It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by AnonATI
This sounds like the whole gateway theory like with pot and harder drugs. Just because you enjoy disemboweling some pixels on a screen doesn't mean you're gonna go out and slaughter your boss next time they upset you. With all the millions of people that play video games of course you are going to have some that do terrible things in real life. The crazy people also shop at the grocery store, maybe we should be wary of doing that as well?

That's what I'm talking about.

So we can also say that if games are less violent, there would be less individuals that are triggered and do something bad.

We can say that if there are no violent games, that no person on planet would do something bad because of violent games
We now obviously need to find balance, to draw line what is acceptable and what is not. But drawing that line is not possible to be accepted by all people.

So we have much of people that do not see problem at all, and we have people that says nothing is bad in games, no matter how violent.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

My goodness. Is it possible to be any less educated?

There were SO man links when I googled the following that I am just not going to link all the results. Try: "study video games good bad". Every single major study touts how fantastic video games are for people.

I hope you are in charge of nothing in this life which is significant or impacts the lives of others.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
I understand they've got rating systems. The fact still remains children will play these games. Ever think a kid or teen, or even adult, played a game, got addicted, lost his friends, got depressed, then killed himself? Nope, noone made him play. But he did. And coders and game designers have 1 intention: Suck you in.

Ever think a video game was the cause of someone becomming mentally unstable, depressed? Wake up people. It's doing it every day.

An FCC commissioner has stated that video game "addiction," especially to World of Warcraft, is a "leading cause" of college dropouts. (Nevermind that 90% of the people diagnosed with "video game addiction" don't have any such condition, even according to the crazily broad definition used by its proponents).

You might find it alarming that one of the top reasons for college drop-outs in the U.S. is online gaming addiction - such as World of Warcraft - which is played by 11 million individuals worldwide.

www.boingboing.net...

The recent deaths of two net gamers have once again raised the issue of the impact of addiction on the online gaming community, and the health risks involved.

A 28-years-old man from Beijing, nicknamed "Snowly", died last month after playing the online game "World of Warcraft" for several continuous days during the national day holiday.

news.softpedia.com...

And also, a world of warcraft detox site, as some of you probably need to visit it. Read the comments, please.
wowdetox.com...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

I hate the violent games you mentioned also. I'm a Christian like so many professed to be in on the first page, and I'm sure further on the thread also. My question to them is if you are a Christian, why are you playing such violent games in the first place? What is the draw to the blood, guts, gore, and murder? I'm sorry to tell you if you haven't figured it out already, violent games are evil.

I went to check out what bio shock game you mentioned. I went to the site, and talk about getting the creeps. I actually started to get sick the first couple of minutes I was there. There is something definitely evil there.

I stay and keep my kids away from violet shooter games. They experienced a demo once, and hated it. I consider a good thing. Personally I like more of the casual games found on big fish and shockwave. They don't tend to be as addicitive as farmville on facebook. Many of them have puzzles that make you think such as the Nancy Drew games. Even in the casual games, there are darker games, which all my kids have veered away from.

OP I agree with you. I wonder why some of the violent, sadistic games were even created. Then again why are horror movies created, and why do people like to go to them? The lure of evil, the thrill of it. For games I think of the thought of a world where you are totally free from any laws, morals, and religious boundaries. You can safely do what you will without any repercussions. The type of games played and the way they are played may do more to reveal what is in a person's heart than what they say. Actions often speak louder than words.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady

I went to check out what bio shock game you mentioned. I went to the site, and talk about getting the creeps. I actually started to get sick the first couple of minutes I was there. There is something definitely evil there.

Bioshock definitely isn't evil, although you'd have to play it through to the end to understand. It might be pretty violent but there's a reason it's often called a piece of art.

Edit: And morality is actually a pretty big theme of Bioshock, if you act immoral in the game it will make it pretty clear in the end that you made the wrong choice.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
If you're worried about the effects of being immersed in a fantasy reality, I guess you should start burning every book you can get ahold of.
If you're worried about violence and morbid imagery, you should probably get rid of those bibles and other religious texts.

And, if you're offended, disgusted and horrified by something you see in a video game, you may want to consult a mental health professional as you clearly are unable to distinguish between fantasy and reality.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
I understand they've got rating systems. The fact still remains children will play these games. Ever think a kid or teen, or even adult, played a game, got addicted, lost his friends, got depressed, then killed himself? Nope, noone made him play. But he did. And coders and game designers have 1 intention: Suck you in.

