It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

An unprecedented 1 in 66 Americans is a diagnosed psychotic

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I delved into this awhile back here:

www.abovetopsecret.com...
150,000,000 Americans Classified as Mentally ILL for Profit

There are a number of great vids on the thread and some great info as well.

Sadly, the actual numbers are not a true representation of the American public and its Mental Health because the numbers are skewed in our "Get Well Instantly" society that has been brainwashed into thinking that a simple case of the blues is a medical condition.

A few points:

1. How many friends, family, co-workers do you know that are on some sort of M&M to make them 'Feel Better'?

2. How many of the other people don't tell you they are on these M&M's because of a social stigma or personal shame?

3. Why is your family doctor allowed to be paid to prescribe a drug that even he/she may know nothing about and has a sketchy test history.

4. Lastly, WHY? Why are people rushing to the doctor to say "I seen this commercial last night about a drug called *%(&#^%$ and I need that!

Thanks for the thread to keep this in the light!

SnF

edit on 20-7-2011 by jude11 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
i'd say that sounds about right 1 in 66,i once heard 1 in 100 in the us are psychopaths

One thing i noticed when i moved to this country from the UK was all the commercials you have here for prescription drugs. Then 6-12 monthes later you see a commercial for lawyers asking if you took drug A and if so you can sue! Or i'd see a commercial about Drug A and that its being recalled for causing death. I was so surprised but when asking people its like it just the most normal thing in the world.
I don't know what to think.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
It's not really all that big of a surprise. Anybody with any personality or who actually experiences normal human emotions has a problem these days and needs to be on medication.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Good Thread ... I could believe 1 in 66 ... sounds about right.

Anyway, can someone please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Aren't sociopaths people who lack a conscience and empathy?

Maybe they have a conscience but it isn't actively engaged. After all, sociopaths do unconsionable things to others w/o a care or a thought ... zero guilt and even less remorse.

Would you agree with some studies and stats that support this -- "1 in every 20 people are sociopaths"?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

I'm sure it's much worse than that. If you ever read my old post about God, and what it is exactly he did to us, you would realize just how bad things are. He hacked up our DNA and made us sickley, it even says so in the bible, but not in exact words. We are suppose to live 1000 years, and healthy, but not after what God did to us as several punishments. Why do we worship and praise this guy, can someone explain this to me?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jana12
Aren't sociopaths people who lack a conscience and empathy?

Maybe they have a conscience but it isn't actively engaged. After all, sociopaths do unconsionable things to others w/o a care or a thought ... zero guilt and even less remorse.

...psychopathy and sociopathy have a wide spectrum... many people think they are all like charlie manson or ted bundy but thats not true... many are successful law-abiding people, albeit often harsh to be around...

...theres a great thread on here about psychopaths in the workplace... you might want to check it out...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Originally posted by Jana12
Would you agree with some studies and stats that support this -- "1 in every 20 people are sociopaths"?

...i think thats too low but its probably based upon diagnosed sociopaths rather than all sociopaths...

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Nastradamus

I do have a list of issues that needed to be resolved, and for the most part I think I have reached some closure with them. I recently realized that my day to day depression comes from constant pain. Sometimes it is easy to manage, and others it is not. I refuse to take any type of prescription pain killer, and honestly feel that the sweet leaf doesn't work for me. When my pain is not so bad, I have a lot of anxiety that I cannot finish a task before it worsens.

I have always tried to avoid recognizing the pain, and it took me a long time to realize that the pain is mostly what makes me freak out on people from time to time. Several trips to the looney bin didn't uncover it. The shrinks would look at my record and automatically assume it was PTSD, and I also have carried labels like bipolar or schizoaffective.

Meditation is a way for me to seperate my body and mind.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
While i'm not psychotic.
I try to be as fair and honest and good to people as i can.
But i find that no one else is playing by the same rules.
This leads me to being taken advantage or people thinking i'm a fool or crazy.
Sometimes i feel i belong to another age.
Then i remember man kind has always sucked.
I don't know i feel out of place today.
Any body else feel this way?
If so God bless you and God help you.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 09:53 PM
link   
What is normal nowadays anyway? Like Stephen King said: "I think we're all mentally ill, some are just better at hiding it than others."

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by whaaa

i appreciate and respect your opinion. like many others on ATS you have a dislike for Big Pharma.

as a person who is now able to live reasonably well thanks to the help of pharmaceuticals, doctors and 10 years of effort, i have to wonder if i'm the only person in America taking all these meds.

if there were other people being helped by medication, surely at least one person on ATS would know them from being a co-worker, a neighbor or a relative.

another possibility is that many folks who hate Big Pharma have very small families, or they just keep to themself.

you all can count me as one person whose life has vastly improved from being medicated and being helped by doctors.

no, i'm not employed in the medical or pharmaceutical field. i have nothing to gain at all by sharing this.

i just realize there are many intelligent ATS members, and i want to share with them the other side of the coin.

many people may be surprised at how many mentally ill people there are in most neighborhoods. out and about, driving, food shopping, mowing the lawn.

