It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant

Video games or virtual reality are inherently bad and extremely detrimental to society.

Wii helps Cerebral Palsy sufferers

Wii helps with health and fitness

Gaming helps the lonely

Video games help childrens mental development

OP you get the idea..... shall I continue?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Suspiria

Sure

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by sarra1833

You win the argument simply by having Boone as your avatar - and of all the topics to debate with such a thing, video games is the perfect one

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Are you kidding? I read a lot of books that help me escape reality, with many adult subject matter. Are these authors also psychopaths?..How about movies that we watch?...you are trolling friend this entertainment is just a extension of our imagination...these thoughts that we put on the page, silver screen and video games is us so what we produce has been with us a long time. If you have a problem distinguishing reality from a video game you need help DO NOT blame the entertainment blame yourself.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

as a kid, and someone who plays video games, i see no problem wiht them except yes they are violent. Personally though, alot of this showing of murder and all the hell that is going on in the world shows kids and prepares them for the truth.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by sarra1833
I'll take it you're either highly religious or one ignorant troll.
The smallest wee-est barely countable percent of gamers actually take it as real life and they deserve to be locked up for life LOL
I'm a total Christian, would never harm a soul, love mankind, have hope and peace that all will work out at some point in my great grandkids future with world peace, etc ;

But I love love love love LOVE me some Silent Hill, Call of Duty, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and Left for Dead 2 and so on. I'm 38 years old. Female. My son is almost 17 and he's been a gamer for ages now. He and his friends surely know the difference between games, movies and real life. Just because one takes on a role for a game doesn't mean that's how they are in reality.

Get out some. Realize that the majority don't see games as real life. Please.

How about you go back into your cage. To demostrate how unintelligent your silly response was, I'm going to discuss just ONE genre you listed, since I can write an entire PhD dissertation on many aspects of any genre, you can imagine: MMORPGs. It is a well established fact that to succeed in MMORPGs one has to devote a large amount of their time into them. People are known AS FACT to lose friends, live more sedentary lifestyles, do worse in school and work, among other things, why? I will explain to you ignorant ones in a moment. I frankly couldn't give two s%$ts if you're Christian. The human psyche is heavily susceptible to attack unless you've trained yourself not to be, and trust me Christianity is no exception. Proof lies in the fact that you believe world peace is viable in your grandkids lifetime, but that's another story.

Games are not just about killing, which he spoke of in great detail:

Experience: Probably the most sadistic element in games from which all other problems emerge. Not only do you have to try to achieve feats, but you cannot directly go about doing it. You have to play nearly endlessly in order to attain an achievement which logically doesn't make sense to begin with. An example would be to kill monsters all day just to reach a level where you can now use a spell or enter a dungeon. Games could incorporate skill and teamwork more as dungeon difficulty, but no, a monster will kill you in one hit if you're too low.

Currency: It is money which many people dream of today, and the endless and tiring pursuit of which has led some to the escapist world of MMORPG fantasy and shooter games. It is a break from the harsh reality of having to work 40 hours a week just to survive. But...OH wait..There's currency in game now! And you have to go about earning it through professions, controlling auction houses, or just downright killing monsters, which is a job of its own. This is to me, simply another branch of experience. Because nothing is possible without it, you can't even play the damn game since your armor loses durability, so you need money to repair it. Money makes the world as well as the fantasy world go round. This is also the perfect addition for all those who love pursuing money and material wealth to begin with, which quite frankly is the majority of the populace of the planet. Hell most kids love fashion and the desire to be different, which is exactly what in game currency promises you. The most impressive looks are always quite expensive, for example.

Armor: This is by far the biggest trick to pulling in the audience in my opinion. Why? Armor promises power. Without armor, you are a scrub which is useless for anything. The pursuit of armor of the highest and strongest caliber comes from a near obsessive level of dedication, which again leads to the pursuit of currency to assist the life deteriorating grind, etc...