Ever think a video game was the cause of someone becomming mentally unstable, depressed? Wake up people. It's doing it every day.

An FCC commissioner has stated that video game "addiction," especially to World of Warcraft, is a "leading cause" of college dropouts. (Nevermind that 90% of the people diagnosed with "video game addiction" don't have any such condition, even according to the crazily broad definition used by its proponents).

You might find it alarming that one of the top reasons for college drop-outs in the U.S. is online gaming addiction - such as World of Warcraft - which is played by 11 million individuals worldwide.

www.boingboing.net...

The recent deaths of two net gamers have once again raised the issue of the impact of addiction on the online gaming community, and the health risks involved.

A 28-years-old man from Beijing, nicknamed "Snowly", died last month after playing the online game "World of Warcraft" for several continuous days during the national day holiday.

news.softpedia.com...

And also, a world of warcraft detox site, as some of you probably need to visit it. Read the comments, please.
wowdetox.com...

Stop talking about addiction, addiction is lack of SELF CONTROL and nothing to do with video games!

""The American Society of Addiction Medicine has this definition for Addiction:

Addiction is a primary, chronic disease of brain reward, motivation, memory and related circuitry. Dysfunction in these circuits leads to characteristic biological, psychological, social and spiritual manifestations. This is reflected in the individual pursuing reward and/or relief by substance use and other behaviors. The addiction is characterized by impairment in behavioral control, craving, inability to consistently abstain, and diminished recognition of significant problems with one’s behaviors and interpersonal relationships.""

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mystery_Lady

I hate the violent games you mentioned also. I'm a Christian like so many professed to be in on the first page, and I'm sure further on the thread also. My question to them is if you are a Christian, why are you playing such violent games in the first place? What is the draw to the blood, guts, gore, and murder? I'm sorry to tell you if you haven't figured it out already, violent games are evil.

I stay and keep my kids away from violet shooter games. They experienced a demo once, and hated it. I consider a good thing. Personally I like more of the casual games found on big fish and shockwave. They don't tend to be as addicitive as farmville on facebook. Many of them have puzzles that make you think such as the Nancy Drew games. Even in the casual games, there are darker games, which all my kids have veered away from.

OP I agree with you. I wonder why some of the violent, sadistic games were even created. Then again why are horror movies created, and why do people like to go to them? The lure of evil, the thrill of it. For games I think of the thought of a world where you are totally free from any laws, morals, and religious boundaries. You can safely do what you will without any repercussions. The type of games played and the way they are played may do more to reveal what is in a person's heart than what they say. Actions often speak louder than words.

How many people have killed, tortured, murdered and such in the name of religion?? Go have a rethink my dear.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
The OP is entitled to his opinion and that doesn't give anyone the right to belittle him. Geez grow up, no ones going to take away your computer games.

Personally I believe that the increase in violence, whether we are talking about gaming or movies is definitely having an impact on the youth of today. After all, games and movies are a lot more graphic than when I was teenager and in years to come they will be indistinguishable from real life. People are more violent today; that's a proven fact and if it's not movies, games or addiction to technology, then what is the cause? You can't simply say it's all down to bad parenting.

When it comes to the latest movies, I think directors go overboard with blood & gore. There's simply no need and if anything it distracts from the movie, unless it's a horror and that's the whole point of the movie. For other genres, do we really need to see someone get their brains bashed in or cut in half with an axe. Surely if the actor is dead and the camera pans away, that should be enough. With advances in computer graphic technology, I can only imagine what these directors are going to conjure up next.

Quite a lot children today definitely spend way too much time playing computer games and that's the problem, as they can develop all kinds of social & anxiety problems. Moderation is the key. Take the computer hacker whose been all over the news. He locked himself away in his room for weeks on end and now he apparently suffers from social phobia and agoraphobia. Go figure!

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Compared to the majority of gamers only a tiny percentage gets "addicted to games" (which is less to do with the game and more to do with mental problems). Your argument holds little water in my book.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Mystery_Lady

Thanks for one of the few respectful posts I've gotten! These people are so happy with there pyschotic fantasy lands in which they can engage in all sorts of disgusting acts.. Its obvious why we're so dumbed down, and most couldn't care less of the atrositisies of war, because its shoved down our childrens throats, used as babysitters, for thousands upon thousands of hours. And not just war games (which by the way the arm use to train with), its these sadistic images constantly being played into these peoples minds, and the actual feeling and andrenaline these games, not anything like that of television.. In Bioshock, you can even suck out the little girls soul or some crap, how is this okay?

