It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:39 AM
link   
good, boycott and wait till the 5th when prices and coupons and specials go back up.

lol.what's the problem?

i just got $125.00 in coupons for a Belgium promotion.

i plan to use them. alas, not applicable for some killer trappist beer, tho.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
YES!

yes all the english should celebrate the fact that since 1776 you're no longer liable or responsible for whatever the americans do, say or think.

that is good no?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:43 AM
link   
Evidently the "special relationship" discounts use of bad etiquette.

Imagine a mould of Lord North mounted atop a horse, saber in hand, directing an ominous countenance at Thomas Jefferson's memorial.

No, I do believe this supermarket's upper-echelon thinkers are crossing the proverbial line & promoting nonsense.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by KristianTNA

I knew it would be ASDA, it's owned by Wallmart, they're probably trying to sell us their Wallmart range of 4th Jul crap, not impressed.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by Axebo

Imagine a mould of Lord North mounted atop a horse, saber in hand, directing an ominous countenance at Thomas Jefferson's memorial.

No, I do believe this supermarket's upper-echelon thinkers are crossing the proverbial line & promoting nonsense.

i wiped my mouth on my sleeve once. i do like the idea of high tea.

you sound like fraiser. at least niles.

and it's mold.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

Originally posted by Axebo

i wiped my mouth on my sleeve once. i do like the idea of high tea.

you sound like fraiser. at least niles.

and it's mold.

British thread, British variant: mould. We can debate that until the tea runs out!

Tchau

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:59 AM
link   
This is just an effort to shift some more cola and other American themed produce, ASDA remember is owned by Wal-Mart too, America's largest retailer. It's no surprise they are trying to get us involved with this holiday, just like valentines, mothers and fathers day just an other opportunity to flog more junk.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
ya, well i live in hong kong,

ring a bell mates?

lol!!!

my wife, who is chinese sounds like lady frikin dy.

i like it!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Lynda101

won't take me long from Pompey

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:25 AM
link   
I'm an American and I think it's tacky and in very poor taste that ASDA would do that. I won't shop at Walmart this weekend in protest. Sorry and hope we can all still be friends.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha HA

The biggest laugh of the day for me so far !!!!!

This is Sarcasim ..isn't it ??? Oh wait , most Americans don't understand sarcasm do they ?

Move to America with it's impending social issues, more guns per head than Baghdad, HUGE rich poor divide, mad tea party mentalists, a perverted TSA, over hyped celebrities and dumbed down population....... i could go on but why.....? Most DO NOT see America like you do 'IAmAnAlien'................... must have been sarcasm....

Regards

PDUK

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:29 AM
link   
Another UK supermarket had a similar promotion of French themed goods on Bastille Day a few years ago, so I don't see anything too strange about this.

I doubt that most British people even really know or care that the national day of the US celebrates defeating Britain. I never knew that the year 1776 had any significance to Americans until I started reading ATS. I care as much about American independence day as I do about Mongolian independence day - which is not a lot.

Really, the US isn't as important as some of their citizens would like to think that they are.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:30 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Lol, you gave me a giggle on a Sunday morning which is almost unheard of.

But I think all your bravado and baiting belies a much held deep rooted desire in lots of Americans to return to your roots and your motherland.
Now if you ask nicely we'll confer with our loyal and steadfast friends and cousins in Australia, New Zealand and Canada and I'm sure we'll welcome you back to the fold with open arms.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   
ya'll know what good ol' king george wrote in his diary on that day in 1776?

"nothing of significance happened today"

hey, we still love ya!

we are the fruit of your loins!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:43 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

You are joking arntya.
I cant stand being called British..
I was born in Middlesbrough
England and am very proud of my Nation..
I hate Scotland Ireland and Wales equally..
There is not a cat in hells chance of wanting to even visit the USA..
If anything the opposite seems to be the case..
With the amount of American visitors to this country seems to bear this out..
You do know all your presidents excuding the one you have now have some
connection to the English throne..
The OP will have to put better bait on his hook if he hopes to catch more people..
Peace and respect to all
Regards
Plazmuh

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by fooks

and it's mold.

Not where I'm from, I was in Mold once, lovely little market town.

He sounds like Fraizer or Niles, damn have you got a text to speech app that can do forums in accents!!! Want one

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   
reply to post by PurpleDog UK

Nail and head springs to mind.

Seriously though, it's only a marketing and sales campaign, similair to how the breweries etc play up St Paddy's Day.

The ironic thing is that these corporations specifically downplay St George's Day and pointedly refuse to promote English and even British products at times.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:06 AM
link   
since i can check both sides of the fence from where im at.
this is also the same thing as when the american msm tried to hype up the royal wedding like americans would care.

the underlying conspiracy is someone wants americans and english to be friendly and supportive of each other.

as someone already stated in this thread,
england and the us are probably the most hated countries globally.

y'all do need to stick together it seems.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 06:12 AM
link   
reply to post by fooks

Actually, its a 'casting' 'mould' is what the 'casting' is 'cast' in, the mould is then broken to get the 'casting' out, then cleaned with files and wire brushes.(the 'casting' is cleaned, not the broken 'mould' (mold is the green overcoat worn by out of date food, although my spell checker does not recognise the word)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by mfc1PLAZMUH

You are joking arntya.
I cant stand being called British..
I was born in Middlesbrough

A Smoggie!

England and am very proud of my Nation..

As indeed am I.

I hate Scotland Ireland and Wales equally..

But I am also very proud or The Union.
I suggest that's a topic for a thread in itself and doesn't really belong here.

There is not a cat in hells chance of wanting to even visit the USA..
If anything the opposite seems to be the case..

I'd love to tour about the US.
Whilst some of the more famous tourist spots have obvious attractions I would love to get away from them and see and meet the 'real' America.

But I can't ever imagine me moving permanently away from glorious Albion.

With the amount of American visitors to this country seems to bear this out..

The world is an ever shrinking place and lots of Brits visit the US nowadays.
My brother lived in Boston for a year, New York for a while and Dallas for about 3 or 4 years.

Peace and respect to all

Including Jocks, Paddys, Taffs and Yanks?

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join