It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Best Interceptor?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT
Aim-54 has a range of 100 plus miles. Long before the Mig-25/31 would be in range

KS-172 has a range of 250 plus miles. Long before the F-14 Tomcat would be in range

posted on Aug, 21 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by E_T

Originally posted by Hocico
mig-31m+ has a 400km missile in its arsenal so yeah

Care to provide links/references... or is it just WAG?
And AA-9 Amos (R-33) is russian equivalent for Phoenix.
[edit on 21-8-2004 by E_T]

Its just WAG Ive delt with this guy in other areas before and its long on embelishments and very short on facts.

its not WAG. i think he was referring to KS-172. 400 KM range.

and btw: Mig-31BM is better than Mig-31M

[edit on 21-8-2004 by titus]

E_T

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by titus

It seems to have been designed as anti-AWACS missile so performance might not good against smaller and faster planes.

www.astronautix.com...

posted on Aug, 22 2004 @ 06:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by E_T

Originally posted by titus

It seems to have been designed as anti-AWACS missile so performance might not good against smaller and faster planes.

www.astronautix.com...

anti-AWACS version has 1,400 km range

go aeroweb.lucia.it..., and there it says 400 km range, so i guess its regular AA version

correct me if i'm wrong, cuz still there are other missiles with longer range than phoenix. but still, longer range doesnt mean better missile

[edit on 22-8-2004 by titus]

posted on Aug, 24 2004 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Not to stray from this debate, i think the F-14 would wreck house if it had super cruise, like on the raptor, i just think that would kick ass...

BTW, the F-14 is better It can reach anywhere where there for the carrier to sail in, and it is also better because there are requirements to be an F-14 Pilot,
You have o have been an F-18 or an F-16 pilot for like 2 years or something, which also includes a stint at the red flag course (it would be interesting if "red Flag" and "opfor" merged, that would be so sweet)

Edit: You would also have to pass the "Top Gun" course

[edit on 25/8/2004 by Paladin327]

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Going back to the YF-12 effort, it would never have made an operational aircraft with any kind of readiness. Just to prep the Blackbird family of aircraft you needed a couple of hours, not what you needed in time critical moments. It was highly dependant on refuelling after takeoff, not much good to be stuck behind a tanker when you've got incoming bandits. The basing requirements, the logistics, maintanance and cost pretty well priced it outside the allowances for service use. Good technology demonstrator though and its systems were critical in the development of the Tomcat fire control and Phoenix missile systems.

GD

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paladin327
Not to stray from this debate, i think the F-14 would wreck house if it had super cruise, like on the raptor, i just think that would kick ass...

BTW, the F-14 is better It can reach anywhere where there for the carrier to sail in, and it is also better because there are requirements to be an F-14 Pilot,
You have o have been an F-18 or an F-16 pilot for like 2 years or something, which also includes a stint at the red flag course (it would be interesting if "red Flag" and "opfor" merged, that would be so sweet)

Edit: You would also have to pass the "Top Gun" course

I doubt there is a single tomcat driver that started out flying F-16's. The F-16 is not flown by the Navy.

posted on Aug, 25 2004 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MPJay
Going back to the YF-12 effort, it would never have made an operational aircraft with any kind of readiness. Just to prep the Blackbird family of aircraft you needed a couple of hours, not what you needed in time critical moments. It was highly dependant on refuelling after takeoff, not much good to be stuck behind a tanker when you've got incoming bandits. The basing requirements, the logistics, maintanance and cost pretty well priced it outside the allowances for service use. Good technology demonstrator though and its systems were critical in the development of the Tomcat fire control and Phoenix missile systems.

The YF-12 was supposed to be used to intercept Soviet nuclear bombers, not fighters. Since these bombers would be coming from the Soviet mainland, it would have plenty f time to prep, take-off, refuel, then take out said bombers.

Also, with a much larger fleet, costs per aircraft go down.

<< 1  2   >>

join