It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lady who falls into fountain while texting, sues, and gets charged with alleged theft.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Source

The woman at the center of a new viral video -- after she fell into the fountain of a Pennsylvania mall while sending a text message -- told Good Morning America Thursday she's looking into her legal options in the wake of the humiliating incident. Cathy Cruz Marrero, a 49-year-old who works in the Berkshire mall in Wyomissing, PA. said she was texting a church friend who wanted to know what her and her husband's birthdays were, when she lost her focus and careened into the fountain, emerging from it saturated.

WOW just wow

How stupid can people get these days crying out loud.

This lady falls into the fountain because she was texting her birth date to her "church friend." Apparently thats way too important to wait. She went public and wanted attention.

But the story doesn't end there!

Fountain-Falling Texter in Court for Alleged Theft

The problems continue to pile up for the Pennsylvania woman who became the unwitting star of a viral video after she fell into a mall fountain while text messaging.

In the hours that followed Cathy Cruz Marrero's appearance on "Good Morning America" today to talk about the fall and its aftermath, she was in court for a status hearing on charges of five felony counts, including theft by deception and receiving stolen property.

Marrero, 49, was charged in October 2009 for allegedly using a coworker's credit cards to make more than $5,000 in purchases at a Target and a Zales jewelry store -- $1,055 of those purchases were dismissed from the case in previous hearings.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

This lady and her freaking lawyer need to be sued for stupidity. How is it the malls fault that she was texting and walked into a fountain. I mean this stretching ones hand out for a quick dollar settlement and the lawyer knows it. the mall will have to spend thousands defending themselves and in the long run it would be cheaper for the insurance company to give her 5-grand...she makes 2500 and the lawyer makes 2500 for a couple of phone calls and a letter.

The judge if it even gets to a judge should sanction the attorney and make her pay all the leagl cost associated with this stupid case. trouble with the video but I did watch it and it seems the mall security people released the video on you tube...I still do not think there is liability but...I first thought she was sueing for inuries or something but this is a public place and she has no expectations of privacy so I do not believe she has a case. Since her additional legal troubles have poped up she is most likely really done for.
edit on 7/20/2011 by DJMSN because: add line

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
Shes suing because there were no rails for her to grab onto?

What a weak story... Obviously she is too focused on materialistic crap and her phone to pay any kind of attention to her surroundings... Its no wonder we are screwed as a species...

Awww they laughed at me! my feelings blah blah blah...LOL

The only laws I support anymore are driving while texting/talking on a cell phone with it to your ear... That shiz is dangerous!

Atleast she admits it at the end... DONT TEXT AND WALK PEOPLE! She even says she could have walked into a bus and not known... And remind me, shes suing why again? lol

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
And now because of this piece of trash and her lawsuit, we will all pay in increased prices of day to day purchases. The only winners here are the corporations with justification of inflated prices and her with a fat bank account.

But that's ok because she'll be set for life. Doesn't matter about the rest of us.

Oh well, anything for a buck right?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by morder1
Shes suing because there were no rails for her to grab onto?

The only laws I support anymore are driving while texting/talking on a cell phone with it to your ear... That shiz is dangerous!

Agree with everything but this.

We don't need laws to cover all of us because a few stupid people can't be bothered.

That's how we get too many laws passed. Use the stupid ones as an example to put us all underfoot.

Respectfully.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
One word that is the bane of modern society.

"Litigation"

Don't take responsibility for your own actions when things go wrong, simply sue and capitalise.

I have to wonder though, if there was a hand-rail around the fountain and she chipped a tooth on it, would she be suing because the local council hadn't put up warning signs and covered the hand-rail with padding?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:28 PM
link   
reply to post by OccamAssassin

As you cann see from my post I agree whole heartedly with your statements but she is sueing because the mall released the video and put it on you-tube but no doubt the shark in the suit is looking at it from all angles.
edit on 7/20/2011 by DJMSN because: add line

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I believe that's why it has been made illegal to walk & text in PA
it now carries a $120 fine

www.abovetopsecret.com...

like i tell my kids as we walk through a store . . . PAY ATTENTION!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by balon0

Just another vexatious litigator. Me and a bud were talking about her the other day…about suing others for their own stupidity.

At the time of the conversation, I called her a bimbo.

Being the politically correct person that he is asked, “Really? You’re going to go there?”

Yep!

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:56 PM
link   
"In the hours that followed Cathy Cruz Marrero's appearance on "Good Morning America" today to talk about the fall and its aftermath, she was in court for a status hearing on charges of five felony counts, including theft by deception and receiving stolen property.

Marrero, 49, was charged in October 2009 for allegedly using a coworker's credit cards to make more than $5,000 in purchases at a Target and a Zales jewelry store -- $1,055 of those purchases were dismissed from the case in previous hearings."

So, I wonder what church she attends....

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
sue them because your feelings got hurt..give me a break! Why not just own up to what happened. Hey, I know its sucks but # happens. how is it that there is nobody close enough to her, with enough common sense to let her know shes acting foolish to turn around and try to pursue this pointless case. we all make stupid mistakes sometimes, its what makes us human. own up.

posted on Jul, 21 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   
This whole sue happy thing that's plagued our country for the past 15 years is way out of control. This is one of the most idiotic ones ive heard of yet. Some people really need to wakeup.

If this would have happened to me, i would have climbed out and laughed along with everyone else. Its not the Malls fault to have a Fountain there. Incidents like this cease to amaze me.

Oh and P.S. People like this should be heavily Fined, Its Idiotic cases like this that eat up all kinds of unnecessary time and spending for both local Government and its taxpayers.
edit on 21-7-2011 by Pegasus2000 because: added Content

new topics

top topics

join