Armor also exemplifies the human desire for power which is inherent in differing degrees across all people. power = respect, admiration, and attention. If you've never played an MMO, don't even open your mouth on this. everything I've mentioned is reflective of games today, because it is very obvious that the only thing they seek to do is not to address the problems fans have with games, but to intentionally attack the psychology of humanity. it draws you in and it has it's effects. Examples of this are escapism, from which you begin to see the real world as more mundane, you become socially awkward, etc. Also you become more aggressive when people try to stop or make an issue of your attention to this game, which results in bad relationships with friends, mothers, fathers, etc.

These aspects barely touch the surface of what it does to the human being, I will even go into what happens biologically within the human body when they play these games, but I know from your posts, that some of you are probably too ignorant to understand. You will never understand how complex the science of game creation is, or will be in the future.

In conclusion, it is utterly shocking but at the same time totally expected, that parent gamers find no problems with what it is they do and pass down to their children. Quite frankly it is no different than indoctrinating them with religion, for example Christianity. but we all know you probably did that too.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Ewok_Boba because: I felt like it

edit on 1-7-2011 by Ewok_Boba because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   

Man Hunt was awesome it was a great game....there are so much more atrocity's happening in the world today. Reality is much more Terrible than anything we can put out. every day we see something on the news, on the internet, this site even that should churn our stomachs,,, do not blame our imagination because reality shapes our imagination.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Ewok_Boba

And you have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   

I will have to say that video games are not wrong as they are just games. If you look ate some games, for example, RPGs (Role Playing Games) you will see that the game is about a story that is being told - granted some are good and bad storylines but stories none the less. Other types of games are just pure entertainment and nothing more.

I wouldn't blame video games for and violence today caused by people because, lets face it, it is people and their voletile personalities that are to blame. We all know right from wrong, some people just choose to ignore that and do as they please.

Blaming a video game for problems is like blaming books as well and i doubt you'll go out and books a whole lot of books. You might as well say that all books, movies, tv programmes, news papers and even the internet is bad.

Video games are just there for entertainment and nothing else.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by yakuzakid

Yea I listen to alot of Black Metal and Death Metal. Some days I just listen to Doom or Thrash, then party days its punk, real punk no fake crap. By the way what is gabba?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:27 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
With regard to computer games there needs to a system of CENSORSHIP like as there already exists for the movie industry. Adult material should not be in the hands of the infant. How do we define adult ? For most they regard themselves as adult when they reach eighteen. In some countries that age is often even as young as eight. In other countries or states it might be twenty-one or even twenty-three. However, for me it is the age of thirty. It is not until we are at least thirty that we develop what is called frontal lobe activation. Frontal lobe activation is the true scientific definition of adulthood. Since without frontal lobe activation the person is not having any morality. Without any higher brain to control the reptilian cortex the person of any age will be simply a reptilian predator from hell. Sex and drugs and violence. The higher brain sedates the reptilian cortex by secreting dopamine. Because of drugs abuse [including alcohol and tobacco] the higher brain loses control of the reptilian cortex. It is thus that a true adult will not find the computer games stimulating. Only the infantile and reptilians will find the computer games stimulating. However, as responsible minded adults we should be protecting the children such that they will not be exposed to such adult material. Unfortunately market forces as well as the military agenda make the situation such that the children are an easy target.

Относительно компютерных игр там нужна система ЦЕНЗУРЫ как как там уже существуют для киноиндустрии. Взрослый материал не должен находиться в руках младенца. Как мы определяем взрослого? Для большой части они считают как взрослый когда они достигают 18. В некоторых странах которые время часто как только детеныши как 8. В других странах или положениях оно могл быть 21 или даже 23. Однако для меня время 30. Оно нет до тех пор пока мы не будем хотя бы 30 которому мы начинаем что вызвано активацией прифронтового лепестка. Активация прифронтового лепестка истинное научное определение зрелости. В виду того что без активации прифронтового лепестка персона не имеет никакую нравственность. Без любого более высокого мозга для того чтобы контролировать корку гад персона любого времени будет просто хищником гад от ада. Секс и снадобья и расправа. Более высокий мозгболеутоление корка гад путем делать допамин секретным. Из-за злоупотребления снадобиь [включая спирт и табак] более высокий мозг теряет управление коркы гад. Он таким образом что истинный взрослый не найдет, что компютерные игры простимулировали. Только ребячье и гад найдут, что компютерные игры простимулировали. Однако, как ответственные запомненные взрослые мы должны защищать детей такие что они не подвергнутся действию к такому взрослому материалу. Несчастливо силы рынка так же, как воинская повестка дня делают ситуацией такие что дети легкая цель.

