It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unprecedented 1 in 66 Americans is a diagnosed psychotic

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

I gave no indications that I can't handle another opinion.

I asked for evidence to back up your statement that most people in society are psychopathic, and that this is even remotely debated amongst professionals.

If this was mere opinion, I would expect a decently responsible individual to state it as such. You didn't. Instead, you coped out by trying to con me into believing this was debated by professionals. I have yet to see any evidence of this.

If you are aware that you're spreading false information, then you're violating T & C.

For the sake of the community, I ask that you stop being intellectually dishonest, and attacking me with false accusations.

edit on 20-7-2011 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Forevever
didn't there used to be an old saying 1 in 4 people are crazy, look at all your friends, are they normal? then you're it!!!

...i remember that...

...it think its gone up to 3 out of 5 but thats probably an under-estimation...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

LOL yeah I'm a product of the 80's, its probably gone up since then

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by unityemissions

If you are aware that you're spreading false information, then you're violating T & C.

...if thats what you believe - report me...

Please stop being intellectually dishonest, and attacking me with false accusations.

...i didnt seek you out, dear... you came after me...

...there is no rational reason for you to get so upset over this... i state my opinions just like everyone else does on this website... there are literally thousands of opinions posted that offer no documentation to back up those opinions... so, obviously, stating one's opinion is not against t&c... if you dont approve of my opinions, thats fine...

...lets move on to more productive posts... okay?...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wyn Hawks

...there is no rational reason for you to get so upset over this...

Yes, there is. Allow me to explain.

i state my opinions just like everyone else does on this website... there are literally thousands of opinions posted that offer no documentation to back up those opinions... so, obviously, stating one's opinion is not against t&c... if you dont approve of my opinions, thats fine...

...lets move on to more productive posts... okay?...

First you made a statement, which you presented as a fact, but now claim it's an opinion.

You then attempted to back up this claim with a false statement.

The reason it's not only reasonable, but conscionable for me to continue on, is because of the potential harm such a rash statement could cause other people.

The notion that the majority of society is psychopathic is scary for anyone who can feel complex emotions. Suggesting this is the case, and then attempting to say that professionals may think along these lines, is highly irresponsible, and may further the likelihood that the original "opinion" would inflict harm on others.

If you can't back up that statement, delete it, or rephrase it so that it implies this is your opinion. If you fail to do so, I will alert the staff.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
related but not directed
google search: percentage of people who are psychopaths debate

lot of interesting sources and differing opinions - I'm not inclined to check out credentials though ♥

wiki quote (don't shoot me)

As part of the larger debate on whether personality disorders are distinct from normal personality, or if they are extremes on various dimensions of normal personality, is the debate on whether psychopathy represents something "qualitatively different" from normal personality, or a "continuous dimension" shading from normality into severely psychopathic. Otto Kernberg believed psychopathy should fall under a spectrum of pathological narcissism, that ranged from narcissistic personality on the low end, malignant narcissism in the middle, and psychopathy at the high end

Could be interpreted that we're all psychopaths
at least to some extent

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 01:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

Incorrect.

The linked article states that pathological narcissism can be thought of as being on a spectrum. At the extreme end is what is referred to as psychopathy.

Everyone has narcissism. Not everyone is pathologically narcissistic.

Further, not every pathological narcissist will be psychopathic.

If someone is not considered to display pathological narcissism on a continuous basis, then they can't be considered to be even remotely psychopathic. It's an extreme form of pathology.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Thru this thread I'm getting a pretty good idea of who the narcissists and bat **** self absorbed people whose mind is on vacation but their mouth is working overtime, are.

Thanks Mose Allison for the new euphemism; I plan on using it frequently.
edit on 20-7-2011 by whaaa because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by unityemissions

thats ok I dont mind being wrong - I didn't really read it that well
but I still think everyone suffers from every possible mental illness
it only becomes a problem when its out of balance.

oh oops, apparently I didn't read you that well either
thats what I said... twice now....
edit on 20-7-2011 by Forevever because:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 02:07 PM
link   

If you can't back up that statement, delete it, or rephrase it so that it implies this is your opinion. If you fail to do so, I will alert the staff.

...your irrational demands and threats are wasted on me... btw, you have lots of posts of your own that offer no documentation to back up your statements... so, when you're reporting me, report yourself too...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Give me a break, antibiotics a "cure"

You have a bacterial infection. A doctor prescribes you antibiotics. The infection disappears. Now unless magic is real, those antibiotics cured that infection.

What about the big 2 - Cancer & HIV/AIDS...

You don't really believe they will ever make a "cure" known to the public, do you? They would lose TRILLIONS.

Of course they would. Think of it like a race, Pfizer, Glaxo Smith Kline, Novartis, Astra Zeneca and the rest all competing against each other to be the first one to find a cure for cancer, AIDS or any other disease. If they did, then they would be able to patent it and would make a ridiculous amount of money, whilst their rival companies would not.

They could also use the fact that they cured cancer for decades afterwards as a marketing technique.

