It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Atheists, be honest. We know it, you know it.

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
I am a fundamentalist agnostic - there's non commitment for you!

I don;'t look for contradictions in the bible -they come out and grab me.

I went off the bible when I read about Noah. God was so angry towards man, he decided to kill all the animals except 2 - even though it was only man that had angered Him. He decimated EVERY living creature through no fault of their own. Here was an omnipotent that behaved worse than Hitler, Saddam Hussein and ll the rest of the despots rolled into one. Sorry not my type of God - you can keep him.

As for the opening senetnce about Aetheist like their drink too much - the sheer irony. Most people see drink as acceptable because the first miracle at Canaa -where Jesus produced wine when it had run out, thus gibing the green light to humanity allowing everyone after him to become alcoholics. Now if he had gave a great speech about enjoying yourself without the wine, I would have been impressed but he went for the soft option miracle of damaging everyones kidneys.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Lionhearte

The real reason you will not believe in Christianity is because it would interfere too much in your daily life. You'll feel like you're being forced to stop drinking and smoking and all the things deemed "wrong" by the Bible that you'll soon start to think that it's nothing more but "control"

I stopped reading here you prejudiced idiot. I don't believe in that fairy tale crap- and I don't smoke, drink, do drugs, drug others and I am faithful to my wife. What the hell do you think an atheist is!? Seek help, you've been brainwashed.

PTX

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Annee

you may tell him yourself, he is coming soon!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
God was an alien
Jesus was a cult leader

Yes there was a creator - I do not know if the creator is a sentient being, I have no proof either way.
Therefore I am agnostic

The bible contradicts itself because LIFE contradicts itself. Put that aside, and its a great book full of good stories, life lessons, and basic rules that most people can agree on.

Theism MIGHT be correct, and God MIGHT be good... but from personal experience, organized religion is inherently evil.

I do not have to believe in YOUR god to be spiritual.

And I would never claim to be an atheist, because I don't know for sure - and neither do they.

Originally posted by templar knight
I went off the bible when I read about Noah. God was so angry towards man, he decided to kill all the animals except 2 - even though it was only man that had angered Him. He decimated EVERY living creature through no fault of their own. Here was an omnipotent that behaved worse than Hitler, Saddam Hussein and ll the rest of the despots rolled into one. Sorry not my type of God - you can keep him.

LOL Noah is only on like page 3 man, why didn't God asking Cain "where is your brother" turn you off? For someone who's omniscient/omnipresent/omnipotent, he sure likes to ask a lot of questions.

Anyway, God decided to kill the "giants", God also admits he's jealous, and he says you should not have other "GODS" (with an S) before him. Leads me to believe there's more than one.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Forevever because: I gave a reason but they deleted it

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

There is nothing in the bible about stopping drinking & smoking. The funny thing is, you come off like a 15 year old that has never experienced anything anyway (as do alot of the christians online). It is alot easier to be raised with fear of anything "evil", never try anything new, and then espouse how righteous you are for being clean of evil habits. I, for one, love to try everything once, then make up my own mind. I drink, I smoke, I don't believe in god..yet I am moral, have a conscience, and try to do the right thing...and guess what...I'm happy!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 05:59 PM
link   
i dont believe in christianity because im not a crazy idiot with an imaginary friend

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Warpthal
You only hear atheists complain about Christianity. This is because they were exposed to it at a young age and were resentful towards it. Atheists should try other religions, that don't have to be based on god.

Can you suggest some?
I thought all religions had a god/gods or god like figure

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lionhearte
You don't know what true Christianity is about.. because you're not a part of our family.

I was a Christian for the first 35 years of my life.

But you're welcome to join.

Is this how you're trying to witness to other people and bring them to the Lord? Insult and degrade them, then ask them to join your "family"? Are you kidding me?

Jesus, if I wanted to be a part of something, it wouldn't be because someone shamed and insulted me into it. What are you thinking?

And yes. I have studied the bible. I have read it. I don't drink or smoke or party. I have very high morals and good values. And no desire to change. I'm VERY happily married and have a wonderful life and I am free from "sin". I'm GOOD.

So, no, thanks.
But you keep on your campaign to save people. I think you'll likely turn more people toward atheism with your current approach, but whatever floats your boat.

Benevolent Heretic

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by truthlite

Originally posted by megabytz
reply to post by TylerDurden2U

False! Another myth propagated by the religious.

I have been in terrible situations since I abandoned christianity and it never crossed my mind to turn to god. Many people come out of horrible situations only to lose their faith.

I view god as completely fictional so calling out to god in stressful situations would be like calling out to superman.

Look at Christopher Hitchens, I am fairly certain that he has not called on god.

Theists also like to lie about prominent atheist on their deathbeds. Darwin being the most well known example.

"No atheists in foxholes" is a disgusting cliche. The religious just cannot imagine that people are completely free of god in their life.

