It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
I'm British, and Canadian, living in Canada. I once worked at a call center for a client in the USA.

I had a customer ask me once what the British celebrated on July 4th. I told him "American Independance".

We celebrate the fact that we don't have to deal with them anymore.

He accepted my sarcasm and moved on

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:20 PM
link   
Is there really any difference between the US and the UK? It always seemed to me the US is just the UK on steroids.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
reply to post by triplemmm

That's not what it was akin to..

It was more akin to a social revolution not isolated only to America where we decided it was time to stop practicing the class system and that we stop answering to a King. We wanted to represent ourselves. I'd hardly say the rest of the world is doing any better or worse than we are.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
As a Welsh man im glad the USA sent the so called British Empire (which is the square mile of the city of London, a principality of the SCUM BANKING ELITE and NOT a part of the UK) packing, Scotland, Ireland, Wales and even England have suffered and are in DEBT because of the banking warmaking Rothschild mafia. I think we in the UK need to follow the example of the USA and kick out these oligarch parasites out of our island. Does July the 4th sound good to you?
So I will drink a beer and make a cheer to the USA on july the 4th well done, but your Revolution still has not come to an end quite yet until you kick out the FED and the courts which are still under British Maritime/Admiralty LAW.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   
reply to post by KristianTNA

Considering what a fascist, corrupt, police state decairing war on everything they think doesn't show the proper respect (from tasered five year olds to third world countries who just want to be left alone) and the colonies have morphed into I would have labeled the campaign along the lines of Celebrating the fact that 'The empire doesn't have to take responsibility for the actions of colonies anymore'
Or something along those lines.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   
Why don't we all celebrate the bad economy together?

At least we have that much in common for sure.

Independence day!

New meaning, we have been liberated from freedom, liberty and opportunity!

We can all celebrate a new era of taxation, deprivation and tyranny together!

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
I guess we should celebrate here too in Ireland now that Barrack has visted his ancestral home . We should give our support(not)

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:42 PM
link   
reply to post by KristianTNA

I mean what else can I say? Welcome to America.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   
ASDA is owned by Walmart. The fact that they are advertising Independence Day is just another reason I won't set foot in ASDA. It is the worst supermarket chain. Cheap tat.

Regards

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
reply to post by Extralien

It's "Shopping Center", not "Shopping Centre". According to official grammatical rules accepted throughout the world, the American spelling of a word always trumps the English or Canadian spelling of a word. Thought everyone knew that. In fact, the English Language really should be called "The American Language".

Not really, America only changes the spelling because people are too stupid to spell it properly so they have to simplify it.

ph > f
ou > o
etc.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
English people wont care about it, hardly anyone knows when St Georges day is yet everyone knows when St Patricks day is and we celebrate that more than St Georges day.

We dont have the "were the best and everyone else is inferior" attitude that so many Americans have and it cant be a coincidence that the people with that attitude have never been abroad.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Well seeing as most americans don´t even know what independance day is about who cares. After all all the celebrations or bank holidays are based on bull# anyway, take easter or christmas, pure fiction based holidays.

www.youtube.com...

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by IAmAnAlien

Thats the biggest pile of bull iv ever heard.

TBH most brits look down their noses at America.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:26 PM
link   
that's nothing compared to christmas music and decorations before.....halloween !!!!!

ugh

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
If we would not have been fighting the French at the same time (by far a more formidable force) then maybe you would not be celebrating ID at all.

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ezappa
If we would not have been fighting the French at the same time (by far a more formidable force) then maybe you would not be celebrating ID at all.

I wouldn't brag about that

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ezappa

In actuality the British had by far the best and most brainwashed soldiers possible, but not many of them.
So 30,000 German mercaneries were brought over to fight for the british, but,
All the young men of Massachusets had gone to boston to join revere, that left all Young girls on the farms alone.
the german mercaneries were big blue eyed farmers boys.....they were not bothered about fighting, they liked America and the girls, hence a large german population in New England.
And only by one vote was the English language adaopted, ozzervise You vould all be talking differently.
And your roads would be far better.

That is how America became independant, in the hay stacks.
gravitor

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gravitor

This is what I like....REAL history...not the stuff in the books

As for celebrating Independence day...I drink enough cola as it is lol

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
Well im british but we need to remember ...we as british were not a nice nation,at this time.So its a case of changes in attitudes and time ..is a great healer..its not a bad thing!!!We have born many great nations that have may be surpassed us tough luck..lol.4th of july o dot was a long time a go..

posted on Jul, 3 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
LOL

I would take this as an insult as its marketing campaign is not at celebrating independence day but rather to make more $$$$...sheez how low can you go......oh yeah its time to limbo...!

But would the stores in the U.K. have this or could be classified as terrorist weapon

edit on 3-7-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join