It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Debunked" Define please...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
In a court of law, one persons word against another
isnt going well...

It should be the same on a forum..

Ive seen/read numerous threads were ppl state "That´s been debunked"...

A UFO thread:
1: Op claims its a ufo, (Unidentyfied Flying Object" as in UNKNOWN...
2: PPL come flaming its flares, planes, stars, planets whatever...
3: Case closed
4: Case is DEBUNKED

Debunked from being UNKNOWN??
Debunked from being a UFO??

Has the object in question been pulled down, examined and veryfied??
If not, case is still open. As in UNKNOWN...

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   
you just gotta learn how to sift through the garbage to find the gems. we live in an age where people are having trouble drawing the line between real and fake. just use your own discretion/research. or sift through the garbage to find a post where someone actually has decent information/explanation.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Have to agree with you here, i'm glad someone has actually made this point as people saying something is DEBUNKED just because nobody can PROVE something is an 'alien spaceship' is really starting to annoy me.

Fair enough if someone says its a chinese lantern because there was some kind of celebratory occasion nearby. I mean, ya just have to put the two together.

But people saying something is debunked without a good back up to the claim... BIG NO NO!

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The definition of Debunked ....."To expose or ridicule the falseness, sham, or exaggerated claims"
The history of the word .

Word History:
One can readily see that debunk is constructed from the prefix de-, meaning "to remove," and the word bunk. But what is the origin of the word bunk, denoting the nonsense that is to be removed? Bunk came from a place where much bunk has originated, the United States Congress. During the 16th Congress (1819-1821) Felix Walker, a representative from western North Carolina whose district included Buncombe County, carried on with a dull speech in the face of protests by his colleagues.

Walker later explained he had felt obligated "to make a speech for Buncombe." Such a masterful symbol for empty talk could not be ignored by the speakers of the language, and Buncombe, spelled Bunkum in its first recorded appearance in 1828 and later shortened to bunk, became synonymous with claptrap. The response to all this bunk seems to have been delayed, for debunk is not recorded until 1923.
www.thefreedictionary.com...

I think that definition pretty much sums it up

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Some on ATS believe merely offering an alternative explanation amounts to debunking..

BTW, many UFO/Alien threads don't need debunking, they should be trashed.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey
In a court of law, one persons word against another
isnt going well...

It should be the same on a forum..

Ive seen/read numerous threads were ppl state "That´s been debunked"...

A UFO thread:
1: Op claims its a ufo, (Unidentyfied Flying Object" as in UNKNOWN...
2: PPL come flaming its flares, planes, stars, planets whatever...
3: Case closed
4: Case is DEBUNKED

Debunked from being UNKNOWN??
Debunked from being a UFO??

Has the object in question been pulled down, examined and veryfied??
If not, case is still open. As in UNKNOWN...

In a court of law it is not just one word against another.. It is witness, defendent, experts, law and evidence. All things put together proves innocence or guilt.

In the world of UFOs...we have witnesses, experts, science and evidence.

Something can easily be debunked if one can show that witness testimony and evidence and science match up (and expert testimony is nice)....

However, often we have JUST witness testimony - and that is flawed even in a court of law for many reasons.
Science can be used to show that something is this or that.
Evidence is best matched up with science and testimony.

Basically, something can be debunked, if debunked properly.
And yes, many things cannot be debunked leaving it.....unidentified.
edit on June 29th 2011 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Pretty much ditto to your whole post, GEL.

The only problem with debunking on ATS is that, oh so often, the only people that have the real meat that we need - the technical/scientific data - is the air force. If only....

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

I am glad you have put this out in the open. It also bothers me when people decide that something is plane or dust, a bug, or a joke. If the object/being/person/thing in question can not be and has not been physically examined than it is not debunked. In fact that word simply annoys me, however, this is just my humble opinion.

posted on Jun, 29 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
A naturalistic cause is always preferable to a Supernatural cause, because we know naturalistic causes exist, we don't know that supernatural causes exist. That's why a Photo or video is assumed to have a natural explanation, a photo or video is "Debunked" when that explanation is shown.

