It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
As some of you guys here on ats my know about me and the countless personal experiences i have posted about when it comes to finding God or the Absolute truth.

Well now my dillema is that my younger sister, 26, wants me to giveher a basic book that describes sort of a how to guide to get closer to God. And i cant think of one.

Here i am studying nonduality, gnostics, plato, majamudra, desert fathers and all the deepest philosopho-mystical-theological hardcoreness i can find and having myself all these profound insights and God like experiences but this request completely stumps me.

As for my sis, shes been to church and likes to read all those stupid true blood and eclipse vamp book series. So someting more along the lines where you can follow a character as they get closer to God would probably be best. Shes has experience when relaxing in a bath to go deep within and in letting go and has also had fleeting mystical experiences before......... just as somewhat of a background.

Any suggestions?

+2 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:19 PM
link   
The bible? Btw, you didn't say which God?

(2nd blessed line)
edit on 28-7-2011 by Balkan because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by dominicus
Shes has experience when relaxing in a bath to go deep within and in letting go and has also had fleeting mystical experiences before......... just as somewhat of a background.

I might try urinating while taking a bath myself if it means i'll have a "mystical experience". Interesting.

link   
neale donald walsh,it restored a bit of faith in me.

link   
reply to post by dominicus

How about "Getting Close to God for Dummies"?

Because the only person who thinks they can come to know God through a book is a dummy.

The search for such a thing is only internal, that should be obvious.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I have 2 suggestions for her. "The Shack" by Wm Paul Young, a novel, and "Walking with God" by John Eldredge, more of a how-to.

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
better yet

give her a blank book, and a pen.

know yourself, you will know god

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Harry Potter Series.

That did it for me. I mean, at the end of the movie in the tunnel... it's all white and heavenly. I can only assume that is heaven then. And Dumbledor is actually God, by the way.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
The End of Faith by Sam Harris.

link

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
music. some music connects you to God in a way that you have to experience it to describe.

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
the most direct literature on how to meet your god..

www.euthanasia.com...

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
The bible would
be a good start I think..

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnotherYOU
better yet

give her a blank book, and a pen.

know yourself, you will know god

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

I was about to write something sarcastic, but then read that...I think that right there wins the thread in my opinion.

The search for a connection is a personal venture, some require books by others, some require simple meditation and finding their own personal truth...so ya, take that guys option...give her a journal and tell her to write about it verses read about it.

link   
reply to post by AnotherYOU

@AnotherYou

Good answer...lol I definitely agree with you.. God is a mindset that we discover within ourselves,,

link   

Originally posted by Balkan
The bible?

(2nd blessed line)

Good choice.

OP, your sister might want to try a modern language translation though as all of the thees, thous, begets, and whatnot can be confusing for a beginner.

ETA: She should also focus on the New Testament. The Old Testament is largely the history of Israel in relation to God, and although it contains much knowledge about the beginnings of the faith, for a beginner it's not that important. The New Testament is where the meat is.

Also, Mere Christianity by C.S. Lewis (of The Chronicles of Narnia fame) is considered a classic book for new Christians and non-Christians who want to learn about the faith.

I wish her all the best in her search for the truth that is the Holy Word of God.
edit on 7/28/2011 by OldCorp because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
The bible would
be a good start I think..

Or the Koran

(thought she was seeking God, didn't say religion)

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by dominicus

So my sister wants to get closer to God, wants a book. Suggestions?

IF god is real
then she doesn't need any book, especially the bible, as a relationship with It should be possible through prayer alone...

If she truly wants to closer to god, all she has to do is believe...

With that said, I feel dirty now...anyone got a wet-wipe..?

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
If you're working from a fairly Bibliocentric perspective,

The Practice of the Presence of God by Brother Lawrence

The Pursuit of God by A.W. Tozer

And although cliched by a shallow and superficial culture, In His Steps by Charles M. Sheldon is pretty classic.

A couple others I just thought of, Life on the Highest Plane by Ruth Paxson and Normal Christian Life by Watchman Nee (Nee To-sheng).

edit on 28-7-2011 by quadagent because: additional resources

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
...the purpose driven life

posted on Jul, 28 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
Tanakh/Bible/Koran. RInse lather repeat

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join