It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK supermarket asks British citizens to celebrate Independence Day.

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Sherlock Holmes

Yes, you've destroyed your own argument Sherlock. The male synchronised swimming is in fact relatively detached and cool but your American football pic ! What can I say ? Holy carrumbah, and I'm not even gay !

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bridge_Boy

Originally posted by Alfie1

Originally posted by MrHappyman989
Ah nothing like a good old fashioned slagging match between the US and UK. We're better, no WE'RE better, No We are, NO we are and so on and on and on and on it goes.

Can't we just admit no ones is better than the other, we're both the same and the only people on here creating friction are trolls and muppets?

You are quite right and I'm sorry I got involved in it. As a Brit I can honestly say I have never talked to another Brit who resents 4 July. I think there is a general recognition that if the split hadn't happened in 1776 then it was bound to have happened in the 50 years after that. With the expansion and spread westward there was no way rule from London could have continued for ever.

So I think I am probably like most Brits in being pleased that we are now fairly good friends.

Suck up... you sure you're not Canadian?

If I was a Canadian wouldn't I be spitting venom ?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by korathin

HEEELLL NAW *clears throat* Although the majority of puertoricans support statehood or the commonwealth,
the do so cause of the "dumbing down" of the population, congress will never give us statehood. Good news for the independentistas like me.

Back on topic: Same thing happens here in PR, the 4th of July is promoted here because "we're part of the nation" LMAO. Puertoricans use it as an excuse to get drunk and go to the beach, nobody celebrates american independence. Thanks to american brainwashing the words "independence" "republic" "freedom" "revolution" are a bit taboo...ironic isn't it?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I like the way that Americans will vaingloriously go on about being granted independence by Britain, but neglect to mention the fact that, within 85 years of losing the trusty hand of British control and consequently without the paternal, authoritative and watchful eye of their colonial master, this new nation of hicks, yokels and hillbillies attempted to tear their own country apart in a Civil War, all because half of them still wanted to keep black people as slaves !

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

The official treay said one thing, the Empire's actions were another. They continued to force US citizens into service and treated the US government more like a backwater step child than a truly independent nation. That would not change until the Treaty of Ghent.

I am well aware of us starting the war. The last two objectives of the war, the Empire failed to achieve, the capture of Baltimore and New Orleans. I know the Treaty of Ghent was signed before the British assault on New Orleans, but neither side in the field knew, hence a second failed objective. I wouldn't call that a win.

The Empire defended itself and the Republic defended itself. It was more of a stalemate than anything and yes Napoleon kept the Empire busy enough that they could care less about going back and spanking their back water step child.

I never said the maelstrom was divine, but it did change the course of American history. It kept DC from being completely razed and forced a retreat by British landing forces.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
It's called a NUCLEAR BOMB. Remember that little thing we invented 1945? Umm....yeah. We could have wiped Berlin of the friggin' map (for a few years) like we did Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

Another history tip for you, go look up the Tube Alloys project and then the Tizard mission. Without the former, no0 bomb whatsoever and without the latter, it would never have made it to America in the first place, along with other tech like Jet engines and RADAR....

My god, some people...

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MikeboydUS

Well, at least you're not peddling the line of the US "winning" that war, which is my biggest bug bear. A draw seems a valid conclusion..

And when you say "Empire" and "Republic", it sounds soooo much like you're talking about Star Wars!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by stumason

I was going for that comparison.

May the Fourth be with you!

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Cryptonomicon

Yeah you invented it.....with german scientists....LMAO.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by IAmAnAlien
In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is).

That's laughable. Everyone I know hates Americans and wouldn't be caught celebrating Independance day. LOL..

Considering Canada Day was 3 days ago, no one here is even aware it's Independance day, nope it's July 4th here.

Where exactly did you get that information?? That's seriously wrong from where i'm standing.

and if you're canadian then you must be like right on the border or in some town where like everyone loves Americans or something, here in Greater Vancouver, every single person I ask says the same thing, #### americans. sorry.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillynilly
I think England should not celebrate the 4rth of july at all..

