It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by triplemmm
reply to post by KristianTNA

seeing that history has shown that this was the worst event ever and led indirectly to numerous wars I won't be celebrating and neither should America. The nearest parable I can come up with is it was like the 14 year old boy throwing his parents out and deciding he can run everything. Have you seen American food, Jam AND meat on the same plate???? I rest my case.

wait......did somebody just make a case for British food being better than anybody else's food ?

When the world things of food people are forced to eat instead of enjoy......they think of english food.

That being said.....yes our food is not that great...well it is but you have to avoid the fast food and other crap....

You guys don't even use spices !!!!!! ..england

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Contrary to popular belief Britain is a part of our history, for better or worse. Whats so wrong about reminding others about history?

Weve done it here in the states before.

Why be ashamed or offended with the thought we all share a common history?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Swanseadog
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Copied from a post in another thred-England is better than America because...

You should have given the author the credit for posting that.
Bad form.

Anyhoo I prefer the great rebuttal...

Originally posted by beezzer
1) We speak English.

We speak 'Merican.

2) We can have a conversation at normal audio levels without interspersing it with "HELL YEAH" "ALRIGHT" and "USA,USA" etc...

Federal law. We have to do that.

3) We don’t do silly high fives; we simply shake hands like grown ups.

We invented the fist-bump with the splayed fingers.

4) We do not believe what our government tells us.

Our government says you're lying.

5) We are educated.

I don't need triggernometry. I already know how to shoot.

6) Our homes don’t have wheels.

Then how can you do NASCAR?

7) The Banjo is banned under common decency laws.

Your loss. (hee-yuk)

8) Although marrying cousins is legal it is not widely accepted.

We aren't french for gods sake!

9) We don’t have to have our national flag on everything we own.

Then how do you know what nationality you are?

10) We know the meaning of the word “Humble”.

We know the word. We're the BEST at it!

11) We realise that there are other countries in the world.

More Americas? Not likely.

12) We can “walk” to our shops (Remember that one America?? Walking??)

We walk to our cars. Actally, I have a scooter for that.

13) Our Queen (God bless her) is actually the ruler of the entire world, unlike Obama who just runs America!.

Obama is a King! (didn't get the memo?)

14) When you look into our eyes you see the sane, calm and tranquil look of a pedigree... Not the cross-eyed, insane, and slightly angry look of a mongrel.

*scratching a flea* Huh?

15) We drink Tea.

Is that a brand of coffee?

16) We know which fork is for starters.

Trick question. You don't use a fork for starters. You use a wrench.

17) We know which spoon is for desert.

Silly brits. Why use spoon for beer?

18) If we ever lost a War we would never make a thousand movies about it so that we could collectively wallow in self-pity

USA, USA, USA, USA,. . . . what was the question?

19) When we win wars we have a dignified parade which involves the crowd quietly waving flags and clapping politely.

We have quiet dignified parades. Then we invade countries and blow stuff up.

20) We invented Comedy Sarcasm and Irony

We invented fart jokes.

21) We are the only country in the world that does actually LOVE America and Americans

Awwww, big hugs, puddin'.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
< SARCASM > Why not? I mean, why shouldn't the Brit's celebrate it? After all, in the U.S., we are forced to celebrate a victory of the Mexican army over the French army (Cinco De Mayo). If I spelled, that wrong, I don't care. So, if we are forced to celebrate something that has absolutely NOTHING to do with the United States, why shouldn't you guys be forced to celebrate losing that war? It has about as much relevance. < /SARCASM >

In all honesty, I'd be outraged if I was a British citizen. It's all part of this "multiculturalism" crap that we're forced to adhere to. Fly your Union Jack or St. Georges Flag, and be PROUD to be BRITISH! You have this American supporting you.

edit on 3-7-2011 by navy_vet_stg3 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

Where did you get the impresion that everyone in the UK wants to move to USA?? I've never shown any desire to move to the USA, and know very few people who do. There are at least 5 other countries i would prefer to move too. Not bashing your country, but i can assure you, not many people in the UK would like to move to the USA.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by aching_knuckles

The War of 1812 was the real war for independence.

The Empire didn't recognize American sovereignty until then.

