It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
I recommend On Death and Dying and Life After Life. Both very interesting reads. I'm not sure if that's what she has in mind, though.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
'Hi, I'm God. How I Did It' Author: God The Almighty.

This book is an auto-biographical account of how the big fella made everything, light, time, planets, people etc. A good read but gets a bit tedious at times, God kind of prattles on a bit about how he got the idea for genetics. Also there's some revelations(ahem) in here too, like how God didn't even believe in himself until he had the basic concept for the periodic table actually written down on a piece of paper.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Books and faith the in men propagating those books is no way to God.

Listen to your heart and soul, live justly and by the Golden Rule, and you will find that God is closer to you than you think.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
This Tremendous Lover

Don't be turned off (or turned on!
) by the title; its actually one of the best books on Catholic spirituality I've ever read.

I wondered if any modern writer had ever penned a handbook for pursuing a life with Christ in the Catholic Church, until I found this book. Though written by a Trappist Monk around 1945, "This Tremendous Lover" speaks directly to every man and woman who struggles to find room for God amid a hectic life and in a culture often at odds with God's values. From prayer to suffering to the sacraments to marriage to work, "This Tremendous Lover" shows the reader the way to deeper union with Christ, and ultimately to salvation. This is truly a timeless "Introduction to the Devout Life."

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I recommend 'The Genesis Grid' by P.M. Woolford. It will give her an understanding of the Bible that isn't tainted by mainstream religion.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

If your sister truly wants to know God, she can easily do so by. going straight to him and asking him to show her.
He certainly will. As far as reading? the World English Bible is an excellent translation. And if she would like to listen to it she can download the entire bile and listening on her computer, or even moving the mp3 files to her mp3 player and listening as she takes a bath, works etc. when you do this and close your eyes you understand so much more.
Free mp3 bibles can be downloaded at audiotreasure.com

www.audiotreasure.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The History Of God by Karen Armstrong.

Who Wrote the New Testament? -
Burton L. Mack

Two fantastic books. God is a concept, an idea and humans will never get close to "God". Get close to yourself, look inwards, expand your own consciousness - only these things are possible on this planet and these are all that are needed to attain the purest "Spirituality".

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
It doesn't require a book.

All she has to do is talk to him.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by SaturnFX

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
better yet

give her a blank book, and a pen.

know yourself, you will know god

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I was about to write something sarcastic, but then read that...I think that right there wins the thread in my opinion.

The search for a connection is a personal venture, some require books by others, some require simple meditation and finding their own personal truth...so ya, take that guys option...give her a journal and tell her to write about it verses read about it.

Hhhmmm not a fan of the written machinations of man. I recall a quote that says " The word of God is in the creation we behold"
There are so many pages within the macro/micro Universe/ galaxies, Quantum/quarks, the light spectrum, tree rings, rock strata, ice cores, fossils, DNA/genomes, Ocean reefs, etc... but that requires huge amounts of investigation.... best done over a life time and reflected upon within to know something of this world we share and who we are as individuals within it.
Then there is the offspring of humanity... the numbers, the music, the arts... lots to contemplate... any wonder why its a popular option to meditate. Last place I'd go to would be the organised / bowdlerised collection of older stories translated into a bible.
edit on 28-7-2011 by LexiconV because: Life when lived, for the purpose of our creation, is a constant action of editing and adapting rather than trying to control others and our surroundings.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
also if i could add, you should tell her she does not need to get closer to god, god never left her side to begin with.

she does not need salvation, liberation or ascenscion.

nor do any of us

each and every aspect of creation reflect the wholeness of that wich appears separate

that wich is god

that wich is, is that wich it must be.

god makes no mistakes

being with god is simpler that it looks, being human is the complicated part

what god simplifies and makes natural, humans complicate everytime

but thats how it must be

we have to believe

the power of belief recreates the universe at each day

and in universal terms, the universe only lasts a day, but that day lasts forever

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
reply to post by DavidsHope

I have to agree, there is nothing that can compare with just reading the bible and prayer. Most people think of prayer as giving thanks and saying amen. But I prefer to just have conversation with God. My favorite time of day is bedtime. I crawl in bed, read my bible til my eyes begin to droop, then turn out the light and just talk to God. I talk about everything and anything...my day, things or people that I am concerned about, tthe world and universe around me, things in his word that I don't understand. I usually drift off to slip in the middle of this conversation...a perfect ending to my day. This, I think, is one of the things that has brought me closer to God than anything else.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Letters of the Scattered Brotherhood.

Amazing. It's not really a sit down and read it through kind of book. It's more a keep it handy and flip it open in the moment kind of book. The struggle with faith and daily life has changed little through the ages even as the trappings of life change a lot. There is a center to this book that helps me find and keep mine.

I cannot recommend it highly enough.
edit on 28-7-2011 by watcher3339 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The Left Behind series is a good read.

There are, however, a plethora of God's you could choose from which opens the door to many books.

Sort of like a religious Country Buffet if you will.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:00 PM
link   

"The Coming of The Son of Man on Earth" by Maria Cordova

and most importantly "The Bible"

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Balkan
The bible? Btw, you didn't say which God?

(2nd blessed line)
edit on 28-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

The bible is corrupted, that is horrible advice.

OP. Tell her to google starseeds and research ascension and being one with oneself.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:09 PM
link   
If you want to get closer to "God", then this is the only book you'll need:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/4938ebcc2807.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
So someting more along the lines where you can follow a character as they get closer to God would probably be best.

Any suggestions?

Try this A Gift from Daniel

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   
dominicus...I am new here,and this is my first reply...Find the book called,"Steps To Christ",by E.G.White,then find,"The Great Controversy"By E.G White.You tube,"Kenneth Cox".PEACE

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
the bible
the book of Acts specifically the second chapter hope to help

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   

A book called

New Teachings for an Awakening Humanity

It's more spiritual than religious. I promise, if you buy it and dont like it, I will give you your money back.

[size=-8]Disclaimer: The above is not an actual admission that I will give you your money back and no money will be refunded upon purchasing said book
edit on 28-7-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join