"Hey, that's the drug company that cured cancer, their painkillers must be better than that rival brands."

Bearing in mind though, a single cure for all cancer probably wont exist, it is a wide range of diseases. There will be no magic bullet that kills every single form of cancer.

Edit to add a few links:

AIDS vaccine showing promising result in monkeys

Monkey HIV vaccine effective say researchers

AIDS vaccine in final testing
edit on 20/7/2011 by Griffo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
There is a big difference between ADHD medications and mental illness medications. That is like comparing them to alzheimers medications. Two completely different fields.

Many of the people who need the psychotropic medications take multiple ones. First Abilify is a new drugs strictly for bipolar disorder, that is having some success and is much less dangerous then lithium.

See all people hear is: more drugs are being administered. They don't stop to understand the why.

Lithium works very well. It is also dangerous. So a less potent and deadly drug like abilify allows more people with bipolar disorder to take it, without having to have their livers constantly monitored and their lives shortened.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
I have been diagnosed with OCD.
It has made my life a living hell.
However I made the conscious decision to go to a psycologist instead of a psychiatrist. The difference is that a psycologist cannot prescribe medicine and uses other techniques to give you the tools to cope with anxiety and depression.
Some people are so bad they can't function without medication. Unfortunately, there is a large percentage of people who rely solely on pills to get well. You cannot imagine how grave this mistake is. Especially when there are many and severe side effects, plus not every med works on every person.
With this post I don't try to say "gee see how strong I am, I don't need pills". Some nights I have longed for a pill because I was that close killing myself. But we have to understand, pills DO NOT SOLVE THE PROBLEM.
Thank you and good luck

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
I used to conduct market research surveys for Pharmaceutical companies with Doctors regarding new and untested drugs. These Doctors would receive $600 to $1000 dollars doing a 10 minute survey to promote the drug and use it in they're practice. The Doctors would complete multiple surveys usually on they're breaks. Next thing you know the drug would be taken off the market for killing/harming people. The whole thing would start up again with new drugs and new surveys. A doctor can make tons of extra money for promoting bad drugs.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:51 PM
link   
reply to post by Signals

Because there is no cure for quite a few mental illness.

There sure isn't a cure for something like schizophrenia.
Hell, there's not a cure for a LOT of diseases, but it's easier to just rattle off common sayings because they sound gooood.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

Mediation IS constructive though You're dealing directly with the emotions and problems and actually going over them, sorting through them, coming to terms, "closure" etc. which are all constructive methods.

Sorry, I guess it was just your wording that through me off. I was under the impression that you were trying to restrain or supress your emotions completely. But I see what your saying now... and for those with "anger" issues. I suggest taking your frustations out PHYSICALLY. Yes, physically. Find creative ways to get that "venom" out of you. The more you carry, the more of a burden it can become.

I know it sounds crazy but just take it in. "Something" IS making you wanting to explode, vent, get angry, yell at people... so let it out. Again, there's a time and place for everything, and sometimes when you think you should explode. Don't, because it's the WORST time to do it. Look in the mirror, and ask why?

Why am I upset?

What is it that he/she is saying/doing that's bothering/angering/enraging me?

Once you've IDENTIFIED the above, that's where the original "why?" comes in.

Why does "x" enrage me?

Find your roots...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
1 in 66?

So... 4500 Americans?

That's it? Very conservative indeed.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nastradamus

That "crazy" has to go somewhere... it's either constructive, or destructive; period.
It's not wise to block out these thoughts, you're having them for a reason. It's your own responsibility to find the root of these thoughts or let them manifest overtime into something MUCH worse.

being very creative and able to solve problems served me well in life.
i did r & d in the service and for private companies very successfully.

i also knew that my judgement was not always up to par, and that my energy was likely to eventually get me in trouble.
i was a little crazy, but everyone ignored it since i was useful.

i did landscaping and sports to use up my physical energy, and volunteer work allowed me to be a useful member of society, be creative, and filter my energies so as to protect myself.

by working with various non profits, i could e-mail an attorney or a person whose judgement i trusted, before i did something.

and although not Jewish, the rabbis always had time for my questions, very grateful for that.

i repaid everyone by helping make their projects become real.

but i know better than to trust my own ideas before checking someone else's advice.

and i function without medication.

maybe nobody is perfect, we just have to learn to deal with our limitations.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   
I think people have some misconception that we are supposed to wake up happy and feel good every single day. I was raised with the walk it off mentality. Ya I wake up feeling like crap some days and sometimes I just want to throttle someone or cry my eyes out but then there are those days when I wake up and the birds are singing and I don't ache head to toe and I APPRECIATE those days because I know how precious they are. I can enjoy those times with a clear mind not in a drug induced haze. No one alters my brain chemistry but me!

Not to worry though all I will soon be a mindless unfeeling zombie drooling on myself just like the rest of the world because the chemicals now pour freely from my faucet.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

i was offered anti physcotics, but ended up on efforax (?) 8 weeks dose left me with agrophobia and panic attacks. total nonsense

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join