And you left out the hurricane, like the wrath of Zeus, that came out of nowhere, put the fires out in the capitol and killed more British troops than our military, forcing them to retreat from DC.
edit on 3/7/11 by MikeboydUS because: what

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   

so an american owned supermarket chain is pushing an american meme - and they just hapen to have a line of american merchanise to help you " celebrate " - wow - i didnt see that one coming

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Trolloks

Where did you get the impresion that everyone in the UK wants to move to USA?? I've never shown any desire to move to the USA, and know very few people who do. There are at least 5 other countries i would prefer to move too. Not bashing your country, but i can assure you, not many people in the UK would like to move to the USA.

That's just what Englishpeople say aloud when other people can hear in order to save face and appear to be English patriots. In reality, each and every English citizen harbors a secret deep desire to move to America and be accepted as an American. But i don't blame you guys for it. I mean, if I wasn't an American, I would want to move to America too.

Sometimes the urge to move to America is so strong it completely ruins Englishpeople's happiness and well-being. All day long all they think about is dreaming to save up enough money to move to America, but all kinds of obstacles get in the way... so sad. I wish you could all move here, but... alas, I don't have enough money to help you all make the move.
edit on 3-7-2011 by IAmAnAlien because: hi

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien

That's just what Englishpeople say aloud when other people can hear in order to save face and appear to be English patriots. In reality, each and every English citizen harbors a secret deep desire to move to America and be accepted as an American. But i don't blame you guys for it. I mean, if I wasn't an American, I would want to move to America too.

Sometimes the urge to move to America is so strong it completely ruins Englishpeople's happiness and well-being. All day long all they think about is dreaming to save up enough money to move to America, but all kinds of obstacles get in the way... so sad. I wish you could all move here, but... alas, I don't have enough money to help you all make the move.

This is one of the reasons, the outstanding ignorence of the american patriot. The only thing i am patriotic about England are the English people themselves, not the politics nor the monarcy. You have proven, to an Englishman, one of the reasons that we have no or very little desire to move to your country. I would like to move to America, but the country would not be the USA, it would be Canada. Get your fingure out of yourself and look at the world, there is more than one ocean, i advise you cross them.

P.S The sterling is stronger than the doller. around 62p to the dollor infact. So the English people have an advantage to move to the USA, and we chose to stay in our country, or move to Austraila, New Zeland or Canada over the USA. Coincedance? I strongly doubt it with a life changing move that you're suggesting.
edit on 3-7-2011 by Trolloks because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

This is one of the reasons, the outstanding ignorence of the american patriot. The only thing i am patriotic about England are the English people themselves, not the politics nor the monarcy. You have proven, to an Englishman, one of the reasons that we have no or very little desire to move to your country. I would like to move to America, but the country would not be the USA, it would be Canada. Get your fingure out of yourself and look at the world, there is more than one ocean, i advise you cross them.

Well to tell you the truth, I wanted to travel to England a couple of years ago, but decided against it because I figured they didn't have electricity or the Internet there yet. No supermarkets yet either. I am simply not in good enough shape to have to go on a hunting expedition every night for my day's meals, so I had to decide against my planned trip to England. Sorry.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:48 PM
link   

To be honest with you, its a very good job that you did not come here. You would not last one second in this country with your attitude, i would give you one day before someone makes sure you can no longer insult us. We do have internet, everywhere. And supermarkets are always a walking distance. In my city we have 5 major supermarkets, and my city only has a 7miles radius at most. One of the smallest cities infact, can look it up, Lichfield. A very polite city and we welcome tourists, but even you would not last a second here my friend.

Take my advice, and never come. And this is serious, not a threat, but a heads up.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:56 PM
link   

To be honest with you, its a very good job that you did not come here. You would not last one second in this country with your attitude, i would give you one day before someone makes sure you can no longer insult us. We do have internet, everywhere. And supermarkets are always a walking distance. In my city we have 5 major supermarkets, and my city only has a 7miles radius at most. One of the smallest cities infact, can look it up, Lichfield. A very polite city and we welcome tourists, but even you would not last a second here my friend.

Take my advice, and never come. And this is serious, not a threat, but a heads up.

Hint - He's trolling.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Attitude? What attitude. I was being completely serious. I had no idea England had electricity, the Internet, and supermarkets. You learn something new everyday. But I'm not particularly worried about coming except for the reasons I mentioned before. The USA is hardly a cakewalk. We invented the evil gangs that have spread throughout the world, so I doubt Lickfield would be too hard core for me to visit.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I remember back when I was 21 and living in Oxford for the summer, my friends whom I lived with took me into town to an "American" style restaurant (I cannot for the life of me remember the name) on July 4th and there were tons of Americans inside and pouring into the streets celebrating the 4th....
I thought it was funny and weird....