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by ThePuppyTurtle

So "otherworldly LIFE existance" is Supernatural...Hmmm

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 08:39 AM
link   
And to the thread:

There are no EXPERTS
There are no "science"

When we speak of Unidentyfied, how can there be?

Q/
"Something can easily be debunked if one can show that witness testimony and evidence and science match up (and expert testimony is nice).... "
You can show NADA untill you have examined the object in question!

As i belive, (we havent been visited....yet...perhaps) we wont be able to PROVE anything...
EITHER way.....
So in my book, ALL cases are open and alive....

posted on Jun, 30 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

My mistake, The correct word is paranormal.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   

Hmm, we must be talkin about diffrent things or my explanation
is not coming thru..

Life on other planets is supernatural and paranormal??

yea

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:15 AM
link   
I always have to laugh when someone claims to debunk something by merely offering their opinion based on supposition and assumption and no evidence or data.....

Youtube videos are a classic....and usually about proving the 9/11 OS.

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Oh yes they do have a delusions in their mind and soul,for some ideas i really dont understand either.with atser.it look like more easier to mocking other in some isued like UFO,Paranormal or New techs.what is this we are one team in this forum .And we are surpose to try to explain any issued the best we can make.but the came out is really not like what we can think of....... cant accept it either

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

Aliens will lose their paranormal status as soon as we find some. If the results of an alien autopsy are published in peer review, I will believe it. (That kind of thing will get into nature or science for sure).

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Pimander

Originally posted by greeneyedleo

Pretty much ditto to your whole post, GEL.

The only problem with debunking on ATS is that, oh so often, the only people that have the real meat that we need - the technical/scientific data - is the air force. If only....

Isn't that enough for you? (you asked for it)

I think that there is enough evidence of UFOs and their too advanced techology, like do you remember the UFO cases where Diamond shaped object caused hair loss to 2 women? I think there is enough evidence from the so many stories and calling everything a lie or everyone a lier who is doing it to make money is far unserious.

People have gone so far into disbelieving anything that differs from their daily PINK lives that they just ignore the true pictures, true videos, true stories because there are such. And maybe the hoaxes that appear contribute to disbelieving.

I will once again say, the Lacerta story, whether really by reptilian creature or not, the part that says 'You are ignorant in nature and that's good for us' - I couldn't agree more.

You want evidence> What's the point? What if someone really shows a picture or video of aliens,. what if it is 100% real, would you believe it? NO YOU WONT. You will call it CGI or fake. I can bet $$$ that even a real picture. more credible than anything ever so far will be debunked... so what's the point to continue discussions here?

Maybe a public announcement in all media around the world would do the trick - oh you will believe then right? Yes but what if they lie to you, you would believe the media more? You would, because only what you see on TV that's all you believe those who can't see further than their ... di..s you know.
edit on 1-7-2011 by Imtor because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miccey

Hmm, we must be talkin about diffrent things or my explanation
is not coming thru..

Life on other planets is supernatural and paranormal??

yea

It's neither , what it is is exobiological

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Miccey

I totally agree with you. That happens all the time on this site, especially this forum. People come on with a "it could be this" theory, and all the sudden everyone backs that claim up, says it's been debunked, pat the guy on the back with stars, and move on.

Meanwhile, nothings changed except that a new idea has been presented to the table, but is in no way actual evidence worth of calling it Debunked

There are a lot of skeptics on here who fully support any skeptic idea. Problem is, the believers aren't so active, or outspoken

So threads fall to the bottom, ignored, under the claims of being debunked, yet usually never leave this forum for the Hoax forum

So, there's a good example of "herd" mentality

posted on Jul, 1 2011 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Swills

well i had a load of hight time ufo sightings as well
as 3 daylight sightings i put a few up to test the
waters and i did have a few who believed our daylight
sighting even though we had no photos
so i keep most of my sightings to myself and family
im just glad the most important people in my
life actualy saw it with me (ufo over a55 chester to rhyl april 28th 2011 12.15 to12.50
and thats all that counts to me

ps the moved my op to the gray area why i still dont know why

edit on 1-7-2011 by philware because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join