It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Video games are bad: Heres why

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hiasyouwant
reply to post by Hiasyouwant

Are you telling me it is 100% impossible for someone to play Second life, engage in sexual acts with a minor (even the image of a minor) , and not act on it in real life because second life wasn't enough satisfaction anymore?

Equally as possible as someone doing the same from something you said.

The actions of another are not the responsibility to prevent from the creator of the item. Is a girl at fault for looking attractive to a rapist? Is the designer of the dress she wore?
edit on 1-7-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

reply to post by SaturnFX

I'm not talking of puzzle solving games and the likes of those..

To quote YOU directly just a few posts back....

""Let's get something straight, my overall premise is video games are bad. Not just talking violent games.

I'm speaking about sudoku or bejewled..

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mister_Bit

reply to post by SaturnFX

I'm not talking of puzzle solving games and the likes of those..

To quote YOU directly just a few posts back....

""Let's get something straight, my overall premise is video games are bad. Not just talking violent games.

I'm speaking about sudoku or bejewled..

I know, they are bad, as you say yourself, computer games are bad, not only the violent ones.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

But according to you, it could not have possibly sparked any extra desire? Please be clear. We are talking about video games, yes a pedophile can see a young girl and think hmm... so that makes it okay for pedos to engage in these acts in a game? I don't think so pal.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Because it's not real. It's not ok, it's just his right to do what he wants. In the same way he could write a pedo manifesto and have a right to publish it.

It's his right. No matter how wrong it is.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Gorman91 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Mister_Bit

Holy crap, really dude?, I'm saying thisis not the games I'm talking about, and haven't mentioned anything of that sort. Just because Bioshock has puzzle in it, does not make it a puzzle game.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Yes it does. It's about puzzles. It would be no different than playing bejeweled with human organs.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

But this provides a unique outlet, a way for this to happen, and very easily spark real life pedo activity, like I keep asking; what happens when the game doesn't cut it anymore? They find a real child. May not have done that if they didn't get some satisfaction from Second life first.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nosred

Let's get something straight, my overall premise is video games are bad. Not just talking violent games. See my original post. World of warcraft is a big one, so is GTA, so is COD, so are these beautiful game's sceneries that some people often prefer over this world. And these are to just name a few. People spend thousands of hours on one game. Not 1 book. not 1 movie.

No one spends thousands of hours on one game. At most someone might spend one hundred hours replaying a large game such as those in the Fallout series.

I think I came close to 1k hours on left 4 dead (original) over a year or so...
should a zombie apocolypse break out...I am ready!

To me that is virtual reality, defenition correct or not. These games are to form a dumbed down dilusional sadistic society.

Video games have been proven to help make you smarter and improve brain function by requiring problem solving and dynamic decision making.

articles.cnn.com...:TECH

I think it depends which game overall...some games are really difficult and enhance your problem solving skills dramatically, some games are simply stupid (farmville).
would be interesting to have some experiments done...one group does nothing but puzzle games for a year, the other does shooters, etc...then do a before and after IQ test and general motor skills for comparison.
I am thinking something like portal would have more value than say, battlefield.

link   

Like I said, don't pu everyone in the same boiling pot. There areother things that turn people to those sort of things. I can name one...

Catholic priests
Go complain about that

link   

Or, they could have played no games and had a greater desire, or they could have played the game, felt satisfied, and never attacked anyone.

There is no constant. And therefore, no legal basis.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Holy crap, really dude?, I'm saying thisis not the games I'm talking about, and haven't mentioned anything of that sort. Just because Bioshock has puzzle in it, does not make it a puzzle game.

What about Portal then? It's a puzzle game, and it features violence. Half-Life 2 is a FPS/puzzle game, and it features violence.

Edit: And Bioshock is full of the "rapid decision making" that's proven to promote brain growth. If a game like Bioshock or System Shock doesn't get you thinking more than watching television does, you need to see a doctor.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Nosred because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:25 PM
link   

Holy crap, really dude? Do you even know what you are arguing for any more.... I will quote you again, directly...

"Let's get something straight, my overall premise is video games are bad. Not just talking violent games."

Bejewelled and other puzzle games are computer games are they not? Your argument is all computer games are bad... read your quote.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Thank you for those of you that do'nt bash me or call me a troll, and actually discuss your points of view here with me and against me. I'm open to further discussion, so any more points would be appreciated, I'll keep an open mind if you do. Those of you who want to just bash and hate.. Just stay out. Be back in a bit... Stay classy ATS

And to add, "Not just violent" does not automatically mean "puzzle" mmk? Theres about 20 genres of games. And yes, most of them do dumb us down or affect us negatively in some way. Least of all, I'll admit, are the pure puzzle games. I'm mainly discussing the extremities, as seen in my original post!

edit on 1-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-7-2011 by Hiasyouwant because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:28 PM
link   

But this provides a unique outlet, a way for this to happen, and very easily spark real life pedo activity, like I keep asking; what happens when the game doesn't cut it anymore? They find a real child. May not have done that if they didn't get some satisfaction from Second life first.

ehh?

If someone does something to a digital rendition of a minor, they will do it in reality?
If someone kills a digital image of a person, will they murder people in reality?
If someone etc...

Video games vent darkness and frustration..same with boxing a bag or drawing. darkness exists, ignoring it and closing all mediums of expression will only push it into supression followed by a unhealthy outlet...frankly, if someone wants to pedo it up virtually, let him/her, better that outlet than in reality.

I worry about people, and often wonder about those screaming stuff like games will make you violent or a rapist...makes me question them and their desires moreso than anyone elses...its like, ok...what is -your- experience with gaming to know this moreso than objective studys showing the opposite...

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

Thank you for those of you that do'nt bash me or call me a troll, and actually discuss your points of view here with me and against me. I'm open to further discussion, so any more points would be appreciated, I'll keep an open mind if you do. Those of you who want to just bash and hate.. Just stay out. Be back in a bit... Stay classy ATS

Its a valid and good discussion in my opinion.
Yes, many games are simply not meant for minors..the content and overall themes should not be introduced to a developing mind...
a filtering of games to avoid violence is important until they hit about 16 or so (when they start developing a sense of morality for lack of a better word) should be initiated...there is no reason why some 12 year old should be blowing up people virtually...they don't have that much darkness typically and complex puzzle games would be far more beneficial..or something like Wii or several of the Kinect games to get them off the couch is great.

so, a ratings system (which is already in place) should be simply pushed into more enforcement...but as far as some 22 year old having a crap day at work and coming home to set the town on fire is a far better result than him going out and fighting at the local pub because its his only outlet.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
The difference between serious gamers and the Columbine douchebags, is that real, true gamers know that it is an artificial world, and it ends there. Please do not play that "All those that play video games will do evil" card.
You just sound incredibly ignorant.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Not every person can be such the perfect christian as you are, and many different people are affected in many different ways by these games, especially growing up. If you can't see that, you are asleep. Blind and happy about it.

No he's not...you're just ignorant, and trolling to get a rise out of people. Leave this site please if you're going to troll

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gorman91

I'd go so far to say that video games are pretty much why I'm smarter than you, Stronger than you, more able to survive than you, have better morals than you, and why you are jealous of us all.

Pure awesome.

Digital gaming is the most advanced form of play there is. We have played since the dawn of man and mankind benefits from that play in uncountable ways. The more you advance gaming, no matter the content, the more you advance society. Play is never bad.

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join