It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: 4,000 Potential Phone Hacking Victims

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:34 AM
link   
A friend posted this on facebook :

Cameron under rapidly increasing scrutiny, and just like that Murdoch scuttles a 168 year old newspaper. Worse than the NOTW crimes I suspect - there's a very strong smell of urgent give-them-a-body crisis management. What DIDN'T we get to?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
The impact this will have on Murdoch or his News Corporation empire will be minimal. He'll simply wait out the furor and start up a new paper, with new management but the same old sleazy policies. I can only imagine how many phones are being tapped, voicemails hacked, or cell phones "pretexted" here in America by his "investigators". Hopefully the British national conscience is awake to the fact this guy is a sleazeball after this scandal and will seek to limit his media ambitions there in the UK. I think it's too late here in the States.

edit on 7-7-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Some clever bugger, or forward planning?

5.31pm: As speculation turns to the space left by the News of the World, my colleague Chris Moran has spotted that the domain name thesunonsunday.co.uk was registered a mere two days ago.

Grauniad blog
edit on 7-7-2011 by lazernation because: eta

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Blackmarketeer

I hope this is the tipping point and we finally stand up to Murdoch, but much like you guys, His tentacles are already everywhere.... he owns the most popular papers in the UK.

If the deal with BSKYB goes through, that'll be another massive acquisition.

Politicians are either scared or in bed with him, police, apparently, are on the pay-roll.

We'll see, I hope we send him packing.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   

Its a trash paper that sells seedy stories of footballers affairs.devotes vast resources to making big brother fame whore no talent shcmucks famous so they can get milage out of them before breaking them too. throw in your weekly pedophile story and colour pics of gangland scum in the centre pullouts,its a trash paper.

your correct.. it is a trash paper in the same ilk as the sun (sister paper)

but along with all that, there is no denying they did break some huge stories and scandels, with their undercover investigations.. mostly celebrity but also alot of high profile people, politicians, police, high ranking officials, big businessmen, sportsmen with their lies, deception, bribery and sordid antics..

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
This is not going to hurt them at all:

"One media observer said it looked like his father Rupert Murdoch preferred to sacrifice the newspaper rather than his chief executive Rebekah Brooks. The move opens the way for a seven-day Sun newspaper which it is believed News International has been planning for some time."

I sincerely hope that everybody refuses to buy The Sun in disgust but I doubt it.
edit on 7-7-2011 by mc1km because: correction.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
It's pretty likely that this is all just going to be a rebranding exercise. I expect it won't be too long till News Corp brings out a new paper... or they'll just expand another one like The Sun.
Not that they will, but I hope journalists learn a BIG lesson from this that phone hacking is not an acceptable form of investigation.
What is interesting, and I'm not sure if this is happening everywhere, is that my girlfriend told me yesterday that at her parents shop subscribers had been asking which papers were News Corp ones and therefore changed their subscription to something else.
edit on 7-7-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

edit on 7-7-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   
reply to post by nakiannunaki

So many phones were hacked and Scotland Yard did not know about this?

Why hadn't they noticed this? News folk getting scoops they shouldn't have not suspicious or was it that well hidden?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zamini
reply to post by nakiannunaki

So many phones were hacked and Scotland Yard did not know about this?

Why hadn't they noticed this? News folk getting scoops they shouldn't have not suspicious or was it that well hidden?

I have worked for both News International and at Scotland Yard and i can honestly say they were both as seedy as each other.. you can just tell when an atmosphere is contaminated with dishonest people. I guess that's why my stay in both those entities were short lived!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Noviz
It's pretty likely that this is all just going to be a rebranding exercise. I expect it won't be too long till News Corp brings out a new paper... or they'll just expand another one like The Sun.

Domain name:
thesunonsunday.co.uk

Registrant:
Mediaspring

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 05-Jul-2011
Renewal date: 05-Jul-2013
Last updated: 07-Jul-2011

webwhois.nic.uk...

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   

edit on 7/7/11 by Soshh because: arse

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cobaltic1978

Originally posted by Misterlondon

also, paves the way for the takeover of BSB,

can you explain how this paves the way for the sky takeover?

By all means. One of the stumbling blocks for the takeover has been the fact that Murdoch already owns a vast media empire. By getting rid of NoW, then an argument could be given that News International are reducing the number of publications. Right now the takeover has been recommended on the basis that Sky News isn't part of the deal. If they off load a number of additional publications, the argument of duplicity cannot be made.

im not sure if this will have such a major impact on that as you think.. it was relativity small in terms of media outlets in the murdoch empire (especially in comparison to sky) as it was only a one day a week publication.. and it closed because of criminal activities..
also it is widely thought that it will just be replaced by another publication.

it may actually affect the deal negatively.. although offcom dont generally look at the actions of the parent company (they are more interested in licenses.. etc) there are fit and proper person laws in this country..
also this is not just about the phone hacking, there is also police bribery involved and this is all we know about at the moment..

there will have to be criminal investigations and public inquiries to be made into this... we will just have to wait and see what happens..

edit on 7/7/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I have a theory...that periodically we are all being listened to....they rotate....listening in to all of us. A few times (coincidentally since I joined this website) I have heard a change in certain telephone conversations I have had....there will be a distinct (echo in the background) that is not normally there.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Well that's a nuisance! I've just changed my answer phone message to -

I'm unable to get to the phone at the moment. Please leave a message and I'll read it in the next issue of News of the World.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
4'000 victims - wowee. The whole of News International should be shut down, and Murdoch and his CEO should have criminal charges taken out against them.

This is just one exposure of massive crime in journalism - and imo it's the tip of a huge iceberg.

News monopolies should be banned.
edit on 7-7-2011 by wcitizen because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by caladonea
I have a theory...that periodically we are all being listened to....they rotate....listening in to all of us. A few times (coincidentally since I joined this website) I have heard a change in certain telephone conversations I have had....there will be a distinct (echo in the background) that is not normally there.

this is probably just a bad line, it would be a huge operation involving thousands of people and resources to listen to everyone..

there is no doubt they do listen to calls but you have to ask yourself this.. is there any reason why they would need to listen to me?

and as it coincides with you joining here and reading all this conspiracy stuff, i would say it is a common thing that happens to some ATS members... paranoia..

sometimes ATS will do that to ya....

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by torsion
Well that's a nuisance! I've just changed my answer phone message to -

I'm unable to get to the phone at the moment. Please leave a message and I'll read it in the next issue of News of the World.

LOL!

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Misterlondon

I've signed petitions and written to the Secretary of Culture and my local MP to express my disgust that the Sky deal is still even being considered.

Let our voices be heard, people.

Is it against the T&C to post a link to the petitions on here?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by mc1km
This is not going to hurt them at all:

"One media observer said it looked like his father Rupert Murdoch preferred to sacrifice the newspaper rather than his chief executive Rebekah Brooks. The move opens the way for a seven-day Sun newspaper which it is believed News International has been planning for some time."

I sincerely hope that everybody refuses to buy The Sun in disgust but I doubt it.
edit on 7-7-2011 by mc1km because: correction.

Oh yea, if only people would boycott the SUN.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wcitizen
reply to post by Misterlondon

I've signed petitions and written to the Secretary of Culture and my local MP to express my disgust that the Sky deal is still even being considered.

Let our voices be heard, people.

Is it against the T&C to post a link to the petitions on here?

it a shame.. i would put my name on it...

more people like you are needed in our current society...

im sorry that all i can give you for your effort is a star.. but there you go...

Oh yea, if only people would boycott the SUN.

wont happen.. the readers of that paper are fiercely loyal and actually believe the crap they print..
edit on 7/7/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join