It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Attitude? What attitude.

Your juvenile, almost childlike one.

I was being completely serious. I had no idea England had electricity, the Internet,

You might want to read these links, but I somehow suspect you won't bother and much prefer to wallow in your own ignorance and childish arrogance.

en.wikipedia.org...
en.wikipedia.org...

You learn something new everyday.

Some of us try to, I very much doubt you do.

We invented the evil gangs that have spread throughout the world,

Even if that was true, which it most certainly isn't, would that be something to be proud of and top of the list of things the US had contributed to world culture and development?

so I doubt Lickfield would be too hard core for me to visit.

I really don't want to get into an 'I've got a bigger prick than you' conversation but really, are you that ignorant and naive about life outside of your own little safe and secure bubble?
And you can't even copy the name of the city properly.

I suspect you might not have mastered joined up writing yet.

Guess with the school holidays nearly upon us we'll be getting more of these infantile posts.
Happens every year.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

M8 moving to america will be the last thing i do.

Were Red Were White Were #ing Dynamite England.....England...........!!!!!!!!!!!!

I guess i didn't offer the guy above me much support

oh well

Were Red Were White Were #ing Dynamite England.....England...........!!!!!!!!!!!!

edit on 4-7-2011 by ShadowZion because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:25 AM
link   
was quite glad that asda(walmart) really helped popularise halloween here in the uk about 5 years ago,really enjoy halloween and have big party decorate house to a severe degree.(quick someone tell me that i am being mk ultra'd by the illuminati,the spirit of aleister crowley and hannah montanas pet hypnotoad)
some aspects of american influence and culture are welcome.i have a couple of american cars here in scotland and thats saying something considering the steering wheels are on the wrong side and they really are quite basic in some aspects.
however really think someone in uk asda corporate had the balls to say "hey we dont celebrate this and after all it was a war with us" i object to being lumped in as a 51st state.i object to the lower quality of goods in general and the fact natural economics has caused our domestic supermarkets to sell competing crap also.from t shirts that lose shape after 1 wash to apple pies with a filling that is best described as apple flavoured slime.
before we get some troll citing "sore loser" believe me we dont care.only thing thats ever stuck in my head was how the world superpower of the time,we owned approx 70% of the globe at that time and let some things go without much fight,i mean we handed india back.basically to gandhi,without the indian populace having to sharpen any rocks and attack.
in summing up if we adopt a piece of your culture...congrats.however dont force it down our throats.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Can people just not press alert and wait patiently for a mod to sort it, or better yet, make a complaint regarding the lack of a 'ignore member' button, hmmmmm? Tis quite obviously an angry teenager (have summer holidays started already?!) so unless you are also one of those also, its pure sillyness to respond.

Anyhoo... think people are viewing this advertising campaign in the wrong context. Either this, er, 'Wal Mart family' member have no knowledge themselves of what independence day is, or they know full well that the vast majority of British people have more knowledge of independence day the film, compared to the real life independence day.
I dont know if any other people from the UK would agree, but personally whenever Ive seen anything referring to independence day (from the mouth of Will Smith or otherwise), the tiny little part about who the USA is independent from is rarely brought up. Id put my money on the case being that whoever brainstormed the campaign viewed the 'celebrate independence day' as a perfect angle from which they could promote a new range of american products. And unless they intend to introduce more new products on the following independence day, the promotion wont be repeated.

Anyone in the UK who's actually offended by it (and I dont see why anyone would be, the declaration of independence doesnt state that they want independence because they think think the UK smells and they hate tea, does it?), should just bear in mind that at least they havent taken to advertising the day 3/4 months beforehand... 'all I want for chistmas' and advent calenders in mid september, anyone?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:49 AM
link   
Well seeing as the "Independence" of the USA was primarily simply a TAX EVASION stunt, to avoid paying taxes into the British Commonwealth, therefore maybe the ASDA supermarket chain are in need of a visit from Her Majesty's Revenue and Customs ? The serious crime of tax evasion is believed to be the major reason why our United Kingdom economy is in such a deep recession. Personally I never shop at ASDA because to be honest with you ASDA products are not up to the standard of quality that I expect. I am usually shopping at ICELAND or TESCO. Perhaps I am just a bit of a snob ? SAINSBURY and WAITROSE are just a bit too far out from my address. ASDA are orientated towards the motorist as a drive in supermarket on the outer boundry of town. Being a semi invalid with vertigo and schizophrenia and thus a pedestrian, walking to everything, I thus use the stores that are within walking distance of my abode.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 4/7/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
reply to post by Beavers

My apologies to the mighty Beavers. I will certainly stock up for you - Are you paddling?

