It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fresno, CA to Post Prostitution Offenders Photos Online

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   
The city of Fresno is set to begin posting photos of both prostitutes and their customers online in an attempt to crack down on the crime.

“The crime of prostitution clearly impacts our businesses, our neighborhoods and the quality of life in our city,” Mayor Swearengin said. “Operation Reveal recognizes that we can’t solve this issue simply by dealing with the prostitutes. Customers also are contributing to the problem, so we need to focus our efforts on them as well.” “Prostitution is not a victimless crime,” Chief Dyer said. “Revealing the identity of ‘Johns’ and the impact prostitution has on our community will go a long way toward reducing this activity."

Link to Full Article

Link to the Operation Reveal website

Is it appropriate to use a public website to "shame" those convicted of engaging in prostitution?

The names, identities, and citations appear here as they were provided to police officers in the field at the time of arrests. These individuals are presumed innocent until proven guilty in a court of law.

That quote is taken right off the Operation Reveal website. Shouldn't they wait until a person is convicted to do this? What if someone who is found Not Guilty or is otherwise not convicted winds up on this website?

edit on 28-7-2011 by quango because: cleanup layout

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I think it's wrong.

I don't think there is any difference with 2 consenting adults going on a date and having their one stand.

Only it's prostitution when you ask for payment.

You know the guy isn't coming back or is going to call you back.

So, you might as well get something out of it.
edit on 28-7-2011 by Manhater because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:42 PM
link   
ya never know maybe it will help crack down maybe it wont haha pretty funny tho

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by quango

They should just legalize and tax prostitutes. It would improve their working conditions if the pimps can't intimidate them anymore.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by quango

"Yea-heh! Now we know what's for sale in the ring of love!"

This could backfire and help these girls more than anything else. They're already on the street having sex for money! I think their priorities are on surviving and making money and not living up to the "standards" of society!

I believe people should be able to do whatever they want with their bodies, even if it offends other people for whatever reason.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Personally, I see nothing whatsoever wrong with prostitiution and I think it should be completely legal.

That said, I believe posting the "John's" faces would indeed be very effective, but not necessarily for the reason they suggest: To put it delicately, seeing a string of fifteen or twenty images of "earlier customers" might take the wind out of the sails of prospective future customers.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
This is a great idea.

Free advertising!

...Curious if they are going to post contact info as well.
edit on 28-7-2011 by boncho because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by quango

This is nothing new- they've been doing it out here on the East Coast for years.....

new topics

top topics

join