It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

31 US special forces die in chopper crash

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

31 US special forces die in chopper crash

news.theage.com.au

A total of 31 members of the US special forces have died in a helicopter crash in eastern Afghanistan, a statement from the office of Afghan President Hamid Karzai said Saturday.

"The president of the Islamic Republic of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai expressed condolences over a NATO helicopter crash and the deaths of 31 members of US special forces," the statement said.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.chron.com
news.ninemsn.com.au

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
CIA hired Karzai brother before 9/11
Karzai surrounding himself with anti-US advisers...Warlords taking more power
Karzai's brother shot dead in Kandahar
Karzai aide in corruption probe linked to CIA

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Well even though I dont generally support the armed services, these men had families and I know many will be having the worst days of their life today when the knock at the door comes later, so my heart does go out to them.

However Considering the recent difficulties between Karzai and the US, with his "brother" recently being being killed in mysterious circumstances, is this just an accident?

Was this actually in Afghanistan or on the Pakistan border regions?

I am sure there is more to this than we will ever see released through MSM, the rumors of Karzai's brother being involved with 9/11 and also the CIA links with Karzai, and his bothers death.

Is this an Retaliation from him, Or for the Pakistanis re Osama Raid?

news.theage.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 6-8-2011 by MischeviousElf because: To clarify Karzais Brother not killed in US raid but by Bodygaurd CIA links though.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
reply to post by MischeviousElf

That must have been one big helicopter!

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
reply to post by SourGrapes

Indeed! apparently as well another 7 members of the Afghans Security Forces on there as well! A Chinook or something similar

This is Breaking but the Taliban have said they shot it down!

With all the Anti Air and weapons the CIA dropped into Afghanistan when the Russians were there I was always surprised more aircraft were not downed, however is this one of the US's own old weapons or from Pakistan/Libya etc?

As far as I am aware even the Special forces helicopters are not the normal type but have crack pilots and better upgraded systems and protection so this was no lucky shot with and RPG. I am sure those who know about this on ATS can confirm this or not.

t is not clear how the crash happened but the Taliban have said they shot the helicopter down.
BREAKING BBC

Kind Regards,

Elf

To add this is the single largest loss of armed services in Afghanistan since operations began in 2001
edit on 6-8-2011 by MischeviousElf because: to add as below sig.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   
wow, prayers out to the families.

payback WILL be a biartch.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:04 AM
link   

What? What kind of helicopter was this?

Im no expert, but I highly doubt this could have been a blackhawk or any other kind of helicopter of that size. I would guess a chinook, but Im not sure how many people those can hold
edit on 6-8-2011 by buni11687 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Why do American piloted choppers always crash? No offence intended but every month i hear this on the news... Same thing occured during the so-called Osama raid...

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
Another link:

BBC News

No word on the helicopter yet, but it would have been either a Chinook or Super Stallion

Chinook (CH-47D)
Maximum Capacity: 55

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/7a1224792cb7.jpg[/atsimg]

Super Stallion (CH-53E)
Maximum Capacity: 55

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/44236941f317.png[/atsimg]
edit on 6/8/2011 by Kliskey because: Embedding images

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
reply to post by buni11687

chinook, slow and big.

we won't hear about the retaliation.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:07 AM
link   
I think the number just jumped a little bit

www.cnn.com...

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- At least 38 people were killed aboard a NATO helicopter that crashed in eastern Afghanistan, according to a statement from Afghan president Hamid Karzai's office.

Thirty-one NATO service members and seven Afghans were aboard the helicopter as it traveled through Wardak province, a restive central-eastern region of the country, the statement said.

Not sure what type of helicopter it was yet

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:08 AM
link   

This is on Foxnews website, but there has been no independant coroberation yet.

NVM - post above to CNN contains statements from NATO command.
edit on 6-8-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Post Edited

This from last week, the Taliban was claiming to have shot this helicopter down, but in the incident
below U.S. Military confimed there were no deaths from July 25, 2011.

NATO says rescue forces came under fire from insurgents but had safely moved all crew and passengers to a nearby base by early morning.

Kunar provincial spokesman Safiullah Wasifullah Wasify says the helicopter went down before dawn in Kunar’s remote mountainous Chapa Dara district. He says that his report showed it was shot down by a rocket.

Taliban spokesman Zabiullah Mujahid said that troops were dropping out of the helicopter for an assault on the militant group when they shot the helicopter down.www.pakistankakhudahafiz.com...

There is a picture here, maybe someone can take a look at this?
www.pakistankakhudahafiz.com...

edit on 6-8-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by aRogue
Why do American piloted choppers always crash? No offence intended but every month i hear this on the news... Same thing occured during the so-called Osama raid...

I think it is mostly because of the sheer number of helicopters used by the US millitary combined with inherit dangers/instabillity of helicopters in general. Google "helicopter crashes" and notice that this isn't just a US epidemic. That tells me that the vast global news coverage of US millitary incidents vs news coverage of other nation's incidents likely plays a role as well.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by buni11687
I think the number just jumped a little bit

www.cnn.com...

Kabul, Afghanistan (CNN) -- At least 38 people were killed aboard a NATO helicopter that crashed in eastern Afghanistan, according to a statement from Afghan president Hamid Karzai's office.

Thirty-one NATO service members and seven Afghans were aboard the helicopter as it traveled through Wardak province, a restive central-eastern region of the country, the statement said.

Not sure what type of helicopter it was yet

7 insurgents died too. that's what i heard.

maybe they went down on top of them?

eta; it was Iraqi security also died.

that's a lot of people in one shot.

they got lucky or did they?
edit on 6-8-2011 by fooks because: (no reason given)

link   
reply to post by burntheships

The helicopter shown is a Chinook helicopter, dual rotor heavy lift. Its used by special forces as well.

link   
New York Times is reporting that the helicopter has been shot down, rather than crashed.

Dozens Killed as NATO Helicopter Shot Down in Afghanistan

KABUL, Afghanistan — Insurgents shot down a NATO Chinook helicopter during an overnight operation in eastern Afghanistan, killing 37 people on board, a military official said on Saturday. It was one of the worst single-day losses of life for coalition troops in the nearly decade-long war and comes amid rising violence across the country.

The helicopter was hit by a rocket-propelled grenade in the Tangi valley of the Wardak Province just west of Kabul. The Taliban claimed credit for the attack.

This is still a breaking news story, so I doubt we will know what actually happened for atleast a little while.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Xcathdra

Yes, it appears though to be fully intact and sitting on a wall?
So, that can not be a photo of the actual helo?

ETA : well no matter that pic is from the 25th, different day with similarites in report,
thankfully no fatalities.

edit on 6-8-2011 by burntheships because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   
The Afghans on Board the Heli Copter were also Special Forces

Seven Afghans were also killed in the crash, the statement said, taking the total death toll in the incident to 38. The Afghan defence ministry said they were also special forces.

Herald Sun

And as stated by other members the Taliban seem to be really sure it was them.

Kind Regards,

Elf

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:14 AM
link   

All of these brave men have died.

I am mourning them.

And it just goes to show that this world's leaders want war.

posted on Aug, 6 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   

PressTV viewers are celebrating, it seems the third world rejoices every time American soldiers are killed.

SOCOM has conducted thousands and thousands of house to house searches, terrorising locals, maybe 30 isn't enough, you tell me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join