Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Atheists, be honest. We know it, you know it.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by OptimusSubprime
reply to post by Lionhearte

Atheists need to realize that their non-belief in God is the same as believing that there is no God. Atheism is nothing more than another religion.

That is one of the most idiotic replies ive ever heard.....ive heard it MANY times though

Do you even know what the word "religion" means??? I doubt it so il help you out with a definition

"a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs."

or

"belief in, worship of, or obedience to a supernatural power or powers considered to be divine or to have control of human destiny"

So your well of the mark there dude/dudette.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Can you Christians please stop putting words in my mouth??
The reason I don't believe is because there are nothing to back up the delusional claims of people like you.
I am not one of those weak minded who blindly believe anything just because HUMANS wrote some fictional FANTASY book.

I am sick and tired of the likes of you thinking that life is about converting people to Christianity against their will.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Sounds Like you're a little upset OP. A bit jealous that others don't fear damnation and hell as you do.
This means of course that they can lead their lives as they see fit.
You cannot because you live your life in fear for your eternal soul.
You want these non-believers to question the way they live their lives and you want them to find fault with their beliefs, why do you want this? Purely because misery loves company.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by juleol
I am sick and tired of the likes of you thinking that life is about converting people to Christianity against their will.

That's impossible. You can't convert someone against their will. As the OP stated, some need to hit "bottom" and realize there is another way to live.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   
Hard-core Harry Potter fans freak me out, but they're much more tolerable than fanatical Christians. It's all the same though, both groups worship fictional characters. At least JK Rowling's cult members know the difference between real and make-believe.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Well...I class my self as an Athiest now as I dont belong to a religion.

I told my mother that I can never be a Roman Catholic as goes family tradition, cuz I simply dont believe In a man up in the clouds created all life, and and made intelligent humans, gave them free will and told them they must abide by his rules, dont bite the apple..yadda yadda..

But as much as I dont believe in "God", I havent completely wrote off a "higher" power.

I dont know what that higher power would be but theres certainly some unexplained things still, and I am curious about human concienceness and the soul

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:19 AM
link   
I am not an athiest nor a christian nor a categorized pawn.

I do ot buy into what modern religion has become. Its a massive scam that deludes people and makes them subservient and easily bent to the will of some unseen authority. This first and foremost is what religious people need to realize and ADMIT.

I believe in intelligent design of some sort but I know very little of what such a force could be but I am respectful to it and feel I have a duty to uphold to my fellow man and planet. We are our own gods.

Life itself must be enhanced and nurtured naturally. All life must be cared for. Morals need to be upheld.

I do not need to go to worship hour in a church or in front of the TV to be told how or what to do. Why? Because I feel what is right.

If someone can honestly tell me that I am wrong in my belief, then it is MY own belief that they are corrupted and wrong.

Im sorry but if the god and the saints that reliegion depictsare out there, then they are some of the most bloodthirsty and useless creators/protectors and just the fact that I can bring about such an opinions shows that they are wrong.

It is up to US to do good. Stop waiting on a messiah to come and fix everything.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Jugtalicus because: (no reason given)

PS: Religion has brought about nothing more than hatred, division, war and death. Especially now in recent human history and today, it is a weapon aimed right at the hearts and minds of the weak and the desperate. (think of the war on terror and the hatred against muslims). The wielder of such a weapon (tptb) can use it to his own massive advantage.

Back in ancient times they didnt have TVs to spread propaganda, they had reliegion. Today...we have both.
edit on 28-6-2011 by Jugtalicus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:26 AM
link   
OK, you asked so I'll be honest.

The reason I am not a Christian is because I do not beleive that i how God requires us to behave. I am very comfortable with my relationship with God. I beleive everyone can have the same relationship, and many Christians do. But being Christian is not a requirement. But - hey, go for it if that is what you want to do.

I am very happy beleiving what I ilke. I am happy for you to beleive whatever you like, but have never met a Christian who showed me the same respect. Why this desperate need to convert people? There are many paths to God.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:35 AM
link   
reply to post by Jugtalicus

Yea I agree, thats what I wanted to say but couldnt be bovard to write lol...cheers

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:45 AM
link   
Religare divides people, conquers them, and does it well.
Aetheism in itself is division among people.

The Sun is God and to the Sun, God would be the infinite ocean it floats through (aka the Universe (God)), without it you'd be dead, if your gonna worship something, worship the sun, not some book written by some guy a millenia ago and then rewritten for you handheld palm size convenience.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by reesie45

By reading your comments its sounds as if you and I have a lot in common. I would also like to add....