AVE RAEGINA CAELINA LA DEUS NOSTRA CAELI LA VERA DEUS
edit on 1/7/2011 by CAELENIUM because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Ewok_Boba

I have made many friends playing video games that i would have never been able to without them. Video games helps us connect to people. I stay connected to friends and family through video games that i would have lost touch with years ago. I work hard and its my right to put on my headset connect with my friends and earn some armor while playing Halo reach. I am a proud avid gamer. These games help us connect to one another when the reality's of our world bare down on us, it is nice to connect to one another in these games.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by 4Starlight2Decay0

Same musical preferences. Check out Bulldog Courage. I think they're based in Albany NY. Maybe Saratoga. I dunno. AnywayGabba I think he's talking about that.

Anyway I have the same musical preference as a couple pointed out, I have around 25 FPS PS3 games, been playing FPS since their inception. I don't even know how many PS2 games I have involving gore and whatnot. I'm the "weird guy" at work I'll admit, but I'm not planning on going on a shooting rampage.

I actually do have rage problems, and if anything FPS games have always helped bring stress down. And beating the hell out of a heavy bag occasionally.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I used to play Chutes and Ladders so much, that my primary mode of transport was slides for years at a time. It was tough to break that cycle, but I did and it was only through the game of tag. After years of abusing tag though, I found myself slapping people in the arm's or torso's and frantically running away from them. People I didn't know thought I had a mental disorder or perhaps subscribed to an alternate way of communicating.

To the OP, I disagree with all you said. Thank you for your post though.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
I take it the OP doesn't realise that when you visit that site in GTA4, you instantly get a few stars and the cops and FBI after you? Or that the little girls in Bioshock have been genetically modified and that you have a choice to either kill or save them and not just kill as he mentioned?

Are the Mario games teaching us all to jump on people's heads, save princesses and throw fireballs at each other courtesy of flowers that grant those powers?

Videogames are an escape from reality and only the most psychotic and unbalanced people who go undetected from the mental health system go on to enact these things in real life.

Hey OP, quick question. Are you Jack Warner?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:38 PM
link   

The smallest wee-est barely countable percent of gamers actually take it as real life and they deserve to be locked up for life LOL
I'm a total Christian, would never harm a soul, love mankind, have hope and peace that all will work out at some point in my great grandkids future with world peace, etc ;

But I love love love love LOVE me some Silent Hill, Call of Duty, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas and Left for Dead 2 and so on. I'm 38 years old. Female. My son is almost 17 and he's been a gamer for ages now. He and his friends surely know the difference between games, movies and real life. Just because one takes on a role for a game doesn't mean that's how they are in reality.

yeah, the OP is a troll, I've been gaming most my life, back when I was in college, it was a fun way to unwind after a day of classes and cruddy part time jobs.

no matter what it is, if anyone finds it fun or enjoyable, someone will protest it

and videogames are just like any media, there's some good, some bad, some that's art, some that's d-grade scifi monsterfest of the week, most of it someone's creative efforts, try not to crap on it
edit on 1-7-2011 by Gren because: hit post too soon

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ewok_Boba

How about you go back into your cage. To demostrate how unintelligent your silly response was, I'm going to discuss just ONE genre you listed, since I can write an entire PhD dissertation on many aspects of any genre, you can imagine: MMORPGs. It is a well established fact that to succeed in MMORPGs one has to devote a large amount of their time into them. People are known AS FACT to lose friends, live more sedentary lifestyles, do worse in school and work, among other things, why? I will explain to you ignorant ones in a moment. I frankly couldn't give two s%$ts if you're Christian. The human psyche is heavily susceptible to attack unless you've trained yourself not to be, and trust me Christianity is no exception. Proof lies in the fact that you believe world peace is viable in your grandkids lifetime, but that's another story.

