It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

How many children were SUPPOSED to be playing Red Dead Redemption.... answer.. ZERO, it's not a kids game.

Exactly. And to me, it all goes back to parenting.

Parents do have control over what their kids do and play with.

Which goes back to the OP suggestion that video games are bad...no, the parents are bad for letting their kids play them. This is why we have a game rating system.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Red Dead Redemption helped me to lucid dream.

edit on 1-7-2011 by RightInTwo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

I've played violent video games every day (almost) since 8th grade...I'm about to be a Junior in highschool this year and I've never even thought about doing something as idiotic as imitating a video game. I'm into astronomy, politics, physics and well...Conspiracies. Games aren't bad, there just something to do.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
These days parent's themselves are children. Even at the age of 18.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
As technology improves will morally questionable people use VR to engage in activity would get them locked up in real life? Absolutely.

Should we use this as a reason to throttle the tech? No.

OP you seem to find the idea of games corrupting. You're looking at it all wrong. Game playing is fantasy, escapism, its just an evolution of what plays, books and film have been doing previously. It gives people an ability to vicariously participate in things they cant/wont do in reality.

The games we make reflect us, they don't drive us. Some of that reflection isn't pretty, sex and violence has always sold.

However, even if some is ugly, none of it is a problem if kept in the realm of fantasy. If somebody is a good law abiding person in real life I don't care if he's a murdering gangster in VR.

Most adults can easily tell the difference between fantasy and reality. The ones that cannot are dangerous regardless what media they are exposed to and what time period they live.

On the issue of crazed game addict kids. That is a parenting problem. Truly it is.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:27 PM
link   
They are something to do for some, such as some middle eastern man playing a flight simulator. Or a pedophile in second life. Do me a favor folks. Google the game Manhunt. As I'm sure many kids played that one too. Only one of the most violent games ever..

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant

And who's fault is that? Video games I suppose?

Look, the answer is to stop children accessing these adult rated games, I don't have the answer, but the answer is certainly not to blame the games themselves, that's looking for a scapegoat to a social problem.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
I think you're misplacing the blame here, OP. You should probably be blaming a preexisting mental condition in the case of violence, not the video games that they play.

Just to put into perspective what I am saying:

I knew a girl in high school who was very clearly off in the head. She abused me physically for about three years before she dragged me into her house, went on an hour-long rant about how she wanted to shoot up our school while showing off all of her FPS games, and then tried to pin me down on her bed and have her way with me.

Clearly violent. However.

I am a christian/Unitarian and a pacifist. I have friends that believe firmly in nonviolence. This doesnt stop us from playing Left 4 Dead on occasion, though, because it isn't hurting anyone. We like zombies. We do not feel violent afterwards because we are normal, stable people.

Think about it.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

Most of those videos are fake attempting to parody some of the real ones.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:30 PM
link   

They are something to do for some, such as some middle eastern man playing a flight simulator. Or a pedophile in second life. Do me a favor folks. Google the game Manhunt. As I'm sure many kids played that one too. Only one of the most violent games ever..

You're picking the outliers for your examples. For every game like "Manhunt" there are 100 games like Red Dead Redemption or Portal 2, etc.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:31 PM
link   
you should watch the other parts as well op

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Does everyone realize that our parents (I'm in my 30's, for reference) grew up watching dismemberments, cannibalism, murder, assault, blood and gore, etc.?

Heck, just watch some of the old Tom & Jerry cartoons, where you can see a cat get sliced into CUBES!!!

Yet, miraculously, that generation seems ok....

Granted, today's video games are more realistic, but yes, it is the fault of the parents if their child is playing games that aren't rated for them. That said, some more enforcement of it wouldn't hurt. However, even then, kids will be kids, and it doesn't take a genius to distinguish reality from fantasy, wrong from right.

I played a lot of RPG gaming when younger too, where we'd use our imaginations to do things unheard of even in some of the most vile games...still, it didn't mean we go around hacking up real people with swords or anything.

