It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Balkan

Why read the Bible? Just wait for it to come out on DVD. Much easier.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:28 PM
link   
You and your sister sound kind of flaky.

You want people here to recommend a book that will futher indoctrinate your sister into the backward childish superstition called religion?

This is such utter trolling it isnt even funny. Do you realise what website you are posting this on? is it not clear to you from reading other threads that nonsense like this will only provoke mostly negativity here??

My advice to you and your sister, if you are on the level and not just trying to ' stir the pot ' is to take this asinine question to some Christian forum or some site where there might actually be some proper religious scholars who take this hooey as seriously as yourself.

edit* I spoke to soon. Reading some of the responses I see we have plenty of religious whack-jobs here on ATS. No need to go elsewhere. Stay right here where you all like it best, annoying the athiests.

edit on 28-7-2011 by angus1745 because: additional

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
As always with ats and any "God" related post, the first few responses are usually atrocious flames of subjective bias from the other side of the looking glass.

BIg arrse NEWS FLASH: ive experienced an infinite being that is prior to all thought, reaction, bias, or any of you opinionated bullish and remebered pre-existing as a soul or pure awareness prior to taking on a body. So any talk of atheism,euthanasia, or imaginations area waste of your time to post. I used to be n atheist and it was a completevwaste of unenlightened time in my life. You couldnt pay me enough to or ever convice me otherwise after having experienced the infinite ocean of absolute beingness.

Everyone else , thanks for your suggestions. Looking into them now.

As for the bible, its a little too heavy for her. As far as the know yourself thread, she would need an example from a book on how to know yourself. As for koran, no thanks. Anything that has to dowith enlightenment, union with God, interfaith, tips n tricks from all paths that help for a primarily christian-mystical typebackgnd.

Thanks,and if you have no advice then please dont post

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Conversations with God by Neal Donald Walsh is amazing. Changed how I look at life in profound ways to say the least. I highly recommend.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by angus1745

U must not be familiar with my history here on ats as someone knowledgeable in mysticism and philosophy and this post iz nothing closetk trollingso you can pretty much stuff yor trolls back into your assumption bin.

I could really give 2 craps on any replis that are anti-God and written out of ignorance. Im with you on religion being garbage, however thats exoteric. The esoteric truths that many here know nd experience are completely beyond and transcend the mundane levels of logic n reason.

If you wat to be negative, take it sumwhere else.only Love here.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Call out on the name of the the Lord, and ye shall be saved........It really works!

You really can not go wrong with the Bible.

But one book that really cuts through the crap, so to speak, is "The normal Christian life" by Watchman Nee.

P.S..........I HIGHLY recommend finding the GOD of Abraham, Issac, and Jacob........you can roll the rest of them up and smoke um'

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
As always with ats and any "God" related post, the first few responses are usually atrocious flames of subjective bias from the other side of the looking glass.

BIg arrse NEWS FLASH: ive experienced an infinite being that is prior to all thought, reaction, bias, or any of you opinionated bullish and remebered pre-existing as a soul or pure awareness prior to taking on a body. So any talk of atheism,euthanasia, or imaginations area waste of your time to post. I used to be n atheist and it was a completevwaste of unenlightened time in my life. You couldnt pay me enough to or ever convice me otherwise after having experienced the infinite ocean of absolute beingness.

Everyone else , thanks for your suggestions. Looking into them now.

As for the bible, its a little too heavy for her. As far as the know yourself thread, she would need an example from a book on how to know yourself. As for koran, no thanks. Anything that has to dowith enlightenment, union with God, interfaith, tips n tricks from all paths that help for a primarily christian-mystical typebackgnd.

Thanks,and if you have no advice then please dont post

From the sound of it, she isn't looking for God then.... or you aren't helping her find her "version" of God. I am as far as it comes from religion. I don't even consider myself atheist.. because it's another titled religion. I believe what I believe... and that is something absolutely no one here or anywhere will ever understand, because it is so entirely personal. If she wants to find God... what is it she really wants to find? Is it a being? Is it a feeling? Is it salvation? Is it faith? Is it a replacement for fear? Is it God...Religion...Spirituality... or is she just confused about life? There are absolutely no books that can be suggested unless there is a real understanding of why she is interested. So maybe... before looking for "God"... she should start looking in herself first.
Still, with all that said - my book recommendation (seriously this time...) would be, IMHO, the best start for even someone who wants to find their version of God - The Celestine Prophecies. It's a fictional book with so much truth behind it. And the way you described your faith, I bet you have already read it.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Mere Christianity - C.S. Lewis

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Getting closer to God is getting closer to death.
Unless one is suffering greatly it is better not to begin
that path.

The Knee of Listening will take you to deaths door.
But almost no one may enter while alive.
beezone.com...

Grateful Dead Ripple Lyrics

If my words did glow with the gold of sunshine
And my tunes were played on the harp unstrung,
Would you hear my voice come thru the music,
Would you hold it near as it were your own?

It's a hand-me-down, the thoughts are broken,
Perhaps they're better left unsung.
I don't know, don't really care
Let there be songs to fill the air.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.
[ Lyrics from: www.lyricsfreak.com... ]
Reach out your hand if your cup be empty,
If your cup is full may it be again,
Let it be known there is a fountain,
That was not made by the hands of men.

There is a road, no simple highway,
Between the dawn and the dark of night,
And if you go no one may follow,
That path is for your steps alone.

Ripple in still water,
When there is no pebble tossed,
Nor wind to blow.

You who choose to lead must follow
But if you fall you fall alone,
If you should stand then whos to guide you?
If I knew the way I would take you home.

La dee da da da, la da da da da, da da da, da da, da da da da da
La da da da, la da da, da da, la da da da, la da, da da.
edit on 28-7-2011 by RRokkyy because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
Conversations with God. It's about meeting and trusting God that resides inside each one of us. It's not religious and it has no agenda except to find God inside yourself.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

Has she read any Hitchens?

CJ
edit on 28-7-2011 by ColoradoJens because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
The Shack, The Celestine Prophecies, Five People You Meet in Heaven

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:22 PM
link   
GOD? she's standing in it!

as a study of nisagadarta's book "i am that" will reveal beyond a shadow of a doubt.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Chariots of the gods

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Ethics for the New Millenium by the Dalai Lama.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
Until you accept a few axioms the bible will not make sense. You need to accept that the whole crucifixion and ressurection were historic events and understand God is an absolute ruler of the heavens and will be of the earth. To be able to accept these things ask God to show you.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   
i really liked the comment on the first page about a blank book and a pen...

But i would have to recommend, "Man's Search for Meaning", by Viktor Frankl. It's a non-religious book and a true story about a psychiatrist (who eventually founds the Third Viennese Scool of Psychology).
Frankl spent some years in a Nazi concentration camp which changed his point of view on psychiatry, God and man.
And somewhat answers questions like, What is suffering? and Why is there evil in the world? and also, how to overcome anxiety...
edit on 29-7-2011 by trika3000 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2011 by trika3000 because: i can't spell

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   

Any book will do, but a nice thick one is best. Webster’s Dictionary, for example, will get her at leas five inches closer to God.

When she stands on it, I mean.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 02:13 AM
link   
The Bhavagad Gita, easily the best!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Eckhart Tolle wrote a book called 'The Power of Now', you can also check him out on youtube.
Please show her Mooji on youtube, i personally think he is excellent at showing the ulimate truth.
Peter Brown and Tony Parsons on youtube.
And i have just discovered Jan Fraziers book 'When fear falls away' and Karen Richards on youtube.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join