It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by triplemmm
reply to post by KristianTNA

Have you seen American food, Jam AND meat on the same plate???? I rest my case.

Where have you seen that?? I'm American, and I have never seen that...Unless you're counting cranberry sauce with turkey...If you are, you can't knock it till you've tried it.

I live in the UK and my husband and I had a 4th of July BBQ last night. I went to ASDA looking for party supplies but weren't able to find any themed decorations or supplies (i.e. plates, napkins, ect.). We ended up ordering some online. Fireworks were hard to find locally as well but we got some in the end. We ended up having to go somewhere near Dudley.

Anyhoo, to the poster I quoted, we had American themed food at our party last night, and nobody complained, they all seemed to enjoy it. And we didn't even put jam with our meat.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 08:50 AM
link   
Ha, I'm happy about this. Best article I've read in a week.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
Any American i believe regardless they live in will celebrate it.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:28 AM
link   
No thanks.

American holidays do not concern me or interest me. Especially the gloating of the declaration of independance.

That would be like asking all Americans to celebrate certain Islamic celebrations or something.

Silly Asda.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
See, this is how the big con works.

America never "won" the war for their independence...the War of 1812 proved that.....yknow, the one where the British came back in force and torched Washington DC and all of our paperwork and government documents.

We are free in name only. We are controlled by the crown. They make a big show of it, and say the UK is joining us an ally. NO! We are doing what they wanted to do, except we in the US will get the backlash and the royals continue their empire, through their brute proxy, the US.

Now theyve got you arguing over "Independence Day", something that never even existed, save for about 30 years after it initially happened. They commit their evil, then use their power of media to distract you with something that has little to do with whats actually happening.....and you suckers keep falling for it.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
Holidays are all just an excuse for consumers to consume. Personally I like to consume tequila on Cinco De Mayo. Maybe the Brits need an excuse to drink some of our good ole Kentucky Bourbon.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by gnosticquasar
It's like trying to get Americans to celebrate Guy Fawkes day. Don't get me wrong; I would love to burn an effigy and have fireworks to boot, but it's just not my country's thing.

Go to New Mexico for the burning of Zozobra in Santa Fe. Its quite the spectacle. I highly recommend it.

As for the ASDA thing, I think this is just the result of a company owned and run by Americans using their platform to push their own beliefs and feelings off on people who just want to buy cheap stuff. It is rather amusing to ask the people we liberated ourselves from to celebrate our liberation from them. But it just strikes me as "stupid Americanism." Someone just really didnt think it all through and just thought "hey what a great idea to sell more seasonal stuff."

Although some Brits might actually want to celebrate their separation from America, considering some of the US bashing we get from them. Maybe they should take the suggestion and just implement it in their own special way.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
It is only natural that other, inferior nations (which includes every other single country in the world because the USA is on top) would want to make Independence Day not only a celebrated holiday, but the single most important holiday of the whole year. In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is). Why shouldn't it be the same in England? All English citizens harbor deeply hidden desires to move to the USA, but are terribly frustrated because most can't.

Wow. TPTB brainwashing really works on some people. What a load of rubbish.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Celebrating Independence Day in US is really a joke - first they aren't independent and secondly they are racing towards a fascist dictatorship. From whom do Americans believe they are independent?

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

All british citizens want to move to USA? USA on top? Well then thats a new one for me hahahaha

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 10:25 AM
link   
reply to post by wcitizen

You are absolutely correct, of course. Its just not really what the OP was about.

Rather than celebrate our illusory independence from foreign control, we should be going about making it a political reality in tne US by rooting out the traitors in our government. If the PTB want a shared holiday for independence between the Brits and the Americans, maybe we should just coordinate and rid our selves of the people bleeding our nations dry and selling our sovereignty on the open market at the same time.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   

Ye slets all harbour wishes to go live in a Nation that is dominated by bigots, who keep "YOU" Ignorant to reality via toxic food and drinks! They take you into countless wars (6 currently), sacrificing your future generationsfor eight families to get fatter and richer off the backs of honest hard working American's!

So, nothing better in the USA than any where else, in fact if you want to live any where like a reasonable Utopia, move to ICELAND the nation that actually listened to it's people and turned their collective backs on the NWO Bankers,

Back to your point, what exactly is good about America, beside the average joe like me!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   

As a Texan, that is just about the dumbest promo ever!

What would be worse?

hmmm.

"Hey Muhamed! Today at the Mecca ChristianMart , we are celebrating Christmas savings with a special on bone in Country Ham for $1.50 a pound!"

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   

You have a lot of national pride to swallow there mate because you speak so highly of yourself yet the USA is not the No.1 tourist choice and nor is it the place where people want to be.

As for inferior,well America is at the bottom of almost everything,so hardly superior.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:49 AM
link   
As an American (by birth) I find the concept of the UK celebrating "Independence Day" fairly hilarious. As a musician, I've been all over the US and though I find it beautiful, I feel strangely alienated from its people. I've got no major bone to pick, but would frankly welcome the opportunity to "go home" to Europe (and stay for a while) were such a thing remotely possible.

Why? Probably my perception that the European mentality is still concerned with producing "art," (to some degree) whereas the mentality in the US is chiefly concerned with profit. I have no gripe with capitalism, but the pursuit of money has never been terribly interesting to me, in and of itself.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   

The way Americans spell things is normally just a slang version and not used often like you say and the English language is ours because we are English and no doubt so are you somewhere.

Take your ego and go away because you sure as hell ain't having our language.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Why wouldn't they want to celebrate independence day? Its a great movie.
Seriously though there pushing HERSHEYS on people in the UK? its the worlds worst chocolate. Give me CADBURYS anyday mmmmmmm For people who don't know what cadburys is- Its a chocolate brand in the UK that hasn't been made to be cheap like most of the food here in the usa its quality not quantity over there. sighhh i miss the food. black pudding and real bacon mmmmm

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Lynda101
My first thought? The Americans did it. Why can't we English do it?

That's the problem. And it ain't fair.

We CAN'T have an independence day. Everyone else can, but not us.

I suppose we could celebrate the day the Romans left? But anyone remember exactly when that was?

It's not fair!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by KristianTNA
In the UK, there is a ASDA the countrys 2nd largest supermarket with over 300 stores and part of the Wal Mart family since 2002.

Over the last 2 weeks thier store radio station named ASDA FM which broadcasts to all stores and online at asda.com has been running adverts to celebrate Independence Day, sure it is in effect to advertise thier new range of American brands. Hersheys, RC Cola and so on. The principal just seems terribly off the mark.

"Celebrate Independence Day"

Independence Day is to celebrate independence from the British empire.

Thoughts?

Here's a conspiracy for you...

I think Independence Day might have been something just to appease a certain segment of the New World population and quiet them and America never really strayed far from the British Empire.

America is and always has been just The "New and Improved" British Empire. Now featuring Slavery!

Make a big to-do and say it is an annexation.
That should shut up the patriots and detractors. Then....
We'll buy slaves and use this fertile land (after we round up or exterminate these damned indigenous) attempt the great experiment again - controlling and manipulating the huddled masses without them knowing, but this time we'll get it right.

Maybe that's why.
Our "Independence Day" is sort of an in-house joke across the pond.
Independent?!!
Kids.

edit on 3-7-2011 by newcovenant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I think their goal is to get people talking about this silly idea to have the British celebrate the day the US declared Independence from the British Empire....

It's a publicity stunt. Nothing more,nothing less.

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join