It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of rifle should I buy my wife to help me defend the homefront when shtf?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   
"What kind of rifle should I buy for my wife?"

BEHOLD!

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/20abcc5f6ae5.jpg[/atsimg]

edit on 13-8-2011 by dadgad because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:23 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

lol your list is funnier than mine!

yep im from UK guilty as charged!

great post btw

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

what yals wife's dont shoot guns over there? i though every one has at least 2 or 3 guns and shoots. oh well guess its just every one i know that has a small army's arsenal in there house.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:24 AM
link   
Whatever you get your special lady,you need to teach her the basics of firearms safety.As far as what kind of weapon,I would suggest an M1 carbine,or some kind of semi automatic 22.The reason for these is the massive amount of ammo and spare parts available,and a reduced risk of over penetration.The reason why this is important is that if she has to shoot someone,you dont want the bullet whistling through the target,and harming a loved one.BAHGOOFUH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by Campy61
reply to post by Doublemint

LoL thats funny. I dont want her to have the want to kill just the means to as a last resort if our lifes were in danger.

Shooting platform really doesn't matter then. if you ain't shooting like you mean it, a thrown rock is every bit as effective, and a lot cheaper.

If it hadn't been for that, then the evaluation would have started with her gripes about the AR platform, and continued through what she was more comfortable with shooting - but if she ain't gonna drop 'em at 500 meters, there's really no point in investing in a 500 meter rifle.

I recommend Daisy if she just has to have a trigger attached to her rock.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   

Do you think all gun owners want to kill someone? I'm not even sure how to respond to that. I have owned a rifle since i was 12 and have never thought about using it on another human being.

Self defence does not equal want to kill.

Self defense most certainly IS a want to kill. To even shoot towards someone without a desire to end them is a road that leads to misery. Either you will flinch and they will get YOU, or you will accidentally injure or kill them any how, and will be entirely unprepared psychologically for the event. Either way, it's a bad business, and you're better off investing in a good pair of running shoes than a firearm.

Shooting to scare doesn't work - it pisses folks off, lets them know that you really don't mean it, and they will get you come hell or high water. Shooting to wound, especially in a SHTF situation is the equivalent of a death sentence any how, and a long, drawn out, painful one at that. It's just plain inhumane.

Life and death ain't target practice where you're just punching holes in paper.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
I know I am going to be shot for this - with a full load for bears - and I'll go down in flames but reading this thread it just made me think about something.

The Americans' cult for weapons isn't neither new or strange; the country's history is based on shootings, killings. slaughters and provocative attitudes like "I have a bigger gun than yours so step aside you *SNIP* No offense, guys... it is just a fact.
Now, the European colonists arriving on the continent some time ago found there these strange people with feathers in their hair and reddish skin who - surprise, surprise! - owned the land and they were too stupid to understand that the Big Mighty White Men arrived so they should give up their land and commit mass suicide or else. So the BMWM (haha!) had to kill them. Now, the Red bastards kicked back, they didn't like to be killed just like that, they morons. After a long period of killing each other, there were no Red Men left, not enough anyway to count so the country was born - sort of.
After dealing with natives by sending them to their Creator, the colonists - Americans, by now - decided that *SNIP* that guy from Buckingham Palace" so they threw some teabags in the water, drew again and another agitated period began and, finally, the country earned it's freedom, covered with gunpowder smoke and smell of blood.
Somehow, the Founding Fathers decided that everyone owning a gun isn't a bad thing: the people were content being able to shoot each other and this way, there was always a decreasing factor in the population's census.

Now, owning a gun is a normal thing there; good for you, nothing to say about this.
However, there is something very disturbing here: there are a lot of people talking about killing another human being like it's about shooting a cardboard target and I wonder how many of you guys, so ready and so prepared to shoot on sight and to kill another human were actually pointed a gun to another human in their life.
More than this: there is a 14 y.o. boy, asking "What gun is good for me?"
Son, don't get me wrong, but do you know what LIFE is about? You just learned the correct position for draining your little snake and you need a gun? For Christ's sake...

These guys, so brave and bold... did you guys ever looked in someone elses eyes down to a loaded barrel, your finger on the trigger, applying a constant pressure on it, emptying your lungs while firing that bullet which would end a life in a snap? Did you?
Or you are just like the US Marines - oh my God, I'm really going to be shot now! - admired by an entire world for their training, their philosophy, their weapons, their attitude (how's that chant from training, "to kill! to kill!") and yet... YET, they had their asses kicked wherever they get... Vietnam, Korea, Bay of Pigs, Jugoslavia, Afghanistan,.Iraq... because NONE of these wars weren't win by the US, sorry to say that, guys, but it's a fact. At least, not in the military way of speaking.

I know... trespassing a private property is giving the owner the right to defend himself; this is a quite correct concept but it's a very thin line between the right to defend yourself and the risk to kill the wrong person, who might be frightened by others like you, and that person would only want to defend himself by the ones who are trying to defend themselves... and so on and so forth until they are starting to shoot each other over - maybe - nothing.
That's disturbing...

Now... shoot me.
edit on 13-8-2011 by shansen because: (no reason given)

edit on 8/13/2011 by semperfortis because: Profanity

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

Explanation: Uhmmm?

Firepower eh? What kind of firepower? Range? Calibre? ROF [rate of fire]?

If you want range and calibre I would recommend a .318 rifle.

If you want the above and a higher ROF then I recommend an AK47 or varient.

Personal Disclosure: I am not an expert and I have never fired the weapons I am recommending! Take my info at your own risk!

