It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Interceptor?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47
With 2.8 under combat situations and 3.2 mach in a clear configuration the Mig-25 never had to fear itself being interercepted.

The only flaw in the 25 I can think of (other than the rumor I heard that whenever they touched Mach 3 the engines had to be overhauled) was that it was designed solely in response to the B-70 Valkeryie which never reached full production.

Other than that the Mig 25 is the horse Id ride into town.

Mig-31BM,

mach 2.5 cruise, mach 3++ tops, 2,500Km range...

"the MiG-31BM is capable of intercepting up to 24 targets simultaneously, a unit of MiG-31s can link their radars together, to establish a search pattern -- covering a width of 800-900 km with four aircraft, spaced at 200 km"

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 03:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

If I recall the Mach 3.2 speed was attainable only by burning out its turbines.

Thats what I made an off hand reference to but I didnt have my story straight.

Some of the textual references I have cite the ability to touch 3.2 under stripped down "clean configurations" but at the same time Ive heard aviators say that under normal conditions the turbines would be busted.

[edit on 18-8-2004 by Agent47]

posted on Aug, 18 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Agent47

If I recall the Mach 3.2 speed was attainable only by burning out its turbines.

Thats what I made an off hand reference to but I didnt have my story straight.

Some of the textual references I have cite the ability to touch 3.2 under stripped down "clean configurations" but at the same time Ive heard aviators say that under normal conditions the engines would be busted.

Damn! That's pretty freaking fast. Still good enough to make that dramatic escape move

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
My personal picks are between the F-14 Tomcat with its AWG-9 radar system that uses the AIM-54 Pheonix Missile, and Mig-25 Foxbat with its mach 3 speed. I must say that I like all the picks metioned so far! Everyone has very convincing support for their choice or choices!
Keep them coming!

Tim
ATS Director of Counter-Ignorance

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
mig-31bm is the best interceptor in the world, f14 lags behind in mnay areas,

Mig-31 can intercept more tragets at one point. it can even hit cruise missles, counterpart to the new mig-31bm missile Phoenix missile is outdated and inefective anymore.
Mig-31 can also intercept Anti Ship missiles.

The Mig31 has got a greater range, with air-to air refeulling it can fly over 10 hours a mission
And the Mig-31's are designed to operate without GCI(Ground Controlled Intercept) or ACI (Air Controlled Intercept) The Mig-31 can operate as an mini-awacs. MiG-31s are most often used in group of four (or even eight), linked together by datalink. Operating together, four MiG-31s can cover a strip of territory 900 km!! (560 miles) across, and targets can be transferred rapidly from one aircraft to another, with all aircraft sharing the same image on their tactical situation displays
The F-14 can fly at speeds up to Mach 2 It has an Max mach number of 2.35 and and cruise mach number 1.2.
While the Mig-31 can fly mach 3+ and the Mig 31 has a cruising speed of mach 2.35 and can fly at this speeds for an longer time
The mission radius of an Mig-31 used as an interceptor is 1135 nm. The mission radias of an F-14 is 500 nm. This is without refeulling.

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hocico

Mig-31 can intercept more tragets at one point. it can even hit cruise missles, counterpart to the new mig-31bm missile Phoenix missile is outdated and inefective anymore.

The Mig31 has got a greater range, with air-to air refeulling it can fly over 10 hours a mission
And the Mig-31's are designed to operate without GCI(Ground Controlled Intercept) or ACI (Air Controlled Intercept) The Mig-31 can operate as an mini-awacs. MiG-31s are most often used in group of four (or even eight), linked together by datalink. Operating together, four MiG-31s can cover a strip of territory 900 km!! (560 miles) across, and targets can be transferred rapidly from one aircraft to another, with all aircraft sharing the same image on their tactical situation displays
The F-14 can fly at speeds up to Mach 2 It has an Max mach number of 2.35 and and cruise mach number 1.2.
While the Mig-31 can fly mach 3+ and the Mig 31 has a cruising speed of mach 2.35 and can fly at this speeds for an longer time
The mission radius of an Mig-31 used as an interceptor is 1135 nm. The mission radias of an F-14 is 500 nm. This is without refeulling.