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by LucidDreamer85
You guys don't even use spices !!!!!! ..england

Yeah we do! Where do you think the idea for Curry came from? Yes, the Indians used the spices and what not of their own accord, but combining their spices with our rotten meat which had gone bad in the heat, we could feed our army of evil occupying soldiers a good meal without them knowing the food was rancid!

It's true - The British army invented Curry. It's still the staple diet of any squaddie worth his salt..

That aside, I think the idea that British food is awful is rather outdated. In fact, the best chefs in the world are British and while some of our meals are rather bland, many others are not and it entirely depends on what the individual want's to make of it. I use alot of herb and spices in my meals, in fact I had a Roast Chicken today which had been coated in Hot Chilli powder... Yummy...

Anyhoo, on topic - I can see the business thinking behind this ASDA campaign and it really is just a cheap promo. Same as the Halloween pap we'll be treated to in October, the Crimble nonsense, the Paddy's day promotions etc... It's just another way of them trying to get us to spend more money by making the mundane appear to have a "special" status....

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

You have made me sooo hungry

On topic though, this wont be celebrated. A mention on the news is probly the most it will get. Just another advertisment scheme. Much like the royal wedding for an example, it was everywhere, all over the news, highlighting the celebrations, when in reality, the adverage jo was more interested in getting a bank holiday than the wedding itself.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

"inferior nations"? Hello? You think your nation is the best because it used to be on top of the world, hate to break it to you bud, but the USA is inferior to CHINA because china owns your ass.

As for canadians celebrating independence day. That is laughable, I am canadian, I've lived all over canada, not one person I know celbrates it. They all watch fireworks on canada day and victoria day (not independence day). Even the americans I know don't bother (mind you they are originally columbian, immigrated to america, and then immigrated to canada because they hated america so much). Americans need an attitude adjustment, and they will be getting one because the world is going to finally humble them.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
The War of 1812 was the real war for independence.

The Empire didn't recognize American sovereignty until then.

Nonsense. The Treaty of Paris in 1783 formally recognised the US as a sovereign nation.

And, contrary to what people in the US are taught, you did not win the War of 1812. The War was started by the US keen on annexing lower Canada, but local forces supported by British troops (another Myth popular in Canada is they won the War on their own, which is also false) pushed back this assault and you ended up having your capital captured and razed. The US achieved none of it's War aims, yet the Empire achieved all of theirs, namely the defence of the Empire.

It really amazes me when American pipe up proudly about the War of 1812 as if it's was something akin to a Glorius Victory, when in fact in was a dismal failure. Propoganda for you, I suppose.

In reality, the War was just a sidenote in history, as was the War of Independance, to the British. Of very little concern at all, in fact.. Without French and Spanish help in the latter, and if we hadn't been fighting a continental War for the past 10 years for the former, I think the US may have been a very short lived story entirely.

Count yourselves lucky that we didn't see you as very important at all to divert many resources to squish you. We could of, without those pesky French bothering us....

Originally posted by MikeboydUS
And you left out the hurricane, like the wrath of Zeus, that came out of nowhere, put the fires out in the capitol and killed more British troops than our military, forcing them to retreat from DC.

It probably "came out of nowhere" due to the total lack of any form of Weather prediction. I highly doubt it was as divine as you claim it and it seems you've bought another myth as fact. It would seem it was a tornado, rather than a Hurricane and killed plenty of Americans as well as some British soldiers.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by KristianTNA
In the UK, there is a ASDA the countrys 2nd largest supermarket with over 300 stores and part of the Wal Mart family since 2002.

Over the last 2 weeks thier store radio station named ASDA FM which broadcasts to all stores and online at asda.com has been running adverts to celebrate Independence Day, sure it is in effect to advertise thier new range of American brands. Hersheys, RC Cola and so on. The principal just seems terribly off the mark.

"Celebrate Independence Day"

Independence Day is to celebrate independence from the British empire.

Thoughts?

Well when you figure how much money the UK owes the USA for the various oil disasters caused on American soil by British Oil companies and tricking us into world war one....

Might as well make the UK the 51st State since Puerto Rico and Israel are dragging their feet over joining the Union(Technically under the US constitution any country can join the Union, even the whole world).

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLastStand

It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

"inferior nations"? Hello? You think your nation is the best because it used to be on top of the world, hate to break it to you bud, but the USA is inferior to CHINA because china owns your ass.

Myth. What China actually owns is a large portion of Vancouver B.C.
www.globalsaskatoon.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join