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   

So, essentially, addiction is bad. How is this possibly news to you? Of course addiction is bad, it always has been.

People have been poo-pooing games and gaming forever. Check out D&D in the 1980's. Is it the fault of the game or the people that consume the game and can't handle it? Or perhaps there are already underlying psychological problems that are exacerbated by the games? This is no reason to bar access to everyone else.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

world of warcraft is completely different from your premise, that violent video games cause kids to be violent. yes., world of warcraft can be addicting, but usually because the person is already depressed and wishes to escape into a fantasy world that's different from their sucky life. most don't play for this reason. i used to play world of warcraft, but i lost interest after awhile.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by kindred
Quite a lot children today definitely spend way too much time playing computer games and that's the problem, as they can develop all kinds of social & anxiety problems. Moderation is the key. Take the computer hacker whose been all over the news. He locked himself away in his room for weeks on end and now he apparently suffers from social phobia and agoraphobia. Go figure!

Agreed, it is not the games fault but the lack of self control.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:36 PM
link   
In this debate over are video games the next evil leap forward since rock and roll music using The Columbine High School massacre seems to be a constant staple. The kids involved int hat did play violent video games, they also listen to rocken roll music (punk or metal if remember correctly), They watched violent movies, they where bullied in school, where social outcasts in school, and if I had to hazard a guess they probbaly read comic books or books with more violent undertones to them if they read at all. Also at one point and time many speculated drug use could have also been factor. Not mentioin the mental illness either one of the people could have been suffering from most likely depression but many others are possible as well.

So why just pick the video games out of those many possibilities as the cause?

The worst part about bring the Columbine thing for me is the fact that I myself play violent video games, enjoy horror and sci-fi movies, read sci-fi fantasy and comic books, listen to punk and metal music, and was social outcast/bullied in school. I had the depression but never did the drugs. I find the worst part because I can relate to some degree what these kids where going through but have no freaking clue as to how or why they did what they did. Even on my worst days when I was in highschool I couldn't phathom doing such thing.

Oddly enough it was video games, books, movies, the internet, and good parents that made me not want to give up. All of those things taught me that there is more to life then high school that big and better things come after its school is done. In a way I don't think I could have survived it with out those outlets for my imagination and even frustrations. I only play video games sparingly now (still love the hell out of them.). So you can say there bad all you want but to me they where my life saver.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   

reply to post by Mystery_Lady

In Bioshock, you can even suck out the little girls soul or some crap, how is this okay?

The game makes it pretty clear that that's not okay if you choose to do that.

Edit: And you'll get a bad ending if you do that and the only character in the game who wants to help you condemns your actions. Saving the little girls gets you a much happier ending.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
These games are specifically designed to cause severeaddiction. 11 million just in world of warcraft How is that alright, at all? It goes hand in hand with every point im trying to make. VIDEO GAMES ARE BAD FOR SOCIETY.

I can quote over 53000 people, and how one game has sucked them in and ruin there life, or for the second time

wowdetox.com...

You can read them yourself.

Hell to you people a government goon wrote the testimonials
haha, all 53000.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

link   
Oh hell, I agree
I am a heavy gamer and have no illusions that there are some fantastic twisted games out there.

There are also some wonderfully twisted books out there, etc...whenever you feed your imagination, the medium is usually corrupt with the core darkness within us.

The solution is simple...make game consoles sold like cigarettes..gotta be 18 to own one..

That way, games will then simply be better...target for the 7-17 age, you get a small population of gamers, target the 8 - 108 and you got a large audience...make some kiddy console for kids games, educational and boring, and let them have access to grown up games when they are an adult.

As an adult, I would smile at the prospect of games being tailored for an adult audience verses worry about unfit parents unable to monitor their childs hobbys.

link   
*** ATTENTION ***

The discussion is "why video games are bad".

Do not discuss each other and stop the name calling, including "troll".

Your post will be removed and you will be post banned.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   

These games are specifically designed to cause severeaddiction. 11 million just in world of warcraft How is that alright, at all? It goes hand in hand with every point im trying to make. VIDEO GAMES ARE BAD FOR SOCIETY.

I can quote over 56000 people, and how one game has sucked them in and ruin there life, or for the second time

wowdetox.com...

You can read them yourself.

And I can quote you quote for quote what ADDICTION actually is!! Are you even reading my post or coveniently ignoring them because they speak the truth?

YES people become addicted, NO it is not the fault of the game, it is LACK OF SELF CONTROL!!

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join