My kids (11, 14) asked me the other day if they are defined as Christians and what that actually meant and what exactly was Jesus. I explained to them that Jesus was not a Christian and that he didn't preach a Religion per say. He preached love.

I do not like labels as it separates us and that is something a human suffers IMO from the time they enter this world from the womb.

We as people have suffered long enough from people saying it is "their way" and not the way ones own heart leads them. Brain washing people and scaring them to believe in something is wrong.....again, IMO.

For me...my past experiences should have lead me away from the One Creator I call God. Instead I pursued Truth for a period of five years and every single day was devoted to "finding" HIM.

I can say that on more than a few occasions I was lead a certain direction and not only do I think I found Him but also found PEACE. Peace that resides within my own experiences and the way I view the world and people around me is more loving as well.

In my opinion everyone gets to Him their own way as He made us all different in so many ways. We get to Him by loving and seeing the world and people for what they truly are.....imperfect.

As a whole though we are all connected and the Energy that we put out whether it be positive or negative never ceases to exist. It is a circle so be careful what you contribute to this circle.

All I can say is what I say to my children...

Be all you can be while you are here. Make your own reality and always try and do whats right...not because it will make you "look" better or not because you are scared...do whats right because it is the right thing to do.

Do not say mean things to your brother/sister....do what you can for them if that means stripping naked to cloth them. Do not mock or plant seeds of hate because someone looks different or believes different...who are we to say someone is wrong. Thats too egotistical and it is not attractive at all! It shows ones true ignorance.

Find your way....the Universe is wide open and the truth is only "the way" to the ONE that has found "it" for himself. You must first seek Him out and do it with a loving heart....you will be amazed what you stumble upon... The gut feeling and the true sense of love is felt once you stumble upon the truth that resonates with your being.

Me and the kids ...... call ourselves "Seekers" if one looks for a label within us and our "personal belief".

Its personal so it cannot be defined by anyone except for the one experiencing the private and again personal relationship.

I have researched all religions...attended church after church of different religions and denominations....spoken to many and I can honestly say that I do not believe in one particular religion 100%.

That leaves me to my own relationship I deem real and true. For others..find your way! Its the best way!

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 10:59 AM
link   
I really shouldn't let myself get sucked into yet another religion debate on here, but here goes.

I don't really believe in God. I think we really don't know the true story of Jesus or if there's even any truth to it since the bible we have today is nothing like it originally was. However, that does not mean I'm a bad or evil person. The simple fact of the matter is I don't need to be told how to be a good person. If I burn in Hell simply because I can be a good person on my own, then so be it.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:10 AM
link   

When you can explain to me why you don't believe in any other religions, you will understand why I don't believe in yours.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You know I had a long winded answer for the op, but decided to just make a paper of it for my friends and family who do not understand my non-beliefs in no one great God like that of Judeo Christian beliefs.

But while writing it I realized after debating with missionaries, bishops, pastors, etc... and them being able to explain most simple ideas behind the belief system is flawed they tell me 2 things to drop the sbuject matter at hand:

"You have to have (blind) faith" - this is a cop-out.

or love this one - "My beliefs are my beliefs, why must you find fault with everything about them?"

Now I was raised Catholic, Born Again Christrian(20year addict) and found more questions about God/Religion caused me to revert back to my old addicted ways. So after trying for the first time to letting go of God, I have been sober for 10 years at 39, I am settled, happiest I have ever been and have 3 children that think the world of me.

I will not change my non-beliefs just to make someone else feel better about their religious beliefs.

PS: My wife is Mormon, her family is filled with 24 missionaries, 16 more being raised for such, her father a bishop of his faith.

I do not outright hate reigious people, I think alot of what is taught is of good use for cummity such as family/independant values, morales. But these things are human/animal nature, nothing more, nothing less.
edit on 28-6-2011 by NonC0nf0rmist because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by itsatrap

Its been written and handed down by many that Jesus was crusified for what he believed. This was the Gospel of right and wrong. Period. We still have not learned as we are quick to do the same to our fellow human (brother/sister).

"ALLAH is HE besides Whom there is none worthy of worship, the Living, the Self-Subsisting and All-Sustaining. HE has sent down to thee the Book containing the truth and fulfilling that which precedes it; and HE has sent down the Torah (Law of Moses) and the Gospel (of Jesus) before this, as a guidance to the people; and HE has sent down the Discrimination (judgement between right and wrong)."—Qur'an, Surah 3:3-4

And also read here.....Jesus was not only praised by Christians as a Messiah but even by Muhammad.