The problem isn't necessarily the games themselves, it's the lack of parenting these days that don't provide a proper mental framework to allow kids the ability to disassociate themselves from it. Most parents allow the TV and Video Games to be de facto babysitters. So, the kid spends more hours in la la land than in real life. THAT is the real issue, not the games themselves.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

How exactly are parents children themselves? What exactly defines as being an adult in your book? I guess your definition of an adult is a boring old couple who do nothing but sit in their house all day. I really don't understand why you are calling adults children? Please explain yourself further. I'm guessing you are an older person. Are you the type of guy to say "In my day........" or something like that?.....

Manhunt... crudge graphics and a rather rubbish game. Yes it's rather violent but its one game in 100,000's of games out there. Not all games are like manhunt...
And to be quite honest if anyone likes manhunt they should be ashamed of themselves because its a rubbish game.

To be honest if you look into our history its pretty obvious that humans quite like seeing violence. Gladiators, Swordplay, Boxing, MMA... even something like American Football or Rugby. Violence is engrained in humanity and accepted within reason in our society. I think that is more worrying than some violent video game... But heck who doesn't love watching abit of boxing

Really the increase in violent video games is down to the fact that the young gamers from the Commandore 64 age now want something more. Most of us are now adults and are bored with saving the pretty princess over and over. Now, because we are older, we want involved story lines and action that excites us.The adult games aren't made for children in the first place.

Also you get the odd whackjob in every society. There are millions of gamers out there an only a handful of people who shoot their friends. I don't see that as a problem caused by games. I see that as a problem caused by mentally ill people.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Noviz because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
1. Wrong forum. Should be in the video game forum right? But awesome I can post on a topic I actually know a lot about because...well its my job.

Video games or virtual reality are inherently bad and extremely detrimental to society. I will share some of my feelings and gatherings, and hopefully you can do the same. There are so many games out there, with so much content, not through years of gaming have I even scratched the surface. I'll show you what I've gathered as well as share some of my own experiences and takes on things.

First off, Video games are not a virtual reality. There is no such thing as a virtual reality. There is no reality other than this reality the one we are in right now.

Just a quick personal experience I had while at a local fun arcade. There was a pretty cool flight simulation game, with a man of eastern descent, wearing a remember 9/11 shirt. This man played this game for HOURS. Sorry if that was a tasteless way to begin, but its something I'll never forget. Could I blame the guy? Video games are ultimately simulators. Haven't you ever thought, what would this be like? I have.

I'm going to pretend you didn't just judge a middle eastern man for playing a flight simulator? This is the land of the free (supposing you're in the US) he can be a pilot if he wants man.

Anyone can create, anyone can play Anyone can create a game, and anyone can play a game. A group of psychopaths could create a game, and maybe they have, and guess what: it gets put out for all the world to play.

Not anyone can create a game. Have you ever tried? You have to be a good programer for starters then you have to be a good artist. It goes on and on.

Although there has been controversy in the past about extremely violent for no reason games. Such as Postal or that one game where people went through a school shooting people. Crazy people will be crazy. It doesn't relate to video games.

Take quick glimpse of Silent Hill.

Silent Hill is a horror game. Take a look at SAW or any other extremely bloody horror movie.

You just had a glimpse. Now imagine not just a glimpse, but a fantasy land full of bodies, disembowels, crucifixions, and pools of blood on top of the creepiest music you've ever heard of. Could you imagine some sorts of psychological affects on a child/teen? I'm not going to find every gory and violent picture, you get it.

You're trolling right? I'm not trying to be rude but...what????

Many game's offer characters we love, characters we hate, ten fold over movies and the like. In a video game, one is the killer, one is the elf, that character becomes a part of you, and you a part of it. When was the last time you found your palms and feet sweating because of a picture, or a movie? I could turn some games right now and literally be immersed, physically and mentally. My senses are heightened, and I tell you adrenalines-a-flowin.

So you're basing this entire concept on the fact that you get addicted to video games and can't stop?

You aren't everyone and everyone isn't you buddy.

I am detached, and immersed in that world. Nothing in this world matters. That's a problem folks. For someone to tell me this hasn't been shaping our psyche would be silly. There could be hundreds or thousands of murderers who was given a fantasy, and that fantasy wasn't good enough anymore. So they act out, violently, sadistically.

Dude get help. I feel bad replying to your post because you're obviously trolling. Good job though.

Oh wonderful, it's the most advanced shooter in existence, and I can plant bombs and join the terrorirsts. These days, even the military train with games.

