It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Internet Censorship Storm Is Coming, Warns Schmidt

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Well here we go...

Internet Censorship Storm Is Coming, Warns Schmidt

Google Chair Eric Schmidt has sounded an alarm that Arab states in the throes of revolution will clamp down on the Internet. However, censorship of Internet content is not restricted to those countries or to authoritarian states like China, North Korea and Iran. "Great Britain, France, Germany and South Korea all filter the Internet, and the United States is moving rapidly into doing so," noted law professor Derek Bambauer.

Google (Nasdaq: GOOG) Executive Chairman Eric Schmidt foresees more troublesome days ahead between the search engine giant and the governments of the world. Censorship is on the rise around the globe, he said Monday, at a Dublin summit on militant violence that was organized by Google, according to press reports.

How freely information should flow has been a thorny issue for Internet companies dealing with the governments of more restrictive regimes. Several years ago, China's government demanded that Yahoo (Nasdaq: YHOO) turn over the identity of a user who had anonymously posted to the Web materials relating to the Tiananmen Square massacre. The result was the arrest, torture and 10-year jail term of Wang Xiaoning.

Google is no stranger to such pressures. It pulled the plug on its search engine activities in China due to the government's insistence that it censor certain terms.

We all know some countries around the world already sensor content, are we going to just sit here and put up with this when it happens? Schmidt goes on to talk about ways to fight this

Would love to hear our members take on this...

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:29 PM
link   
If it is decided that it is to be, what can we mere mortals do about it? Other than try to stay of them on the circumvention front and spend billions of our own to fight it, we're pretty much screwed. I don't see these ways of fighting it doing a whole helluva lotta good. Do you? Think about it. We don't own a lot of the stuff the web relies on, yet someone does. And most of them...well they just want the $$$. I hope I'm wrong, but...

That plus I'm pretty sure it's already happening on some levels...for sure way more than we know or can even imagine. And it's not just the censorship that's out of control or about to be. It's the invasion of privacy that goes hand in hand with it that worries me far more.
edit on 6/28/2011 by ~Lucidity because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by ~Lucidity

From the source....

How to Fight

To combat censorship, there are three possible avenues to take, according to Bambauer.

The first is to fight technology with technology: Activists can use proxy servers, virtual private networks, Tor, and other tools to bypass censorship and governmental surveillance.

"The challenge is that these tools can be hard to use, and censoring states are quick to try to block them, resulting in a cat-and-mouse game between security services and demonstrators," Bambauer said.

The second is to set up unfiltered networks for access. The State Department's "Internet in a suitcase" effort is part of this tactic, and activists in the Middle East have used everything from satellite access to long-distance phone calls to get around restrictions, Bambauer said.

"The last method is the sneakernet: to smuggle videos, messages, and postings beyond a country's borders using flash drives, satellite phones, and even donkeys."

edit on 28-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

From the source....

How to Fight

To combat censorship, there are three possible avenues to take, according to Bambauer.

The first is to fight technology with technology: Activists can use proxy servers, virtual private networks, Tor, and other tools to bypass censorship and governmental surveillance.

"The challenge is that these tools can be hard to use, and censoring states are quick to try to block them, resulting in a cat-and-mouse game between security services and demonstrators," Bambauer said.

The second is to set up unfiltered networks for access. The State Department's "Internet in a suitcase" effort is part of this tactic, and activists in the Middle East have used everything from satellite access to long-distance phone calls to get around restrictions, Bambauer said.

"The last method is the sneakernet: to smuggle videos, messages, and postings beyond a country's borders using flash drives, satellite phones, and even donkeys."

edit on 28-6-2011 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

What's your point?

First off, I read your source. Nothing new there at all.

Second, I addressed them.

All my points stand.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
If they are going to censor it then why would i bother to be on the net or pay my bill??
This isn't why I have the internet.
I am here for information.

I would just rather go back to the good ole days of ignoring hollywood,tv, and knowing newspapers were full of BS.

link   
Oops.

link   
I have said before and I will say it again we are losing the Internet bit by bit (pun intended). I see a day when the Internet as we know it now is a thing of the past. Computer sales will drop though the floor as there will be no more use for them than a fancy type writer or game toy like PS3. E-sales will be a thing of the past. And the information age will be set back to the mid 70's. We may even lose email and all have to go back to stamps. If TPTB had any idea of how powerful the Internet would become the general public would have never give access to it in the first place. They would have kept it all to them selfs. Now that they see what it can do they want it back and in the end they will get. So all we can do for now it enjoy it while we still have it.

link   

Amen Lucidity. Damn, we need to get our country back. Anybody setting up dial up BBS's and other "old school" type networks? ATS may need to make a mirror site with out all the graphics so we can access it with dial up.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:44 PM
link   

I'm sorry I must have missed the additions you had added while you edited your first post when I was replying with additional information.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69

I'm sorry I must have missed the additions you had added while you edited your first post when I was replying with additional information.

