rd stripper clips and you're good to go. I've consistently hit center mass against man-sized targets out to 400 yards with open sites and cheap ammo. It's a consistently underestimated rifle.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I live in Europe in a very secure environment and only have a Mossberg shotgun for very occasional bird hunting.

The American obsession with weapons is foreign to me but I guess it must come from a mixture of dangerous environment and fear mongering. To keep a nation together you need a common national identity.. This has been very difficult in America´s short history. So, the powers that be have mainly focused on external threats which they themselves concocted to herd this young and unruly mass behind them. Also they undoubtedly have used any means possible to play the populace against itself, the old divide and conquer thing.

But of course Main St. always knows best. America is armed to the teeth and then some. It would be extremely problematic for the powers that be to sic police and military on it in the case of a major system breakdown. Best of luck.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

My Daughter loves her
Rem Model 870
know what the best part is???
on the stock it says..."Shoot like a girl... if you can"

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

We already have a few guns I recently bought myself a 223 AR and she has been practising with the 22 rifle but I want her to have a little more fire power. We shoot every weekend and she is getting pretty good but she doesn't like the AR platform.

Any suggestions?

No offense, but if you have to ask, it doesn't matter. In a truly 'SHTF' situation where it would come down to neighbor against neighbor, there are already a whole lot of people that are better trained, better equipped, and generally better at it than you. At that point, all a firearm in your possession is going to do is likely aggravate the situation and get you killed faster. I'm not sure what is the correct answer to your scenario, but I can tell you that, in your case, your AR to shoot dogs and squirrels is about all you need to be worried about, and getting protection against 'bad' people isn't going to happen with a gun.

Before I get jumped on about being anti-gun or whatever.....I've had a gun in my hand practically since I could walk. I've hunted and competition shot for many, many years. Between myself, my brother, and my grandfather we have well over 1000 firearms. It's not about whether guns are 'good' or 'bad,' but simple common sense.

Secondly, for whatever reason, there is this huge push towards an almost militarized xenophobia in this country....there's all these people running around with a homocide fantasy and the 'need' to have a gun. Just the other day I was in buying some ammo for one of my 9mm's and got to listen to some do-nothing fatbody corporate desk jockey telling everybody within earshot how he was going to shoot whoever tried to ever mug him because now he was packing a .380. IMO, this guy had NO BUSINESS with a CCW and probably no business even owning a firearm because his entire premise for even associating with firearms was this shadowy other that he was hell bent on shooting. But, these are the people that have inundated society. Idiots with 'tactical' 870's and AR's who couldn't hit the broad side of a barn and Billy Bada** with an LCP in their pockets that really only want to shoot somebody. Ridiculous, and incredibly irresponsible.

/rant

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Campy, show your wife you really care about her and source out a Kord 6p50. What are the walls of your house made of? I'll assume your nearest neighbor is at least a mile away.

world.guns.ru...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Definitely check out the kelt-tec rfb. Real badass gun.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Do they make one that wont fire 4-5 days a month? That's about the only way I would feel safe.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join