Games are not just about killing, which he spoke of in great detail:

Experience: Probably the most sadistic element in games from which all other problems emerge. Not only do you have to try to achieve feats, but you cannot directly go about doing it. You have to play nearly endlessly in order to attain an achievement which logically doesn't make sense to begin with. An example would be to kill monsters all day just to reach a level where you can now use a spell or enter a dungeon. Games could incorporate skill and teamwork more as dungeon difficulty, but no, a monster will kill you in one hit if you're too low.

Currency: It is money which many people dream of today, and the endless and tiring pursuit of which has led some to the escapist world of MMORPG fantasy and shooter games. It is a break from the harsh reality of having to work 40 hours a week just to survive. But...OH wait..There's currency in game now! And you have to go about earning it through professions, controlling auction houses, or just downright killing monsters, which is a job of its own. This is to me, simply another branch of experience. Because nothing is possible without it, you can't even play the damn game since your armor loses durability, so you need money to repair it. Money makes the world as well as the fantasy world go round. This is also the perfect addition for all those who love pursuing money and material wealth to begin with, which quite frankly is the majority of the populace of the planet. Hell most kids love fashion and the desire to be different, which is exactly what in game currency promises you. The most impressive looks are always quite expensive, for example.

Armor: This is by far the biggest trick to pulling in the audience in my opinion. Why? Armor promises power. Without armor, you are a scrub which is useless for anything. The pursuit of armor of the highest and strongest caliber comes from a near obsessive level of dedication, which again leads to the pursuit of currency to assist the life deteriorating grind, etc...

Armor also exemplifies the human desire for power which is inherent in differing degrees across all people. power = respect, admiration, and attention. If you've never played an MMO, don't even open your mouth on this. everything I've mentioned is reflective of games today, because it is very obvious that the only thing they seek to do is not to address the problems fans have with games, but to intentionally attack the psychology of humanity. it draws you in and it has it's effects. Examples of this are escapism, from which you begin to see the real world as more mundane, you become socially awkward, etc. Also you become more aggressive when people try to stop or make an issue of your attention to this game, which results in bad relationships with friends, mothers, fathers, etc.

These aspects barely touch the surface of what it does to the human being, I will even go into what happens biologically within the human body when they play these games, but I know from your posts, that some of you are probably too ignorant to understand. You will never understand how complex the science of game creation is, or will be in the future.

In conclusion, it is utterly shocking but at the same time totally expected, that parent gamers find no problems with what it is they do and pass down to their children. Quite frankly it is no different than indoctrinating them with religion, for example Christianity. but we all know you probably did that too.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Ewok_Boba because: I felt like it

edit on 1-7-2011 by Ewok_Boba because: (no reason given)

Oh dear please.... where to start on this one...

No doubting the mmorpg designers want you to play, they make their money from it, they create little tricks to keep you playing called "time sinks" in other words, you sink time into them, to make them money....

BUT to argue that ""Not only do you have to try to achieve feats"" erm.... no you don't, you don't HAVE to do any of it....or ""You have to play nearly endlessly"" erm... no you DON'T....

The people who do so need to get some SELF CONTROL!!

People do become addicted of course and people do lose friends, relationships, I wont doubt that.... BUT do they HAVE TO??? Of course not, don't talk nonsense, it is purely a lack of self control on their part.

I've played almost every mmorpg out there, some for many years and I fully functional, happy, rich and have many friends.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by BiggyMcBigPants

Second time today I wish I could shake the hand of an ATS poster. I laughed so hard my ass fell down the couch.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join