It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:10 AM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

Hi Dominicus

I Suggested already 'New teachings for an Awakening Humanity'

But this thread on ATS
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Is definitely an easy to understand tool for self-awareness and responsibility, and as you know, once you learn the I AM, the rest falls into place.

edit on 29-7-2011 by LightAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gunroshin
dominicus...I am new here,and this is my first reply...Find the book called,"Steps To Christ",by E.G.White,then find,"The Great Controversy"By E.G White.You tube,"Kenneth Cox".PEACE

These are really good choices, and they are available online...
Steps to Christ
The Great Controversy

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
The Cross and the Switchblade.
Would be a good start,,a very moving book and true story.

written by

David Wilkerson,

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:41 AM
link   
You dont need a book to get closer to god. id tell her to start off by simply stating to god her desire for a deeper relationship/ connection with him. start praying and meditating.. might also mention that her prayers to him shouldnt feel forced you know like saying yeh god how art thou lol thats sillyness. tell her to talk to him like she would a best friend. he is afterall a bestfriend. ive referred to god as "dude" before in my irritation. the key is knowing god loves YOU for YOU and not what religion thinks you should be.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:49 AM
link   
The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

written by L. Frank Baum
illustrated by W. W. Denslow.

Originally published by the George M. Hill Company in Chicago on May 17, 1900

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by concerned24

You dont need a book to get closer to god

Exactly. Lateral things such as god or most spiritual concept don't require texts or even belief. If a somewhat supernatural occurrence occurs, then it occurs.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   
Start with Richard Dawkins - The God delusion, if she still wants to find God after reading that then at least she will be committed.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:16 AM
link   
The best way to get closer to God is telling Him that's what you want. Ask Him, Pray and Meditate.

The second step is simple too. Worship God thru service the people in need.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:34 AM
link   

The Mystic Christ

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Somehumanbeing

Originally posted by dominicus
Shes has experience when relaxing in a bath to go deep within and in letting go and has also had fleeting mystical experiences before......... just as somewhat of a background.

I might try urinating while taking a bath myself if it means i'll have a "mystical experience". Interesting.

Just do not try it in the sea!!

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I would suggest the Paralandra trilogy from C.S. LEWIS.

Written in a fiction style, but closer to the truth.

Any of his fiction is great. And stays in a christian framework.

Srewtape letters is another great book by him.

Cheers

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:00 AM
link   
One of the best books I've read recently is "The Final Quest" by Rick Joyner. Just google it to find an e-bookstore. I used to sell it through one of my sites, but I closed it down earlier this year. Bad timing I guess...

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

One of the best books out there at the moment to increase your God perspective is Lorna Byrnes - Angels in my Hair. Its the story of an Irish mystic who speak with angels.The book is absolutely amazing and a must read for anyone whether your religious or not.This woman was written off in school and in her youth because she had severe learning dificultys, life was always a struggle,but from a young age she was vistied by beings that she only later discovered were angels.She writes about how they helped her take control of her life, an amazing gift that lifted her from obscurity.her books are very gentle in nature and non denominational she doesnt ram religion down your neck in fact she's not even religious.

www.youtube.com...

Her second book is called Stairways to Heaven and is also an incredible read, but i wuld read her first book before i would move to the second.

edit on 29-7-2011 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

edit on 29-7-2011 by auraelium because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   

There is a guy who preaches the gospel and his name is Wayne Montbleau of Loving Grace Ministries.
There is no better preacher in this day and age in my humble opinion. This is the God she should be exposed to. So many others are false deceptions designed to glorify the preacher rather than the deity. Wayne meticulously follows and retells the words and life of Jesus Christ. I wouldn't trust my sister in any other preachers hands. He is great. There are tapes and sermons you can buy or listen to. Here is the link to www.lovinggrace.org...
edit on 29-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 08:33 AM
link   
Forget books. Take her to the mountains.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

As always with ats and any "God" related post, the first few responses are usually atrocious flames of subjective bias from the other side of the looking glass.

Yeah, it's amazing that the simplest request is met with such mean-spirited responses. I think you were pretty clear in the OP as to what you were looking for and you've been "rewarded" with a diatribe of hateful and demeaning responses.

As for the bible, its a little too heavy for her.

Someone else already suggested the Left Behind series, but I'm going to mention it again because you said she likes books like the Twilight series and Left Behind is actually written in a similar vein. Most people find it quite enjoyable to read.

If she is interested in the Bible but finds most versions of it too dry, she might consider the Message. It's more of a paraphrase than a translation, but many people that refuse to read the Bible because it's too dry have embraced the Message.

Another book she might consider is "Evidence that Demands a Verdict". It was written by a self-proclaimed atheist who decided to write a book condemning Christianity and during his research found himself instead being swayed to belief. The book outlines the evidence he discovered.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Ones personal journey with God is personal. No one but one's self can help. All one must do is ask God.

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
the bible
second line

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by justsaying
Conversations with God. It's about meeting and trusting God that resides inside each one of us. It's not religious and it has no agenda except to find God inside yourself.

Let me be the fifth person in this thread to recommend this book(s).
It's an easy accessible read, a perfect book to develop self-awareness and to gain some insight in the concept 'God'.

Also Eckhart Tolle's work gives an enlightening read.

If she wants stories:

'Life and teachings of the masters of the far east', Baird T. Spalding
'One', Richard Bach (and actually all of his works)

edit on 29/7/11 by Movhisattva because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 29 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I recommend "Experiencing God", by Henry Blackaby. Also, "The Truth Project", featuring Dr. Del Tackett, available on dvd. The first helped me draw closer to God. The second helped me see Him in everything around me.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join