When the angels said, 'O Mary, ALLAH gives thee glad tidings of a son through a word from HIM; his name shall be the Messiah, Jesus, son of Mary, honoured in this world and in the next, and of those who are granted nearness to God; 'And he shall speak to the people in the cradle, and when of middle age, and he shall be of the righteous. She said, 'My Lord, how shall I have a son, when no man has touched me? He said, 'Such is the way of ALLAH. HE creates what HE pleases. When HE decrees a thing HE says to it 'Be,' and it is;"—Qur'an, Surah 3:38-48 Muhammad also speaks of the resurrection of Jesus: "Thereupon she pointed to him. They said, 'How can we talk to one who is a child in the cradle?' Jesus said, 'I am a servant of ALLAH. HE has given me the Book, and has made me a Prophet; 'And HE has made me blessed wheresoever I may be, and has enjoined upon me Prayer and almsgiving so long as I live; 'And HE has made me dutiful towards my mother, and has not made me arrogant and graceless; 'And peace was on me the day I was born, and peace will be on me the day I shall die, and the day I shall be raised up to life again.' That was Jesus, son of Mary. This is a statement of the truth concerning which they entertain doubt."—Qur'an, Surah 19:30-35 In calling Jesus a messenger, Muhammad was also correct. He did not mean that Jesus was not the Messiah. Muhammad knew that one could be a messenger and not be a Messiah… but as The Messiah, one is also a messenger. Jesus was both a messenger and The Messiah that Allah had promised! What is a Messiah? A Messiah is always known as "a Saviour… a liberator and a deliverer." God had promised to send one (Messiah) to pay the debt of sin for all mankind.

Jesus words were from our Loving Father the one creator....the I AM! Once in existence and awareness flourished the Love of the Creation was sent forth.

To me (IMO) our existence is but a blink of an eye and only here to learn and experience within an experience of Itself (God). The experience is always striving to be a "good one".

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   
You know another thing to keep in mind is how The Destruction of Human History could have a massive effect on what we consider "history and religion". It could effect the very "factual" basis of every religion.

Perhaps the real truth behind religion is VASTLY different than what we percieve it to be today.

You need to keep these things in mind. Not everything is always as it seems, you know?

Also, I want to add that in my opinion, religion truly teaches some of the most fundamental and important ideas for the sustanace of a good humanity. Im speaking of the morals, its hard to argue with those but unfortunately today, and perhaps in basically all of human history, it seems that these things are put aside and instead people are just simply taught to mindlessly worship and regurgitate the lituragies and mantras of each religion.

:/

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

I'm an atheist because the idea that God had a child is about as believable as him being spat out of a virgin. I don't believe in Christianity because every time they've established a church it goes against The Christ, Jesus teaching to love and respect all people regardless of belief.

Generally people who are seriously into religion, much like their new age counter parts are a joke, using words written thousands of years ago to justify evil today in an effort to bring about good.

As an Atheist I'm willing to admit the possibility that consciousness underpins the universe, the same consciousness that I and you have. There's no need for intermediaries who just take money and resources and oppress people from exploring the depths of their personal relationship with "God" or whatever you people call it.

Nothing good has come of religion. Every good comes from man. I don't need god to be good.

You on the other hand need religion much like every sycophant socialite needs a Prada handbag. It's like Neiman Marcus for the soul, a brand you are a part of because you have nothing within yourself. Religion is the appearance of faith for the benefit of others nothing more.
edit on 28/6/11 by Imhotepsol because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
I find the post to be slightly insulting, but that's how it goes.

Yes I have read the bible front and back, I've attended many different types of churches trying to find my "home" in the Christian world (up till about 10 years ago) and it just isn't for me. I got tired of hearing preachers give their in depth interpretation of what a passage means when it says nothing of the sort.. injecting their own bias into their sermons.. and the general attitude of the congregations in general.

Most of the groups I'd witnessed looked down on anyone who was in another sect of Christianity, they didn't do much for the community but they did plenty for their own congregation.

I don't believe in God for many reasons.. primarily that there is no evidence supporting the idea.. Many of the bible stories are based on other stories and have been greatly embellished, for example there's strong reason to believe the story of Noah was based on The Epic of Gilgamesh but was modified to incorporate morality themes..

My reasons for not believing have zero to do with my desire to preserve a lifestyle.. I know many self proclaimed Christians personally who do far worse than I ever could or would.
edit on 28-6-2011 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
You only hear atheists complain about Christianity. This is because they were exposed to it at a young age and were resentful towards it. Atheists should try other religions, that don't have to be based on god.

posted on Jun, 28 2011 @ 12:00 PM
link   
Simple question, you'll get the most simple answer you've ever gotten.

I just don't, period!

No reason, no explanation, I never did, never will, it just doesn't jive with me, that's all.

Thanks for asking though.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6  7 >>

join