adults have a choice as to whether or not they take medications. just as adults who are parents or guardians of children have the choice whether or not their children are to take medication.

there are a incredible amount of really large people in the county where i live. i know some neighbors who have to take medications that try to combat their poor lifestyle choices. from the outside looking in, it's easy to see some of these people could simply choose to consume whole healthy foods and many of their health problems would vanish, along with excess body weight. instead, they choose to eat as if they are 11 year olds who were left home alone for the weekend.

when a person who does not exercise or eat well for 30, 40, 50, 60 years walks into a doctors office and is willing to take medication but ignores the basic advice the doctor gives them, who is to blame?

my doctor was about to give me a third anti-cholesterol medication when i finally snapped out of the fog. i've seen enough good threads here on ATS about the dangers of some medications but mostly junk foods, snacks and soda. i finally took responsibility for myself.

i stopped eating a white trash / fast food / 12 Coca-Cola a day diet and started eating well. just weeks (?) ago i could only stand for about 5 minutes and my lower back would really hurt. i've lost 37lbs so far. now i can push a lawnmower for 15 minutes before taking a break. a friend who is a body builder taught me better ways of cooking and eating. now a stick of butter lasts a good month at least; i used to buy a LB a week.

my goal is to be well enough so i take no anti-cholesterol medication at all.

my points are:

1. there are people who are helped by anti-psychotic medications / mental health meds

2. adults have the choice to take meds, or to have their children take meds, or to not take meds

3. if you are a trainwreck and you don't take doctor's advice, sometimes all thats left is meds

4. there are people who eat poorly and never exercise but their doctor still has to address their wellness

This is my two cents, my personal opinion, nothing more. Those that want to rage at me, go take it out on your usual outlet, I don't need anonymous venom. I will gladly discuss things like an adult if you care to.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by LargeFries

Actually I'm not against people taking medication to feel better. I'm against the pharmaceutical industry making obscene profits on peoples misery, their shady business practices and their influence in Washington thru bribery and corruption.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:36 PM
link   
And they put antipsychotics in the water for free, too! How kind, right?

Welcome to the Brave New World.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
When I graduated high school I went to college far from home, didn't know anyone, and got really homesick. I was awfully depressed and couldn't even go to class. I went to the counselor and they referred me to a psychologist who thought i might be bipolar, so they put me on zyprexa which didnt make me feel any better and threw off my hormones so bad I had two menstrual cycles in a month and started lactating.

Then they put me on another drug that was strangely meant for people with seizures, along with abilify, and the drugs continued wreaking havoc on my hormones and making me feel ill so I quit cold turkey, and I have been much happier since then after moving home and getting a job and getting out of that toxic environment.

I am totally against using antidepressants these days and found that I could handle stress by talking things out with people I love and doing things i enjoy and find relaxing.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:37 PM
link   
Terry Moran of Channel 7 News (ABC TV Newsline out of New York City) aired a Special Report this evening, "Beyond Belief".

The show was a one-time, one-hour 'Nightline Special'. I've provided details since this is an international site and there are several videos out there titled "Beyond Belief".

I think if you go to their website Nightline - ABC News www.abcnews.go.com/Nightline
Primetime Nightline ... Do You Believe in the Devil -- Beyond Belief? you can watch the on-line video.

It's worth reviewing and in my opinion, it specifically applies to this Thread/Topic.
edit on 20-7-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

edit on 20-7-2011 by Jana12 because: typo

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

3. Why is your family doctor allowed to be paid to prescribe a drug that even he/she may know nothing about and has a sketchy test history.

Any of us who seek out treatment by medication are often part of the test history. Another poster mentioned the commercials rounding up people who have used certain medications for class action suits. I think that people have been part of the test history for as long as someone has been trying to cure another. I blame our doctors today, much less than the pharmco's, but I do believe most doctors understand the majority of the risks to the patient. The drug companies do have a legitimate high cost overhead, but does it morally justify open trials on an unsuspecting public?

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
reply to post by tamusan

2. adults have the choice to take meds, or to have their children take meds, or to not take meds
3. if you are a trainwreck and you don't take doctor's advice, sometimes all thats left is meds

I've read articles here on ATS about parents not having any choice if their children take medication. How many people are coerced into taking pills they don't need?
edit on 20-7-2011 by tamusan because: left out a word

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Take a long walk with your dogs...

Sit by the creek..

Stare into the creek...

It'll set you right.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
OP did you know most of the "conspiracy" theorist have mental disorders themselves.

1) They have no friends, spend all day online posting "conspiracy". they are extremely paranoid. Just look at everyone in here.

Though there are some genuine people that are interested in this type of discussion lots of the people have mental and or neurological disorder.

posted on Jul, 20 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by atomicn
OP did you know most of the "conspiracy" theorist have mental disorders themselves.

1) They have no friends, spend all day online posting "conspiracy". they are extremely paranoid. Just look at everyone in here.

Though there are some genuine people that are interested in this type of discussion lots of the people have mental and or neurological disorder.

If you would have read the thread you would have noticed that I said my boots weren't laced all the way to the top.
Why are you here? Perhaps you have a hole in your marble bag as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join