100% sure that if you were on a plane crashing to the earth the very last words from your mouth would be OHHHHH MYYYYYYYYY GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!!!!!!!!

I also say that when I have a serious bout of diarrhea, but it's just a figure of speech

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by xxblackoctoberxx
i dont believe in christianity because im not a crazy idiot with an imaginary friend

I don't know whats most sad about this ...
the comment
or the fact that someone starred it

I had a whole paragraph typed out in response then decided you're trolling. Move along.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:16 PM
link   

gzz man, you are so selfish to think that way. you insulted me. ok ok i know that you dont care for insulting me (or you do? nevermind) or hundreds or thousands of other people with your statements, and i know that you dont even accept what i said now, but it is truth.

i can tell you honestly that when i read your text i got angry. not sure what your motives are or do you have any, and yes i agree that there is some intelligence in you, gzz that was hard to say, but anyway...

cant remember whole sentence, but there was one that i really like.
it is really great mystery how even intelligent people can have so stupid beliefs like example yours.
your "intelligence" is when you can give good answer (as you think) to any question, and there is no doubt that you have all answers, no doubt at all.

but your "intelligent" answers, to me or most are not answers at all. you maybe can impact on dumb masses with your neverending story, but in fact your answers are dumb, really, and yes we heard them lots of times, they are used over and over again even if we (the enemies) dont accept it.

im so happy for you found your god, and that you go to haven.
i also believe you are happy for me to find my magic group of warriors, and that i will become one to, and to defeat my primal enemies like fear and others, and to grow more of my personal power so i could break wall or to distort reality, to experience other worlds inside of this reality on my path to freedom in form that i cant even imagine how it looks like from this point.

i could only hope that i would become all that in this life, and hoping is my enemy.

you see, for me to come from this belief, back to yours would be spiritual suicide.

i can just hope you understand what im blabling about, but i know you dont, and that you assume you do.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Forevever

no im not trolling i just have gotten so sick of christians. this thread is titled "Atheists, be honest. We know it, you know it" and then i open it up to find out it is barely about atheism and more about christianity. also the tone is so pompous as if atheists or people who dont believe in christianity are lesser than himself.

i just dont know how to react anymore. i hate preachy christians,

edit on 6/28/2011 by xxblackoctoberxx because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:39 PM
link   
You can believe in a God or Goddess without believing in the Christian God and Trinity...God can mean different things for different people.

I see God in every beautiful act of kindness...

I see the Goddess in every new mother and child.....

I see God/Goddess in the universe, stars, seasons, trees, wildlife, oceans and my family......

Nature is my religion and I wear it proud, but some people call me an atheist just because I am not christian; and that is not right....

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by TylerDurden2U
reply to post by Annee

you may tell him yourself, he is coming soon!

Who is coming soon? If you are referring to Jesus, he has been coming soon for the past 2,000 years.

This is christians for the past 2,000 years

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
The OP may actually just be trying to get some "help", as a couple people have noticed. Religionists often find out that they are not on terribly good footing, and at some point, there can really be a sort of "panic" that sets in, even unconsciously. Post a thread to get the atheist goat? Why not?

Of course, some religionists I have known have been very intelligent people. One in particular was a famous scientist, and yet a very devout Christian as well. I actually met him at church, my family is still mostly religious, and this man sang in the choir. He was so happy to find someone who had read his books, and could talk about his ideas, that he shared with me unpublished material, that I found thought-provoking.

In the end, I still can't buy religion, even though many people far more intelligent than I am, have been believers of various stripes over the centuries.

Knowing this fact helps keep me respectful of believers, in general. And yet, so many religionists turn out to be intellectually lazy. Worse, quite a few seem to be intellectually DISHONEST as well.

If they were just dishonest with their kids, and their family, well fine, I suppose no serious harm done. Much is done to keep the peace, and I have learned over the years that the peace is a nice thing to have.

But, there is an old saying that sums up an important truth: To thine own self be true.

That's how it started out for me. I used to be religious, was raised that way. But I wanted to be honest with myself, so I began down a long road of asking myself things like, "Do I really beleive that?"

Sometimes, I would still manage to fool myself, and say, "Of course I do! Uh, well, deep down, I must believe it."

But, not always. Every now and again, the answer would be right there: "No, I don't believe this crap." And while it might disturb me a bit to find out that I may not believe some "important" thing that the next guy in the pew believed, I was OK "allowing" some things like this in my general belief-system.

The funny thing is, once you allow even "one" important thing (whatever that might be) to go, the other things might go as well.

Interestingly, I started to notice that I wasn't the only one who didn't believe, in fact, the more I thought about it, the more I seemed to observe "religious" people not believing either! No doubt, this was always the case, but I hadn't always noticed.

