It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: 4,000 Potential Phone Hacking Victims

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Police: 4,000 Potential Phone Hacking Victims

uk.news.yahoo.com

Scotland Yard has revealed up to 4,000 people may have been the target of phone hacking by a private investigator working for News Of The World.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Comprehensive 'Breaking Alternative News' Forum Posting Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

edit on 7/7/2011 by Mirthful Me because: Title.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:48 AM
link   
This is big news!!!

A Major newspaper ceasing circulation...!!
Still only tid bits coming out. Will update as more news comes...

From source:

RBL said it was "shocked to the core" and had "suspended all relations" with the newspaper amid claims the families of fallen soldiers had been targeted.

uk.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:49 AM
link   
Breaking news:
News of the World has announced it will cease publication after this weekend's edition

More to follow

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   
and people thought that the internet is monitored or influenced....

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:52 AM
link   

4.46pm: Just starting to get some of James Murdoch's statement:

Having consulted senior colleagues, I have decided that we must take further decisive action with respect to the paper. This Sunday will be the last issue of the News of the World.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Full statement here
edit on 7/7/11 by Soshh because: Added full statement link.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:56 AM
link   
I give it 6 months untill murdoc brings out a new newspaper, probly News of the Earth or something

Once it pass's the mainstream news, something else will take its place and people will forget about it, then the doors will be open for a new paper.

It isn't closing, its just changing its name.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Shocked to read this. It's all over twitter in seconds of announcement. People saying 'I'm going to buy it on Sunday cause it's the last one.

This is the most widely read 'newspaper' in the UK on a Sunday, but after 4000+ having their phones hacked it's gone. Let's hope the rest of the Murdoch empire crashes and burns around him.
edit on 7/7/11 by yakuzakid because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
Yeah, it's just a name change, and hopefully it will not stop any criminal charges for all of those people hacked. The Sun on Sunday is what it'll be called, acording to another forum.

Now, to really hurt Murdock, we have to dump sky like a hot potato.
Edit, though this suggests that there will bo no replacement!
www.politicshome.com...

edit on 7/7/2011 by Acidtastic because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I can only hope the other sensationalist idiotic red tops follow suit.
The daily Mail of course can stay - It's useful for wiping your backside on if the SHTF - at least for now.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:03 AM
link   
wow.. im shocked.. that paper has been part of my sunday since i was a child...

they probably had the best sport section out of all the sunday papers.. plus all the scandals they broke over the years.. i always wondered where they got all those massive stories (and they did break some huge scandals).. guess i know the answer now...

RIP news of the world.. now we just have to get rid of the sun...
edit on 7/7/11 by Misterlondon because: spelling error

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   
This is just damage control.So many advertisers were pulling out,a bocott building up,sure it might have blown over in a few months time if they started giving out free posters of lady gaga or kate middleton or some crap like that the public would of forgot maybe but right now its damaging murdochs business plans .hes not exaclty falling on his sword. Many more papers are involved in this too more will come to light.

Maybe Ive gotten too cynical but I see people claim shock at the antics of hacking the phones of dead schoolgirls and victims families of terror events but Im not at all shocked,Its a trash paper that sells seedy stories of footballers affairs.devotes vast resources to making big brother fame whore no talent shcmucks famous so they can get milage out of them before breaking them too. throw in your weekly pedophile story and colour pics of gangland scum in the centre pullouts,its a trash paper.Im not a prude or intellectual by any means but i wouldnt have any interest in the tripe they peddle and have no intention even though I am curious of buying their "last speech" edition. screw them. rant ends here.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is all BS unfortunately.

As some have mentioned, no doubt a new paper will rise from the ashes, but at the cost of many of the jobs on the shop floor.

How many senior manager's, some involved in the hacking scandal, will lose their jobs? Also, paves the way for the takeover of BSB, one less paper at least.

Murdoch isn't stupid, but he thinks we are.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
So we now have the sacrificial head...

I wonder if it will be enough? or if this will continue..

I can not help but feel this is an extension of the battle to prevent Murdock controlling sky.. if it is then this will not end until that particular ambition has been squashed.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:21 AM
link   
This article was just now posted.. it's an offshoot from the main story but still related to The News Of the World..

uk.news.yahoo.com...

"Witness statements at the trial of former Scottish politician Tommy Sheridan are to be investigated following new claims about the News Of The World"

Feels like a house of falling cards.. let's wait and see how far the oncoming tsunami goes! Im sure it is going to sweep up many in it's path the question is will it just come down to individuals or corporations as well?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
Am I wrong or, doesn't he already own a vast empire of publications.

He doesn't need to start a new paper. And, odds are, if he allows this stuff to happen at this publication, who's to say he's not doing it at ALL of them?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   

also, paves the way for the takeover of BSB,

can you explain how this paves the way for the sky takeover?

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Suspiria
I can only hope the other sensationalist idiotic red tops follow suit.

Definitely.... there are so few decent papers in this (or any) country and most morons just read the Sun or the Mirror or the Daily Mail..... it's sad.

OK the Mail isn't a red top but it is a disgusting piece of trash.

I can't believe the amount of crap newspapers we have.... any time I'm in a corner shop, newsagent, supermarket or wherever, I can't believe the amount of awful newspapers available... and they're only available and popular because PEOPLE BUY THEM!!!

It's so sad.... and people parrot everything they "learn" from these papers and then it almost becomes fact and then everyone talks about it.... and says "well it was in the paper, it must be true"

I hate our society sometimes..

I really hope this is the catalyst for change.... and Decent Journalism and REAL news becomes popular once more, real journalists with real stories available in more than a couple of papers.... that they become the NORM.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:28 AM
link   
The Sun will probably change to a 7 day title instead :-)

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

I suppose because it can be seen to appease the baying mob and Murdoch can remove/detach the rest of his empire from the NOTW.

People will forget, he'll get Sky and that'll be that.

posted on Jul, 7 2011 @ 11:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

By all means. One of the stumbling blocks for the takeover has been the fact that Murdoch already owns a vast media empire. By getting rid of NoW, then an argument could be given that News International are reducing the number of publications. Right now the takeover has been recommended on the basis that Sky News isn't part of the deal. If they off load a number of additional publications, the argument of duplicity cannot be made.

<<   2  3 >>

join