Naw...that part about the technology was there from the original post and my edits were pretty rapid. But thanks

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   
They are only going to make themselves an enemy, a virtual army of millions of angry users who will eventually realize their true strength in numbers.

Bring it.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by ~Lucidity
Naw...that part about the technology was there from the original post and my edits were pretty rapid. But thanks

Whats your point?

You replied three times and edit all three including your first post and added more information. I on the other hand was on the phone while simply adding information from the link to address one of your questions in your original unedited reply.

Want a Brownie?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
free internet users are like a wild animal.
Once it gets use to the free taste of blood,
it can never go back to regular dry dog food.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:00 PM
link   
This is nothing new, the internet has been censored and people dont do anything about it, nor will we, let them crack down on it, there isnt enough americans that care, everyone here is worried about their next haircut, how can you expect people to take time out of their day to stand up for what they believe? Every time they try they get thrown in jail, labeled as terrorists, and harassed. We simply dont have the balls our forefathers do, not enough of us at least. Our only hope is hoping the world just ends soon. Imho, lol. And no disrespect, i just try to be realistic.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
Goverments are going in VERY dangerous waters with this actions ..if Censorship storm pass unexcusable lines,i see World Wide Web revolution and some lynching.
edit on 28-6-2011 by xavi1000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by youareblind

Well it might not seem like much to some but I've already been getting a This video is not available in your country garbage on Youtube etc etc etc. The internet is for the free exchange of ideas and information. I had a hunch this would be the case sooner or later here in the US while I watched first Google then Yahoo get put through the proverbial ringer in China.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
I am trying my self not to go into a creating spree with new threads so I find it funny part of what I wanted to write as my OP works here as a perfect response....

Censorship...
what forms of this are already here...

I see the light touches already...

but to start this out right I have my own definition...
Some agency denying access to information for any stupid reasons...

official...

censorship

Censorship is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.

well I have some of my own that annoyed me...

I seem them as tools for those in control....

vevo

Vevo (stylized as VEVO) is a music video website. It is a joint venture among Sony Music Entertainment, Universal Music Group, and Abu Dhabi Media[3] with EMI licensing its content to the group without taking an ownership stake.[4] The service was launched officially on December 8, 2009.[5] The videos on VEVO are syndicated across the web,[6] with Google and VEVO sharing the advertising revenue.[7]

VEVO offers music videos from three of the 'big four' major record labels: Universal Music Group, Sony Music Entertainment, and EMI.[8] Warner Music Group was initially reported to be considering hosting its content on VEVO,[9] but subsequently formed a rival alliance with MTV Networks.[10] There are more than 30,000 videos available on VEVO.[11]

note that their is no controversy sub-section....

and it is a protected page.... lol... talk about 1984... well I am going to complain... see what happens

protected

this strategy allows info control.... time to forget...

it posted before I was completely ready but it is only one of the tools... I agree with the op and the writer
edit on 28-6-2011 by ripcontrol because: because fate is humorus

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
The internet I knew is already a thing of the past.

Personally I don't like the new internet... but thats another topic of discussion.

As long as people can log on and check their email, I think (unfortunately) the majority will just allow censorship to happen (kinda like when they put parental advisory stickers on everything back in the 80's).

People like us, who really want to know whats going on, will find new and better ways to implement tools like Tor.

Just like once upon a time all you had was napster, now you can't even count the number of p2p's in the world. (yeah I know there were other ways before and besides napster, but most people don't know that)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   
Its amazing that the world has made the internet or virtual cyber space an object that can be tamed or censored.

I do not believe this will be of any benefit to anyone - even governments.

Once the REAL news and sites are censored the internet might go the way of the hand written letter, useless.

The internet is the first step to censoring how HUMANS think!! That is my opinion!! Soon we will all be banned from thinking certain thoughts.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by ripcontrol

this is part of the originally issue...

it is from the discussion page... I offer it as a link from the site for readers here to view and think for yourself....

talk vevo wiki

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join