The Mighty Beavers, that sounds like a great name for a band

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
What a great thread. Let's all just insult each other and show how awesomely ignorant we are. Come on people, don't we realize that stupidity is a world-wide epidemic?

Besides the real bad guys are global. They have no national allegiances and they really love it when the plebes squabble amongst themselves.

Divide and conquer.

ETA: On topic, Wal-Mart is 100% pure refined evil...
edit on 4-7-2011 by Redwookieaz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
reply to post by vipertruck99

actually on 2nd thoughts,i welcome it.....
i think will smith did a wonderful job and even jeff goldblum was quite inspiring,lets all celebrate independance day WORLDWIDE...it was so much better than 2012 and skyline

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreebornThe ironic thing is that these corporations specifically downplay St George's Day and pointedly refuse to promote English and even British products at times.

I know, that annoys me.
Me, my freinds and family celebrate St. Geroges day though.
edit on 4/7/11 by Gazmeister because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

Haha. I'm new here but this is a joke right? Sorry. I might have to get used to the type of humor you guys use here.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 10:53 AM
link   
If anything, the UK should celebrate "Dependence Day". That should be April 30, the day Hitler killed himself.

Why 'Dependence Day"? Because without the help of the USA, the UK most likely would have lost the war, and so were dependent on the USA for their freedom.

Yeah, I just said that.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by Essan
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Though I think the sarcasm may be lost on some!

Personally I thought Indpendence Day was a great, fun, film. I've watched it loads of times. But I wouldn't go so far as to have a holiday to celebrate it!

edit on 3-7-2011 by Essan because: typo

I was going to post something simlar, but I thought it would go down like a lead ballon !

By the way, I have tried to watch it about half a dozen times, and I always, without fail, fall fast asleep, I have never seen probably half of it, so it must be great. Mind you, that comes from someone who started clockwatching after the first 30 mins of lord of the rings !

In my opinion ASDA are just clutching at straws, trying to think up new ways to make people spend money which they just don't have, call me cynical, but they are there to get rch, while we get poorer, more money for the elite, whilst the worker bees follow the honey bees !

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
If anything, the UK should celebrate "Dependence Day". That should be April 30, the day Hitler killed himself.

Why 'Dependence Day"? Because without the help of the USA, the UK most likely would have lost the war, and so were dependent on the USA for their freedom.

Yeah, I just said that.

Are yous sure you didn't just fight the war on your own. According to your movies, it was just the Americans in WWII right?

Isn't that what you teach your children? How you fought world war II all alone, no help from anyone else. Just a load of yanks running around saving the world.
Hell, according to you yanks there were probably no Germans either.

Silly person.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:37 AM
link   
reply to post by mr-lizard

According to our movies....

All us 'Mericans love fast food and beer when watching NASCAR and do fist pumps and yell Hell Yeah uncontrollably 24/7 while having running gun battles and car chases with each other through the streets of New York simultaneously avoiding Alien [Illegal or not] invasions trying to suck our brains out or replacing us with Pod people.

Happy 4th

Yee Haw!
Does a fist pump then goes bombs something...
edit on 4-7-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

* Drinks tea and nibbles on a scone distastefully *

Happy June the 4th.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplemmm
reply to post by KristianTNA

Have you seen American food, Jam AND meat on the same plate???? I rest my case.

What the heck does that mean??? English food is comprable to their weather...Dull and gray

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
People know Asda is owned by Wal-Mart, yes?

That explains why Asda will be pushing American brands and Independence Day, for more money, obviously, but also because it's owned by Wal-Mart, and we all know America is run by the corporations.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by voidla
People know Asda is owned by Wal-Mart, yes?

That explains why Asda will be pushing American brands and Independence Day, for more money, obviously, but also because it's owned by Wal-Mart, and we all know America is run by the corporations.

Umm..The entire world is run by the corporations

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Asda just need to shut up & start stocking Twinkies & Lucky Charms already...
I want's me feckin' Lucky Charms.

edit on 4-7-2011 by Suspiria because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by sith9157

Originally posted by triplemmm
reply to post by KristianTNA

Have you seen American food, Jam AND meat on the same plate???? I rest my case.

What the heck does that mean??? English food is comprable to their weather...Dull and gray

Since you're the English food expert - please list the grey food, as I seem to have missed it in my many years on this planet.

Cheers.

P.s - The current heatwave in the Uk also suggests something other than what you suggest.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join