It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:17 AM
link   
Tell her to go live in the woods/mountains.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I know this will sound all ridiculous, mystical foolishness but there is one sure-fire method to start on the sojourn. One needs to be alone far away from any influence by civilization. In that place, plead with every fiber of your mind and spirit to be taken onto the Path in TOTAL surrender. When one reaches this plea to the depth of honest-to-the-soul more so than taking another breath on Earth, it will begin.

There may be various religions involved for a number of months, years, or decades, as these are ALL mere stepping stones on the sojourn. But beware. To hold tightly on to any of those stepping stones as you extend into deeper spiritual waters will most ceratinly be the cause of your drowning.

Once the sojourn has begun, there is no turning it off until death. So be ready for never returning to where you are today. There is no off switch. Trying to run outside your sojourn's path will provide admonishment and pain, loss and desolation. It will be your conscience that will take over as the indicator of when you stray from your path. Do not ignore the warnings of your conscience.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
why does she want to be " closer to god " ????????? it doesnt make any sense

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Tell her to write a diary.

Then read it.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
If we didn't have books would god still exist?

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

She doesn't need a book.

She needs '___'.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
If we didn't have books would god still exist?

Take away the books, and religion just turns into a game of telephone.

In other words, it wouldn't change much.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I would reccomend she studies ALL the great books to see the big picture.

Be Well

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:39 AM
link   
Read the Bible. Don't listen to the crap the secular public tells of the religions. Read it for yourself. block out the rest. The Catholic religion is wonderful if you can get through the anti Catholic world spew.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Depends on what her areas of interest are as far as religion. Find a religion/s that pique your interest, then read/study. Studying primary texts isn't a bad idea...everything else is just derived from the central religious texts for the most part.
edit on 29-7-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
Illusions; the adventures of a reluctant Messiah by Richard Bach

Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsh

Way of the Peaceful Warrior by Dan Millman

The Tao of Pooh by some dude

But, depending on your sisters personal beliefs, ANY book could be viewed in this perspective...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Johnathen Livingston Seagull

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Get her this book
"The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah"
this was Richard Bach's second book following Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

My suggestion would be a book by the Gnostic "Belzebuub" called "Peace of the spirit within" for it's depth yet simplicity. It is my belief that the Gnostic methods of experiencing the true nature of reality for yourself and the methods to do so are the most powerful and accurate of any metaphysical teachings on the planet today.

The book contains methods for becoming conscious of your own "consciousness", creating higher dimensional bodies with senses to experience reality other than the 5 of the physical body and navigating through the other dimensions of life with these bodies to continue obtaining Gnowledge from Gnostics who are already in higher dimensions. It also contains astral projection techniques, detailed explanations of the origins of suffering and Gnosticism itself (which is an enormous study).

Why i believe it to be a genuine path to experiencing "god" is because there is no underlying belief system required, only the methods to which you can directly verify the authenticity of the material and reality itself, and because you are experiencing the true nature of reality yourself you can verify it's truth.

If you do not wish to pay for a book, there are courses designed to teach the same materials at the following website: gnosticteachings.org... You can find groups of individuals on the gnostic forums who meet in different locations in the higher dimensions to exchange experiences and knowledge with both human and extraterrestrial entities, the website also contains vast resources including video and topic information gnosticteachings.org...
belzebuub.com...

Hope you find this information useful, and practical.
edit on 29-7-2011 by raiden12 because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2011 by raiden12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by DaddyBare

Get her this book
"The Adventures of a Reluctant Messiah"
this was Richard Bach's second book following Jonathan Livingston Seagull.

You old dog! I thought I'd be the only old fart who knew about JLS!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   
As A Minister there is one thing you need to tell your Sister.
She must educate herself and not have any one steer her in their direction. Yahuah through his Spirit will guide Her if she opens to desire the full truth, the truth being to see where certain practices have originated.
The Best Book as far as examining the roots of modern Christianity (all Forms) can be found in a book costing $9.95 at on Amazon site called Fossilized Customs.
Most Pastors will shudder when they read what has become of their Religions once they open this up, such as i. I have been turned 360 on this knowledge. After much of own research I called the Institute and informed them they forgot or didn't fully research what the Star of Remphan truly was and they may have to re-edit book to update that one very serious fault.
If you need any more guidance on matters concerning Faith you or her can contact me through an e-mail to Sharky54@netzero.net.

May Yausha guide Her and have no man lead Her.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Max Lucado has wonderful books. Joel Osteen also. If she is married or in a relationship, 5 Love Languages by Chapman is good. The BIBLE is the best! That really is the best way to get to know God's love and his desires for our lives.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Instead of having her read a book, just read this sentence:
"Go into a quiet room and be still."

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Ah don't be...
I may be an old devil dog but ya know...
I happen to be quite the scholar.. with the appropriate sheep skins hanging on my office wall to prove it

By the way... his third and final book was a total bust... to bad too... he just never got back his knack after his divorce...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

So someting more along the lines where you can follow a character as they get closer to God would probably be best.

How about that your sister be that character and by helping others in need will bring her closer to God.

Peace

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join