It is like america celebrating cinco demayo..

I can assure you that the majority of English people won't even know that it's the national day of the US today, let alone care about it.

I've never heard of any major celebration on the 4th of July in Britain.

The only reason why ASDA are making a thing of it is because they are owned by Americans, and they want to sell some American-themed promotions !

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

In Canada, for example, I know for a fact that Independence Day is bigger than Christmas or Canada Day (whatever the name of that holiday is).

and if you're canadian then you must be like right on the border or in some town where like everyone loves Americans or something, here in Greater Vancouver, every single person I ask says the same thing, #### americans. sorry.

Interestingly enough, every five or so years we Americans get together and start considering annexing Vancouver B.C. We know that if we sent up a couple Marines and a single tank everyone in Vancouver B.C. would be kicking back, watching the NFL and enjoying ice cold Budweisers while talking about how great it is to have finally become the new city "Seattle Part 2" within about a week.

However, the decision to invade Canada always comes to a screeching halt when somebody says, "Vancouver B.C. would be a totally cool city - if it weren't for all the Canadians living in it". Everyone in attendance just starts nodding their heads and decides against the invasion plans.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
There has always been a thing for independence day up here in West Cumbria, probably because George Washingtons Grandmother is buried here (8 miles from me to be precise). It's stupid to celebrate an alleged defeat.

Besides, haven't some secret documents surfaced that indicate America never won the war of independence, they just agreed to pay rent to the crown in return for being left alone?? Can someone help me out here, I'm sure I watched a documentary on these papers.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:31 PM
link   
reply to post by KristianTNA

this sounds to me like nothing more than a business trying to fit in another special occassion that will ramp up sales on an annual basis, if it took off it could become another special occasion, like easter, fathers day etc.

i do not think they care about the in's and outs of it, they are just trying to make it stick in the hope........

i do not think it will catch on, its great for americans to celebrate but i think it should stay with americans, we are not american, we a british, and i wish to remain so.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Interestingly enough, every five or so years we Americans get together and start considering annexing Vancouver B.C. We know that if we sent up a couple Marines and a single tank everyone in Vancouver B.C. would be kicking back, watching the NFL and enjoying ice cold Budweisers while talking about how great it is to have finally become the new city "Seattle Part 2" within about a week.

However, the decision to invade Canada always comes to a screeching halt when somebody says, "Vancouver B.C. would be a totally cool city - if it weren't for all the Canadians living in it". Everyone in attendance just starts nodding their heads and decides against the invasion plans.

Seriously, Eric Cartman, why are you still talking on here?

Anyone know where the ignore button is for this guy?

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by something wicked

Originally posted by Cryptonomicon
reply to post by something wicked

U crazy? The Americans could have beat the Germans single handedly. EASILY.

It's called a NUCLEAR BOMB. Remember that little thing we invented 1945? Umm....yeah. We could have wiped Berlin of the friggin' map (for a few years) like we did Hiroshima and Nagasaki.

edit on 4-7-2011 by Cryptonomicon because: (no reason given)

Uhhh as an American, i had to say no. The idea of the A-bomb was the creation of the Brits. Google up MAUD Project. The Manhattan protect was a joint effort by America, Canada, and Britain.

posted on Jul, 4 2011 @ 06:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Illusionsaregrander
reply to post by wcitizen

You are absolutely correct, of course. Its just not really what the OP was about.

Rather than celebrate our illusory independence from foreign control, we should be going about making it a political reality in tne US by rooting out the traitors in our government. If the PTB want a shared holiday for independence between the Brits and the Americans, maybe we should just coordinate and rid our selves of the people bleeding our nations dry and selling our sovereignty on the open market at the same time.

I like your thinking!

posted on Jul, 5 2011 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Bridge_Boy
I personally hide inside when the sun comes out because I find it a little frightening.
edit on 4-7-2011 by IAmAnAlien because: USA USA USA

Yes you strike me as that sort. Now back to grandmas basement you weirdo....

<< 8  9  10    12 >>

join