It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
In the UK, there is a ASDA the countrys 2nd largest supermarket with over 300 stores and part of the Wal Mart family since 2002.

Over the last 2 weeks thier store radio station named ASDA FM which broadcasts to all stores and online at asda.com has been running adverts to celebrate Independence Day, sure it is in effect to advertise thier new range of American brands. Hersheys, RC Cola and so on. The principal just seems terribly off the mark.

"Celebrate Independence Day"

Independence Day is to celebrate independence from the British empire.

Thoughts?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:24 AM
link   
Haha oh dear....Are they really? Im american, and that seems in bad taste lol

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   
I'm an American living in the UK, and I will be celebrating as I feel that it will be the last time an American is free. Thank you for posting OP.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
Just one thought comes to mind.....

Face Palm

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:32 AM
link   
reply to post by dreamfox1

I think this sums it up

+8 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   
It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   
reply to post by KristianTNA

It's not a new thing. I remember the same kind of thing in the post office about 4-5 years ago.

Seems kind of funny. Imagine celebrating a spanking.

I can see the point of ASDA pushing this to try to part you from your money, but the post office?
Would the sight of hundreds of small US flags tempt you to send more letters to America?

...cue The Proclaimers.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:58 AM
link   

seeing that history has shown that this was the worst event ever and led indirectly to numerous wars I won't be celebrating and neither should America. The nearest parable I can come up with is it was like the 14 year old boy throwing his parents out and deciding he can run everything. Have you seen American food, Jam AND meat on the same plate???? I rest my case.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:00 AM
link   
It's like trying to get Americans to celebrate Guy Fawkes day. Don't get me wrong; I would love to burn an effigy and have fireworks to boot, but it's just not my country's thing.

Aside from that, the irony of doing it in the UK is just hilarious. I think they're doing it just to mess with people.

+20 more 
posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

What a completely arrogant statement to make, most English people do not harbour a secret desire to move to america, your not the top country in the world you or some of you just think you are as well as thinking your the world police, it is completely assine to think we would want to celebrate anything that is anti british as Independance day which is the crux of that celebration, i would rather live with the small amount of freedoms we have here in the uk than live in the veiled NWO society you have.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Though I think the sarcasm may be lost on some!

Personally I thought Indpendence Day was a great, fun, film. I've watched it loads of times. But I wouldn't go so far as to have a holiday to celebrate it!

edit on 3-7-2011 by Essan because: typo

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

You seriously believe that?

Why would anyone want to move from one fascist state to an even worse one?
To follow the American dream??

What a pile of tosh.

As for the American 'holidays' and other things such as the word "mall" that has replaced "shopping centre", well, you can keep the lot..

I have nothing against any American who is happy with the 'live and let live' idea but those who wish to impose their ideals on others (and they're usually the corporations/governments) I shun to the ends of the Earth..

It was either last year or the year before that a particular fast food restaurant in a shopping centre had advertising for everybody to celebrate 'thanksgiving'..

I wont forget the many attempts of people in India or the Philippines who cannot get a job in the airline industry or in call centres (and the like) because they do not have an American accent, no matter how good their control of the English language is..

If the West was not so sure of itself by imposing its will on the world, we might be living in a slightly better place, but it's all about money and control..

I always recall a song by Sham69 who sang about how "They didn't want us in the USA, We didn't wanna go there anyway... Stick America up your......"

But, we must also not forget how Christianity has done the same thing, Especially when you see scenes of the nativity or people dressed as Santa and celebrating Christmas in remote villages of the deepest parts of Africa... All sponsored by Coca Cola...

To suggest that "all English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA" is, in my opinion, baiting.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
'Celebrate the day a group of rag-tag rebels broke away from your empire and declared independence, defeated your empire in war, then grew up to become the new empire'... yeah that sounds like something the British would want to celebrate. Thanks for the good laugh.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:31 AM
link   

i think independence day is the conspiracy.

the American and British aristocracy (rich people who give their cash to politicians to get their own way) are all related anyway. You might have moved over the water a few hundred years ago, but we all have the same great, great, great, great. great, great, grandparents. (red indian genocide, nice bunch!)

and as both countries speak the same language, share the same beliefs and are pretty much up each others arses on nearly every political agenda, i'd say 'independence' was a complete sham!

False flag flavoured tea anyone?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
This is not surpirsing.

My mates kids have spent years learing about george washington, thomas eddison, abraham lincoln ect, in school but havent been taught a SINGLE thing about scotish or british history. (which is kinda ironic given that we actually HAVE a history!)

I think it may be as simple as COST CUTTING, the "corporate machine" doesnt want to pay twice to indoctrinate the people, so they'v simply merged the UK & the US together, given how stupid people are nowadays, id say they'v done a pretty good job so far.

Our schools now have "proms", graduation days and various other celebrations of mediocrity that simply didnt exist here even as little as 2 years ago.

Its just another way to distract people from the real world around them, and nobodys more distracted than the American people. (and its probably fair to say at this point, us British as well!)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Extralien

It's "Shopping Center", not "Shopping Centre". According to official grammatical rules accepted throughout the world, the American spelling of a word always trumps the English or Canadian spelling of a word. Thought everyone knew that. In fact, the English Language really should be called "The American Language".

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Beavers

i think independence day is the conspiracy.

the American and British aristocracy (rich people who give their cash to politicians to get their own way) are all related anyway. You might have moved over the water a few hundred years ago, but we all have the same great, great, great, great. great, great, grandparents. (red indian genocide, nice bunch!)

and as both countries speak the same language, share the same beliefs and are pretty much up each others arses on nearly every political agenda, i'd say 'independence' was a complete sham!

False flag flavoured tea anyone?

Its like when a kid runs away from home

"Screw u dad, im leaving and never coming back! *packs teddy bear and a sammich* *storms out*

-5 mins pass-
"im sorry
"

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:44 AM
link   
Independence Day Eh? Nah, wherever you guys go, we go with you.

My first thought? The Americans did it. Why can't we English do it?

Yes we can! Let go Scotland damn it. STOP hanging on by your sporan!

We are somewhat generously leaving you with:

all Scottish politicians, Royalty, the BOE and of course Andy Murray.

Right. Down rudder. Up sails Start paddling.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:45 AM
link   

reply to post by Extralien

It's "Shopping Center", not "Shopping Centre". According to official grammatical rules accepted throughout the world, the American spelling of a word always trumps the English or Canadian spelling of a word. Thought everyone knew that. In fact, the English Language really should be called "The American Language".

centre (plural centres) (UK, Canada, Australian)

en.wiktionary.org...

Note, UK, Canada and Australia are obviously against your idea of the acceptance you claim...
The American spellings are fabricated ideas based on trying to be individual and are only a mock up of the original English from whence they came..

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

If this wasn't trolling, you need to travel x

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join