Cool story???

Depending on your preferences, you can have sex with someone who is older or younger than you — perhaps much older or younger. In fact, if your virtual character is an adult, you can have sex with a virtual character who is a child. If you did that in the real world, most of us would agree that you did something seriously wrong. But is it seriously wrong to have virtual sex with a virtual child?

No you can't. I've never seen a game that lets you rape children. If that game exists then by all means get rid of it and kill the creator of it.

I contest! When do these gross fantasies on games cross over into real life? More often than we're aware of I'd assume. Weather its imagining this game is your life, or this game truly being your life, or part of your very fiber, The Virtual world is outdoes that of our cognitive reality. Provides us with gross simulations, and as future technologies come about I'd assume video games will have nothing to do with "video" at all, and just be complete mind simulation like in Minority Report.. Ah.. and you thought that the avatar blues was bad... Instead of furthering our own race, we must level our virtual characters instead, get fat and drink mountain dew.

They don't cross over into real life. That is unless you're already a psychopath.

If you're addicted it's your fault. Not the games. Blaming the game for your addiction is taking responsibility away from yourself. You control yourself. Nobody else. Be responsible!

Can anyone really argue that video games/virtual-reality is in anyway GOOD for us, or not terrible for our society? I just want to be like Mario.. fool with pipes and chase mushrooms all day.

You know what dude. You are right. Lets just take away all of the violent books, movies, tv shows and let our kids grow up in a non-violent world that doesn't exist.

Congratulations! You've saved the world by explaining why video games are evil.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Darkblade71

One of my point's is, to some of these players in virtual worlds it starts as some sort of outlet for say a pedophile. At what point do these gross simulations tempt one to actually act out, because the virtual world is not doing the job anymore? Is it not a tease for these people, and thus make it even more difficult in the real world to cope with such problems?

So because there are a few sick twisted people out there who "might" act on something they already wanna do in the real world, everyone should be banned from such activities such as video games? Might as well get rid of just about everything mankind has made.

You wanna end all of these problems? Get rid of money, cause there is where the true evil resides. Sex and violence sells like nothing else. Such is the human animal.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Right.....

Games are our generations Rock and roll... or catcher in the rye or whatever other piece of against the grain, taboo type art that people want too blame for social issues.

Games... TV... Books..art.....Music have all been blamed throughout the ages for poinsoning our children... for causing murders or deamons or whatever the relevant fear was at the time.....

some people can be chemically unbalanced, and can be affected by the Art (in whatever form it comes in) that they are subjected too, however you cannot blame the art for this, if it was games (in your opinion) it would be as mentioned in other posts - Holywood blockbusters about unpleasant ways of life (see saw, hostel etc.)

I feel (as a gamer, an IT tech, comany owner, father, and well rounded individual) that blaming Games (or whatever art) is done by people who are scared of the world around them and need somthing to blame to make it feel like they have control of this world still.. of there issues,

another poster said about the 12 year mmorpg addiction, i have played mmorpgs for many years, joked about how much of life they have (at times) taken up, however its just because i enjoy gaming, just like i have sat for days just listening to the pink floyd back cataloge or sat on a beech for weeks enjoying the sun, doesnt mean i was addicted to them,

froma phsycological point of view... maybe you were looking for somthing (or more importantly) getting somthing from the games you werent in real life (or at least you percieved you werent in real life)

Anyway... All art can be seen as wrong if you are looking for somthing to blame, you should realise it is infact the person who wants somthing to blame and has problems (in some form) and not the art in this question...

also i love halo..... just i feel you should understand this is from the point of view of someone who has seriously though about getting a halo tattoo...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

Patroling the Mojave almost make you wish for a nuclear winter, dont you think ?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
They only affect people who are predisposed to that sort of violence anyway.

If video games had the widespread affect you are describing, there would be school shootings EVERY DAY that school is in session. That would be schools in different counties, cities, states, and countries.

Know why that isn't happening? Believe it or not, the majority of gamers can differentiate fantasy from reality.

You're either trolling or a moron, I hope the former.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Thanks for reminding me OP. brb Im gonna go throw a grenade into a nightclub in GTAIV.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Conciliatore

I like the DC wasteland better.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join