Then one day, I sat at a funeral. According to religious doctrine, it was pretty clear that this fellow "didn't make it". Not that he was a murderer or anything, but he was a bad'in of sorts, and how ever you sliced it, whether "saved", or "mortal sins", etc., he just wasn't going to be in that heaven the religionist was taught about.

He happened to be my best friend, I had known him since the seventh grade! He died at the tender age of 43, throat cancer, a life of too much tobacco (and other things). A religious person came up to me and mentioned how "sad" it was, because, "objectively speaking", he was "lost". Sure, a bit insensitive, but he was one of the few who was "serious" about his "faith" after all!

But, most significantly, this faithful fool was in the very small minority. As I looked around, it was OBVIOUS that almost NO ONE believed that this dead man was "burning in hell". His family, his wife, kids...They probably "should" have been complete wrecks, if they thought Daddy was suffering, and would do so, FOREVER.

There was a very good reason they acted this way. Because, they were SANE. They may have "believed" this, and that, but when push came to shove, this preposterous idea of "eternal" punishment was not a thing that they "really" believed in. Sure, Hitler and others were no doubt in such a place, but not regular people. Certainly not Daddy!

How many things are like that in the religionist's life? If they decide to be true to themselves, they might just find more than they bargain for.

S & F to the OP for reaching out, even if unconsciously. Some good things in this thread for all to learn about.

JR

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

First of all, it's this kind of attitude that makes me go from being indifferent about what personal beliefs one may have, to being outright opposed to it. There is nothing to back up your belief system, and for you to claim to know without doubt what happens after death is naive. To assert that everyone else secretly knows you are right is delusional.

I have never believed in christianity because it never rang true to me. A one of a kind being somewhere with some minimal interest in what goes on here makes no sense to me.I will never hit some rock bottom in which I "know" I am destined for some place I do not believe in. I fully support that everyone has a right to believe what they want to, but I expect the same courtesy. Frankly, christians are the worst about respecting others beliefs.

I have not researched the bible front to back, but I have read enough to know that for every bit of wisdom one can extract from it, you can find 10 more passages that are complete nonsense. The constant lifelong attacks from christians is annoying. A message to all christians doing the "lords work" by spreading the word: Everyone has already heard your wild claims. You are not going to find that guy that says, "Jesus? Who's that?". Those of us that do not believe do not want to continue being harassed with this foolishness.

Finally, a question about your post: Could you please direct me to the passages in the bible regarding gods opinion on smoking? Thanks..

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   
He sees you when you're sleeping, he knows when you're awake. He knows when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake. Ohhh you better not smoke, you better not drink.

Oops, got my fairytales mixed up.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   

Have you read anything other than the Bible from beginning to end? Have you connected with God in any way other than through the Church? What of other religions? What do you know about them? How do you know the Bible is truth?

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by BrianC
As an Agnostic I certainly won't be saved if God does exist. That being said, from a religious standpoint you are completely correct and most people are not willing to make the changes necessary to be religious because they are too difficult for people to embrace. The atheists on here (the noisy ones anyway) are ignorant and mean spirited and I would befriend a Christian who lives a moral decent life over a snotty atheist any day. You could argue all day as to whether Christianity is right or wrong, fact or fraud, but when it comes down to it, Christian beliefs help you live a moral life and make you a completely awesome friend and human being if practiced correctly. All non-religious people should respect the commitment that religious people make, the commitment to be good people.

I totally disagree. I have had conversations with christians in which I tried to explain to them that while I didn't believe what they did, I felt that what it was all about was trying to be a good person, trying to always do the right thing. That's what I thought mattered. They told me straight to my face that it didn't matter how good of a person I was, if I didn't believe in Jesus, I was going to hell. I asked them if a person who committed horrible crimes and then repented could get in to heaven, they said yes, the horrible criminal would go to heaven, but someone living a good life without Jesus would go to hell.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Firstly Atheist's don't believe in a high being(God) not just the christian god. Secondly, I can ask the same of any person that follows a faith blindly. What are you reasons for believing? Faith (which is nothing more than a firm belief)? Because that is what you were told? Why?

I am not an Atheist as I do believe there is something more, I believe we are all divine beings with a direct link as in connection to whatever that higher power is. I think Atheism steams from free will, parents allowing their children to decide for themselves what to believe or not to. I was raised in a Lutheran family my grandfather was an elder in the church, however it was never pressed on me I was allowed to decide when I was old enough anyway. I also think that the degradation of religion in general has played apart in it; who wants to be involved with a church that covers up for pedophiles or that generally promotes negativity towards anyone people or beliefs not like theirs.

To each their own as long as they do not press their agenda I am cool with any belief and willing to discus it. Organized religion has always done this, "Our way is the right way, your religion is wrong and ours proves it, ect ,ect..." Atheists don't want to hear about any god just like a christian don't was a Muslim trying to convert them. It seems simple to me..... Forcing a belief system on people does not work it only breeds resentment.

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join