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
Ruger mini 14. 5.56x45mm Accurate, reliable, compact, and low recoil. All around beautiful gun

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

Might be funny to you but we are serious...especially about our gun and then our women.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

alot of people seem think that the barrett .50cal is is the baddest bear on the block when in fact there are several firearms that kick its ass. the .950 JDJ is the largest "sporting cartridge" with a projectile weighing in at a little over half a pound 8.2oz its truly a terror but for a guy like me my choce hands down is the anzio ironworks 20mm mag fed bolt action rifle with a range of 5000 yards thats 2.8 miles not much of anything stands a chance against it
www.anzioironworks.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:24 AM
link   
If your woman is gonna be rear gaurd and doing things other than patroling / hunting ..then I'm with the shotgun crew..dont have to be an exceptional shot ..and one shot will usually do it (if you hit the target). And near miss is still very effective deterrant. Handguns are nice but hard to control at a caliber that will kill without exceptional accuracy (usually 45 cal and up ).

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart
For home protection nothing beats a short barreled 12 gauge shotgun, pistol grip optional, just point and shoot, can't miss, also the loud bang and muzzle flash is enough for any intruder to crap his britches and scram. Perfect for a female homeowner. It demands attention and screams authorita.

..no....lol....this is so wrong that I actually laughed loudly

A sawed off / short barrel decreases accuracy, power, and range. All you end up with is a huge scatter of shot that covers a very short distance.

Not to mention the kick a 12 gauge provides (don't get her a pistol grip, she'll break her damn wrist) and the extremely small chamber allows for a max of 8 shells (depending on which shotgun you have)

Shotguns are great for hunting small game (if you're going after big game, be fair and use a bow!), killing demons in Doom, and tactical insertion. That's it.

If you want a good, solid, protect you on the home front kind of weapon, you simply CAN NOT go wrong with an AR15. Ammo isn't horribly priced, and is very widely available. check out cheapterthandirt.com for good prices on everything you would need to protect you and yours.

My weapon of choice, among many others, is the Rock River LE1040...there are many like it, but this is mine!

edit on 13-8-2011 by PrimePorkchop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by nenothtu

Do you think all gun owners want to kill someone? I'm not even sure how to respond to that. I have owned a rifle since i was 12 and have never thought about using it on another human being.

Self defence does not equal want to kill.

Self defense most certainly IS a want to kill. To even shoot towards someone without a desire to end them is a road that leads to misery. Either you will flinch and they will get YOU, or you will accidentally injure or kill them any how, and will be entirely unprepared psychologically for the event. Either way, it's a bad business, and you're better off investing in a good pair of running shoes than a firearm.

Shooting to scare doesn't work - it pisses folks off, lets them know that you really don't mean it, and they will get you come hell or high water. Shooting to wound, especially in a SHTF situation is the equivalent of a death sentence any how, and a long, drawn out, painful one at that. It's just plain inhumane.

Life and death ain't target practice where you're just punching holes in paper.

For your own personal sake, i hope everything you just said was a joke. If you think running away is going to save you and yours, good luck. Just don't come knocking on my door asking for help when SHTF. Be prepared for the worst, hope for the best, and survive in the end. Attitudes like yours is why burglary rates are on the up.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon
Americans are funny... "what type of gun should I buy my wife"

Foreigners are funny

"I gave up my rights to protect myself a long time ago when I allowed my government to take away my guns, thats why when SHTF, i'll be crying for Americans to come save my ass again"
edit on 13-8-2011 by PrimePorkchop because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by shansen

Or you are just like the US Marines - oh my God, I'm really going to be shot now! - admired by an entire world for their training, their philosophy, their weapons, their attitude (how's that chant from training, "to kill! to kill!") and yet... YET, they had their asses kicked wherever they get... Vietnam, Korea, Bay of Pigs, Jugoslavia, Afghanistan,.Iraq... because NONE of these wars weren't win by the US, sorry to say that, guys, but it's a fact. At least, not in the military way of speaking.

Now... shoot me.

Sounds like somebody couldnt make the cut and got kicked out. Or just failed the asvap and was never allowed to join. Just sayin.

The best rifle in my eyes is of course the AR series because its based on the M16. We had old M16A2s in boot camp and they were thrown around and banged up but at the range they always fired true. Assuming you know how to make the proper adjustments. The only issue is I dont think Ive ever held an M16 or M4 that didnt have an issue with the upper and lower receivers wobbling around (If that makes any sense). All around the weapon gets hated on worse than the usmc by shansen over here but in my experiences its never failed me.

I would also suggest getting educated in the fundamentals of marksmanship if not already or it wont matter what kind of weapon you guys have.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by galdur

I agree. Especially with extended magazine with alternating slugs and OO buck. A rifle or handgun at night is hard to zero in with, unless she is an expert to begin with and equipped with a good light, which gives away your position.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Stoeger 2000

www.akfiles.com...

Mag tube extension.

unknowntarget.com...

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
hmm

When the shtf...
Best to buy her a golden rifle with diamond bullets...then when the shtf...sell it for land.

After all, the shtf senario will likely be a financial crisis, choose the right weapon for the right issue

Defend it well, the mole people are a vicious sort.

posted on Aug, 13 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by shansen

Now... shoot me.

Well, Military wins battles, politicians win wars.
The military isn't broken...they work well...our politicians are however broken.

Probably why no wars have been "won" by anyone since WW2 frankly..(except arguably the liberation of Kuwait in the 90s, but that was more like enforcing an annexing)

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join