It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What kind of rifle should I buy my wife to help me defend the homefront when shtf?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
Also good for feral dogs that will plague the SHTF survivors.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Thunderheart

Originally posted by Campy61
reply to post by Thunderheart

Yea we have a 410 by the bedroom door for that reason but I'm looking for something for her that can reach out and touch someone. We live on a farm on top of a hill and have great site lines so we want to be able to keep people out of shotgun range

Check this out, affordable and yet accurate right out of the box:
www.remington.com...

The Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint is capable of punching tiny groups straight out of the box because it’s built on the Model 700™ action, the most solid, dependable and trusted in existence.

Its 26" heavy contour barrel is perfectly matched to its high-velocity caliber offerings, including the hot new 17 Remington Fireball. Plus, the ergonomically designed black synthetic stock has a vented beavertail fore-end for enhanced grip, reduced weight and better heat dissipation. And sharp predator eyes won’t spot the tough, non-reflective matte blued finish on the barrel and receiver. Other standard features include a hinged floorplate magazine, sling swivel studs, and a drilled and tapped receiver. The Model 700™ SPS™ Varmint is destined to leave a lasting impression on any varmint that crosses its line of sight.

Under $700 bucks.
edit on 12-8-2011 by Thunderheart because: (no reason given)

I like it. I will have to go find one of these for her to look at.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

Actually, thinking back to my military days, you might want to get her a South African R4 or R5. Very light weight, pretty accurate in single shot at 200 yards. Fully auto and semi auto modes as well. Your basic survival in the jungle type weapon and a lot lighter than an M4.

For close combat I prefer Desert Eagle, 44 mag., the 357 didn't feel "strong" enough. Magnum Industries makes a nice interchangeable XIX series as well, 44/50. I also ran a CZ-83 9mm and a CZ-75 9mmP. The 83 was pretty good, never jammed, can't say that about the 75. My Co had a 762 Baretta he kept under his hat, small gun but very effective.

Cheers - Dave

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:21 AM
link   
Here is a nice scope to mount on it, under $300 bucks.
swfa.com...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I have the old school Remington 870 Express and it kicks like a mule. I don't think your wife will like that too much. Any of the newer model semi-auto shot guns kick way less and are very accurate, your wife would be fine with that...

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
reply to post by Doublemint

Never said anything about killing someone. Who said it would be people we are defending ourselves from, could it not be some type of animal?
Even if it were a person or persons defending your self is not the same as killing.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
SKS.

Second

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Retikx

She doesn't like the one I have she thinks its to old.
Lol thats a women for ya.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:30 AM
link   
ha i'm 14 what would be a good gun for me? for home defense

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by arber123

Depends on if your parents feel you are ready to own a firearm. If not a BB gun or slingshot would scare off most.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   

We already have a few guns I recently bought myself a 223 AR and she has been practising with the 22 rifle but I want her to have a little more fire power. We shoot every weekend and she is getting pretty good but she doesn't like the AR platform.

Any suggestions?

Yeah tell her this is for protecting the family not buying flower arrangements for the table. Do I need to point out the many benefits to having standardized weapons for the family? I would tell her tough the family protection rifle is the AR platform she needs to learn to use it for the protection of her family in a crisis situation. This isn't shopping for clothes. What does she not like about the platform?

I not only got the AR for the family I made them all assemble it themselves so they know the weapon inside and out. It is not that difficult and the best platform. It is like the PC of rifles lots of companies make the parts and most of them are all interchangeable
edit on 12-8-2011 by hawkiye because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:34 AM
link   

just point and shoot, can't miss,

It's actually still pretty easy to miss with a shotgun, unless you are using something with a huge spread like birdshot, which is going to be much less useful anyway. Just because you have more than one round heading down range doesn't mean you don't have to aim.

OP,

What doesn't she like about the AR? Does she have a problem with a 5.56 or just the gun itself?

A 5.56 seems like it would be a good round for her. Decent power and range, without too much recoil. If she doesn't like ARs, but would use a 5.56, something along the lines of a SIG556, Saiga .223, Ruger Mini-14, Kel-Tec SU16, STG 556.

Here are some links for info/reviews of the previously mentioned guns:

STG 556:

www.theboxotruth.com...

SIG 556:

www.gunblast.com...

Ruger Mini-14:

www.gunblast.com...

Kel-Tec Su16:

www.gunblast.com...

Saiga .223 forum. There should be some reviews there, but there is definitely tons of good information:

forum.saiga-12.com.../forum/22-saiga-223/

All of these are .223 or 5.56, semi-automatic, have detachable high-capacity magazines, and most importantly for your wife, are NOT AR platform rifles.

If she can handle something bigger, like a 7.62x39 get her an AK, Galil, Saiga 7.62

Hope this helps.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Campy61

why would you need to defend yourself against animals when shtf and not now? you live on a farm so I will assume you live in a rual area so animals are probally already alive and if they are a threat then you need you defens now not after shtf there for leading me to think you were talking about killing humans.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

just point and shoot, can't miss,

It's actually still pretty easy to miss with a shotgun, unless you are using something with a huge spread like birdshot, which is going to be much less useful anyway. Just because you have more than one round heading down range doesn't mean you don't have to aim.

OP,

What doesn't she like about the AR? Does she have a problem with a 5.56 or just the gun itself?

A 5.56 seems like it would be a good round for her. Decent power and range, without too much recoil. If she doesn't like ARs, but would use a 5.56, something along the lines of a SIG556, Saiga .223, Ruger Mini-14, Kel-Tec SU16, STG 556.

Here are some links for info/reviews of the previously mentioned guns:

STG 556:

www.theboxotruth.com...

SIG 556:

www.gunblast.com...

Ruger Mini-14:

www.gunblast.com...

Kel-Tec Su16:

www.gunblast.com...

Saiga .223 forum. There should be some reviews there, but there is definitely tons of good information:

forum.saiga-12.com.../forum/22-saiga-223/

All of these are .223 or 5.56, semi-automatic, have detachable high-capacity magazines, and most importantly for your wife, are NOT AR platform rifles.

If she can handle something bigger, like a 7.62x39 get her an AK, Galil, Saiga 7.62

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info.
Ill have to take some time and check it all out.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   

FYI, I accidentally starred your post because of my old shaky hands.

Anyhow, In the USA people are allowed to kill people who try to kill them. That is something you are going to have to learn to deal with.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Exuberant1

read the whole conversation it will make more since

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:42 AM
link   

I dont think deer, rabbits and the occasional coyotes pose that much of a threat at the moment. But you never know we might get attacked by some big bunnys.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   

Any suggestions?

Be prepared to go to jail.
Just because the SHTF, doesnt mean that law enforcement suddenly vanishes. There are very few places in the world where you can blow somebody's head off at your front door and not suffer any legal consequences. Even with SHTF, I'm not seeing the USA get to this state of affairs.

As somebody else points out, a shotgun certainly does the job of looking and sounding the part. Even if you dont aim it directly at them. They'll go away.

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:43 AM
link   
i'm thinking handgun... much more practical in a home invasion type of sittuation...

my wife has a Colt .45 semi with a stacked clip and two spare magazines in her bedside table an 2 9mm, one between her and the front and rear doors.

plenty of firepower, easily concealed, no bulky riffle stock

posted on Aug, 12 2011 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Benelli MR1 is excellent. Probably takes you back $12-1300 though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join