I'm Impressed! I think I need to catch up on my reading a bit. Hocico, Do you have any good links I should check while I'm at it? I going Googling!

Tim

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:35 AM
link   

The F-14 can attack 6 targets at one time , the Mig 31 can only engage 4. It is an inpressive aircraft, but please check your facts!

MiG-31

F-14 Tomcat

Tim

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 09:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by ghost

The F-14 can attack 6 targets at one time , the Mig 31 can only engage 4. It is an inpressive aircraft, but please check your facts!

MiG-31

F-14 Tomcat

Tim

mig-31m can engage six targets at the same time

The MiG-31BM is an upgraded MiG-31B which adds an air-to-surface capability. New onboard computer systems and a new fire control radar capable of tracking up to 24 targets simultaneously.

www.milavia.net...

posted on Aug, 19 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Mig-31BM air-to-surface?
that means - intersepting tanks??

also, Mig-31 is able to launch sattelites into orbit up to 500km

heh. not bad for an interseptor...
(ground, air, space...)

and like always, pictures:

[edit on 19-8-2004 by titus]

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 02:18 PM
link   
In terms of reality, interceptors have almost no purpose anymore. SAMS and Air superiority / multipurpose fighters have taken away their need.

But...in terms of what they were made to do, and their effectiveness, you need look no further than the Spitfire and the Fat engined FW190.

Were it not for the Spitfire and radar, the Germans would have landed on British soil under German air cover for sure. And the FW190 with the big engine had speed and altitude performance second to only the me 262.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:40 PM
link   
The Mig-31 or Mig-25 traveling at Mach 3 cant evade and F-14's Phoenix traveling at Mach 5+.

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TACHYON
The Mig-31 or Mig-25 traveling at Mach 3 cant evade and F-14's Phoenix traveling at Mach 5+.

what the # is your point?
, f14 cant evade mig-31 and 25 missiles

posted on Aug, 20 2004 @ 08:25 PM
link   
If not counting the SR-71 then its the Russian Mig-31M. If you dont want to believe then you need to do more research.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 12:24 AM
link   
Technically the SR-71 is not an interceptor, it is Strategic Reconnisaince.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by TACHYON
Technically the SR-71 is not an interceptor, it is Strategic Reconnisaince.

No but the YF-12 derivative of the A-12 which the SR-71 is based was intended to be.

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 01:21 AM
link   

Aside from the profanity, the Aim-54 has a range of 100 plus miles. Long before the Mig-25/31 would be in range

[edit on 21-8-2004 by FredT]

[edit on 21-8-2004 by FredT]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:45 AM
link   

Aside from the profanity, the Aim-54 has a range of 100 plus miles. Long before the Mig-25/31 would be in range

aim-54 is outdated now useless missile designed to shoot down soviet bombers, mig-31m+ has a 400km missile in its arsenal so yeah

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by soulforge

Were it not for the Spitfire and radar, the Germans would have landed on British soil under German air cover for sure. And the FW190 with the big engine had speed and altitude performance second to only the me 262.

actually the hawker and the spitfire were the responsible. both are nice planes but the spitfire is better. also we had a plan for the invasion thingy. doubt they would of made it ashore.

E_T

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 03:11 PM
link   

mig-31m+ has a 400km missile in its arsenal so yeah

Care to provide links/references... or is it just WAG?

And AA-9 Amos (R-33) is russian equivalent for Phoenix.

[edit on 21-8-2004 by E_T]

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

mig-31m+ has a 400km missile in its arsenal so yeah

Care to provide links/references... or is it just WAG?
And AA-9 Amos (R-33) is russian equivalent for Phoenix.
[edit on 21-8-2004 by E_T]

Its just WAG Ive delt with this guy in other areas before and its long on embelishments and very short on facts.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join